Dragonborn Pusher - Knight or Fighter?

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
I want to make a Dragonborn based around the awesome support that hammers get for pushing, knocking prone, and dazing.  I'm not sure which is a better base class to start with: Knight or Fighter?  Fighter would let me get Tide of Iron, but Knights have Hammering Hands.  Does Hammering Hands work with all of the extra feat support, since the push is a free action, rather than part of the attack?

What is COs suggestion on which class? 
Sig
Yes, I killed your BBEG with his own lair:
Setting: Tomb with a perilous bridge and cliff 100 feet above a lava pit. Mummy pops out of his sarcophagus, initiative: Felix, Half-Elf Artificer: Twin Strike with crossbow. Trump (ala Donald), Eladrin Warlord: Charges mummy with Opening Shove, pushing off the cliff. Mummy fails saving throw, and falls into pit. Sanshiro (ala Japanese "superhero" Segata), Minotaur Barbarian: Strength check to lift sarcophagus and carry to cliff. Free action, drop sarcophagus into square above mummy. Sarcophagus drops on mummy, shoving him further down into lava. Mummy: proceeds to make a series of horrible athletics checks to swim and climb cliff. Dies a horrible death with lava permeating every orifice. Entire Party: Watches on in delight, faces alit with the glow of lava and flaming undead.
Original CharOpper
I soap myself up, and turn up the hot water in the shower, so my sweat mixes with the soap, slickening my skin: +5 to grapple I use my own legs as a shield since only upper-body hits matter: +5 defense I use my teammates bodies to construct a vehicle for myself, and dual-wield their weapons because as long as I win, we all win: +10 attack, +10 defense I completely ignore the enemy, their attacks, the devastating damage they are dealing to me and my team, and strike directly for their base, completely obliterating them, their way of life, and any chance they had at survival as a species: WIN Ender: The Original CharOpper and Power Gamer.
Fighter and mayyybe a Fighter|Paladin.
For dazing you can add DragonFear and Dragon's Terror in paragon. 
I was talking more about Overwhelming Impact as far as dazing.
Sig
Setting: Tomb with a perilous bridge and cliff 100 feet above a lava pit. Mummy pops out of his sarcophagus, initiative: Felix, Half-Elf Artificer: Twin Strike with crossbow. Trump (ala Donald), Eladrin Warlord: Charges mummy with Opening Shove, pushing off the cliff. Mummy fails saving throw, and falls into pit. Sanshiro (ala Japanese "superhero" Segata), Minotaur Barbarian: Strength check to lift sarcophagus and carry to cliff. Free action, drop sarcophagus into square above mummy. Sarcophagus drops on mummy, shoving him further down into lava. Mummy: proceeds to make a series of horrible athletics checks to swim and climb cliff. Dies a horrible death with lava permeating every orifice. Entire Party: Watches on in delight, faces alit with the glow of lava and flaming undead.
Original CharOpper
I soap myself up, and turn up the hot water in the shower, so my sweat mixes with the soap, slickening my skin: +5 to grapple I use my own legs as a shield since only upper-body hits matter: +5 defense I use my teammates bodies to construct a vehicle for myself, and dual-wield their weapons because as long as I win, we all win: +10 attack, +10 defense I completely ignore the enemy, their attacks, the devastating damage they are dealing to me and my team, and strike directly for their base, completely obliterating them, their way of life, and any chance they had at survival as a species: WIN Ender: The Original CharOpper and Power Gamer.
Hammer Hands doesn't work with push shenanigans like Battering Shield.

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

I was talking more about Overwhelming Impact as far as dazing.

Dragon Fear is a nice burst 5 power(-2 to hit and grants CA). Dragon's terror comes online in paragon. Overwhelming Impact is epic and the two will work together. An option unless you are push/prone/dazing with your breath. But i'm guessing you're just concentrating on Hammer/Shield stuff. Sorry for that.
No problem.  The build will likely be feat tight, so I doubt I will be able to fit in stuff to buff Dragonfear/breath.  I don't typically like to focus on racial encounter powers unless it's some kind of spam build, like a Breather build.

