Best way to make money off mtg?

47 posts / 0 new
Last post
Uhh, yea... 
I love playing card games, and am making money off yugioh by opening tins, your guarenteed to make money off the promos and bonus moneys from the 5 booster packs!
What can i do to make money off magic?
Should i buy a fatpack?
Should i buy deck builders toolkit, sell some of the cards and open the packs and sell of the rest?
Should i buy my self a intro deck, keep the deck to play for fun with my firends and maybe sell a money card and open the packs and hope for the best?
Please reply ;) 

Guys, im not hoping to make a living off it, just some extra bucks :/
You a fan of music? Check my music out at https://soundcloud.com/kajamaz I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Win GPs, SCG Opens, get on the PT.

Other than that, grinding drafts IRL can be a successful way to play magic without spending anything. 
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
Win GPs, SCG Opens, get on the PT.

Other than that, grinding drafts IRL can be a successful way to play magic without spending anything. 

I have no idea wat you just said.... 
You a fan of music? Check my music out at https://soundcloud.com/kajamaz I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Well, first, Intro packs will do nothing for you. Most of the current ones can be bought as singles for less than the retail of the intro in the first place. Best hope there is opening something cool in the boosters. So, if you're REALLY lucky, maybe $20 off the intro, IF both rares in the boosters are $10 cards.

There's probably not going to be anything of value in the deckbuilders toolkit either. Not even probably. Toolkit will be a MASSIVE loss profit wise.

Fatpack is the same as the intro pack, only you have more boosters.

Go to any of the popular retail sites and look at the buy lists. That's what you're up against. Gatecrash, for example, has only about 7 cards that'll net you more than $10 a pop. I saw 2 in RtR in the 2 buylists I just pulled up.

Probably the best idea for making some quick cash of MTG cards is paying attn to eBay collection sales. Even then, you have to very specific about what you buy, and for how much. Buy into only what collections are cataloged, where you KNOW EXACTLY what you are getting. Research how much you can sell those cards for and bid accordingly, not forgetting to factor in S&H costs. NEVER buy a collection if the contents aren't specifically listed. If a collection only has a partial listing of it's contents, factor only those cards in when deciding how much you can make with the cards, and whether it's worth buying. Don't always assume that if it's in the picture, you'll get it in the auction.

Really depends on how much money you wanna make. I can tell you from personal experience that if you wanna more than $40 or 50 bucks a week, you have to move a TREMENDOUS volume of cards. There's always chance of getting lucky, but 90% of the time, it's rough.
Best way to make money off MTG is to work for WotC or Hasbro.
Edit: Or SCG, CFB or TCGPlayer.
Nah, I'm thinking time machine. That'd be a surefirr way to make a killing.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.
If there wore an easy way to make money, everyone would do it, and then it wouldn't make money anymore.

Sorry bro, but Adam Smith says no. 

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
If you're in the states and you happen to holiday in England, then buy booser boxes and bring them over here. Prices are usually the same in £ as they are in $ - if not higher - so with a good exchange rate you could make some money
If you can get things like Commander's Arsenal and the From the Vault series at RRP and then flip them online you can make a lot of money. You can also make money by buying Commander decks and Duel Decks (and sometimes Event Decks) and then breaking them up and selling the chase cards inside individually. You can make money by speculating, and buying cards when they are cheap and selling them when/if the price goes up (Phantasmal Image, Stromkirk Noble, Boros Reckoner etc).

~ Tim 
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
1. Don't buy Magic cards
2. Spend the money you saved on literally anything else 
1. Don't buy Magic cards

Pretty much. If you want to make money, invest that money. Investing in a hobby really only works if you are a dealer and have no desire to collect.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Nobody has yet mentioned pretty much the only way to make a profit at the Magics off of product opening: You go through the steps (Don't know what they are, sorry) to be able to buy boxes direct from Wizards. Then you buy lots of boxes for each set, create your own website, and carefully track market prices in order to make sure you stay competitive at all times.

This will take a lot of time and is by no means a guaranteed success, but it's pretty much the only way to make money off of opening product. 
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
I don't think you'll be able to buy from WotC. In the thread here about opening a store, there's a link to WotC's sight where it's stated that they and their authorized dealers deal ONLY with brick and mortar stores. Even the guys on eBay that aren't store-based have to come up with an alternative. I guess making a deal with another store to buy the product for you. Maybe a small Mom and Pop shop, just so they can LOOK like they have the volume to get benefits from WotC?
Be extremely good at evaluating card power and buy/trade for hidden gems on set release.
You're probably not going to be able to do this though.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

buy cards, sell cards at the hight, dont play magic
I miss the old days.
Other than WotC and the small number of ProTOs the people that make the most off magic are the dealers, theives, and high volume traders.

