Sticky Situations as a Rogue. Possible group fallout. Advice??

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok here's the rundown... I'm playing a 3.5 edition game in a homebrew world as the only Rogue in a party of 6. Currently we are all level 4 and are all experienced players, however, these are a tightknit group of guys who have all played together before and I am new to the group and they world they created.

While I like the DM and his attention to detail and his ability to make a really good story, I feel like he blocks my character and shows favoritism to a few of the others.

Example given: One player is a pirate and has 3 pirate followers. He has more exp than anyone else and is the richest player on the vessel (which is necessary for transport). On the surface this seems ok, but I noticed that the DM just hands him wealth (you search your quarters and find 500 gp hidden in a bedpost) and he is the only one that gets exp for sea battles when boarding isn't involved. I on the other hand as a rogue have had to scrounge up wealth by forgery, theft, and helping other players unlock chests (aka actually working for my gold), but even at this the pirate doesn't help me but insists that he get a share of the spoils. This false sense of entitlement was practically encouraged by the DM, I feel, and is fast driving a wedge between other players (one wants to kill him off).

Next up, my sticky situation...
Normally, one should shy away from absurd plans and goals but for some reason this particular party seems good at it. I am the schemer of the group and I come up with some clever ideas for making money, and I usually can get some support from the other characters. My latest deathwish, get rich scheme involves the capturing of an assumed level 12 gnome wizard. I know, seems insane at level 4. However, due to an absurd amount of nat 20s we learned her name, place of business, bar of choice (she's a drunk), and her routines. One player even managed to get her to come back to our ship and sleep with her. We decided that given a certain condition we would try to kidnap then possibly kill her. The opportunity hadn't presented itself yet, but I was thinking of following her from the bar (when she was drunk) and doing a sleight of hand on her (mines maxed at 13 right now). As a wizard it could be assumed that she doesn't have much going on in wisdom and if she were drunk she would take negatives in addition, given these assumptions it's the only reason I'd consider doing something this insane. My ultimate goal is to make off with her knapsack that is presumed to hold her spellbook... I believe my equally crazy friends would be on board.

Which brings me to my questions...

1. Any tips on how I can present how I feel to the DM? Right now, it seems a little unfair. For a rogue I'm actually a team player but I don't feel like I am being treated as fairly as that one specific player, he's becoming way over powered.

2. With my situation involving the wizard, how many of you would give this a try?? She's an alchemist who makes potions and magical implements (hence why we can assume she's level 12) and her spellbook could be valuable to a few of my fellow players and in true roguish fashion I could always sell it to the right person for alot of gold. The wheels are turning, but I need to know if I'm on some suicidal crazy train.

3. How can I stand up to the player who's reaping all the benefits? I don't necessarily want a party schism, but it's gotten so bad I want to start stealing from him or allow him to get hurt somehow should his attitude of entitlement progress.
1. Any tips on how I can present how I feel to the DM? Right now, it seems a little unfair. For a rogue I'm actually a team player but I don't feel like I am being treated as fairly as that one specific player, he's becoming way over powered.

Be direct and have an out-of-game conversation with the DM. Tell him calmly and politely how you perceive the situation and ask for his help in improving it. Note that he may not see a problem with what he's doing and may not change even if asked. At that point, it's up to you what you want to do, but I would avoid "getbacks" in the game against the PC in question. It's immature and D&D doesn't handle pvp situations very well at all.

2. With my situation involving the wizard, how many of you would give this a try?? She's an alchemist who makes potions and magical implements (hence why we can assume she's level 12) and her spellbook could be valuable to a few of my fellow players and in true roguish fashion I could always sell it to the right person for alot of gold. The wheels are turning, but I need to know if I'm on some suicidal crazy train.

It's worth a shot.

3. How can I stand up to the player who's reaping all the benefits? I don't necessarily want a party schism, but it's gotten so bad I want to start stealing from him or allow him to get hurt somehow should his attitude of entitlement progress.

Out-of-game conversation. Your problem is with the player (and the DM), not with the character. Handle it like an adult.

