Card of the Week 8: 2/26/13 - 3/4/13

30 posts / 0 new
Last post

Card of the Week

2/26/13 - 3/4/13

Welcome to Card of the Week! This is an on-running contest of sorts where great cards are given the celebration they deserve, the praise for what perhaps went unnoticed.

Last week had a variety of winners. turnip_song, Arazlam, and SimpleDreams were our winners; their cards in order:

Ma'ruf the Cobbler

Legendary Creature-Human
You may play lands from outside the game. (They still count towards your land per turn limit.) 
Wish, above all else, for the worlds that lie beyond. Weep, above all else, for the burdens which you bring.
2/1
-----
Æther Strings |
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
You may activate enchanted creature's activated abilities.
"What's wrong Tim? Why are you pointing me with th--"
— Last words of Zeon, Director of the Institute of Arcane Study
-----
Stellar Impact
Sorcery R
Arrange all creatures on the battlefield into a circle in any order, then choose one of those creatures at random. Destroy that creature and the two creatures adjacent to it in the circle.
On Ugoya, the word "starstruck" means something completely different.

Previous Winners
1/1/13 - 1/7/13 theAtog

Body Sinker 
Creature - Merfolk Assassin
Islandwalk
If a creature an opponent creature would die, you may have it becomes an island instead. (It's no longer a creature.)
4/1
-----
1/8/13 - 1/14/13 ImidazolineSilly_Dragons

Polarize |
Enchantment
Creatures you control are white and get +1/+1.
Creatures opponents control are black and red.
Born on the same street. Buried in plot miles apart.

Serra's Lament
Sorcery
Destroy all creatures, then planeswalk. Instead of returning the current plane to a planar deck, remove it from the game.
Only in memory is her world forever pure.
-----
1/15/13 - 1/21/13 Hairless Thoctar

Cage Fighter

Creature-Ogre Berserker
Creatures your opponents control have ": Fight Cage Fighter" 
6/5
-----
1/22/13 - 1/28/13 Mown

Order of the Pale Road 
Creature - Human Monk
If a permanent would leave the battlefield, exile it instead.
The lessons in life shapes you, like bricks in a wall. It is only when complete, that you find it does naught but prevent your return.
2/2
-----
1/29/13 - 2/4/13 zammm; Detektor

Holding Cell - 
Sorcery
Exile target creature. Return that card to the battlefield when a player casts a spell named Holding Cell.
Azorius prisons are notoriously overcrowded.

Judge of Armaments 
Creature - Human Judge
Having a +1/+1 counter put on you is against the law.
Whenever a creature breaks the law, detain it.
1/3
-----
2/5/13 - 2/11/13 Detektor

Irrigated Field
Land - Plains
After your third turn of the game, Irrigated Field is an Island.
For eight thousand years, the Iteru had always flooded its banks just in time for the famers to plant flax. Was the river spirit offering a gesture of constancy in a world torn apart by war? Or was she the one seeking reassurance?
-----
2/12/13 - 2/18/13 turnip_song; Arazlam; SimpleDreams

Ma'ruf the Cobbler

Legendary Creature-Human
You may play lands from outside the game. (They still count towards your land per turn limit.) 
Wish, above all else, for the worlds that lie beyond. Weep, above all else, for the burdens which you bring.
2/1

Æther Strings |
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
You may activate enchanted creature's activated abilities.
"What's wrong Tim? Why are you pointing me with th--"
— Last words of Zeon, Director of the Institute of Arcane Study

Stellar Impact
Sorcery R
Arrange all creatures on the battlefield into a circle in any order, then choose one of those creatures at random. Destroy that creature and the two creatures adjacent to it in the circle.
On Ugoya, the word "starstruck" means something completely different.

Nomination Rules:
Anyone may nominate a card from any thread in YMTC as long as it was posted between 12:00 AM of the starting date and 11:59 PM of the ending date of that week's thread, Pacific Standard Time (that's what I live by, and I'm not fancy enough to use UT1). 
All nominations require the following:

1. The full card posted into this thread.
2. A link to the post/thread where the card originated.
3. The name of the card's creator.

