Are these fair? Part II

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Are these cards fair? Please comment on Names, Balance, Art (to some extent) and a bit of Flavour. Please? ANyway, Thanks for Looking.

A couple of side notes:

Arnaa's flavour does make sense, if no-one gets it by next week then I'll post about it and Keenjha is aimed entirely at EDH as Griselbrand is waaaaay to powerful for that format.

EDITS:

"PEOPLE DO THINGS FOR A REASON"

- Dave Shedden

Purphoros' Tokens

Dimir all the way

The only one I'm even going to touch is Deathwarped Angel. It's quite clearly overcosted. 11 for a 5/5 flier and the only extra benefit you get is a creature back from the graveyard when it hits the field? For 2 less I can get a 10/9 with Annihilator 2 that doesn't even have to hit the field to get me a creature. If you keep the cost, this guy could be a 10/10. If you intend to drop the cost, I think a discount of or is reasonable if you keep the color intensity.

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14, reinstated (reactivated?) on 9-24-14 (been seeing more FNM, prerelease, and release events as of late)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

Khans of Tarkir Clan Quiz
After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

So... Grissers got freed from the Helvault, banished again, comes back, gets a name change, ditches lifelink for some more evasion, gets +1/+1, and costs more? Not sure about the flavor on many of these.

Arnaa is cool though.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
Necropolis Demon is...um...Lifelink, Double Strike, and Deathtouch all on one creature? You don't feel that's a bit...overkill? I mean, the only time you'll even get to the normal combat damage is on an indestructible creature, and at that point your loss of not killing something is made up for by getting twice the life in lifelink. So...WTF, man?

All cards I make have artists credited in the appropriate places. Artist names in "quotes" are DeviantArt usernames unless otherwise mentioned.

"I play a Grave Betrayal. I get all your dead things now, mwahahahaha!"
"Okay. I play a Phage the Untouchable. Piss me off and I will sac it."
"... ... ... so guys, remind me again how to sac my own enchantments?"

Most of those abilities are kind of ho-hum for cards that cost so much. Also, red lifelink? What?
Edacade: Very good point, she is now a 10/10
Weisse: Keenjha isn't Griselbrand, he's a similar demon who just so happens to cost too much and have similar abilities. As I said, for EDH
IceMetalPunk: Fine, Lifelink is now trample to make up for the deathtouch/double strike shenanigans.
silasw: I'll explain in 6 days...

- Dave Shedden

Purphoros' Tokens

Dimir all the way

My problem with pretty much all of these is that they're boring.
They're kitchen sinks like Akroma, completely devoid of any subtlety.

That's fine to do every once and a while, but not all the time.
Well, it's been at least a week...

Arnaa, she is omnibenevolent and so wants none of the creatures to be hurt so she makes sure they can only hurt planeswalkers. Then she feels bad for the hurt planeswalkers so she give the planeswalkers' creatures lifelink, thus healing them.
In flavour, red is emotions. 

- Dave Shedden

Purphoros' Tokens

Dimir all the way

I'm not sure "omnibenevolence" fits Red's philosophy.  Universal love for all is a much different concept than a strong emotional bond with individual friends, comrades or family.  Red goes with its deep-down feelings moment to moment, and if a stranger wrongs you, your immediate gut feeling is anger or frustration, even if your conscious good nature allows you to forgive and love that stranger.  Of course we're talking about human beings here, so who knows what reaction an Angel would have.  I dunno.

That said, I think it would be an interesting exercise to find an interpretation of this flavor that actually fits mechanically with Red. 
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
So you basicly made akroma in all other colors. Im also going to guess that you play alot of commander.
I'm sorry flying trample haste bothers me.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]

• Angel of a Higher Calling seems fair because it only performs the action once.

• Arnaa doesn’t feel very red.

• Arnaya is actually underpowered in today’s pricing. As a legendary at that cost, it could probably grant Flying, First Strike, Vigilance, and protection from green and blue to all your creatures

• I’d up Dragon of Aun’s ability cost from to

• I think you could get away with costing Eghra as

Other than that, they're pretty good.  I like the concepts.  They'd go well in a Kaalia deck

I like lifelink in . It makes more sense in in than . Also, kudos for having a character that isn't a mindless brute. You have nothing but support from moi

A more mechanically accurate thingy would be a regenerate mechanic that applies to other creatures, however.
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)
I'm not sure "omnibenevolence" fits Red's philosophy.  Universal love for all is a much different concept than a strong emotional bond with individual friends, comrades or family.  Red goes with its deep-down feelings moment to moment, and if a stranger wrongs you, your immediate gut feeling is anger or frustration, even if your conscious good nature allows you to forgive and love that stranger.  Of course we're talking about human beings here, so who knows what reaction an Angel would have.  I dunno.

That said, I think it would be an interesting exercise to find an interpretation of this flavor that actually fits mechanically with Red. 

Given that some aligned angels are embodiments of a particular virtue, and some things in the past were embodiments of specific emotions, I think a angel that embodies compassion is more than decent.
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)

• Necropolis Demon feels more red than black.  I’d definitely switch out protection from red for protection from green

• Deathwarped Angel and Kennjha could do more

• Marjhog is pretty cool

• For Muunrai’s cast cost, you could put that Dragon or Demon onto the battlefield

• Quarlay’s pretty good, but I’d make it protection from white or green  

Given that some aligned angels are embodiments of a particular virtue, and some things in the past were embodiments of specific emotions, I think a angel that embodies compassion is more than decent.

Yeah, I like where it's going.  Red deserves to get cards that show emotions other than fear and anger.  But I think there's a difference between compassion for an individual based on seeing their own needs as a person versus compassion for all life based on an unconditional ideal.  From what I understand of Red, its belief in love, compassion, justice and other positive emotions can be very strong, but they come from individual events, not moral guidelines (fighting for right because they've seen the effects of terrible injustice first-hand, or offering compassionate help because they see someone close to them suffering).  Red has a hard time seeing the big picture.
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
Sign In to post comments