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Dungeon Master 101  |  Session Zero  |  Structure First, Story Last  |  No Myth Roleplaying  |  5e Monster Index & Encounter Calculator
Players: Players 101  |  11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer  |  You Are Not Your Character  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs

Content I Created: Adventure Scenarios  |  Actual Play Reports  |  Tools  |  Game Transcripts

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

Of course I intend on being diplomatic in my approach. After the last session was over I did calmly ask if maybe things were stacked a little off balance, but the player seems unwilling to reason and maintains that it's his "right" to assert himself to any booty on his ship.  Also the afforementioned player surrounds himself with follower NPCs as well as a certain other character, who's kind of a cult leader, I'm not sure why this was allowed but alas, DM discretion lol. Last session the DM mentioned "culling" the ship of follower NPCs but alluded that this would only effect the latter character, while the former one intends on hiring more. To me this seems perfect validation of favoritism. I really do want to have a polite conversation as you suggest, I have no intention otherwise. I guess my only hope is that the DM can see my point of view and reach a compromise.

I agree, petty getbacks are not the way to solve a problem and all in all it is detrimental to the group function. I'll abide by this, it's just that in terms of character to character mine would think his was trying to rip him off... I'm sure you can understand the frustration?
Of course I intend on being diplomatic in my approach. After the last session was over I did calmly ask if maybe things were stacked a little off balance, but the player seems unwilling to reason and maintains that it's his "right" to assert himself to any booty on his ship.  Also the afforementioned player surrounds himself with follower NPCs as well as a certain other character, who's kind of a cult leader, I'm not sure why this was allowed but alas, DM discretion lol. Last session the DM mentioned "culling" the ship of follower NPCs but alluded that this would only effect the latter character, while the former one intends on hiring more. To me this seems perfect validation of favoritism. I really do want to have a polite conversation as you suggest, I have no intention otherwise. I guess my only hope is that the DM can see my point of view and reach a compromise.

Good job approaching it out in the open.

It sounds a little like one or two players said "We'd like to be pirates," and the DM accommodated that perfectly reasonable request, but then felt bound to add all the trappings of piracy to the characters. I mean, it could be argued that it doesn't "make sense" or isn't "right" for a pirate and ship owner not to be the richest character. The DM might not know how to back out of or adjust the situation.

And he shouldn't necessarily back out. But there should be some ways for the other characters to be brought more in line with the pirate character. Unfortunately, this probably has to be handled from the DM's side, but one thing that could be done could be to rethink those ship-to-ship battles. In a fantasy world, boarding parties should be teleporting over. Golems and undead could be shot across by cannon or catapult. Some boarders would just fly or swim across. Suddenly, everyone on board had their hands full.

Another approach would be to rethink treasure. It doesn't always have to be in gold or other fungible goods. Payment for a job could be in the form of a favor or credit. Items need not literally be items, but can boons or the like.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

I agree, petty getbacks are not the way to solve a problem and all in all it is detrimental to the group function. I'll abide by this, it's just that in terms of character to character mine would think his was trying to rip him off... I'm sure you can understand the frustration?

Honestly, not really. I could care less about imaginary wealth. I much prefer the thrill of high adventure and that looks to be lacking in this campaign based on what you describe. Compelling action and adventure tends to squeeze out petty intraparty schemes in my experience because the characters need to work together to succeed in their goals.

As far as looking at the situation from a positive perspective, your character could easily subscribe to the notion that the pirate PC is legitimately due that share because of custom and tradition. Ask what benefits you should expect to receive for "kicking up," such as a guarantee of protection from the pirate PC. If he offers it in exchange for a share of your take, then go get yourself into some serious trouble. Adventure will then ensue if he abides by his word. This method takes a "bad" situation and turns it around because you're looking for reasons why you can accept the status quo rather than why you can't.

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Dungeon Master 101  |  Session Zero  |  Structure First, Story Last  |  No Myth Roleplaying  |  5e Monster Index & Encounter Calculator
Players: Players 101  |  11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer  |  You Are Not Your Character  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs

Content I Created: Adventure Scenarios  |  Actual Play Reports  |  Tools  |  Game Transcripts

As far as looking at the situation from a positive perspective, your character could easily subscribe to the notion that the pirate PC is legitimately due that share because of custom and tradition. Ask what benefits you should expect to receive for "kicking up," such as a guarantee of protection from the pirate PC. If he offers it in exchange for a share of your take, then go get yourself into some serious trouble. Adventure will then ensue if he abides by his word. This method takes a "bad" situation and turns it around because you're looking for reasons why you can accept the status quo rather than why you can't.

