Islands 2

80 posts / 0 new
Last post

Last brew for a bit.  This feels really well positioned.  I'll be spending most of my time refining Affinity and testing that, but I wanted to leave you guys with a lovely brew.

Mana Base
4 Watery Grave
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Godless Shrine
4 Drowned Catacomb
4 Isolated Chapel
2 Glacial Fortress
1 Swamp

Random Scrubs
4 Screeching Skaab
4 Skirsdag High Priest

Combo
4 Blood Artist
4 Bloodthrone Vampire
2 Cartel Aristocrat

CA
4 Ravenous Rats
4 Black Cat
4 Augur of Bolas

Spells
4 Immortal Servitude
3 Forbidden Alchemy

SB: 4 Gloom Surgeon
SB: 4 High Priest of Penance
SB: 4 Pack Rat
SB: 3 Purify the Grave

You pants Naya pretty fiercely with this and are generally well positioned in this metagame.   

Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
This indeed looks quite lovely; awesome work! 
For clarity, your plan is to use a combination of natural death and (light) self-mill to bin your creatures, right?

"I will diminish, and go into the west, and there remain SgtPepperjack. Y'know, you really ought to come along with me."

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Have you actually tested this list? How does it pants naya??? Augur of bolas that almost always misses, skirsdag high priest cant activate on turn 3. Brewing is good, and I love immortal servitude, and I may be missing something, but to me, the list appears unplayable. 
Looks a lot like something I made when gtc came out, except with actually testing done and stuff :P
Meh.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

The plan seems to be drop chumps with possible random value, or not, and then Immortal for giant bloodartist drains. I was looking at green over blue for Elvish Visionary, Deadly Recluse, and other things you might expect. I was also trying to incorporate extort, though.

Spider Spawning !?!?
On second thought, green would give access to the aforementioned Elvish Visionary, Lotleth Troll, Grisly Salvage, et al.
Anyways, I think Servitude @ X = 2 is a pretty interesting idea for a deck.

"I will diminish, and go into the west, and there remain SgtPepperjack. Y'know, you really ought to come along with me."

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Recluse, Visionary and Troll and Spawning not only seem legit, but very John-esque.

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Blue gives you alchemy which has a lot of power behind it, filling your grave and giving you servitude at the same time. Green gives some interesting things though.
Blue gives you alchemy which has a lot of power behind it, filling your grave and giving you servitude at the same time. Green gives some interesting things though.

I think Alchemy into Salvage isn't a loss really. But the green creatures and spider spawning really takes this up a notch.

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

I agree that Alchemy is quite awesome, but IMHO, it's really the only thing blue gives this deck. I think that green is just more robust in general. My only real worry would be binning my Immortal Servitudes with Grisly Salvage. Alternatives would need to be found, I think. 

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

I forgot salvage existed, that's pretty wonderful actually. I don't like that it doesn't get you servitude though.
The augers are there for the dig as much as the CA. You need to hit your sorceries and as long as you can get to them fast enough you'll be able to do your owb magical unfair things.

That being said, is anyone else more enthusistic about Islands peering at Modern than they are about him brewing in Standard?
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
A quick Gatherer search  confirms that possible workarounds for Salvage binning a Serviture are few. Like, Serene Remembrance and Treasured Find. So, yeah.
I think playing the green creatures is the right call, but I'm worried that Troll/Your Opponent isn't going to be a good enough method of binning creatues. Splash blue for Alchemy?

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Treasured Find could work as redundant servitudes. Also I'll mention Creeping Renaissance for compleatness, though that was more for re-extorting.
I considered that, along with a few other things, but didn't mention it due to the high casting cost. 

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

I echo Niche's meh, but am inspired to try another attempt at my Standard Eggs list. I'm sure there's a card somewhere in Standard that makes it not suck....
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
Augur doesn't put into the grave.

Ill start caring about modern when building a deck takes less than 150$, when my game store runs modern events, and when they stop banning everything fun.
Oh wow, faith's reward is still in standard o.o I'm suprised I haven't made a terrible deck out of it yet.
I posted a pre-roation standard eggs deck on these forums that wasnt reprehensibly bad. NPH had spellbombs and kuldotha forgemaster and ghost quarter (and mox opal for speed). We still have ghost quarter (which is almost strip mine against some decks) but the format is so fast that brewing is difficult. Why burn at the stake when you can simply aggro out your opponent turn 4 (or even turn 3).  Also, we already have a legitimate combo deck in human reanimator, and so people should have graveyard hate that will hit a lot of "brews". 

Not saying brewing is impossible, but its hard to compete with the raw speed and power of a good naya humans deck, and at the same time have game against other decks in the format.  
Refine this and I'm on board. Why no snapcasters for that servitude? 
Have you actually tested this list? How does it pants naya??? Augur of bolas that almost always misses, skirsdag high priest cant activate on turn 3. Brewing is good, and I love immortal servitude, and I may be missing something, but to me, the list appears unplayable. 

