Combatting Commander Clones

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi Everyone,

I bring you what I hope is not too common a discussion on how to keep your Commander from being cloned to death by your opponents. It seems like the most common successful response to a clone is to counter the spell or bounce the Commander, but that is typically because whomever cast the clone announced their target before passing priority to be responded to.

I've realized that there is no way to "see it coming" and respond if someone is attempting to 'Legend Rule' your especially hated Commander, but there are ways to make it an illegal target at the time a clone resolves by exiling it until end of turn in response to a clone. You might never know if that clone was meant for you, but having an illegal target for the rest of the turn is pretty reassuring.

Of course this doesn't work in every situation. Your Commander might be the only thing keeping you from losing the game, but that's what I'd like you to discuss. What other ways, in all five colours, can you keep your commander from being cloned while maintaining as much board-state as possible?

Most of the fun ways are rstricted to blue. Flickerform can do it for white. and Tawnos's Coffin can do it for all colors.

In all honesty I just usually play out more mana and recast. Cloning is a thing I expect in any deck running blue. Just like I expect boardwipe from white. 

Tucking is a bigger problem, your down your resusable goon and chances are most your deck likes him to be around.

<----- Loser.

What Pontiac said.
Maybe it's just around here, but cloning a commander isn't very common. It pretty much only happens as a last resort since the player can just recast for 2 more mana. Sure, I hate that Olivia Voldaren commander, but cloning her just gets rid of her for 1 turn, maybe 2. Getting rid of the same player's Sheoldred, Whispering One is more effective.

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

Or run The Mimeoplasm cloning a non-legend, or something tiny like Nether Traitor or Invisible Stalker.
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
I am more upset than whateverelse about blue - the biggest color-pie-hoarder - gets all the cloning. 

I wish they will move that soon like how looting is sharing with red a bit more. I can understand counterspell not going anywhere but come on. in my meta, everyone plays blue.

I main deck pyroblast and red elemental blast and what's sick is that they became the best spells of my deck overall. 

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Red has heat shimmer... but green should get some cloning.

3DH4LIF3

Probably a cheap rip-off from The Mimeoplasm, but I had this idea.

Green cloning creature

Creature - Shapeshifter

Suspend -

You may have ~ enter the battlefield as a copy of any creature. If i was suspended, it gains X +1/+1 counters, where X was the number of time counters placed on it.

0/0.

How's this?
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
Suspend X. otherwise suspending for or is kinda ridiculous.

But really, this is just what blue does. Its really the best way to kill a legend.
Would you get mad at black for Doom Blade-ing your guy every turn?
you could theoretically run mirror gallery. I'm not really saying it would be a good addition to your deck selection unless maybe you were the one using all of the clone effects but it is an option.
Don't be too smart to have fun