I really like this, though I'd be careful with it. Come to the arrangement as players, and talk about what you want to do to take it in interesting directions. Otherwise, I would fully expect the other player to say, "Nope, I'm not obligated to help in this situation, best of luck," and leave you high and dry.

I really like this, though I'd be careful with it. Come to the arrangement as players, and talk about what you want to do to take it in interesting directions. Otherwise, I would fully expect the other player to say, "Nope, I'm not obligated to help in this situation, best of luck," and leave you high and dry.

True, as with any such suggestion, it should come with the buy-in of the other players involved (and the DM).

I would take to the DM and tell him your concerns. 

A few notes on wealth distribution, it should be evenly distributed, yes there is the expense of the ship, but after that expence is covered then the majority of the wealth should be pooled and split among the group evenly.

As for the XP in ship to ship battles, the entire party should get XP, your character shouldn't be considered only a spectator. I think the best way you can facilitate this is picking up the skill Profession (sailor) and if at this point the game is focused on naval adventures, I would allow you to respec you skill points for this (that is up to your DM) in this way Your character will be helping to man the ship during ship to ship battles and thus should get an even share of XP.

Another way of "compromising" with the wealth distribution is suggesting the group invest in getting a larger ship. Pick up the Profession (Sailor) skill yourself and then suggest that everyone invest into a ship equally, with each party member having a different position in the ship, and each a seperate division of men. Helm, Sails, Weapons, etc, this makes the  talk about equal shares of loot and Xp go down better because it focuses on the gains of a better vessel, and the ship gets a cut for repairs and upgrades.

Centauri, you raise excellent alternatives I will be sure to mention some of these... In addition, I even suggested to the player that the pirate could train his fellow adventurers in profession sailor so we all could play an active role in said sea battles instead of hiring more goons (a burden on his payroll) and moreover the rest of us just being bored. He seemed reticent to do this despite how illogical it might seem. I like the idea of teleporting or flying to board, and believe me I would have definitely asked about that, but we are level 4 no one can fly as most of us are human, poor, and only two people are casters (who coincidentally can't do any of the things stated). Given time, I don't think it'll be much of a problem anymore.

Iserith, yes I am well aware that imaginary wealth isn't everything and believe me it's not my complete end game. In fairness there was a detail I left out for fear of being too longwinded in my original post. For some reason, our group has only on one occasion had to be in one place and to work together on one common goal. The rest of the campaign thus far as been factionalized (for example, a few characters must carry out a mission while others must complete another). For my part, I try to solicit the help of others so people aren't bored and we get more of the adventure! And unlike him I reward people for helping me out, whereas he kind of just expects it.

The reason why wealth is important at least to my character, is because I use it as a plot line (trying to take over a merchants guild and certain trade routes). So far, I've been able to start off small and collapse a town's economy through some shady dealings. The pirate seemed interested, so I'm trying to engage him to bridge the gap. The wealth being argued over is a plot device by itself (a chest of stolen dwarven gems) he did nothing to find it, carry it, or unlock the chest. It's going to be hard to fence it safely and I want to ask for his help (at that point I wouldn't mind sharing the results) he's pledged his help once before then bailed. You know the whole "fool me twice shame on me etc."?

You make a very good point about soliciting favors if I'm ponying up, that might help with at least the side story i'm working towards. The main story seems to factionalize us, but at least on some of our side projects we could all work together.

Thanks guys for your input and advice, I shall be sure to mention all of the above. I got some new perspective to go on.
Centauri, you raise excellent alternatives I will be sure to mention some of these... In addition, I even suggested to the player that the pirate could train his fellow adventurers in profession sailor so we all could play an active role in said sea battles instead of hiring more goons (a burden on his payroll) and moreover the rest of us just being bored. He seemed reticent to do this despite how illogical it might seem.

That seems perfectly consistent with what you've told me. This player is basically the big dog in this game, and wants to keep it that way.

I like the idea of teleporting or flying to board, and believe me I would have definitely asked about that, but we are level 4 no one can fly as most of us are human, poor, and only two people are casters (who coincidentally can't do any of the things stated). Given time, I don't think it'll be much of a problem anymore.