HPoP and Mr. Gloom

Why no snapcasters for that servitude? 

7 mana
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
4 Watery Grave
3 Godless Shrine
2 Blood Crypt
2 Overgrown Tomb
1 Hallowed Fountain
3 Woodland Cemeter
2 Dragonskull Summit
1 Isolated Chapel
1 Temple Garden
1 Sunpetal Grove
2 Drowned Catacomb
1 Hinterland Harbor

2 Screeching Skaab
3 Skirsdag High Priest
4 Blood Artist
4 Bloodthrone Vampire
2 Cartel Aristocrat
4 Augur of Blas
4 Deadly Recluse
3 Lotleth Troll

4 Faithless Looting
3 Forbidden Alchemy
4 Immortal Servitude 
Ravenous Rats and Black Cat are the nut.
Show
Ravenous Rats and Black Cat are the nut.

They're the nut against control and midrange decks.

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

HPoP and Mr. Gloom

7 mana

HPoP and Mr. Gloom are both in your side. Thus, you almost certainly lose game 1, and games 2 and 3 seem mediocre at best. HPoP isnt that much better than deathtouch vs naya (block a 4/4 champion and then trade with it will be a common scenario), and gloom, while great, is largely negated by mayor. Im not saying you have no chance in a postboard scenario, but I even with the board I have a hard time seeing how you are close to favored. 

Some people expressed interest in a golgari variant, so I tried to build a golgari servitude list, still rough obviously

Land count is a bit low but we have villager, mulch, and salvage. There is a bit of an issue not drawing a servitude so I added ambition to help with that. Even with only 20 lands initial testing shows it can get a surprising amount of mana vs terrible decks (havent had the chance to test vs anything reasonable yet).

Maindeck gloom so you dont just fold g1 to aggro. Burning-tree into visionary to help throw up a defense. Because of how the mana works guildgate isnt actually that harmful. Considered strangleroot geist but its a bit tough on the mana, and I cant shaman into it, but it may just be better than shaman.  

EDIT: just smashed UWR control who went augur, reckoner, reckoner, flash in resto to 'blow me out' blink augur reveal counterflux, only I cast servitude for apporximately 30 in second main (triple artist). Also pulled out a close match vs conleys crypt ghast deck, winning one game on turn 5 through a turn 4 mutilate with a multiple burning-tree draw.

The deck is a lot of fun to play, but it really needs to draw a servitude to compete. If it does, woe to the control deck that taps out. I like burning-tree because it really helps provide sufficient pressure to actually make the control decks do something. Also visionary has been a boss, as expected. Id imagine the lack of removal vs cards like olivia to be quite scary. I think the werewolf also helps psych control players into mainphasing stuff. Gloom surgeon has been quite mediocre, but Ive only done testing vs control so far. 

HPoP and Mr. Gloom

7 mana

HPoP and Mr. Gloom are both in your side. Thus, you almost certainly lose game 1, and games 2 and 3 seem mediocre at best. HPoP isnt that much better than deathtouch vs naya (block a 4/4 champion and then trade with it will be a common scenario), and gloom, while great, is largely negated by mayor. Im not saying you have no chance in a postboard scenario, but I even with the board I have a hard time seeing how you are close to favored. 

Some people expressed interest in a golgari variant, so I tried to build a golgari servitude list, still rough obviously

Land count is a bit low but we have villager, mulch, and salvage. There is a bit of an issue not drawing a servitude so I added ambition to help with that. Even with only 20 lands initial testing shows it can get a surprising amount of mana vs terrible decks (havent had the chance to test vs anything reasonable yet).

Maindeck gloom so you dont just fold g1 to aggro. Burning-tree into visionary to help throw up a defense. Because of how the mana works guildgate isnt actually that harmful. Considered strangleroot geist but its a bit tough on the mana, and I cant shaman into it, but it may just be better than shaman.  

EDIT: just smashed UWR control who went augur, reckoner, reckoner, flash in resto to 'blow me out' blink augur reveal counterflux, only I cast servitude for apporximately 30 in second main (triple artist). Also pulled out a close match vs conleys crypt ghast deck, winning one game on turn 5 through a turn 4 mutilate with a multiple burning-tree draw.

The deck is a lot of fun to play, but it really needs to draw a servitude to compete. If it does, woe to the control deck that taps out. I like burning-tree because it really helps provide sufficient pressure to actually make the control decks do something. Also visionary has been a boss, as expected. Id imagine the lack of removal vs cards like olivia to be quite scary. I think the werewolf also helps psych control players into mainphasing stuff. Gloom surgeon has been quite mediocre, but Ive only done testing vs control so far. 

