Play from the battlefield

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Would the rules have any problem with a theoretical card that allowed you to play cards from the battlefield? This situation can come up in silver-bordered games, but could it work in regular Magic?
Rules Advisor
I don't see a problem with it from a technical standpoint. It's weird and probably not particulaly intuitive, but it should be doable.
Do I Obsolete Grizzly Bears?
Creature -- Bear
You may cast THIS CREATURE from the battlefield.
2/2

I'm sorry. Being able to see it only makes it look more dumb to me.  

"Proc" stands for "Programmed Random OCcurance". It does not even vaguely apply to anything Magic cards do. Don't use it.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman

Do I Obsolete Grizzly Bears?
Creature -- Bear
You may cast THIS CREATURE from the battlefield.
2/2

I'm sorry. Being able to see it only makes it look more dumb to me.  

Give it flash. Now you have something.
Unintuitive though it may be, it has some interesting potential if you pair it with something that cares about spells being cast.

Recurring Racketeer
Creature -- Human Rogue
You may cast CARDNAME from the battlefield.
Extort (Whenever you cast a spell, you may pay (). If you do, each opponent loses 1 life and you gain that much life.)
2/2
Unintuitive though it may be, it has some interesting potential if you pair it with something that cares about spells being cast.

Recurring Racketeer
Creature -- Human Rogue
You may cast CARDNAME from the battlefield.
Extort (Whenever you cast a spell, you may pay (). If you do, each opponent loses 1 life and you gain that much life.)
2/2

Except extort only triggers on the battlefield...
But the creature was on the battlefield when it was cast.
At the time "when cast" needs to trigger, the casting is completed and the card is on the stack. It can't trigger from there.
But the creature was on the battlefield when it was cast.

No, it wasn't.

How to cast a spell:

1) Move it from its old zone (normally from hand; here, it's from the battlefield) to the stack.
2) Choose modes, additional costs like kicker, and so on
3) Choose targets, if any
4) Calculate the total cost
5) Activate mana abilities
6) Pay the cost
7) The spell is considered cast. Check to see if anything triggers.

Your "Recurring Racketeer" leaves the battlefield at (1). Extort can only trigger at (7).

[<o>]
It works fine. It's very odd, but there's nothing wrong with it from a technical point of view.

SadisticMystic created Proving Ground a while ago, and the discussion over there explores some implications of the ability. Ornithopter or Memnite do enable a variety of infinite effects a bit too easily if you make it granted to all creatures you control, but as an effect on a single creature, it's probably fine in the same way Misthollow Griffin is. 

Definitely best with flash, indeed. At that point it works pretty similarly to Flickering Spirit

If this was allowed, what would happen if you tried to cast from the battlefield (a) a land creature with mana cost, (b) a land without other types but with a mana cost, (c) a permanent with no types but with a mana cost?  I think if the bear Astarael has suggested was printed, then any of these could theoretically come up.

Edit: also, who could be allowed to cast a card from the battlefield?  Its owner?  Its controller?  Or any player?

If this was allowed, what would happen if you tried to cast from the battlefield (a) a land creature with mana cost, (b) a land without other types but with a mana cost, (c) a permanent with no types but with a mana cost?  I think if the bear Astarael has suggested was printed, then any of these could theoretically come up.

If the permanent has the land type on the battlefield then you wouldn't be able to cast it as you can never cast lands.  If it had land as a printed type but lost it (eg by being cytoshaped into the bear) then you would be able to cast it.  It would become a new object on the stack and would regain it's land type but you could continue casting it as you do not recheck legality once it's on the stack.  If the spell doesn't have a mana cost then you would be unable to play it and would undo the illegal action unless you had an abiltiy that let you cast spells without paying their mana costs.  Finally, in the (c) case you would cast it using the normal rules for a non-instant spell.

Edit: also, who could be allowed to cast a card from the battlefield?  Its owner?  Its controller?  Or any player

'You' refers to a object's controller if it's on the battlefield or stack.  So the creature's controller would be able to cast it. 

MJWhitfield1: thank you for the clarifications.

Finally, in the (c) case you would cast it using the normal rules for a non-instant spell.

I'm skeptical about this. The rules explain when you are permitted to cast Artifacts, Creatures, Enchantments, Planeswalkers, Instants, and Sorceries and explain that you are never allowed to cast a Land. What rule permits the casting of a card which isn't any of those things?

"Proc" stands for "Programmed Random OCcurance". It does not even vaguely apply to anything Magic cards do. Don't use it.

Zammm = Batman

Finally, in the (c) case you would cast it using the normal rules for a non-instant spell.

I'm skeptical about this. The rules explain when you are permitted to cast Artifacts, Creatures, Enchantments, Planeswalkers, Instants, and Sorceries and explain that you are never allowed to cast a Land. What rule permits the casting of a card which isn't any of those things?

I was basing this on the following rule from the timing and priority section:
116.1a. A player may cast an instant spell any time he or she has priority. A player may cast a noninstant spell during his or her main phase any time he or she has priority and the stack is empty.

However it is possible that I am wrong about that part as it is not an area that is really covered by the rules (since it is currently impossible to cast from the battlefield and to have a typeless card not on the battlefield).  It may not be relevant in any case, as even if the suggested card was printed, I don't think it would be possible to have a cast a typeless permanent.
No, I agree with you. If a card has types, 116.1a is in agreement with 301-307 and if it has no type, then only 116.1a applies.

Zammm = Batman

I was basing this on the following rule from the timing and priority section:
116.1a. A player may cast an instant spell any time he or she has priority. A player may cast a noninstant spell during his or her main phase any time he or she has priority and the stack is empty.

I guess you're right.  The rules would have a problem if a typeless spell had to resolve, because rule 608.3. says permanent spells get moved to the battlefield when they resolve, where a permanent spell is defined as an artifact, creature, enchantment, or planeswalker spell. However, if you cast a typeless permanent, you won't get a typeless spell, as 400.7. makes the spell have only the properties of the printed card.