Not you boarding, the enemy boarding. I don't know how other ships fight back now, but there's no limit to the tactics they might use. To me it makes perfect sense that ships would carry spellcasters, or other fantastical means of offense and defense that can put enemies right on your ship. The spellcaster doesn't even have to be powerful, maybe just one who is specialized in teleporting or hurling payloads. Or summoning sea-creatures. Or raising drowned spirits. Anything. All they need to do is disrupt the pilot and deck operations for long enough for their own ship to get away, so once the countermeasures have been enacted, the PCs will all need to join in to keep the quarry from escaping.

I would take to the DM and tell him your concerns. 

A few notes on wealth distribution, it should be evenly distributed, yes there is the expense of the ship, but after that expence is covered then the majority of the wealth should be pooled and split among the group evenly.

As for the XP in ship to ship battles, the entire party should get XP, your character shouldn't be considered only a spectator. I think the best way you can facilitate this is picking up the skill Profession (sailor) and if at this point the game is focused on naval adventures, I would allow you to respec you skill points for this (that is up to your DM) in this way Your character will be helping to man the ship during ship to ship battles and thus should get an even share of XP.

Another way of "compromising" with the wealth distribution is suggesting the group invest in getting a larger ship. Pick up the Profession (Sailor) skill yourself and then suggest that everyone invest into a ship equally, with each party member having a different position in the ship, and each a seperate division of men. Helm, Sails, Weapons, etc, this makes the  talk about equal shares of loot and Xp go down better because it focuses on the gains of a better vessel, and the ship gets a cut for repairs and upgrades.

Exactly!! He wants a better ship. I've offered to help him commandeer one in exchange for assisstance in something else. It piqued his interest, and with the sailing profession I will most definitely have to speak to the DM about that, I tried getting the pirate to teach me some but no dice lol... It would make us stronger as a unit if we could all earn the ability to do our part.

Wealth so far has been a darwinian experience, "if you find and work for it you keep it" seems to be the order of the day, except in the case of the pirate... For some reason it doesn't get dispersed, probably because the whole group didn't earn it, it's only been a few people doing the legwork so to speak. Those of us who get it are pretty good about independently dividing it into shares for those of us who assissted in acquiring it, it's just the pirate (who spends most of his time doing his own thing) who walks up and claims a share of what we got.
Centauri, you raise excellent alternatives I will be sure to mention some of these... In addition, I even suggested to the player that the pirate could train his fellow adventurers in profession sailor so we all could play an active role in said sea battles instead of hiring more goons (a burden on his payroll) and moreover the rest of us just being bored. He seemed reticent to do this despite how illogical it might seem. I like the idea of teleporting or flying to board, and believe me I would have definitely asked about that, but we are level 4 no one can fly as most of us are human, poor, and only two people are casters (who coincidentally can't do any of the things stated). Given time, I don't think it'll be much of a problem anymore.

The problem is with thinking you need Profession (Sailor) to contribute meaningfully in a ship-to-ship battle scene in the first place. You don't. Contribute in other ways. To exclude you over that level of simulation is ridiculous.

Iserith, yes I am well aware that imaginary wealth isn't everything and believe me it's not my complete end game. In fairness there was a detail I left out for fear of being too longwinded in my original post. For some reason, our group has only on one occasion had to be in one place and to work together on one common goal. The rest of the campaign thus far as been factionalized (for example, a few characters must carry out a mission while others must complete another). For my part, I try to solicit the help of others so people aren't bored and we get more of the adventure! And unlike him I reward people for helping me out, whereas he kind of just expects it.

I think the players should pause for a moment and brainstorm some common goals that work for their characters and then focus on those.

The reason why wealth is important at least to my character, is because I use it as a plot line (trying to take over a merchants guild and certain trade routes). So far, I've been able to start off small and collapse a town's economy through some shady dealings. The pirate seemed interested, so I'm trying to engage him to bridge the gap. The wealth being argued over is a plot device by itself (a chest of stolen dwarven gems) he did nothing to find it, carry it, or unlock the chest. It's going to be hard to fence it safely and I want to ask for his help (at that point I wouldn't mind sharing the results) he's pledged his help once before then bailed. You know the whole "fool me twice shame on me etc."?

As Centauri said, for anything involving another player's character, you really need that player's buy-in to make it work.

You make a very good point about soliciting favors if I'm ponying up, that might help with at least the side story i'm working towards. The main story seems to factionalize us, but at least on some of our side projects we could all work together.

