Doran Deck

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
It looks like a fun decklist to play. I'm sure you are aware of how the mana base could be improved. One card that doesn't get a lot of attention is murmuring bosk which is searchable with treefolk harbinger. It really helps to fix the mana for a doran decklist.

One thing I would consider is adding more treefolk harbinger or maybe green sun's zenith or summoner's pact. considering how important Doran is to the overall strategy I would have more ways to get him into my hand and onto the battlefield. I might cut diabolic tutor for green sun's zenith or fauna shaman. I'd probably cut lotus cobra. unstoppable ash and orchard warden are also cards which could probably be cut. I guess if there are a lot of sweepers in the metagame unstoppable ash becomes a nice choice and it can allow you to get multiple uses out of treefolk harbinger, however, I would at least cut one of them because of the huge downside if you don't control a treefolk or warrior when you draw him.

I would also include wakestone gargoyle. Considering that there are only 2 cards in the deck currently that can get the defenders attacking and the number of defenders in the decklist I feel like this card would benefit the decklist (although my first inclination is to take out the defender themed cards from the list).
Don't be too smart to have fun

One thing I would consider is adding more treefolk harbinger or maybe green sun's zenith or summoner's pact. considering how important Doran is to the overall strategy I would have more ways to get him into my hand and onto the battlefield.

I strongly agree with this. You're going to have a hard time winning without Doran on the board. Perhaps cut the Grizzled Leotau for Harbingers -- as midsize vanilla beaters, the Leotau are some of the weaker cards in your list.

You may want some kind of additional absurd buff spell beyond Doran. Think about Coat of Arms, Door of Destinies, or Collective Blessing. Your low-power guys need some help ending games, and a 'Plan B' could become necessary.
Birds of Paradise and Ohran Viper make good editions. 

Something you need to decidie is if you are going treefolk tribal or not. If you go wtih the trees, you probably want to ditch the artifact cards. Green Sun's Zenith and Treefolk Harbinger would add a lot to the treefolk build. Deadwood Treefolk will help bring back your dead Dorans (they will die a lot) and other important cards. 

Chameleon Colossus is pretty awesome too. It counts as a treefolk, and the boost based on power still pumps toughness.  

Face it, you're pretty much here as a meat shield.

If you are at Georgian Court Univeristy or Monmouth Univeristy PM me. If you are out by York College of PA, I can help you reach the group there.

Thanks for all the help.

I think my deck has improved with all your advice. 
If you post up the new list we can help more. When you are ready, you will know what is best in life.

If you are at Georgian Court Univeristy or Monmouth Univeristy PM me. If you are out by York College of PA, I can help you reach the group there.

I would cut the Slagwurm Armor for more Ohran Viper
OR
Cut the armors and vipers for +1 Timber Protector +3 Bosk Banneret to get your deck moving faster. 

The Slagwurm Armor feels like a win-more card. Sure 4 mana for +6/+6 is awesome, but... OMG you are so dead to fliers!

Yeah, bit of stream of consciouness there. But, you really need some anti-fling cards. Hurricane, Squall Line, Cloudcrown Oak, Silklash Spider, Gravity Well, Raking Canopy, you need something man. Your deck will be great on the ground, but you have nothing for stopping drakes, dragons, angels demons, vampires, and other things that drink Redbull.

I think the curve is a little high even for multiplayer. I'd cut 1 orchard warden, 2-3 deadwood treefolk, 1 unstoppable ash, and 4 gravity well

add 
heartwood storyteller - I know early drops aren't popular in multiplayer, however, it provides some early defense as well as some card draw considering you only play 2 wave of reckoning, 3 door of destinies, and 2 maelstrom pulse for non-creature spells (if you cut gravity well) I guess it really depends on how many non-creature spells you intend to play and what your metagame likes to play but this is one of my favorite treefolk.
dauntless dourbark - considering this has become a tribal decklist this is frequently a HUGE trampler. Even though he doesn't interact well with wave of reckoning the way the other creatures do It's still a superb option in this decklist. Also consider dungrove elder, no trample and slightly smaller but costs only 3 CMC and has hexproof.
rootgrapple - Only one but the fact that it's searchable by treefolk harbinger means that you can get some planeswalker removal or destroy a land that might be causing trouble. It's actually pretty efficient when you get to draw a card (or when you cast it for 3 mana)
sakura-tribe elder - a ramp spell which doesn't trigger heartwood storyteller. Considering your curve I think that ramp spells will help (I guess this kind of depends on the speed of the games that you play so make these decisions based on the decks you think you'll be up against).

edit: I suppose you had gravity well in there for a reason. I think silklash spider is better in this decklist because it can help in more situations (although it's a bit more fragile being a creature). Still I'd rather have the option on on a creature but again it's a metagame decision.
Don't be too smart to have fun
I think Heartwood Storyteller is a bad idea. It will give your opponents more cards than it gives you. This deck can rarely give the cards to opponents, but opponents will give cards to other opponents. 

Dauntless Dourbark is a solid card, but without any way to deal with fliers Gravity Well is kind of needed. Maybe cut 1 Well and 2 Deadwood Treefolk for 3 Dourbarks.

Win or lose, Heartwood Storyteller speeds up the game, which is an important consideration.  From experience, the Storyteller nets me many cards before being killed off.  Your deck featuring so few noncreatures helps immensely.

The recommended Silklash Spider for flyer removal (or Squallmonger) is a fine idea.

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.