Is it possible Disciple of Bolas is better than tutors to find Servitude?  Granted you'd probably need a Bloodthrone Vamp in play to be more than a draw 1-2.  There's always the everlasting jankiness that is Revive, Treasured Find, and Wildwood Rebirth if you mill over them.

Deck looks sweet though.
Disciple of bolas is sweet if you have bloodthrone but unplayable otherwise so I dont think we can use it. Treasured find is a possible, if janky, answer to milling your own servitude, as a 1 or 2 of, worth testing. One possibility is to splash blue for snapcaster cutting the anti-aggro cards. This way you can snap mulch and salvage, and then lategame snap servitude. Its pretty sweet that if you being back snap and burning-tree you get the mana to snap a mulch, which may help enable a 'value servitude' whereas now 'combo-servitude' is the only option unless you draw a bunch of servitude. 

I know snapping a servitude or flashing back ambition seems unrealistic in a 20 land deck, but between visionary, mulch, salvage, and villager, the deck actually has a lot of mana. Your manabase will take a big hit by adding snappy though.

My testing vs mono-red revealed that lotleth troll is a beast vs aggro and is quite good vs boros reckoner. I am running a 2/2 split and side into surgeons and trolls post side to weather the aggro.  In my RDW match I lost a game on the draw by drawing all CIPT lands and falling behind. Pulled out a close win g2 using servitude which he hadnt seen. Game 3 he mulled to 4 and got hit by double rat. 
2-drops that are black and/or green to consider that arent in my deck
nightshade peddler: your dorks get deathtouch - anti-aggro
gatecreeper vine: CA is CA
strangleroot geist: a good 2 drop, undying works well with blood artist
knight of infamy: pro white
crypt creeper: SB vs reanimator
disciple of griselbrand: if you want more sac outlets
deadly recluse: anti-resto angel 
deranged outcast+mayor of avabruck: human shell 
thrill-kill assassin:One of the more aggro 2-drops available

There may be others worth considering, but this is what I found in a quick gatherer scan 
2-drops that are black and/or green to consider that arent in my deck
nightshade peddler: your dorks get deathtouch - anti-aggro
gatecreeper vine: CA is CA
strangleroot geist: a good 2 drop, undying works well with blood artist
knight of infamy: pro white
crypt creeper: SB vs reanimator
disciple of griselbrand: if you want more sac outlets
deadly recluse: anti-resto angel 
deranged outcast+mayor of avabruck: human shell 
thrill-kill assassin:One of the more aggro 2-drops available

There may be others worth considering, but this is what I found in a quick gatherer scan 

So I took your deck, added blue, went on MODO and just crushed a Jund player.  Certainly seems like there's something here.  The list I ran:

20 Lands
2 Watery Grave
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Woodland Cemetery
4 Breeding Pool
4 Hinterland Harbor
2 Forest

24 Creatures
4 Alchemist's Apprentice
4 Blood Artist
4 Elvish Visionary
4 Bloodthrone Vampire
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Gloom Surgeon

16 Other Spells
4 Mulch
4 Grisly Salvage
4 Tracker's Instincts
4 Immortal Servitude

Sideboard
3 Deathrite Shaman
4 Lotleth Troll
4 Pack Rat
4 Gnaw to the Bone

It needs a lot of tuning obviously but I'm exited to keep working on this.  The deck is really fun.  I'm not sure whether BUG or just straight BG is better.  Both have advantages I guess.  Usually I just grab black mana lands off of Salvage/Mulch for Servitude.  I think 10 sources is enough.
I like how streamlined your deck looks. It definitely takes the combo to the extreme. With current manabased a 3rd color shouldnt be a huge cost, as long as that color really adds something. Tracker's instinct is nice because you dont need the blue to cast, and you can cast it off an emissary. Apprentice seems like it would be good at blocking reckoners, and greatly improve the 'combo' aspect.

The side, of course, looks rough, but thats to be expected. Id suggest crypt creeper as 2-drop grave hate.
Yeah, can you tell I threw the sideboard together in about 5 minutes? lol

Blue definitely adds a lot if we're looking to go to all-in combo.  I considered Thought Scour and Chronic Flooding but, as you said, being able to cast Tracker's Instincts off of Emissary gave it the nod.   I think red presents some interesting options as well.  I wish I could play 1-2 Mystic Retrieval but 4 colors on 20 lands is probably too greedy, even for me.
As long as we're brewing...

Ghost quarter + faith's reward may be going a bit deep. In fact, the entire list is a bit ridiculous, but woe to the opponent that fails to block the bloodthrone vampire... Also, this deck is meant to punish the decks that have dropped basics.
Nice.  I like the idea of modeling the deck after Modern Eggs lists.  Maybe there's a better way to win than Blood Artist?  I'm not sure what that would be exactly, just theorizing.  Laboratory Maniac+ Disciple of Bolas? Essence Harvest?  Not sure either of those are better or even worth trying, just ideas.