Talk to the player out-of-game about this rather than get frustrated trying to convince a reluctant player's character to get onboard. Ask the DM to present some challenges that threaten the party as a whole.

Centauri, you raise excellent alternatives I will be sure to mention some of these... In addition, I even suggested to the player that the pirate could train his fellow adventurers in profession sailor so we all could play an active role in said sea battles instead of hiring more goons (a burden on his payroll) and moreover the rest of us just being bored. He seemed reticent to do this despite how illogical it might seem.

That seems perfectly consistent with what you've told me. This player is basically the big dog in this game, and wants to keep it that way.

I like the idea of teleporting or flying to board, and believe me I would have definitely asked about that, but we are level 4 no one can fly as most of us are human, poor, and only two people are casters (who coincidentally can't do any of the things stated). Given time, I don't think it'll be much of a problem anymore.

Not you boarding, the enemy boarding. I don't know how other ships fight back now, but there's no limit to the tactics they might use. To me it makes perfect sense that ships would carry spellcasters, or other fantastical means of offense and defense that can put enemies right on your ship. The spellcaster doesn't even have to be powerful, maybe just one who is specialized in teleporting or hurling payloads. Or summoning sea-creatures. Or raising drowned spirits. Anything. All they need to do is disrupt the pilot and deck operations for long enough for their own ship to get away, so once the countermeasures have been enacted, the PCs will all need to join in to keep the quarry from escaping.

Ah, yes I guess I misread that statement lol. We have encountered interplanal portals forming under our ship and strange amounts of undead signatures in the water, nothing has made it to our deck yet though, however we did have to save one player from being dragged overboard while painting the ship... In all actuality if some of those things you mentioned were to happen it would make things alot more interesting. We've been slicing through enemies like butter, I'd like to be scared for once. That's probably why I'm gonna rob that wizard lol

The problem is with thinking you need Profession (Sailor) to contribute meaningfully in a ship-to-ship battle scene in the first place. You don't. Contribute in other ways. To exclude you over that level of simulation is ridiculous.

I think the players should pause for a moment and brainstorm some common goals that work for their characters and then focus on those.

As Centauri said, for anything involving another player's character, you really need that player's buy-in to make it work.

Talk to the player out-of-game about this rather than get frustrated trying to convince a reluctant player's character to get onboard. Ask the DM to present some challenges that threaten the party as a whole.

Just to clarify, in the sea battles, I'm merely addressing ones in which we have not had to board and its just ship maneuvering and ballistae bombardment. Our DM won't let anyone without some ranks in profession sailor to take part in that, so the pirate gets all the exp. However, when we get in boarding range we all take part, but don't get as much exp. If something were to fly at us or teleport over then we'd all have a shot and would gladly do it, so far it hasn't happened.

On your second point I couldn't agree more.

Yes, buy-in is important, but maybe I'm just confused about how you can refuse to buy into helping but just take a part of what some people actively banded together to achieve without doing anything to effect the results?

Lastly, will do! Gonna see him on Friday.
Our DM won't let anyone without some ranks in profession sailor to take part in that, so the pirate gets all the exp.

Yes, and that's ridiculous. Total DM fail.

Yes, buy-in is important, but maybe I'm just confused about how you can refuse to buy into helping but just take a part of what some people actively banded together to achieve without doing anything to effect the results?

His character can ask and demand, but it doesn't mean you have to give him squat. What will he do if you refuse him a share? Of course, that conflict really starts to spill into player against player and is deserving of an out-of-game conversation to set expectations rather than simply spring it on him in the middle of a game and get awkward results. "Hey, Bob, my thief isn't going to be giving your pirate a share of his treasure anymore unless you've either helped him acquire it in some way or unless you give up some kind of favors that you as a player promise your character will keep. What do you think?"

- Just tell him/her. Criticize in private, and praise in public if possible.

- I would. Most definitely. The gnome can make potions and some items at level 3. Maybe not as powerful as all that. Even if the gnome is lvl 12... a simple day job as a chamber-pot cleaner can get you into the gnome's room. Unless the DM hears your plan and goes meta-game stupid on you.

