Trying to build a mean DPS character levels 8-12

16 posts / 0 new
Last post

I'm starting a new campaign where max-min is strongly encouraged/necessary for survival. We start at level 8 and will probably go to level 14 or 15. We use inherent bonuses and sparse random magic items. I'm looking to create a DPS type character that can dish out the damage while having a decent chance of survival. Any ideas?

Ranger | Cleric

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

Ranger | Cleric is a very strong candidate.  Self healing, buffing, starting in scale armor via battle clerics lore, strong damage dealing, twin strike.  Other recommendation is to take the Spiked Chain Training to use the spiked chain as a two headed weapon.  That will allow you to only have one weapon to upgrade and still be able to use all the awesome two weapon powers of the ranger.  Get a Symbol of Victory to gain an extra action point per day when you crit.  Get the amazing light blade feats for support.  It'll kick butt, promise.

"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Spiked chain is nice, but it eats your MC, and that is much better spent on getting an encounter MBA, skill training, and access to the fighter support.  Get a double weapon, or use a rapier/short sword, or hell even offhand a dagger just in case you want a ranged option. d4/d6/d8 matters less and less past high heroic.
Spiked chain is nice, but it eats your MC, and that is much better spent on getting an encounter MBA, skill training, and access to the fighter support.  Get a double weapon, or use a rapier/short sword, or hell even offhand a dagger just in case you want a ranged option. d4/d6/d8 matters less and less past high heroic.

in a low magic world, you want to only have one weapon to upgrade.  What fighter support are you refering to ?  Meanwhile if you go spiked chain you can look at all the light blade feat support.  I don't see the loss of the MC slot to gain what you do (2 head light blade, reach) as being a negative in the kind of environment described by the OP.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

in a low magic world, you want to only have one weapon to upgrade.  What fighter support are you refering to ?  Meanwhile if you go spiked chain you can look at all the light blade feat support.  I don't see the loss of the MC slot to gain what you do (2 head light blade, reach) as being a negative in the kind of environment described by the OP.

If they are using inherent bonuses, then having 2 weapons means nothing as far as cost.  I already laid out the benefits.  Offturn MBA, skill, power swap for RoB.  Then you get access to all the fighter feats and PPs.  Spiked chain training gets you 2 2d4 reach light blades.  I'm not sold.

If they are using inherent bonuses, then having 2 weapons means nothing as far as cost.  I already laid out the benefits.  Offturn MBA, skill, power swap for RoB.  Then you get access to all the fighter feats and PPs.  Spiked chain training gets you 2 2d4 reach light blades.  I'm not sold.

Except that inherent bonuses does not mean you won't get magical weapons.  And if you do, then getting 2 magical weapons and keeping them up to date is a lot harder than one.  The gains of the MC fighter are good, but if he's looking for something solid MC spiked chain training is good as well.  It's proven to be a good choice.

Which fighter feats are you refering to btw ?  which PP ?  There's a very good PP available to Rangers called Blade Dancer, it gives very solid stuff for a Cleric | Ranger who won't get to see 16.  It's better than most fighter PP's for those restrictions.

The spiked chain is a solid weapon, that uses one of the best weapon groups in terms of feat support.  It also has reach which is something rare.  And there's even a combat style for light blade using twin strikers that allows you to add you dex mod if you hit with both attacks, Swift Blade Style.  This is a limited frame.

Between expertise, hybrid talent (prime shot) and then suite of prime shot feats, frost package, two-weapon suite..  What space is there left ?  Maybe one or two slots ?

I'm not convinced that what you propose would be of true benefit to a build with the frame and restrictions described that would give the same kind of payoff vs cost.  Feel free to show me I'm wrong though.

EDIT: Oh and I would go for a half-orc STR / DEX with a side of WIS. 

Why on Earth would you go Half-Orc for STR/DEX when you're in scale?
Halfling Daggermaster Rogue (Artful Dodger) was how I went in a Paragon game that started at 12.  My DM had to start adding extra hit points to enemies b/c I had the capability to charge in and crit half their life away or get a crit chain after stunning and the enemy would be dead   Specializing some for charging was a lot of fun too
If you go multi attack Ranger|Cleric in a low magic environment, what do you use to increase your static damage modifiers? Serious question.
If you go multi attack Ranger|Cleric in a low magic environment, what do you use to increase your static damage modifiers? Serious question.

Weapon focus.  Light Blade Expertise.  You should get an enhancement from Inherent Bonuses in this instance.  Item is what you miss out on, and the type-dependent bigger feat bonuses, but as era said, that's what genasi are for.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
How do Genasi figure in? Storm Sould and some way to add e keyword?
Genasi manifestation/racial feat to add lightning and fire to attacks EONT.  Thats 2 rounds of firewind blade murder, which is usually more than enough.
This character build style might be slightly too high level for your needs, but for your consideration...

As far as dishing out high damage, another route I like for dps is going sorcerer/barbarian.  For the build I did, I went dual implement, arcane admixture (lvl 11 feat), essence mage paragon path (AP), and using the lightning genasi manifestation for it's racial encounter, you can get some high damage.  This build I made focuses on turning acid orb into acid/thunder with the arcane admixture, and then you grab every power that increases thunder damage, ranged attacks, dual implement and other damage feats.  The damage can get quite high especially with some of the stances/rages of the barbarian augmenting your acid orb.  As for defense, hybrid talents (barbarian agility / dragon sorcerer) can do wonders and it is very easy to get your AC very high (certain dragon sorcerer powers rock for this).  Due to the nature of the paragon path, it easy real easy to get your resistances high too, albeit this assumes you're continuing your questing towards epic.
Genasi manifestation/racial feat to add lightning and fire to attacks EONT.  Thats 2 rounds of firewind blade murder, which is usually more than enough.

Shocking Flame to add fire and/or lightning to all melee attacks forever.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.