And thanks mattador666; that's what I was worried about.  Looks like it's Tide of Iron spam for me. 
Sig
Original CharOpper
How useful is World Serpent's Grasp for a hammer build?  Doesn't Overwhelming Impact replace the Slow effect, meaning that if you were to hit them again, you wouldn't trigger World Serpent's Grasp, since they aren't slowed?
Sig
Original CharOpper
WSG comes online much sooner, and I would give Dragonfear another look.  For a very small feat investment you can get a lot of mileage out of the power.

Close Burst 5 -2 Atk, Grants CA and Marked with 1 feat if you stay some flavor of fighter.

I considered doing something like this on my Champion of Order (honestly still considering it depending on whether I ever bother playing in epic). 

If you go the breath route you are getting a Push/Daze/Push from your breath from only 2 feats.  Yes its a 1/encounter thing (cause you won't have space or use for much rebreathing) but there are other ways to get your breath back that don't involve rebreathing.  Pop on a ring and you can do it when bloodied to really mess up some people.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Works best with 16/16/13 starting score, post-racial 18Str 16Con 15Cha, so you are eligible for Superior Will right out of the box and you have a high Con score that you can use for push/prone damage. Iron Vanguard and MC Warden come to mind.
Iron Vanguard was the planned PP.  HAven't decided on an ED yet.  What would be some useful things I would get access to from MCing Warden?

I had planned to pump Str/Con the whole way.  Superior Will would be nice, but I think the head slot item (whose name escapes me right now) that does the same thing will work just fine.

My feat list is always one of the first things I start looking at once I've settled on a design concept and a base class, and I need to shorten my list right now. 
Sig
Original CharOpper
WSG works really well in tandem with someone else generating slow/immobilize or with multi attacks. You could also go WSG with a DB Hammer+Shield Fighter|Warden. Slow/immobilize/prone, daily forms and come and get it, crippling crush, shield push, bashing shield and hindering shield with draconic arrogance. All good stuff.
Iron Vanguard was the planned PP.  HAven't decided on an ED yet.  What would be some useful things I would get access to from MCing Warden?

I had planned to pump Str/Con the whole way.  Superior Will would be nice, but I think the head slot item (whose name escapes me right now) that does the same thing will work just fine.

My feat list is always one of the first things I start looking at once I've settled on a design concept and a base class, and I need to shorten my list right now. 

Mostly Crioppling Crush - Con modifier extra damage whenever you slow or immobilize with a Weapon attack using hammer or mace. Then there are a couple options, but that's pretty much a regular addition to the push/prone/slow build.
If you manage to push, slow and prone with a single attack you're looking at Str x2 + Con x3 extra damage. With 18Str 16Con as post-racial starting scores, it's 27 extra damage at level 16 when Iron Vanguard kicks in.

As for your ED, pretty much the standard package I'd say.

Consider Gladiator as your theme. Keep Them Close slows enemies just by marking them, which you'll do with every attack. Then you have two instances of slowing (this and Hindering Shield) on your Melee attacks and can keep them slowed while turning the other instance into daze via Overwhelming Impact. As for Close powers, which Fighters use, you will still have a reliable slow just by attacking them.
How does this look as my feat list by 30th?  I'm considering swapping out Hindering Shield for Keep Them Close at epic as well (thanks ArelOfAikala)

Shield Push
Hammering Iron
Improved Defenses
Hybrid Talent
Weapon Proficiency
Crippling Crush
World Serpent's Grasp
Sudden Roots
Bludgeon Expertise
Hindering Shield
Draconic Arrogance
Hammer Rhythm
Dual Challenge
Rapid Combat Challenge
Rapid Wild Defense
Bludegon Mastery
Overwhelming Impact
Knock-Back Swing
Sig
Original CharOpper
I wouldn't hybrid if I were you, imho Warden doesn't hybrid well and a straight Fighter can pull his weight without beating an eye.