- I've been in this situation as well. I said my peace about it and it got a little better.. not great, but manageable. The DM really needs to make an adjust or it's not likely to go well. The DM has bias, sounds like. The player getting all the extras isn't really the problem. After you've talked to the DM, give him a fair chance to change. He's going to have blowback from the player that was formerly favored. Especially if he overcompensates. And giving your character free crap isn't really fixing the problem if all you want is a fair shake. Talk to the DM. If it doesn't work, decide if your having enough fun to warrant playing  with them anyway. If not, go. If so, just have your character do what he would do given a crappy and unfair circumstance. If they don't like it, be open for suggestions. I think at some point something will have to give, though.
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
Warning: this post runs a bit long.
One player is a pirate and has 3 pirate followers. He has more exp than anyone else and is the richest player on the vessel (which is necessary for transport). On the surface this seems ok, but I noticed that the DM just hands him wealth (you search your quarters and find 500 gp hidden in a bedpost)

What, like, literally he needs some more cash so he just goes and searches his room again and surprise!  "There's another 500gp in that bedpost AGAIN!  What a stroke of luck!" sort of thing?  "No no, THIS time you find a 500gp gem... uh... inside one of your shoes!  Yeah, that's it!  In your shoe!"  If that were the case I'd have spoken up instantly.  It's only a game and all, and who's going to argue with FREE MONEY(!), but that kind of nonsense is immediately going to stick in my craw if it's only going into the pockets of ONE player character.  Wow.  Just wow.

and he is the only one that gets exp for sea battles when boarding isn't involved.

Sure.  Cuz, like, all us other players don't mind sitting around and waiting while just one PC plays and gets xp and free money.  We are clearly privileged just to be at the same table to be able to watch and it would be selfish to expect some form of equal participation and reward for our PC's.  If I was coughing before at the stuff caught in my craw I'm now quietly putting my dice back in my bag and gathering my things.  If  the DM can do some fast talking I suppose I might be persuaded that watching one character - indeed, one PLAYER - getting his money for nothing and his chicks for free actually is an acceptible arrangement for us all warrants giving the game some additional time to prove out.  Otherwise, I'm thanking everyone for their time and politely explaining that I think the arrangements at this table are quite absurd and I can see no good coming from them.  If all and sundry care to discuss how I think this is all very bogus I'll be happy to put in a bit more time at that, but if I have to fight the DM to see that this is all in Bad Form I'll just go find another game.

I on the other hand as a rogue have had to scrounge up wealth by forgery, theft, and helping other players unlock chests (aka actually working for my gold), but even at this the pirate doesn't help me but insists that he get a share of the spoils. This false sense of entitlement was practically encouraged by the DM, I feel, and is fast driving a wedge between other players (one wants to kill him off).

If I am somehow inexplicably STILL THERE at the table participating then the pirate player would be duly informed both in-character and out-of-character, that no, his PC is NOT entititled to a share of my characters personal earnings in addition to his share of the party's earnings as a group.  Just being on his ship doesn't make me his slave, indentured servant, or employee whose every GP of income is obtained and retained only at HIS benificent forbearance.  And then I'd repeat this to the DM and verify that I am quite clearly understood, that I am participating in this game primarily for my own entertainment and that I have a reasonable expectation of being a full and equally appreciated and rewarded member of a PARTY of player characters.  I am not in it to enrich and entertain another PC and especially not that PC's player at the expense of me and mine, and at that point I'd be appreciative that the DM acknowledge this, inform the player in question appropriately, and make the necessary corrections before we proceed.

If this is really what's going on in this game then dude, you're a doormat for this little duo of DM and teachers pet.  It REALLY stinks like you and probably the other players are there in large part for this pirate to wipe his feet on as he uses you to catapult himself to greater fame and riches than your PC's will ever hope to see - except as the sidekicks for the Dread Pirate Roberts here.

1. Any tips on how I can present how I feel to the DM? Right now, it seems a little unfair.

It seems a LOT unfair to me.  I don't like to rush too headlong to judgement but your description of the sorts of things taking place here just pushes my buttons.  Waste not a moment, but calmly explain to the DM that this doesn't just SEEM unfair - it is.  The player in question is being given a free ride and is even demanding more.  Okay, maayybee there's a chance that the demand of part of your PC's earnings is intended as an in-character thing, but from my monitor it doesn't read that way.

If the ship that the PC's are on defeats another ship but there is no boarding that STILL doesn't mean that only the captain or owner gets xp for the win.  Everyone who mans that ship and participates in its maneuvers and firing whatever weapons it has is rightfully earning a fair share of xp for the encounter.  Or is the Pirate PC actually manning the sails, steering the rudder, firing all the weapons, and giving himself all the necessary commands for himself to carry out by himself alone?

