Good spells for Recaster

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi. I'm thinking of playing a Recaster (Races of Eberron) and I'm thinking of good uses for it's ability Metamorphic spell: Time.
This ability changes a spell with casting time 1 standard action and duration longer than 1 round to casting time 1 swift action and 1 round duration.
By now, the best I can think of is Sphere of Ultimate Destruction, Time Stop, Necrotic cyst (to use necrotic burst/eruption/dominate/tumor on the same round it gets the cyst) and Assay spell resistance.
I prefer wizard spells to other class spells... but I'm open to them as well.
Also if someone know a good use of Metamorphic spell: Space (I'm particularly confused about the last part, why would I want to reduce the distance between the creatures I can affect, if I can just not choose any unwanted creature), it would be good too.
I'll wait for your response, thanks.
if i read space correctly the targets of, for example haste, has to be within 15 ft from ONE other target. in the original version it has to be within 30 ft of ALL targets.
Wow... you were right...
I didn't understand it at all...
Thanks xD 
True strike would be a lower-level spell to use time shaping on when you need to assure a hit on a difficult target (like a true dragon with a scintillating scales spell active, or an especially nimble or small opponent) with a spell.  It's not big, but it's useful to have if you like orb spells and other ranged touch effects, and you lose basically nothing from the spell's effect.

Doesn't assay spell resistance already have a swift casting time?

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Fulminating Crab, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome LurkerIronglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
True strike
 would be a lower-level spell to use time shaping on when you need to assure a hit on a difficult target (like a true dragon with a scintillating scales spell active, or an especially nimble or small opponent) with a spell.  It's not big, but it's useful to have if you like orb spells and other ranged touch effects, and you lose basically nothing from the spell's effect.

I thought it was 1 round duration. Anyway it's kinda weird, because it doesn't have a specified duration ("see text"). It's a weird point, depends on the DM.

Doesn't assay spell resistance already have a swift casting time?

Yea, you're right. I always forget that, because it seems to be an excelente spell even with standard casting time xD
I thought it was 1 round duration. Anyway it's kinda weird, because it doesn't have a specified duration ("see text"). It's a weird point, depends on the DM.

It effectively lasts until the end of the next round (which should be more than 1 round), since you've got until then to make your next attack roll.

As you say, it does depend on your DM, but it seems like a pretty fair use of the recaster's ability.

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Fulminating Crab, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome LurkerIronglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
Yea... probably is... 
any other idea? 
what about extended true strike?:D
what about extended true strike?:D

It's basically the same. The thing isn't that True strike's effect duration isn't longer than one round. It's because it's description duration is "see text", which isn't literally "longer than one round". That's why it depends on the DM.
If the description duration reflected the text's duration it would be probably "longer than 1 round" because, as the PH say's "
Effects that last a certain number of rounds end just before the same initiative count that they began on.". So it'd be already the "second round". 
the problem is, for most spells, where it would be useful, like invisibility and exp. retreat, there allready exists a swift version. perhaps it could work out for save-or-die spells, which normally disable for more than one round. first cast the normal version, a d if it doesnt worm cast the same again quickened, to shut down the target for at least 1 round.
  Surge of fortune, 5th lv cleric spell, GIVES a NAT 20 on a roll. Swift action nat 20( swift 3/day)Combined with a second level spell " find weekness " = Auto Crit ! Combined with touch attack ( combust ?) maximized (free) or you spell of choice. I prefer gishs, so HTH is not bad for me. Manyteeth 3ed lv wiz/soc spell...duration 3 rounds, or cast as a swift with 1 round duration. When i cast it normal, I use max on it( 60 points of force ) then a rod ( glove really for 1.5X the cost) to extend it to 6 rounds....The nice part is if you are invisable, it is hard to trace the effect back to you.
Where's find weakness from?
opps..."sense weekness" an Eberon book...I'll look it up
divination spell, 24 hr duration, auto conferm 1crit. ( from memory )
Might i suggest something simple, look up that list of spells that f*cking kill people. Or spells that don't suck listsan then use your imagination I'm sure using the recaster powers on a few of those would be especially dirty in play
   The point of asking is to help find spells the maximize the return of useing the Recaster class. I mentioned one that needs the Recasters special abilty to gain spells from anouthers spell list, as well as benifiting from the Recasters special abilty to make swift a duration spell. Something that both Manyteeth and Surge of Fortune both benifite from. Or one could use Manyteeth normally and still see great return. I tend to build from a spontainious casters point of view, so every spell must serve more than one use.
I agree with prius. You can always find the way to "optimize" a character, concept, w/e by yourself. But there are people that already played a recaster, or see the topic and instantly has a spell on it's mind. And that helps to build a character way easier. For example, I didn't even play usually with Complete champion, but the DM's I play with are starting to accept it. So now I have a whole book that I don't have time to read now, and if somebody already know it from usual play, it's better to ask. The same with spells from other classes that you don't usually play. 
Also there are spells that maybe you don't think are good spells the first time you read it, and then somebody suggest you that spell, and you find a good use for it (like manyteeth, which I didn't like it at first, but now I think it's a cool spell).

Going to your suggestion,  most of SoD spells are instant duration. Maybe there are some that aren't, but there are few.
Going to your suggestion,  most of SoD spells are instant duration. Maybe there are some that aren't, but there are few.

Cloudkill, Acid Fog, Vortex of Teeth, Evard's Black Tentacles, Solid Fog, Tidal Wave (I think tht's the name of it; an 8th-level druid spell in SpC)
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
     I have been playing Recasters since they were first introduced ( when I get to play 3.5 ). I have never posted before since I did not want to find tons of people useing " my " build...Years down the road, I think, who am I afraid will see it ? Recasters broke the cardnel rule  " Thou shalt not lose castor levels" I still loved them, Then when residual metamagic showed up....I was like " This was MADE for them".  My only complaint...only 5 levels. My DM for the campain houseruled my other complaint...Changling. I loved the flavor of the class, and lots of metamagic for free.
I like Murderous Mist (SC) for the Time ability, but it's a Druid spell so you have to spend a learning slot on it. If you do, you get swift action, Ref-based, no-SR blinding over a pretty good area.

OoP's characters
My current character in Real Adventures Play-by-Post games:

• Maeve in The Lost History of Istar

Sign In to post comments