I wouldn't take Sudden Roots, since your OAs push already (via Hammering Iron), you get the slow form Hindering Shield, no need to have another feat for the same effect. Also, you don't take Knock-Back Swing, you merely retrain Hammering Iron into it.

Martial Mastery is better than Dual Challenge, imho, also, I would take Overwhelming Impact as soon as possible, as well as Hindering Shield. They may very well be your 11th and 21st level feats.

If you're going with a straight Fighter, then you won't pick Rapid Wild Defense and that frees up a slot to have Keep Them Close without retraining Hindering Shield, which then works towards that double slow trick I was mentioning earlier. And obviously you swap Hybrid Talent for the MC Warden feat, don't remember what the name is.

Also, why Weapon Proficiency? You may want a Craghammer, but you lack Weapon Focus. Take that if you want damage.

I would also personally choose Superior Will over Hammer Rhythm. There is the Circlet of Arkhosia, all right, but I'd rather have the feat and not depend on the item.

Boy is that feat intensive. I almost forgot how small a margin Fighters have.
If I don't hybrid, I'm going to end up having to take Plate Proficiency, so I'm saving a feat by hybriding.  Hybrid Talent lets me use Con for AC and I can use Hide.

Also, as a hybrid, if I take both Rapid feats, doesn't that give me 3 immediates per turn for punishment?  And I can mark one person with Tide of Iron and mark another adjacent with a minor action, from level 1.  It seems like a pretty impressive defender suite.  I would be losing out on Combat Superiority though, which is a big piece of a Fighters stickiness.

Dropping Sudden Roots and retraining Hammering Iron into Knock Back Swing opens up two feats. One could be Superior Will, and the other could eventually be Epic Reflexes, helping to patch those two up.  Maybe I should switch Improved Defenses to Epic Will in that case, as my Will would need more attention than my Fort.

Also hybriding, if I'm in Hide, I can take Second Skin which is one of the best feats for an AC boost.

I suppose I can drop the Craghammer prof.  I'm getting my damage from all the extra damage from push/slow/prone as you said. 
Sig
Original CharOpper
Ranger|Cleric/Fighter/Lone Wolf+Draconic Arrogance. Not what you're looking for, but it is a build I like a lot.
If I don't hybrid, I'm going to end up having to take Plate Proficiency, so I'm saving a feat by hybriding.  Hybrid Talent lets me use Con for AC and I can use Hide.

Also, as a hybrid, if I take both Rapid feats, doesn't that give me 3 immediates per turn for punishment?  And I can mark one person with Tide of Iron and mark another adjacent with a minor action, from level 1.  It seems like a pretty impressive defender suite.  I would be losing out on Combat Superiority though, which is a big piece of a Fighters stickiness.

Dropping Sudden Roots and retraining Hammering Iron into Knock Back Swing opens up two feats. One could be Superior Will, and the other could eventually be Epic Reflexes, helping to patch those two up.  Maybe I should switch Improved Defenses to Epic Will in that case, as my Will would need more attention than my Fort.

Also hybriding, if I'm in Hide, I can take Second Skin which is one of the best feats for an AC boost.

I suppose I can drop the Craghammer prof.  I'm getting my damage from all the extra damage from push/slow/prone as you said. 

The other option is to go Dwarf for DWT (especially early on).
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
But he wants a Dragonborn pusher, so Dwarves are not an option.

As for hybriding and AC: as you wish. But I've played a similar character and you can live a good life with your Scale armor, no problem.
By being a pure Fighter you gain Combat Superiority and the Fighter weapon talent, whichever you want to pick. At the very least it's free proficiencies (Arena) or +1 to hit.
It's really down to that. Guardian forms are nice, but it's not like Fighters lack good powers, Str/Con hammer builds in particular have some impressive options, e.g. Anvil of Doom (E13) that you'll keep as long as you live.
This is what I've got for the level 30 build.  Feat order was just kind of slapped together, so I can take them as I need to as I level up.

