Blasphemous Act and boros reckoner

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I friend told me alot of people are using this combo now and i'm curious if it works. 2 boros reckoner and use Blasphemous Act would you deal 26 damage to a player or 6? I'm woundering this because if I recall correctly lifelink you only gain life equal to damage done so a 3 power with lifelink hits a 1 toughness you only gain 1 life from the lifelink.....please correct me if i'm wrong about that
Creatures don't pull their punches, and neither does Blasphemous Act.

Just as a creature with lifelink will deal damage equal to its power even to a 1 toughness creature -- Blasphemous Act will deal its full 13 damage to creatures that have less than that, as nothing in the rules prevents a creature from having damage on it greater than its toughness.

So, with 2 Boros Reckoner under your control when Blasphemous Act resolves, you'll get 2 Reckoner triggers, for 13 damage each.  Of course, they only go on the stack after your Reckoners have died and gone to the graveyard, but that doesn't stop the abilities from resolving successfully at all.

Also, one of the Gatherer rulings for Boros Reckoner essentially answers this for you:

Boros Reckoner’s first ability will trigger even if it is dealt lethal damage. For example, if it blocks a 7/7 creature, its ability will trigger and Boros Reckoner will deal 7 damage to the target creature or player.



That ruling implies (correctly) that the Reckoner can and will take damage in amounts higher than its toughness of 3. 
2 boros reckoner and use Blasphemous Act would you deal 26 damage to a player or 6?

26
I'm woundering this because if I recall correctly lifelink you only gain life equal to damage done so a 3 power with lifelink hits a 1 toughness you only gain 1 life from the lifelink.....please correct me if i'm wrong about that

You will gain 3 life.
I'm woundering this because if I recall correctly lifelink you only gain life equal to damage done so a 3 power with lifelink hits a 1 toughness you only gain 1 life from the lifelink.....please correct me if i'm wrong about that


Yes, you are wrong. A creature with power 3 deals 3 combat damage, so if it has Lifelink then it's controller gains 3 life. It doesnt matter what the other creature's toughness is.

~ Tim 
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
What do Blasphemous Act and Boros Reckoner have to do with lifelink and 3-power-vs.-1-toughness?

Rules Advisor

What do Blasphemous Act and Boros Reckoner have to do with lifelink and 3-power-vs.-1-toughness?



they are taking more damage then thier toughness......and thanks for the answer/correction guys 

What do Blasphemous Act and Boros Reckoner have to do with lifelink and 3-power-vs.-1-toughness?



they are taking more damage then thier toughness......and thanks for the answer/correction guys 



Neither Blasphemous Act nor Boros Reckoner have lifelink, so that doesn't matter; and there isn't a third creature in your example that has 1 toughness that the Reckoner is dealing damage to.

Rules Advisor

What do Blasphemous Act and Boros Reckoner have to do with lifelink and 3-power-vs.-1-toughness?



they are taking more damage then thier toughness......and thanks for the answer/correction guys 



Neither Blasphemous Act nor Boros Reckoner have lifelink, so that doesn't matter; and there isn't a third creature in your example that has 1 toughness that the Reckoner is dealing damage to.


He thought that a 3 power lifelinker only deals 1 damage to a 1 toughness blocker (and that you only gain 1 life, not 3). This then lead him to believe that a 3 toughness Reckoner only takes 3 damage from a Blasphemous Act (and that you only get to reflect 3 damage from the Reckoner, not 13).

Its a perfectly logical conclusion, just based on a faulty premise.

~ Tim   

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Sign In to post comments