Any 5th man Bard/Warlord generalist-Leader builds?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'd like to make a general support Leader that combines the best of Bard and Warlord.  From my understanding, a Warlord can dump Str if they are a Lazylord and pump Cha and Int, which are the key stats for some Bards, so it seems like the stats are in line.

I was wondering if anyone had looked into such a build already and whether or not it is worthwhile, or if it would be better to just go straight Bard or Warlord. 
Sig
Yes, I killed your BBEG with his own lair:
Setting: Tomb with a perilous bridge and cliff 100 feet above a lava pit. Mummy pops out of his sarcophagus, initiative: Felix, Half-Elf Artificer: Twin Strike with crossbow. Trump (ala Donald), Eladrin Warlord: Charges mummy with Opening Shove, pushing off the cliff. Mummy fails saving throw, and falls into pit. Sanshiro (ala Japanese "superhero" Segata), Minotaur Barbarian: Strength check to lift sarcophagus and carry to cliff. Free action, drop sarcophagus into square above mummy. Sarcophagus drops on mummy, shoving him further down into lava. Mummy: proceeds to make a series of horrible athletics checks to swim and climb cliff. Dies a horrible death with lava permeating every orifice. Entire Party: Watches on in delight, faces alit with the glow of lava and flaming undead.
Original CharOpper
I soap myself up, and turn up the hot water in the shower, so my sweat mixes with the soap, slickening my skin: +5 to grapple I use my own legs as a shield since only upper-body hits matter: +5 defense I use my teammates bodies to construct a vehicle for myself, and dual-wield their weapons because as long as I win, we all win: +10 attack, +10 defense I completely ignore the enemy, their attacks, the devastating damage they are dealing to me and my team, and strike directly for their base, completely obliterating them, their way of life, and any chance they had at survival as a species: WIN Ender: The Original CharOpper and Power Gamer.
I think there are one or two floating around, but I couldn't put my finger on them.  It's reasonably straightforward to build, though.

The other interesting way to go might be CHA/WIS/Daring Blade, taking advantage of the fact that the ranged-weapon powers for both classes use WIS riders.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
This is two years old but will have the basis of what you need.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Wouldnt he do better with war chanter over infernal eye? Cha/con bard|lazylord would be easy enough.

then you have avenues to boost party initiative, accuracy, damage, and can hand out movement and do some enabling with plenty of healing out of the box.
CON doesn't do much for the Warlord half, is the problem.  War Chanter is super-awesome, though, so it might not matter.

Infernal Eye is nice for the superb init buffing.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Actually, after bouncing around on ideas and looking at stuff, I decided on an Artificer instead.  My choice of PP will be frowned upon (Self-Forged), but other than that, I plan for it to be an as-highly-optimized-as-possible Artificer.  I'm finding the current Artificer handbook a little confusing though.  I'll start a separate thread for the new character concept now that I have it nailed down though, since this thread title is no longer applicable.
Sig
Setting: Tomb with a perilous bridge and cliff 100 feet above a lava pit. Mummy pops out of his sarcophagus, initiative: Felix, Half-Elf Artificer: Twin Strike with crossbow. Trump (ala Donald), Eladrin Warlord: Charges mummy with Opening Shove, pushing off the cliff. Mummy fails saving throw, and falls into pit. Sanshiro (ala Japanese "superhero" Segata), Minotaur Barbarian: Strength check to lift sarcophagus and carry to cliff. Free action, drop sarcophagus into square above mummy. Sarcophagus drops on mummy, shoving him further down into lava. Mummy: proceeds to make a series of horrible athletics checks to swim and climb cliff. Dies a horrible death with lava permeating every orifice. Entire Party: Watches on in delight, faces alit with the glow of lava and flaming undead.
Original CharOpper
I soap myself up, and turn up the hot water in the shower, so my sweat mixes with the soap, slickening my skin: +5 to grapple I use my own legs as a shield since only upper-body hits matter: +5 defense I use my teammates bodies to construct a vehicle for myself, and dual-wield their weapons because as long as I win, we all win: +10 attack, +10 defense I completely ignore the enemy, their attacks, the devastating damage they are dealing to me and my team, and strike directly for their base, completely obliterating them, their way of life, and any chance they had at survival as a species: WIN Ender: The Original CharOpper and Power Gamer.
Self-forged is truly awful for an artificer, mechanically. I strongly recommend selecting something else and working with your DM to refluff to capture the flavor of the PP. I've started a brief discussion about this in the Artificer handbook over the last few days, wherein a few people have offered advice on how to go about doing so. I'd love to see additional ideas should you go that route....
Yeah, I've fallen away from the entire character concept, unfortunately.  When builds start getting too complicated, I tend to suffer from ADHD with them.  I like it when you get an idea for a build and all the pieces are there that just fall right into place.  Not necessarily an awesome totally OPed build, but at least a usable one.

Self-forged was my choice because I wanted to combine the Warforged ability to take a 10 with all the easy bonuses to DSTs Humans can get.  I was planning to build a character around an EDs capstone feature, but we're going to be starting at 5th and there's a high probability we won't be making it very far in levels, so it would just be a waste.

Thanks for everyones suggestions though.  Perhaps they will serve as ideas for others looking for similar builds. 
Sig
Original CharOpper
Surely, there's a "Chordswitch" or something, right? (Ah. There is, but it's a Bard|Ardent like Fuel.)

