Flurry of Blows and Riposte

Quick question.  Can Flurry of Blows be used as an Attack of Opportunity?  OA provides a melee ATTACK, but flurry says 'as an action'.  My thinking is Attack and Action are not the same thing, so you wouldn't use flurry in an OA, or as part of the riposte feat.

Thanks,
Verys
Quick question.  Can Flurry of Blows be used as an Attack of Opportunity?  OA provides a melee ATTACK, but flurry says 'as an action'.  My thinking is Attack and Action are not the same thing, so you wouldn't use flurry in an OA, or as part of the riposte feat.

Thanks,
Verys

The way I understand it, an Action is something you can only do on your turn, along with a Move.  An AoO is a Reaction which is an attack.  Flurry lets you make multiple attacks with one Action, not a Reaction.
That is the way I see it as well, the difference between actions and reactions are pretty specific.

With one exception under the rules for readied actions that state that you can ready an "action" and then carry out that "action" as a "reaction".  This is the only way you could flurry as a reaction.

It should be noted, however, that you can use many maneuvers as part of a reaction, just not the ones that start with "As an action" because "action" "reaction" and "attack" are clearly defined terms.

So on an attack of opportunity you could use:
Composed Attack
Glancing Blow
Lunge Opportunist
Shove away
Trip

You can also combine maneuvers... 
This can lead to wierd effects, like using spring attack (which grants a 10 ft move) and modifying that move with Step of the Wind.  In fact, you could start your normal move for the round, activate step of the wind, attack with spring attack, and activate step of the wind again, giving your monk a chance at 100 ft of movement in a single round.

Intended?  No idea. 
That is the way I see it as well, the difference between actions and reactions are pretty specific.

With one exception under the rules for readied actions that state that you can ready an "action" and then carry out that "action" as a "reaction".  This is the only way you could flurry as a reaction.

It should be noted, however, that you can use many maneuvers as part of a reaction, just not the ones that start with "As an action" because "action" "reaction" and "attack" are clearly defined terms.

Composed Attack
Glancing Blow
Lunge Opportunist
Shove away
Trip

This can lead to wierd effects, like using spring attack (which grants a 10 ft move) and modifying that move with Step of the Wind.  In fact, you could start your normal move for the round, activate step of the wind, attack with spring attack, and activate step of the wind again, giving your monk a chance at 100 ft of movement in a single round.

Intended?  No idea. 

Off of the top of my head, I don't think a monk with Step of the Wind can take the fighter maneuver Spring Attack with Martial Training feat.

Martial Training
Prerequisite:  Combat Expertise class feature
Benefit:  You learn a maneuver of your choice from the general maneuver list or from your class's maneuver list, if your class has one.

So no monks flying around battlefields and 100ft/6sec. 

Yep.  Of course, you will have used an action to get that reaction, and it's kind of an exception to the rules, but it works.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />You can also combine maneuvers... 

I don't think this is possible. Step of the Wind specifies that using multiple dice for it only allows you to walk on different types of surfaces, and you only get the highest die rolled towards your movement. That to me means that you cannot activate it twice in one turn, because that would mean rolling multiple dice and using both rolls, which the maneuver prohibits.

Composed Attack
Glancing Blow
Lunge Opportunist
Shove away
Trip

Intended?  No idea. 

Off of the top of my head, I don't think a monk with Step of the Wind can take the fighter maneuver Spring Attack with Martial Training feat.

Martial Training
Prerequisite:  Combat Expertise class feature
Benefit:  You learn a maneuver of your choice from the general maneuver list or from your class's maneuver list, if your class has one.

So no monks flying around battlefields and 100ft/6sec. 

very true... that is my bad, monks can't take Spring attack (until we see rules for multiclassing?)

@Kyrion:  the hit is that you can use Step of the Wind anytime you start "a move" and spring attack allows you to make a 10ft move.  This move is obviously separate because your regular move can be broken up into before and after an action.  Two moves means two chances tto use SotW.  

You can't take spring attack with a Monk, but this does still leave some confusion regarding the Charge feat.  This all arises because there is no such thing as a "move action" in DDN.  So a move is just a move.  Charge says you "move up to your speed".  This is just a needed rules clarification.  What defines a "move" with regard to Step of the Wind?  It just says "when you start a move".  Does the move from charge not get started?  It sure seems to, and it definitely is separate from the regular move on your turn.  There is no limitation on how many times you can activate SotW in a given turn.  Just that it is only once per move.  Can you SotW on your regular move and also on the move you get from the "Hustle"action?  

Thanks for the answers Folks. This shomonk lower the monk's six attacks per round back to "only' four. 
Sign In to post comments