You may nominate up to two cards a week.
You can't nominate your own designs.
All designs nominated will be put into a poll in the next week's thread. The design with the most votes is declared Card of the Week!

Voting Rules:
You may vote for any number of entries. Remember, every vote you cast matters, so try to vote only for the cards you really think deserve to win.
You may vote for yourself.
All cards carrying the most votes when the poll closes are elected as the winner for that week.
All winners and winning cards will be collected in the sblock above.

Nominations for 2/5/13 - 2//13
Nomination thread

Timithy Spirit |
Creature - Spirit Illusion - (C)
Timithy Spirit can't attack or block unless it has another ability.
2/2

by Arazlam
-----
Bloodburst |  
Instant
Fervor (This spell costs less to cast for each 1 damage its target was dealt this turn.)
~ deals X damage to target creature. That creature can't be regenerated this turn. If the creature would die this turn, exile it instead.
"Looks like you ruptured a vein, or, um, all of them."

by Echo_Robin
-----
Gravemoss Shambler 
Creature - Plant Zombie
Trample
~ gets +1/+1 for each creature card in your graveyard.
If ~ would be dealt damage, remove that many cards from your graveyard instead.
It's nourished by grudges of the corpses whose memories still linger in the soil.
0/0

by Mown
-----
Bookbinder Adept

Creature -- Human Wizard
Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, put a charge counter on Bookbinder Adept.
: Draw a card. This ability costs  less to activate for each charge counter on Bookbinder Adept.
"Every word has a page, every page a book, and every book a shelf."
1/3

by Libe
-----
Duke's Mox 
Legendary Artifact
: Add a mana of any color to your mana pool. You can't spend this mana to cast your first spell each turn.
Inspired by his court, which is essentially another form of mox.

by theatog
-----
Bloodsoaked Talisman
Artifact
, Pay 1 life: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Put a charge counter on Bloodsoaked Talisman.
, : Target player loses life equal to the number of charge counters on Bloodsoaked Talisman.

by metalevolence
-----
Suffer for Art

Sorcery
As an additional cost to cast Suffer for Art, sacrifice a creature.
Put three artifact tokens named Still Life onto the battlefield. (They have no abilities.)
"In true art, the subject 
is the object. Paint with crushed bone pigment, my treasures! Moisten the eyes with tears."
~Slendev Sjak, Bon Mourir

by turnip_song

Votes for last week and nominations for this week due next Monday before its changes into Tuesday. Should I make a bracket for March? I totally think I should. 

Duke's Mox, because it's really, really good.

Suffer for Art, because it's cool.
Rakdos Limbo Party
Enchantment
At the beginning of each end step, destroy each creature with the highest power.
Reinvented by the notoriusly short Ringleader "Two Stump Tony", Limbo parties became a lot more bloody with the introduction of Razorwire.

This please.

By Dr. D here: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
A little bit of courage is the real magic.
Rakdos Limbo Party
Enchantment
At the beginning of each end step, destroy each creature with the highest power.
Reinvented by the notoriusly short Ringleader "Two Stump Tony", Limbo parties became a lot more bloody with the introduction of Razorwire.

This please.

I like how it is similar, but COMPLETELY different (in all respects; CMC, color, end of turn<>upkeep etc) to Drop of Honey.. :P

ceci n'est pas une signature.

Rakdos Limbo Party
Enchantment

This please.

You didn't nominate my updated, probably more balanced but definitely horrifically more punny version? 
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Telekinetic Shunt |
Tribal Instant - Artificer
Untap target artifact.
Draw a card.
The art of restarting complex machines without risking fingers is a skill known to most graduates of the Academy.

Nomination. Link to post.

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14 (haven't been able to attend any FNMs or prereleases for 18 months now, no sense maintaining RA status)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

Goad |
Instant
Target creature attacks this turn if able. That creature doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
"Dear sir. You are a jellypants runtsticker with all the spine of a soft cheese.
Yours sincerely, Ral Triptoe"

Source
Gridmaster Official Denizen of YmtC || My Lair Diraden, a set by me
Clockwatcher 
Creature - Human Wizard

Clockwatcher is a 6/6 Avatar with flying during extra turns.

He's the only one to notice that every so often, a clock will tick without moving.

