Casting vs. playing from your hand

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
I took this directly from the rules that you can link to from this page:

Q: Does putting a card onto the battlefield directly (using Elvish Piper or similar) count as "casting" it, or "casting [it] from [my] hand"?
A: No. "Cast", in Magic, has a very specific meaning, outlined above at the top of this post. Anything else isn't "casting" the card.

A Myojin of Life's Web put onto the battlefield with Elvish Piper will not have a divinity counter, for example

I don't understand why you would not get the counter.  The piper reads 'put a creature card from your hand onto the battlefield'.  Myojin reads 'put counter on if it comes into play from your hand'.  It does say when 'casted' from your hand, in which case I would understand.

Can someone explain why this works this way please.
read Myojin of Life's Web again
I recommend the Oracle text, but even the most recent printing is different from what you said
proud member of the 2011 community team
The Oracle text of a card represents the most up-to-date version of the card's text, and a card should be used as though it is printed with its Oracle text.

As you can see by following the autocard link, Myojin of Life's Web will only receive a divinity counter when it is cast from your hand.

Note that it has always worked this way: the old wording was "Myojin of Life's Web comes into play with a divinity counter if you played it from your hand."  "Played" is the outdated term for "cast." 
less condecending answer than my previous one:

"play" means "cast" for nonland cards
nowadays it is only used for very few cards, that can affect land and nonland cards

"in play" is no longer used, exactly because of this confusion
it is "on(to) the battlefield" nowadays
read Myojin of Life's Web again
I recommend the Oracle text, but even the most recent printing is different from what you said

I love it when you post a reply that does not answer my question.  If I read it again, I still have the same question.  If I read the oracle text (thanks Kenjiblade for advising in your post above) I now understand.

Thanks Kenjiblade.
Myojin's most recent printing says "if you played it from your hand" not "if it comes in play from your hand"
that's what I was getting at, there is a significant difference between both wordings
Myojin reads 'put counter on if it comes into play from your hand'. 

in neither the printed nor Oracle text does it say that

Printed: Myojin of Life's Web enters the battlefield with a divinity counter on it if you played it from your hand.

Oracle: Myojin of Life's Web enters the battlefield with a divinity counter on it if you cast it from your hand.

Neither did you play it from your hand nor did you cast it from your hand, you merely put it into play/onto the battlefield from your hand via Elvish Piper's ability and as such it doesn't get a divinity counter

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Myojin reads 'put counter on if it comes into play from your hand'. 

in neither the printed nor Oracle text does it say that

Printed: Myojin of Life's Web enters the battlefield with a divinity counter on it if you played it from your hand.

Oracle: Myojin of Life's Web enters the battlefield with a divinity counter on it if you cast it from your hand.

Neither did you play it from your hand nor did you cast it from your hand, you merely put it into play/onto the battlefield and as such it doesn't get a divinity counter

'played it from your hand' 'comes into play from your hand'.....is there a difference?  Sorry I didn't quote word for word.

In my layman's interpretation, I did play it from my hand, hence my question why it does not work.

But regardless, thanks Goth, but Kenji already gave a sufficient explanation two hours ago.  It was lack of knowledge surrounding the wording used.  I knew the current wording around 'casting' but when I read the card (NOT the oracle text) I took play as anything other than casting.  Therefore I assumed it should work.  Obviously there was confusion around it as the oracle now reads 'cast'.
'played it from your hand' 'comes into play from your hand'.....is there a difference?

a very big one, yes
that's one of the reasons they retired "play", because it lead to confusion

a very big one, yes
that's one of the reasons they retired "play", because it lead to confusion

Well the good news is I now know that if a card reads play then I better check the oracle text as I did find it confusing too Smile

When you cast (what used to be call "play") a creature spell from your hand, it goes from your hand to the stack to the battlefield (what used to be called "into play"). When you put a creature from your hand onto the battlefield (used to be called "into play"), it goes straight from your hand to the battlefield.

"In play" meant "in the game as a permanent on the table", "play" meant "use this spell" (in this context). Just because they used the same word doesnt make them the same thing.

Note that they also changed "remove from the game" to "exile", since things that you "removed from the game" were still in the game (you dont go and put the cards away, or take them home, or throw them out the window - they are still being used by the game).  

~ Tim 
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Although they sort of retired "play", it is still used in effects that let you both cast spells and play lands (like Djinn of Wishes).

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

'played it from your hand' 'comes into play from your hand'.....is there a difference?  Sorry I didn't quote word for word.

In my layman's interpretation, I did [u]play[/u] it from my hand, hence my question why it does not work.

Stop saying that!

You did not 'play' it. You [u]put it into play[/u] from your hand. Read your Elvish Piper, any version. It does not say "Play a creature card from your hand" it says "Put a creature card from your hand into play."

IMAGE(http://www.spritestitch.com/forum/images/ranks/rank7mario.gif)
Read your Elvish Piper, any version. It does not say "Play a creature card from your hand" it says "Put a creature card from your hand into play."

Actually, that's NOT what it says...

Wizards of the Coast: outsourced to Elbonia

Read your Elvish Piper, any version. It does not say "Play a creature card from your hand" it says "Put a creature card from your hand into play."

Actually, that's NOT what it says...

That is, indeed, what the printed text says (which is the subject of this post), and the oracle text has been covered.  I'm not sure how to link editions of a card, but check out the printed edition from Seventh Edition.
Cannot be relied upon^

Yes, there is:
'played it from your hand' which could be adapted to 'cast it from your hand' means it gets the counter if it comes on the battlefield from the stack AND it was put on the stack froom your hand.

'comes into play from your hand' means 'put on the battlefield from your hand'. In this case, it'd get a divinity counter if you've used the piper's ability but NOT if you cast it from your hand, because it didn't go to the stack in between.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

Sign In to post comments