Dealers go to GPs to buy thousands of dollars worth of cards for crazy cheap. I've bought for a store before. It is pretty crazy what offers people will say yes to when they are getting cash back.

Theives go to GPs to steal thousands of dollars worth of unattended cards. I won't go into much detail, but I been at plenty of GPs and GenCons where the list of reported stolen cards totaled in the tens of thousands.

Traders go to GPs because a lot of people aren't good at small item numbers. Trade a bunch of high velocity standard cards in a 2 and out at 4. Keep doing this consistently all day and you can make a lot. Some full time traders I've talked to have told me they make about 40-60k a year just trading.

1st place prize at a Grand Prix is 3,500 USD. That sounds like a lot, but only one person wins that. 17th-32nd is 400.
Level 2 Magic Judge Lite a man a fire, warm him for a day. Light a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
theives

Thats why I only evver take just my deck and a pocket of dice with me.

I would never take a pile of cards to a big event just to have them stollen by some tool with no life.

I miss the old days.
So, I think the key things to take away are:

Step 1-Don't play Magic.
Step 2-Steal cards from people that do play and sell your loot at high volume.
Step 3-Profit.
IMAGE(http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/225/8/9/bloodgift_demon_sig_banner_by_voidelemental-d46gjhm.jpg)
It's not guaranteed, but buying a booster box as early as possible for a new set, then immediately selling every single card, should net you a profit of a few dollars, more if you're really lucky. Being good at trading helps too.

So, I think the key things to take away are:

Step 1-Don't play Magic.
Step 2-Steal cards from people that do play and sell your loot at high volume.
Step 3-Profit.

^
1. Don't buy Magic cards

Pretty much. If you want to make money, invest that money. Investing in a hobby really only works if you are a dealer and have no desire to collect.

This one: either play or sell cards, you can't do both. A player is too emotionally attached to the game to make a dime. To a dealer, the cards might as well be bales of hay.

Please check out my Blog:

Magic the Gathering Adventures Blog

http://mtgadventures.blogspot.com/

Please check out my YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/rubiera22/featured

Uhh... im fine, lol, i sell yugioh cards and play the game lol!
I wanna do the same with magic... no true methods? ;( 
I am Blue/White
I don't think you'll be able to buy from WotC. In the thread here about opening a store, there's a link to WotC's sight where it's stated that they and their authorized dealers deal ONLY with brick and mortar stores. Even the guys on eBay that aren't store-based have to come up with an alternative. I guess making a deal with another store to buy the product for you. Maybe a small Mom and Pop shop, just so they can LOOK like they have the volume to get benefits from WotC?

Yea, you need an actual brick and mortor store. WOTC will not sell wholesale to anyone that only sells online; to sell online it must be an extension of your real world store, and they do check.

Also the volume of wholesale product is limited per store, so even trying to make a deal with an already existing store is not likely to happen UNLESS you find one that is not already selling online and you offer to expand their business for them. Even than, selling online MTG is already a fairly cluttered marketplace and it's really only going to be a side business.

Even for brick and mortar stores, MTG is typically not their only revenue stream. Most stores have to at least keep FNM and regular tournament schedules to keep players coming back (making a bit off the tournaments) and even than the typical LGS is not MTG exclusive, 99% of MTG stores include other revenue streams (at the very least either comics or a variety of other games)

1. Don't buy Magic cards

This one: either play or sell cards, you can't do both. A player is too emotionally attached to the game to make a dime. To a dealer, the cards might as well be bales of hay.

That's not always true. I know at least two dealers who are deep into the hobby as players as well. Granted they go through and open tons for sale, but at the end of the day they also have a massive pool of cards to pull their own personal sets from as well.

One of my friends who runs a comic and card shop (opened in the late '80s) got into magic back when I did in '93. He had no problem building his own personal collection while selling off the 10's of thousands of extra cards he opened and didn't need. He still plays and goes to grand prix's. He's also the only person I know that owns more than a dozen black lotus in his personal collection. (that was back in NJ)

The card store I live near now (in ND) is also run by a guy that plays, he also wins most of the local tournaments. Half the clientel are grand prix and pro tour veterans and his decks are as good or better than anything they use.