Edit:  The more I think about it, Blood Artist is probably best.  Everything else is probably too much work and the lifegain is far too relevant against aggro.  I think Pack Rat is fine as an alt win-con in case of Slaughter Games.

New decklist too

20 Land
2 Watery Grave
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Breeding Pool
4 Hinterland Harbor
4 Woodland Cemetery
2 Forest

24 Creatures
4 Elvish Visionary
3 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Alchemist's Apprentice
2 Snapcaster Mage
3 Gloom Surgeon
4 Blood Artist
4 Bloodthrone Vampire

16 Other
4 Immortal Servitude
4 Mulch
2 Tracker's Instincts
2 Chronic Flooding
4 Grisly Salvage

Sideboard
1 Psychic Spiral
3 Crypt Creeper
3 Pack Rat
4 Gnaw to the Bone
2 Lotleth Troll
2 Abrupt Decay

Gnaw to the Bone is completely bonkers.  I board it in against virtually every deck that wants to win by turning creatures sideways.  It's often a 2-4 turn Fog.  Love it.
If you're in Blue, you should probably run a little permission to protect le combo. Or bring back Ravenous Rats.

I like the Gnaw to the Bone tech though. I like it a lot. 

BTE seems like it would be better in an actual Eggs list, with Ghost Quarters and Faith's Reward. I don't really see you needing mana or a free dude at any point. 
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
Having tested some similar lists, BTE has really been an MVP. He is a card that gives you the mana to help cast the last couple 2 drops in hand after you cast servitude, or the two drops that you draw off visionary when you cast servitude. Also, a 'free' servitude is often just what you want with this deck, as getting in a couple points of damage early can be critical vs control, and a 2/2 body can help trade early so you dont get absolutely run over by the faster decks. GG is a big issue for the manabase though, and my latest version tries to embrace this by changing the mana to also support strangleroot geist. One card that has been solid to me in the aggro matches is nightshade peddler. He works great paired with rats or visionary or gloom surgeon, and turn 2 emissary, peddler, pair is a solid roadblock vs aggro. 

That said, most of my testing has been with the eggs version, so that may make me more favorable to BTE.

Here is my current BUG maindeck

I cut blue except for the splash and tried to solidify the mana. Guildgates and taplands arent so bad when you have no turn 1 play and plan on casting a 2 drop turn 3. Also I feel in order support GG in the 2 mana slot and 2BBB at 5 you really need all the duals you can get.  As one of the strongest 2 drops I definitely feel strangleroot is worth testing, especially as it has great synergy with the combo. It also plays offense and defense well, which means we dont have to decide on an "anti-aggro" or "anti-control" maindeck. 

EDIT: Gnaw seems interesting, but SBing with combo is always hard. Cutting creatures is dangerous, and you and youll find yourself wanting to bring him in vs decks that have ash zealot. Against many aggro decks Id rather have either gloom surgeon, knight of infamy, nightshade peddler, or lotleth troll. I know we want some number of "anti-aggro" 2 drops, crypt creeper for the grave hate, but Im not sure about the remaining slots. pack rat can be good vs some slower decks that cant interact well with it. We may want a couple cards to 'hate the hate'. abrupt decay is one answer, but doesnt hit witchbane orb which really hurts us.  
Cool takes so far everyone!
Show
Totally going to make a red version with tibalt and ash zealot and some things...
Totally going to make a red version with tibalt and ash zealot and some things...

It's funny you say that.  One of the biggest things I've found with my list is inconsitency.  When you go off on turn 5-7 the deck is great.  But there's a lot of times where you just don't draw the Servitude or mill over it and the deck struggles to win.  I'm thinking that going green to red may alleviate some of these inconsistencies.  Very conceptual list here mind you, and I've only played 1 match with it, but it felt good going off on turn 5.

21 Land
4 Blood Crypt 
4 Dragonskull Summit
2 Rakdos Guildgate
2 Izzet Guildgate
4 Steam Vents
4 Sulfur Falls
1 Watery Grave

23 Creatures
3 Ash Zealot
4 Blood Artist
4 Bloodthrone Vampire
4 Butcher Ghoul
4 Gloom Surgeon
4 Ravenous Rats

16 Other
4 Faithless Looting
4 Wild Guess
4 Izzet Charm
4 Immortal Servitude

Sideboard (Very much subject to change)
1 Negate
1 Dispel
1 Void Stalker
3 Crypt Creeper
2 Rolling Temblor
3 Pack Rat
4 Boros Reckoner

No Tibalt and I'm not sure if Zealot belongs (flashing back Looting hurts).  Zealot does seem pretty amazing vs aggro though.  This may be weaker to gy hate now though.  Thoughts?

Maybe Nazi or Boros or something. So many possibilities...
Sign In to post comments