Grabbing while prone, and standing up

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I did some searching, and I haven't quite found the answer I am looking for. I see a lot of questions regarding grabbed creatures standing when prone, but nothing yet on the grabbing creature (there's probably threads out there, so maybe I'm not wording my search correctly). I am hoping someone here can help, and many thanks up front for doing so.

I am a Brawler, and have an enemy grabbed. That enemy then attacks me such that it knocks me prone. As I understand the rules, me being prone forces him prone as well, since the grab doesn't end from me being knocked prone (please confirm as well?). If that's the case, and we are both prone, when I stand up, does the enemy stand up with me, or do I have to release him to stand?
Being knocked prone doesn't forced the grabbed creature prone (vice versa) and standing up doesn't let a grabbed creature that is also prone stand up as well. (vice versa)
ok, interesting. How would I be able to hold onto a grabbed creature if I go prone and it doesn't? Wouldn't I drag it down with me?
ok, interesting. How would I be able to hold onto a grabbed creature if I go prone and it doesn't? Wouldn't I drag it down with me?

Don't use real-world logic in game.  It will break your brain.

Doesn't matter who is proning whom, a grabbed target and the grabber are not linked like this. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Nothing says that your grabbed target can;t be prone if you're not, or vice versa.  Where did you get that idea?
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Thanks for the correction.
How would I be able to hold onto a grabbed creature if I go prone and it doesn't?

Possibly by the leg or arm. However, from the WotC FAQ, if desired:
"Can an ooze be knocked prone? In situations like this, DMs are encouraged to change the flavor of what is happening without changing the actual rules governing the situation. For example, the ooze could be so disoriented by the blow that it suffers the same disadvantages as if it had been knocked prone until it spends a move action to stand up effectively shaking off the condition."

You grapple your foe.  Your foe body slams or trips you onto ground. You still hold onto his leg attempting a leg bar submission.  Foe is standing but still immobilized from moving away...

You don't want to give combat advantge to him only so attempt to also prone your grappled target.  Take the fight onto ground.  You Move Grabbed Target action, str vs fort.  Success your target is also prone.  Ground and pound.Don't you watch UFC?

You'd need DM collaboration for this to happen. 

Move a Grabbed Target doesn't knock prone by RAW, it only pull.
Knocking a grabbed target down is easy though - that's what World Serpent's Grasp is for.  Just refluff it.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
The brawler feat Pin Down demonstrates how the prone-ness is not linked between the two - the feat makes it so that the creature you're grabbing can't stand up until it escapes the grab.  Good way to ruin its day, actually.  You get CA, and it gets a -2 to attacks.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Sign In to post comments