2/1

Bam.
Whelp, I don't stand a chance, but I guess getting nominated is a start eh?
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Whelp, I don't stand a chance, but I guess getting nominated is a start eh?

u shuld refuse nominations
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
Genuinely pleased with nominations, thank you.
Also:

Alley Hypochondriac
Creature — Human 
Whenever a diseased creature comes into play, Alley Hypochondriac gains that disease.
"What's that?  Pthisis?  It sounds terrible!  Do you think I have it?"
1/1 

From here.
Yes, there's some context required, but it's cool.
Clockwatcher 
Creature - Human Wizard

Clockwatcher is a 6/6 Avatar with flying during extra turns.

He's the only one to notice that every so often, a clock will tick without moving.

2/1

Bam.

Nice find.
Invoke the Great Whale
Instant
Untap up to seven lands.
Draw a card.

I'm too lazy to link.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
Feeble Necromancy

Instant
Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield, then sacrifice it.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
hall of fame
Kavu_Overlord Dudibus turnip_song POSValkir1
Necrotic Wish
Sorcery
You may choose a card you own from outside the game and put it into your graveyard. Exile Necrotic Wish.
He wished for memories, but not the wisdom to let them fade.

PORTRAIT OF A PLANESWALKER – Coming October 13th, 2013

IMAGE(http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/385.gif)

Botched Interrogation
Sorcery
Target opponent seperates their hand into two piles, one face up and the other face down. Choose one of those piles, you opponent discards all the cards in that pile.
Every good witchhunter knows that the truth is seldom a byproduct of interrogations; their cheif purpose has always been fear.

From Mana Maze:

Shimmerskin Ursus -
Creature - Bear
When ~ is exiled or returned to your hand, put a 2/2 blue Bear Illusion creature token with "When this becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it" onto the battlefield.
When the Moon has embraced you, her memory of you may linger long after you have gone.
2/2

ceci n'est pas une signature.

Nihility
Legendary Creature - Nightmare Incarnation
Trample
When Nihility enters the battlefield, exile all cards from your hand. Return those cards to their owner's hand when Nihility leaves the battlefield.
: Nihility gets +X/+X until end of turn, where X is the number of exiled cards.
3/3

2nd Nomination. Link here.

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14 (haven't been able to attend any FNMs or prereleases for 18 months now, no sense maintaining RA status)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

doctor is on fire. And I really like both submissions XD

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Just making sure, but at the end of the 2013, we are going to have a Best Card Of The Year, right?

Edit:

• Avatars enter the battlefield with a charge counter on them. At the beginning of your turn, your avatars get a charge counter if they don't already have one.

• You may remove a charge counter from an avatar you control whenever you could cast an instant. If you do, activate the ability in its spell box.

• Your opponents may attack your avatars with creatures, which you can block. They deal damage to avatars as they do to you.

• The number on the bottom of an avatar is its life total. When it is reduced to zero, the avatar's controller loses the game.

Crackling
 Stickbundle

[Crackling Stickbundle deals 3 damage to target creature, player, or avatar.]

From . . .

Pulling the Strings 
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant opponent
You control enchanted player during his or her upkeep step. (You see all cards that player could see and make all decisions for the player.)
The Dimir's most subtle methods are reserved for those in power.

See above for thread.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Just making sure, but at the end of the 2013, we are going to have a Best Card Of The Year, right?

Maybe! Perhaps I'll incorporate it into champs?

We should have an Oscars. Best Card, Best Flavour text, Best New Card Type, etc.

We should have an Oscars. Best Card, Best Flavour text, Best New Card Type, etc.

BEST SOuND EDITING
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
Best card made by ChaosLight
Chimney Imp Award, celebrating the lifetime achievement. Here to present the award is... you guessed it... Frank Stallone.
Best Supporting Meerca

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
Hey Pablo, didn't you promise to nominate my card? ô.Ô
Chancellor of the Forge
Blazing Shoal

Cunning of the Meek 
Enchantment - Aura (R)
Enchant creature.
You may cast Cunning of the Meek without paying its mana cost if it targets a 1/1 creature.
Enchanted creature has first strike, vigilance, and hexproof.

Here...

...and we're off to the next week!