Spawnsire of Ulamog in EDH

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi,

A few questions about Spawnsire of Ulamog and its 2nd ability.
Firstly - i believe that in tornament play, 'outside the game' only means your sideboard? we are not playing in a tournament, but am wondering whether or not to follow that rule or not.

If we don't, can the ability be used to pull more than 1 copy of a card into a game of EDH? ie does the 1 card rule only apply to your library, and therefore this would be legal?

Secondly, as and when the outside creatures die, does anything special happen? or do they go to the graveyard as normal?

Thirdly, am i right in thinking 'Exile' used to say 'remove from the game'. Could this ability therefore bring them back?
I know one guy who runs the Sire, he just keeps a section of a rare binder for Eldrazi cards. If we let him pop the final, he just gets all the cards from that section of the binder. It would be interresting to hear if that's legal
In tournament play -- correct, anything that refers to cards "outside the game" means your sideboard.

As for casual play, I'll quote you this Gatherer ruling:

In a casual game, the cards you cast from outside the game come from your personal collection. In a sanctioned event, those cards must come from your sideboard. Note that you can't cast cards from exile this way; exile is a zone in the game.

Though, for EDH in specific, there's an optional 10-card sideboard, and usually that is used for 'outside the game' purposes (cards like Burning Wish, etc).  Then again, EDH is a casual format, and you can play it however you and your playgroup would like.  If you're playing as though you can use any cards from your personal collection, then you surely don't have to follow the 1 copy per card rule, as that only applies to deck construction.

For your second question: as they're cards you own, they'll go to your graveyard if something would cause them to end up there (destruction, sacrifice, and so on).  Of course, once the current game ends, you would take those specific cards out of the game, since they aren't meant to start the game in your library.

As for your third question: exile used to be referred to as "removed from the game," but that doesn't matter.  What matters is that now, the exile zone is one of the game zones, and no longer counts as something that's outside of the game.  Always refer to a card's current Oracle wording -- even a card that used to "remove [object] from the game" will put it into the exile zone now.
I know one guy who runs the Sire, he just keeps a section of a rare binder for Eldrazi cards. If we let him pop the final, he just gets all the cards from that section of the binder. It would be interresting to hear if that's legal

In casual play, absolutly.

It's only tournament play that has limits (of the sideboard)

If you want your casual play group to have different rules, make house rules. Otherwise, he could have 1000 eldrazi and drop them on the field with any number of duplicates.

I know of at least one person who owns an entire binder (about 1000 cards) that are all Amoeboid Changeling. He could (in casual play with no house rules), put the entire binder into play in response to Sire
We usually let him and then exile to puthe field, so he has them all back. Not sure if thats mean or not tho.
Thirdly, am i right in thinking 'Exile' used to say 'remove from the game'. Could this ability therefore bring them back?

400.1. A zone is a place where objects can be during a game. There are normally seven zones: library, hand, battlefield, graveyard, stack, exile, and command. Some older cards also use the ante zone. Each player has his or her own library, hand, and graveyard. The other zones are shared by all players.

400.10. An object is outside the game if it isn’t in any of the game’s zones. Outside the game is not a zone.

If it's in exile, it's not outside the game.

A few questions about Spawnsire of Ulamog and its 2nd ability.

you mean its third ability (Annihilator is an ability too)
or alternatively, its second activated ability 

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

yeah fair play. its 2nd activated