Teferi's veil

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am pretty clear on the phasing rules, i think, but i saw Teferi's Veil and wanted to be clear on how exactly the game would go with it out.....I attack, my creature phase out, i pass the turn, my creatures are back? do they phase in untapped? thats the only real point i can see to the card
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
The creature phases in in your untap step, not the next untap step. Phased in/out is a status just like tapped/untapped (flipped/unflipped and face up/down are the other two). Changing the phased status will not change any other status. And most importantly, phasing in/out will not make the creature enter/leave the battlefield.

The best use for the card I can think of now is to be able to attack with phasing creatures every turn instead of just every second turn. Since they always phase in in your untap step and never get a chance to phase out at that time.

I started up my next community draft in the limited forums. This time around the format is Zendikar/Worldwake/Rise of the Eldrazi. So if you like to draft, come by and share your thoughts.

CD2: General

My community draft experiment with DTK/DTK/FRF is concluded now. If you want to, you can check it out and maybe build some decks from the pools. I've already build my own take on that.

http://community.wizards.com/forum/limited-sealed-and-draft/threads/4206961

Once again aced the Rules Advisor test (Feb 2015). (I still make mistakes now and then, but who doesn't.)

"Simple questions" usually need rather complex answers, while complex questions often come down to no more than a simple "yes" or "no".

When a permanent phases out, it phases back in at the beginning of your next turn, before you untap:

502. Untap Step

502.1. First, all phased-in permanents with phasing that the active player controls phase out, and all
phased-out permanents that the active player controlled when they phased out phase in. This all
happens simultaneously. This turn-based action doesn’t use the stack. See rule 702.24, “Phasing."

The creatures will phase in tapped, but since this happens before untapping, your creatures will end up untapped almost immediately afterwards anyway. 

Additional rules support:

702.24d The phasing event doesn’t actually cause a permanent to change zones or control, even 
though it’s treated as though it’s not on the battlefield and not under its controller’s control 
while it’s phased out. Zone-change triggers don’t trigger when a permanent phases in or out. 
Counters remain on a permanent while it’s phased out. Effects that check a phased-in 
permanent’s history won’t treat the phasing event as having caused the permanent to leave or 
enter the battlefield or its controller’s control.

The rules Q&A section is hardly the place to talk about the "point" of a card.  But, sure, I'll bite.  Teferi's Veil essentially keeps the creatures that you attacked with safe during your opponent's turn -- with the obvious drawback that you won't be able to block with them, either.  Not that you can block with tapped creatures anyway, but your creatures with vigilance would've been able to block, if the Veil didn't phase them out.

I attack, my creature phase out, i pass the turn, my creatures are back?

No, only the permanents of the player whose turn it is phase in. You'll have to wait until your turn for it to phase in.
702.24a Phasing is a static ability that modifies the rules of the untap step. During each player’s untap step, before the active player untaps his or her permanents, all phased-in permanents with phasing that player controls “phase out.” Simultaneously, all phased-out permanents that had phased out under that player’s control “phase in.”

do they phase in untapped?

No, but since it phases in at the very start of your Untap Step, you get to untap it immediately afterwards.

oh wow.....so i think me and everyone i play with has been doing it wrong for years....i was under the impression that on every turn all phasing happens, but only the things you control phase in and out?
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
well yes, that is sorta true
on each turn if there are permanents with phasing our phased out permanents they phase in or out if the AP controls them

if there is nothing to phase, nothing happens, but in theory there is a "phasing step"
proud member of the 2011 community team
i understand now, thank you all
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
The best use for the card I can think of now is to be able to attack with phasing creatures every turn instead of just every second turn. Since they always phase in in your untap step and never get a chance to phase out at that time.

Oh, there's more than that here.  As Kenji suggested, a major use is simply to keep your creatures safely out of main-phase-harm's way during your opponent's turn - Wrath of God, Control Magic, Fireball, what have you.  Some of the same benefit Obzedat, Ghost Council has.

But it's also useful to guard your creatures against your own post-combat-phase mass shennanigans.  Like if you plan to play a Wrath of God / Supreme Verdict of your own.  All your creatures are safely tucked away while every other creature gets destroyed.
Sign In to post comments