@thespaceinvader: Daring Blade's F11 only changes martial melee attacks to CHA-based, and IMO it's more of a defendery PP than a leadery one anyway.

My suggestion for a Bard|Warlord would be to go with STR/CHA and Warchanter. Haven't tried to make one in a while, so I don't have any advice beyond that.
Surely, there's a "Chordswitch" or something, right? (Ah. There is, but it's a Bard|Ardent like Fuel.)

@thespaceinvader: Daring Blade's F11 only changes martial melee attacks to CHA-based, and IMO it's more of a defendery PP than a leadery one anyway.

My suggestion for a Bard|Warlord would be to go with STR/CHA and Warchanter. Haven't tried to make one in a while, so I don't have any advice beyond that.

Boo, it sounded good.

I've been desperately trying to get a pure-CHA Bard|Bravelord going using Harlequin Style with Daring Blade for silly defences, but it's tough going to make it worth using Daring Blade instead of just going lazy and taking something better, like Infernal Eye or the double-Presence PP whose name I can never remember.

If you're going Bard|Warlord War Chanter  then you ought to be pumping Con at every opportunity, so you're better off going Con/Cha than Str/Cha. 

I dunno why OP would shy away from this, it's exactly what he's looking for.  It doesn't get much simpler.  Combat Commander boosts party initiative by your Cha.  Take Sidhe Lord and War Chanter and you'll be giving your party +Con to hit/dmg for a full round and handing out a shift+MBA (Victorious Smite) and a standard action (Sidhe Bargain) with your first turn every combat, and you can follow that up the next turn with a Hail of Steel or a DftS.  Every encounter! 

If that doesn't turn every fight on it's head from the get-go you'll still have tons of easy enabling available (especially if some are willing to take Agile Opportunist) and between Mantle of Unity, Virtue of Valor, and your two /enc heals you will keep your party standing.  You'll have your pick of a number of good movement enablers too.

It's a very simple, VERY solid 5th man Bard|Warlord.

It does MC into Warlord at least

Basically gets the major capabilities online at 11th(Warchanter+Magic Weapon as at-will) and then 16th goes crazy(should be spending 2 APs in most combats)
So, probably nobody cares anymore, but here's a thing I threw together (didn't fill out the items) that sort of fits the OP's needs for a Bard|Warlord. It has sort of a Bravura flavour, where it wants to get in somebody's face and take a hit to combo Vengence is Mine with Dimensional Step to get a triple beat down outside of everybody's normal turn, but it's got some of the normal enabling stuff as well. I went with a Dragonborn, so there's no Sidhe Lord to really max out War Chanter, but yeah. Like I said, I just threw it together kind of quickly to give the OP something to think about.

Show
level 16
Dragonborn, Bard|Warlord, War Chanter
Hybrid Bard: Hybrid Bard Will
Warlord Leadership: Combat Leader (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlord: Hybrid Warlord Fortitude
Hybrid Talent: Bardic Virtue
Bardic Virtue: Virtue of Valor
Dragonborn Racial Power: Dragonfear
Background: Chessenta (Chessenta Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 22, Con 14, Dex 11, Int 12, Wis 9, Cha 22.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 11, Wis 8, Cha 16.

AC: 26 Fort: 27 Reflex: 22 Will: 27
HP: 101 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 27

TRAINED SKILLS
Intimidate +21, Diplomacy +19, Athletics +19, Insight +12

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +9, Arcana +10, Bluff +15, Dungeoneering +8, Endurance +11, Heal +8, History +12, Nature +8, Perception +8, Religion +10, Stealth +9, Streetwise +15, Thievery +9

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Battle Song Expertise
Level 4: Expert Combat Leader
Level 6: Harlequin Style
Level 8: Armor Proficiency: Scale
Level 10: Improved Initiative
Level 11: Combat Commander
Level 12: Dragon's Terror
Level 14: Improved Defenses
Level 16: Majestic Rescue

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Brash Assault
Hybrid at-will 1: Staggering Note
Hybrid encounter 1: Vengeance is Mine
Hybrid daily 1: Arrow of Warning
Hybrid utility 2: Knight's Move
Hybrid encounter 3: Rhyme of the Blood-Seeking Blade
Hybrid daily 5: Stand the Fallen
Hybrid utility 6: Revitalizing Incantation
Hybrid encounter 7: Prescient Warning
Hybrid daily 9: Warlord's Recovery
Hybrid utility 10: Mantle of Unity
Hybrid encounter 13: Dimensional Step (replaces Prescient Warning)
Hybrid daily 15: War Master's Assault (replaces Stand the Fallen)
Hybrid utility 16: Insightful Riposte

ITEMS
Scale Armor, Light Shield, Dagger

Not bad, but I think it might be better off as Half-Elf, going Con/Cha.  With Con maxed you're getting the most out of War Chanter and your Virtue of Valor, and you're a bit tougher as an added bonus.  You lack a basic attack, but you can cover that with Melee training and/or Dilettante (but Magic Weapon would be nice to have, also).

EDIT: Plus you can then take Sidhe Lord, getting even more mileage out of War Chanter.
Here's the one I made recently: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/29739099/Warth,_the_Demanding_General?post_num=6#528576597

There are many versions floating around. I am, of course, partial to my own as the "best" one, but I'm sure that could be argued.