Immediate Reaction vs. Charge

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Situation:

The PC uses his move action to move his full speed and then charges a dragon (we'll not discuss the wisdom of said action, just the rules entailed), reaching an adjacent square with his final square of movement.

In the room with the dragon is a trap that takes an Immediate Reaction vs. "any creature that approaches within 5 squares of it."  The fifth square is the square that the PC has just stepped into with his last square of movement.  If the trap hits, the effect is "The target uses any remaining actions on its turn to run toward the western door*... and turn south."

* this is the door he charged through one square ago

What happens?

According to the Rules Compendium, an Immediate Reaction can interrupt movement (bolding mine).  Personally, I would extend that to being able to interrupt between the final movement square and the actual swing-the-sword part of the charge (though I can see how that's up for debate, too).

If that's true, the trap goes off, and it hits the PC.  But the PC has no more move actions (or standard actions that can be traded for move actions) this turn.  So since the PC can't turn tail... he gets to make his attack?  That both does and doesn't seem right!

Or does this not even get this far?

Opinions wanted.  Thanks for your help.
Immediate Reactions occur after individual squares of movement but can interrupt the general action of moving. Does nothing in this case though. The PC's movement is over and he gets to attack and has no actions remaining.
Sign In to post comments