Dragonborn creation

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
I need help setting up my dragonborn character. So far my character has 18 strength, 18 constitution, 10 dexterity, 13 intelligence, 18 wisdom, and 18 charisma. The powers and feats I have already are dragonborn fury and dragon breath. I need help figuring out my fortitude, reflex, will, and what other powers and feats would optimize my character if he is a warrior.
Assuming you haven't yet added a class onto this character your saves are fort +4 (from your con modifier. A reflex of +0 (only dex applies) and will of +4 (from wisdom) when you add a class your base saves would increase those. Your feat selection/powers depend on your available sources and your focus. If you want to focus on your breath weapon (not a great choice unless you wanted to go dragonfire adept [which is a wonderful class everyone should try]) or focus on your melee prowess, since you said you wanted to play a warrior. For that the tome of battle/simple barb would be a good call. Your stats (which are quite good) play perfectly to a front liner which is handy. Finally if you could include more details on sources and direction I will be able to give far more input. Also include and relevant house rules, to ensure that I don't give you poor information based off of my own assumption the regular rule would be inplay.
Ok first of all thanks for the complement and if it helps I will be the tank. We are using the players handbook as far as I know(I was told to set up my character as the DM is new and doesn't want to deal with my character) I know not of any rules that are specific to my party so if you could I would like as much info as you can spare and I will cross reference with my DM . I just need a way to figure out the total fortitude, reflex, and will and I would like a list of the powers and feats available to me. Thanks!
I would like to focus on what would give me the most possible chance of dealing damage. My ac is 18 because I have chainmail, and a shield(which accompanies my shortsword)
We are using the players handbook as far as I know

You're playing 4E, aren't you?
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
I honestly have no idea we are in one of the later versions though I was redirected here from the 4e character creation section
For tanking pick up a weapon that can use to trip with (such as a spiked chain or guisarm) at the begining of the game its a good idea to start as a fighter or barbarian (the saves bonus on the chart will be added to the base values I gave you earlier equallying your total saves). Barbarian or fighter is the simplest way focus on tripping early on. Then try to get to large size and focus on zone control (hitting enemies with your attacks of oppertunities which can trip) later on you will want to get a big sword and try and chop the bad guys down(great sword ideally although there are other options) the other big option you have based off your scores is a cleric who buffs himself then deal damage with those big damage buffs. Druid can do this too but is more complicated, and I think you want a fighting character not a shapeshifterr. Finally as soon as you get past level 2 or 3 switch to a big 2 handed weapon. The sheild isn't worth since you can animate it later for the benefit but still have a free hand. Some good feats would be improved trip(trip bonus and a free attack when you trip) , power attack(big damage) combat reflexes ironically isn't very helpful due to your low dex. Improved initiative is a good idea though to let you position. All the options I gave this far are all in the players handbook, if you learn more books are available then I urge you to let me know since it opens up more options. Anymore questions are welcome and I'm happy to help
My DM gave me the choices of a shortsword/shield or a two handed broadsword starting out I thought it logical to have a shield and any feats/powers I the handbook aiding me in any way would help.
Our party consists of a dwarven cleric a halfling rogue a human Mage and me and apparently we're getting another member
I would probably start with a sheild sword early on since the added defense will help you quite a bit since one hit can be devastating for your party. Also the armor will help you from traps for the time being. Just at level 3 or more your damage will become more useful, then you will also have more hitpoints to survive a hit when possible.
Ok thanks should I pick up plate armor when I get the chance?
For your character it wouldn't be a bad idea but I mithral breatplate will give you more maneuverability and is just slightly cheaper. It also has no armor check penalty vs the huge -8 that comes along with plate armor. Armor becomes less important later as long as you can get atleast 25 ac before level 7 or 8 (this keeps your hp high due to needing more then a 9 to hit you for most monsters) the speed penalty to plate isn't great either, I believe the mithral breastpplate to be better. But that's just my 2 copper on it I don't usually play characters in heavy armor
So let me put that together: You are a dragonborn Human(i assume human, cause you took 2 feats) with the feats dragonborn fury and dragonborn breath. Your stats are 18 strength, 18 constitution, 10 dexterity, 13 intelligence, 18 wisdom, and 18 charisma.

I assume all books are allowed(because Dragonborn is from outside the Player Handbook). If you want to keep it simple and want to deal damage, go for Barbarian. If you need feats, take 1 or 2 levels in fighter(its your favourite class, so you want get a penaly on XP through multiclassing in it, if you play with that rule). Later on, look at the prestige classes in Complete Warrior or the base and prestige classes in Tome of Battle(really, if you have the time, look at Tome of Battle, its a great addition for every melee).

So to the question, how your saves are calculated: You look at the table of each class you have, take the base saves listed their in the line of the level you have in that class. Then you add these base saves together(seperated for each save of course) and add the relevant ability modifier(so CON for Fort, DEX for Ref and WIS for Will). For example, when you start with a level of Barbarian, you would have +2 Fort, +0 Ref and +0 Will from your class. Your ability modifiers are +4 on CON, +0 on DEX and +4 on WIS. So your Fort save would be: 2+4=6, your Ref would be 0+0=0 and your Will 0+4=4. If you level up in Barbarian, you will have +3 Fort, +0 Ref and +0 Will. Your Ref and Will wouldnt change(except your DEX or WILL change) and your Fort would go up by 1, now being 3+4=7. 
On third level for example, you add a level of Monk(Don't really do it, its awful, its just here for explantation). You then would be a Barbarian2/Monk1.

Your base saves on barb2 would be 3/0/0 and on Monk 1 2/2/2. So now, you add these together, getting 5/2/2. On this, you add you Ability modifiers, so your total saves on level 3 would be 9/2/6.

For a list of available (and useful feats), look at the guides found here: www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=399... For Dealing damage as a melee, the most important feat, you need later on is Powerattack and a good twohanded weapon. I would recommend, taking it on level 6. For the other feats, frost.fire allready listed good options. If Complete Warrior is available and you go Barbarian, Extra Rage is a good investion early on, so you could Rage in every fight and make good use of the extra STR.

For the descision, between Sword and board or twohanded. When you are next time avaible to go shopping with your character, try to get a Greatsword or a Greataxe. If you want to go for Trip, get a Guisarme. And a Spiked Gauntlet is a must for everyone with a Weapon that can get lost, in my opinion.#

Hope that helped you out a bit

I need help setting up my dragonborn character. So far my character has 18 strength, 18 constitution, 10 dexterity, 13 intelligence, 18 wisdom, and 18 charisma. The powers and feats I have already are dragonborn fury and dragon breath. I need help figuring out my fortitude, reflex, will, and what other powers and feats would optimize my character if he is a warrior.

Ok first of all thanks for the complement and if it helps I will be the tank. We are using the players handbook as far as I know(I was told to set up my character as the DM is new and doesn't want to deal with my character) I know not of any rules that are specific to my party so if you could I would like as much info as you can spare and I will cross reference with my DM . I just need a way to figure out the total fortitude, reflex, and will and I would like a list of the powers and feats available to me. Thanks!

My DM gave me the choices of a shortsword/shield or a two handed broadsword starting out I thought it logical to have a shield and any feats/powers I the handbook aiding me in any way would help.

Guys, he's playing 4e. Why aren't you telling him to GTFO?
Customer Disservice of the House of Trolls Resident Secretly Ron Paul God of Spite and Sloth