Any input is much appreciated.

Build

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Rhashgar, level 30
Dragonborn, Fighter/Warden, Iron Vanguard, Unyielding Sentinel
Hybrid Warden Option: Hybrid Warden Will
Hybrid Talent Option: Warden's Armored Might
Guardian Might Option: Earthstrength
Stalwart Guardian Option: Strength
Dragonborn Racial Power Option: Dragonfear
Chessenta (Chessenta Benefit)
Theme: Gladiator

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 28, CON 26, DEX 13, INT 12, WIS 10, CHA 17

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 16, CON 16, DEX 11, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 13

AC: 47 Fort: 43 Ref: 38 Will: 43
HP: 216 Surges: 17 Surge Value: 68

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +27, Endurance +26, Intimidate +25

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +15, Arcana +16, Bluff +18, Diplomacy +18, Dungeoneering +15, Heal +15, History +18, Insight +15, Nature +15, Perception +15, Religion +16, Stealth +14, Streetwise +18, Thievery +14

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Gladiator Feature: Disrupting Advance
Dragonborn Racial Power: Dragonfear
Fighter Attack: Combat Challenge
Warden Feature: Warden's Fury
Warden Feature: Warden's Grasp
Fighter Attack 1: Tide of Iron
Warden Attack 1: Thorn Strike
Fighter Utility 2: Glowering Threat
Warden Utility 6: Soothing Wind
Fighter Utility 10: Clearheaded
Iron Vanguard Attack 11: Frontline Surge
Iron Vanguard Utility 12: Inexorable Shift
Fighter Attack 15: Dust Storm Assault
Endurance Utility 16: Diehard
Warden Attack 17: Warden's Lure
Iron Vanguard Attack 20: Indomitable Strength
Fighter Utility 22: Martial Supremacy
Fighter Attack 23: Warrior's Urging
Warden Attack 25: Form of the Blood Wolf
Unyielding Sentinel Utility 26: Undying Vanguard
Fighter Attack 27: Demolishing Surge
Fighter Attack 29: Force the Battle

FEATS
Knock-Back Swing
Second Skin
Keep Them Close
Dual Challenge
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 4: Bludgeon Expertise
Level 6: Shield Push
Level 8: Superior Will
Level 10: Crippling Crush
Level 11: World Serpent's Grasp
Level 12: Hindering Shield
Level 14: Draconic Arrogance
Level 21: Overwhelming Impact
Level 22: Rapid Combat Challenge
Level 24: Rapid Wild Defense
Level 26: Bludgeon Mastery
Level 28: Epic Reflexes
Level 30: Epic Will

ITEMS
Acrobat Boots x1
Knockback Warhammer +6 x1
Voidhide of Durability +6 x1
Hammer Shield Heavy Shield x1
Gauntlets of Blood (epic tier) x1
Circlet of Arkhosia (epic tier) x1
Amulet of Life +6 x1
Ring of Personal Gravity x1
Ring of Giants x1
Belt of Blood x1
Moradin's Blessing of Iron (level 28)
Strongheart Tattoo (epic tier) x1
====== End ======

Sig
Original CharOpper
If you're using Hide, at the very least buy an Elven Chain Shirt. You can most likely afford the 19 level version which is a free +2AC.
I'll put it on my wishlist.  We are starting at 5th level, so I'll probably be lucky to see paragon.  I always forget about that though.  I always assume the rest of my items will eat up my money
Sig
Original CharOpper
Any suggestions about what to do about the horrible Reflex?
Sig
Original CharOpper

dodge the fireballs ?
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Wear a shield.
Next step: Improved Initiative and hit first.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)