2/27/2013 UR: "Fblthp"

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Uncharted Realms, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
This is the first Uncharted Realms I've enjoyed in a while. 

but seriously, when will we get part 2 of The Burying? 
I think we might have our Azorius champion. ;D
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
Bwahaha! Very good work, Mr. Tabak. Very good indeed.

(Also, I miss your Tumblr! I'm sorry if people were jerks to you.) 
Good job Mr. Tabak!

Also, I am a horrible person. I was expecting a fling in the ending somewhere, followed by the text...
:3

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
When does Fblthp's spark ignite? It must happen
I agree wholeheartedly.
I jumped for joy after I read this.  It was the highest I've ever been off the ground.
Oh, man. I can't wait for Fblthp, Surmounter of the AEther in Return to Return to Ravnica. Even better would be at the end of Friends block; then we can see his triumphant return home after learning to ascend to even the most dizzying heights throughout the Blind Eternities.

PS: Wizards, there's a problem with ligatures in card names. A properly ligated Æ is displayed as .
Fblthp is going to be the new breakout character... if he doesn't come back in Dragon's Maze i will be seriously dissapointed...  As for Fblthp as a planeswalker.... http://25.media.tumblr.com/fa6c59dab2c82f4f436edf6fa6ed9972/tumblr_mi2k0xpEtx1rldsako1_400.jpg

This is the first Uncharted Realms I've enjoyed in a while. 

but seriously, when will we get part 2 of The Burying? 

Aww... How cute... You still think we're going to get part 2...

I miss Jenna. She never put us through a wait like this Cry.
I enjoyed this. It was a nice little story.

I do hope the character doesn't become recurring, though. I feel like that would end up ruining it.
Yays for Fblthp! Damn shame Dragons Maze is probably already through the printing.
Maybe he could make a reappearance in a core set? Making a Homunculus with an appropriate artwork and a flavor text mentioning him would be enough to make me cheer!
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Fblthp needs to be printed as a legendary creature.

Show
Spoiler: He won't though. Given that people can't even spell or pronounce Thoughtseize, this one is a goner.

Excellent. More Fblthp is always a good thing.
Loved. It. !.

I also was expecting a fling at the end, but that ending was fine as well.

I also really enjoyed spotting the homunculus in the art that was created for this article. 
Thanks for that, Mr. Writer.

I think Ftblthp would fit best in a Planechase release:

Name: Fblthp the Lost
Cost: UU
Pow/Tgh: (0/2)
Rules Text: {U}, Put Fblthp the Lost on top of its owner's library: Roll the planar die.
Excellent. Who doesn't love Fblthp? We need to see more of him. Legendary creature would be fine. Planeswalker (spark igniting during a particularly traumatic errand, of course) would be even better, especially for an Un- set.
Fblthp is the new Norin the Wary.
To all the people saying Fblthp should return as a Planeswalker, please keep in mind that artificially created beings, like elementals and homonculi, can not be born with innate sparks to ignite.

"But what about Karn?!" you say.

To which I'd respond, "Karn received his first spark in the form of the Powerstone eyes of the recently-deceased Urza. He sacrificed it to seal temporal rips during the Time Spiral block. Feeling the beginnings of the Phyrexian corruption taking hold of him, Karn then used the last of his power to travel back to Mirrodin, where he remained trapped for awhile until he was given another spark by Venser in order to prevent his Phyrexian compleation."
For everyone who wants Fblthp to be a planeswalker: I'd hate to burst your bubble, but Fblthp is a Homunculus, which means he's probably a created being, and thus unable to ever become a planeswalker.

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

More like the new Squee. All the Jaces and Lilianas and stuff are so serious all the time. Hopefully the popularity of this guy helps Wizards to see some of the holes in their current selection of personalities, characters, and plotlines.
If angels are artificially created, then are demons? Because they seem to be able to have planeswalker sparks...
I laughed out loud when I saw what the Uncharted Realms was this week.  Seeing Fblthp inserted to all those different art pieces made me chuckle, too.  Nice job.
I'm ok with the character, and you had a few good jokes, but the plot and ending was rather boring and predictable. So Fblthp gets grabbed by the bad Rakdos man (the one we never learn anything interesting about) and... nothing happens. Goodness and justice triumph fifteen seconds later.
I jumped for joy after I read this.  It was the highest I've ever been off the ground.

Well played good sir.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

To people suggesting that homonculi, as traditionally created beings, can't have a spark, the Senator's speech at the end of story, "compensating" Fblthp with the option for his descendants to get him a statue, suggests that homonculi on Ravnica can be a naturally occurring and breeding species, thus fully capable of being born with a spark.
There's also a fact that it's a work of fiction so you could just make some **** up
loved the reading.
I play for fun
To people suggesting that homonculi, as traditionally created beings, can't have a spark, the Senator's speech at the end of story, "compensating" Fblthp with the option for his descendants to get him a statue, suggests that homonculi on Ravnica can be a naturally occurring and breeding species, thus fully capable of being born with a spark.

More likely, the fact that they aren't was meant to be the joke.
Or even *more* likely, the senator's quip about the descendants was probably part of a scripted speech that he is required to give as per Azorius protocols whenever a resident of Ravnica assists with an arrest. He's probably given the exact same speech 100 times. 
Fblthp needs to be a Legendary Creature or Planeswalker, the masses decree it!

Already thinking of what crazy flavor awesomeness could ensue...

Fblthp, the Wanderer - 2 W/U
Legendary Creature - Homunculus

While you're searching your library, you may cast ~ from your library.
If ~ would die, you may instead shuffle it into your library.

When ~ leaves the battlefield, target creature gains "At the beginning of each end step, Detain this creature."
0/2
Or even *more* likely, the senator's quip about the descendants was probably part of a scripted speech that he is required to give as per Azorius protocols whenever a resident of Ravnica assists with an arrest. He's probably given the exact same speech 100 times. 

Yes.

That was the joke. These guys are so stuck in their ways that they will deliver the same speech to everyone, even a creature that is incapable of reproduction and thus does not benefit from it in any way. It was also a joke about how the superior didn't care about Flip-Flop, not even bothering to pronounce his name right or pay any heed to the fact that the speech doesn't apply to him in the slightest.

Poe's Law.

Edit: Looks like the dogpile started already. No one, however, has used this one yet:

I'm ok with the character, and you had a few good jokes, but the plot and ending was rather boring and predictable. So Fblthp gets grabbed by the bad Rakdos man (the one we never learn anything interesting about) and... nothing happens. Goodness and justice triumph fifteen seconds later.

Since the focus was on the "comedy" character, I am more or less ok with the lack of drama in the plot. A thing that I miss, though, is that I would have liked to know more about why Fblthp was selected for this mission in the first place. Seriously, although I fully get that this was not the point of the story, something had to be done to make slightly more believable this part of the novel: even in comedy, people need good excuses to suspend their unbelief; you just can't help wondering "Why Fblthp?" for all the length of the novel and, although it's correct that the character himself is left in the dark about that, the reader should get an explanation.
Because he's disposable.
The saga of "Fblthp" MUST continue! This creature is the most lovible and cute thing since Squee.

Although I'm a bit on the fence with the idea of Fblthp becoming a Planeswalker. Concidering his disposition, he would most likely spend the rest of his days tending the garden as opposed to traversing the multiverse and facing unknown dangers and getting scaired half to death.

But then again, there is no rule that says he can't overcome his timidness and charge forward into a crowd of unruling Rakdos... only to get flinged away from the crowd...

This is giving me ideas for a sequal...