There are definately a few player dealers out there and they use their buying power to their advantage.
Uhh... im fine, lol, i sell yugioh cards and play the game lol!
I wanna do the same with magic... no true methods? ;( 

1. open a brick and mortar store (or partner with one)

2. run your own tournaments (wont be very often unless you also do #1)

3. buy a few boxes, keep what you need and sell off the rest (you wont make much but you may occasionally recoup some or all of your costs if you are careful)

4. shark ebay, buy the accidental cheap stuff and resell it for more (takes a while, wont garner high returns)

5. buy up walmart $20 and $40 "special" boxes like commander, archenemy, graveborn, versus, planeswalker, etc. Wait for a couple years for their value to go up (look at all the of the commander and vs boxes that used to be $20 at walmart are now $50 to $100 now that they are out of print). graveborn as example was $40 at walmart, theres one card alone in there worth $20 and the rest go for at least $1 a piece, though they would tke a long time to sell

Theres just no quick and easy way to turn it into a full time job if thats what you are looking for

Beyond that, you wont find any fast answers, at least not on open public boards. I mean I have an idea; but its something Im working on and its probably going to take a lot of work (and a lot of phone calls)... but than I dont even know why Im mentioning it since I wouldnt post the details in public yet anyway...
Running tournaments can be a fairly low risk way of making a small profit in MTG. I've had several friends run weekly or biweekly booster drafts to their financial gain. I find the key is the flexible scheduling/location options that can be leveraged over a local game store. I've seen events held at houses, on college campuses, in CiCi's, and plenty of other places. If you can locate a semi-isolated community (lets just say... your friends/classmates) and get them to buy in on a regular hosted MtG experience, you can sometimes make enough to play Magic yourself without incurring losses.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
I don't know about fat packs. It really matter on what people are after at the time. Right now is great, I spent 40 bucks and made 30 profit (which I then used to buy singles). With the big money cards of Gatechrash mainly being rare shock lands, you pull them fast, along with the easy to come by Reckoner. That's what I did to build my Orzhov, and begin fleshing our my other works in progress. 

Now to be fair, I do have a decent card shop (finally found one) near buy that keeps up on singles prices, which made it much easier on me. The old one I went to didn't, so it was easy to be ripped off (or get really good deals on older cards, for some reason anything before 10th they didn't keep up on).
I don't know about fat packs. It really matter on what people are after at the time. Right now is great, I spent 40 bucks and made 30 profit (which I then used to buy singles). With the big money cards of Gatechrash mainly being rare shock lands, you pull them fast, along with the easy to come by Reckoner. That's what I did to build my Orzhov, and begin fleshing our my other works in progress. 

Now to be fair, I do have a decent card shop (finally found one) near buy that keeps up on singles prices, which made it much easier on me. The old one I went to didn't, so it was easy to be ripped off (or get really good deals on older cards, for some reason anything before 10th they didn't keep up on).

Thank you, finally a reasonable answer...
So... i should buy a fat pack, open it? Hope for the best? and sell the cards?
How do you sell them? Ebay?

I am Blue/White

So... i should buy a fat pack, open it? Hope for the best? and sell the cards?
How do you sell them? Ebay?

If it worked that way, we'd all do it.
QED, it doesn't actually work that way.

Basically, you just walked up to a guy that won $50 on a $1 scratch-off ticket and concluded that you can make some easy cash by buying scratch off tickets....it doesn't actually work that way.

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...
Buy low

Sell High

Thats how Laughing    

There's a difference between "a reasonable answer" and "an answer I wanted to hear". In this case, the two are not compatible. In order to make even a marginal profit off of MtG, you have to be have one of two things:

1. The ability to buy in large enough quantities that you get a major discount and sell in large enough quantities to keep doing so at no loss. This is what stores do.

2. A substantial enough knowledge of card prices and how to find deals that you can buy and sell a relatively small number of cards at a major individual profit, rather than selling a large number of cards at a minor individual profit.

Honestly, neither of these are viable. The first option requires a large buy-in and contains a large risk, plus it will take a while for word to get around and for your enterprise to be profitable. And considering that you started playing a couple of weeks ago, the second option most definitely isn't viable. It also involves spending a lot of time being pedantic over card prices and selling them when they peak - part of which involves, for example, the time of day at which your eBay auction or whatever ends  - and it honestly isn't worth it in terms of time input compared to profit output.