For a rogue I'm actually a team player but I don't feel like I am being treated as fairly as that one specific player, he's becoming way over powered.

You're not being treated fairly, and how could Mr. Pirate NOT be advancing leaps ahead of everyone else?  The DM needs to acknowledge the problem and immediately effect changes to end the practice.  The Pirate player needs to accept that he's had enough of a free lunch and better not start grumbling if others at the table now get to have equal pieces of the pie.

2. With my situation involving the wizard

I'd say with the situation at your table being what it is, I'd not set myself up for such a long fall.  If it were ME, I'd just let this one go.  But then I'm an aggressive gambler - Mr. Vegas.  

It is NEVER a good idea to attempt to fix meta-game problems with in-game player-versus-player one-upsmanship.  If the people we're talking about know how you feel then they're unforgivably obnoxious enough not to care and they are not worth another moment of your time.  If they don't know how you feel then don't expect them to suddenly develop ESP and reverse course saying, "Oh my goodness!  We DID treat you so unfairly.  Do forgive us and of course your attempts to hurt my character and steal from him and plot his death are absolutely justified and I deserve every bit of it."  Really think THAT's gonna happen?

No.  You TELL them this a problem.  Explain WHY it is a problem.  Speak with the other players as well and my guess is you'll likely learn that they, too, think it's a problem and also want it corrected.  Maybe the best solution is to simply set this campaign aside and EVERYONE start over again with new characters.  Suggest that they read this:
home.earthlink.net/~duanevp/dnd/manifest...
and discuss adopting it or something like it as fair and enjoyable play for everyone.  Wrote it myself just for the purpose of avoiding this and other kinds of undesireable gaming situations.

No need to make accusations or get anyone bent out of shape.  Just state that this is a problem, why it's a problem, that it can be fixed if everyone is willing to fix it, and then you can all game together and be happy.  If they don't want to fix it, well then you get the interesting choice of whether you want to stay in the game under the same circumstances and just live with it, or you want to go find another game.

Old School: It ain't what you play - it's how you play it.

My 1E Project: http://home.earthlink.net/~duanevp/dnd/Building%20D&D/buildingdnd.htm

"Who says I can't?" "The man in the funny hat..."

Thank you for the reply, and I did end up addressing these issues with both the DM and the pirate. The pirate of course, didn't give me much of an answer but he has backed off mostly. I told him quite bluntly that what I steal or make for myself is just what it is, mine. I said I didn't mind sharing, but I do require either participation in acquiring the loot or the promise of a favor in the future. As money is a pretty reliable plot device in this campaign, it is something I tend to take fairly seriously.

I had considerably much more luck with my meeting with the DM this morning. Right now, the story is more centering around a mission that I and almost all the rest of the party are involved in. For me (I'm under contract from a character who's pretty much a demigod) it's a matter of life or death and I'd rather not bailout of the game, and to be honest those few problems set aside I'm having alot of fun. I addressed my concern to the DM and he is aware now. He is allowing us to take ranks in Profession Sailor so, the issue of sea battles shouldn't be much of a problem anymore. He was also nice enough to approve of my Shadar Kai cohort and she will be introduced tomorrow at the next session. As for the pirate, the DM has essentially come to the end of his freebies. He said the only reason he gave him the gold was because the ship belonged to a different captain and when the pirate finally searched his quarters that's what he found. He won't be getting anything like this again. Needless to say, I think most of the problems are going to be alleviated.
Good to hear.  Communication is a magical thing.

Old School: It ain't what you play - it's how you play it.

My 1E Project: http://home.earthlink.net/~duanevp/dnd/Building%20D&D/buildingdnd.htm

"Who says I can't?" "The man in the funny hat..."

Good to hear.  Communication is a magical thing.

Indeed eh?! Well I'm getting my shadar-kai spell thief assistant and things are looking up (she's an 11 out of 10 so keeping my fellow adventurers off her will be fun ) our DM straight up took my advice and tried to legitimately kill us last game. I managed to survive and we saved all the player characters who were bleeding out but damn it was fun!!! for the first time I was legitimately scared lol. it really is a good story and that's why i keep playing but it also seems that the DM is open to constructive criticism, this is why I bother to play lol.
Sign In to post comments