There. That's a reasonable answer. As it was said, if there was an easy way to do it, we'd all be doing that. There's not. Just enjoy your cardboard moneysink and stop overthinking it.

It's really not; one person getting lucky in the booster pack lottery does not mean it's a viable way to make money.

I think Dr_Demento's suggestion of hosting tournaments is probably your only hope of turning a profit in the long run without going to absurd lengths. Buying a box and using it to host an 8-man draft (with appropriate buy-in) can indeed turn a small profit. The trick is to find a group of people willing to pay into such events on a consistent basis.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

I think the expected value of a Gatecrash booster pack might actually exceed the best retail price you can find on it. But even so, you would have to value your own time very low in order to want to make money this way.
Once you build up a decent collection, try trading for cards you think are undervalued. Then find a friend who's a sucker and will pay you almost as much for cards as they go for online. Once your cards go up in value, sell!

Or if you have several friends who like drafting, buy a booster box. If you find a box online for ~$90, then charge 7 other friends $15 each to draft from it, you can make a small profit. Put the unused packs from the box into the prize pool to make it worth their time.
I think you'll live a happier life finding friends who you want to be friends with rather than 'friends' you can skim and sucker to make a few bucks on the side.

You'll also live a happier life finding a hobby you enjoy for the sake of the hobby and then if you profit from it that's gravy, rather than choosing your hobby out of expectation of it being a profit avenue. 
unless you have the midas touch you probly are gonna find yourself buying more and more cards. after all if all you needed was lets say 500 dollars worth of cards to work with to trade/sell your way to haveing every card ever made for the rest of your life Then how would wizards of the coast keep making money if everyone had that kind of luck?

I'll state it again you probly are gonna find yourself buying more and more cards depending on how bad your addiction is or whatever sales pitch you are eating up hook line and sinker into paying for more cards for example "wow now you can pull shocklands from booster packs because we have reprinted them!"  
Best way to make money off mtg is to take a year off buying cards, and put the money that you saved into a term deposit at your bank.
get good at limited, that is about the "easiest" way to make a profit with Magic

simply opening boosters will not get you a profit, unless you buy in very large quantities with a seizable discount
proud member of the 2011 community team
I've removed content from this thread. Masking vulgar language is a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code of Conduct here: http://company.wizards.com/conduct

Please remember to keep your posts polite and refrain from vulgar language. 
I'm trying to do this, haven't been very successful due to lack of steady customers/bad matchups, but maybe it's something you can work with.

1. Buy/trade for a good deck you can pilot really well (you will eventually find yourself having dreams of playing this deck).
2. Win packs at FNM, valued in excess of what you paid for your entry. If you do this enough, you may eventually break even on your deck (for which you should have traded for, sharkily).

3. Sell packs WELL OUTSIDE THE STORE TO A DIFFERENT CUSTOMER BASE (so like school, church, community, etc) so that you aren't poaching LGS sales. Your LGS, with extremely rare exceptions, works on a razor thin margin and keeps the lights on and employees paid via the sales of the odd fellow who comes in every so often to buy a couple boosters of the newest expansion for his hilariously-outdated "casual" deck.

If you did these three steps correctly, congrats! You can play FNM for free, basically (or at least a minimal loss).
If you're a super-duper ultra-Spike and chose the right deck before it hyperinflated in value, you can take your stack to a few CFB, SCG or TCG opens or some GPs/PTQs and try your hand at the pro circuit. Be warned though, it is a GRUELING all-day event so eat/pack a nutritious breakfast/lunch/dinner, stay hydrated and keep a couple energy drinks (I recommend Monster Rehab) on hand for top 8. If you place in a CFB, SCG or TCG event, I believe the prize at least covers entry plus gas (assuming it's within reasonable driving distance).

Edit: Jesus Christ DO NOT open booster packs in hopes of pulling valuable things to pawn, it's a losing proposition. But if you become great at evaluating cards in a given meta, feel free to speculate on low-value cards, but be prepared to sell them again once they've peaked. It's pretty tricky to do and is really only practical for card shops and people who live and breathe the secondary market.
In general boosters yield little to no returns, almost half being full of pretty much trash. The last Gatecrash Fatpack i purchased had almost nothing in it, however having said that, my last purchase of 3x M13 boosters yielder 2x Thundermaw Hellkats and a Nicol Bolas which more than made up for it.
Sign In to post comments