The steam experience

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
I know all of these things have been mentioned before, but I'd love to hear from @Wizards_Sean if there are any plans to improve the steam game experience. I just spent about 3 hours playing and I saw:

• Trying to join a game you get the message 'can not join because it's no longer available' (paraphrased) even though the same game still shows in the available game list. This happens over and over again.

• Sometimes this turns into the dreaded 'your request to join is pendimg'. That means a game restart in order to fix it.

• Game restart (see above) is dreadfully slow.

• Sometimes at the end of a game, my opponent is back in the lobby while I'm still in the game with my opponent seemingly looking at the damage assessment. This has happened to me as well (i.e. I'm in the lobby and my oponent is still waiting in the game).

• There are times that the in game chat is unusable due to dropouts in the chat window. I'll be typing 'that was a cute move' and the chat window may show 'thas utov'. The only way to type in that scenario is to type about a character every 2 seconds and make sure it actually shows up in the chat window.

It so happens that today I am not playing at home, so I know this is not a provider issue. As an aside I play with a bunch of friends and they all have the same experience at times. This has been going on since the original DotP. Surely steam/wizards is aware of this. It takes a lot away from the game. Any chance this will ever get fixed?
Regarding the provider issue - if I play on a sub-standard 8/1mbit aDSL, I get these issues.

When I play on the 1/1Gbit fibre connection, I get the same issue. (yes, 1000mbits up and down, directly peering with 2 different ISP's, BGP routed.)

It MUST be able to work better than that - I have 0 issues in a host of other games, Battlefield, OMD2,  portal 2, xcom, Sins of a solar empire, COD4, you name it.

/sigh.. 
I really hope Dotp 2014 will resolve this issues. I almost punched my screen today being served "game is not available" 3 times in a row followed by "your request to join is pending". Then after quick restart finished 1 game out of 4 due to timer freezing on someones main phase...
I highly doubt they will fix these issues for 2013. Please make 2014 more enjoyable experience Wizards. Pretty pretty please. 

/sigh x2... 
My all time favorite is joining 1vs1 game, only to end up in a room with 3 other guys, yelling at you for exiting.
Don't think these are exclusively Steam issues. On PS3 I often get the ''can not join because it is no longer available' message, even though the same game still shows in the available game list. I've also crashed a few times whilst trying to join a game, though less so than before. On PS3 we also get our own beloved "returned to the main menu as the connection with PSN was lost", even though you are still connected. That said though, these problems (apart from perhaps the first one) aren't particularly common, so perhaps the issues are worse on Steam.
Don't think these are exclusively Steam issues. On PS3 I often get the ''can not join because it is no longer available' message, even though the same game still shows in the available game list. I've also crashed a few times whilst trying to join a game, though less so than before. On PS3 we also get our own beloved "returned to the main menu as the connection with PSN was lost", even though you are still connected. That said though, these problems (apart from perhaps the first one) aren't particularly common, so perhaps the issues are worse on Steam.

I'm on PS3, and I noticed I can get out of crash while joining with the following trick.  The moment I start joining a game, and it takes too long, I immediately start holding PS button, until I get a black screen, and then I am able to return to Main Menu in the game.  If you wait to long before pressing PS butotn you have to reboot the whole system.
My all time favorite is joining 1vs1 game, only to end up in a room with 3 other guys, yelling at you for exiting.

Yeah, I forgot about that one, though I can't say I've seen that on the 2013 version yet.
Regarding the provider issue - if I play on a sub-standard 8/1mbit aDSL, I get these issues.

When I play on the 1/1Gbit fibre connection, I get the same issue. (yes, 1000mbits up and down, directly peering with 2 different ISP's, BGP routed.)

It MUST be able to work better than that - I have 0 issues in a host of other games, Battlefield, OMD2,  portal 2, xcom, Sins of a solar empire, COD4, you name it.

/sigh.. 

Yup. I get the impression it's based on who hosts the game and the connection between the two systems. That would make some sense if they're doing some sort of UDP handover. Hoever, there must be a server component to all this, so the only one who really is in a position to fix this is stainless. Maybe they should hire some expertise from skype to fix this. They have certainly mastered that area.

Anyway, no sign from the powers that be (yet...).
This topic cannot be bumped enough.

These issues have existed for far too long and are unacceptable. Will they stop me buying 2014 if they're still there? No. However, for the general quality of the game and the online experience it should be Stainless' top priority to fix this coding or network issue or whatever it is.
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
I've been used to it for so long now I don't even notice it anymore. But yeah, when I first switched to PC from Xbox it was just shocking to see how much worse the matchmaking is. Not that it was amazing on Xbox, but on Steam I've had days where I had to restart the game like 3 times in a row to get a game.
Hi! I run a YouTube channel at YouTube.com/user/NemosChannel. I upload Duels of the Planeswalkers gameplay, deckbuilds, and even Tier List videos. It's the best place for strategy and silly humor. Drop by and see!

• There are times that the in game chat is unusable due to dropouts in the chat window. I'll be typing 'that was a cute move' and the chat window may show 'thas utov'. The only way to type in that scenario is to type about a character every 2 seconds and make sure it actually shows up in the chat window.

The only times I experienced this issue were when my video card was going out.  My framerate dropped so low I was having lag issues caused by my computer.  It would require I type about 1 letter a second in order for the game to recognize it.  Before my card starting going out and after I replaced my video card, I had no issues with the in game chat function in either DotP'12 or DotP'13.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

It's across all platforms.  I sometimes have to try 3-4 times to get a game on IPad.  I've given up on joining games on Xbox most times, and host them myself, as it takes longer to join and fail a few times than it does for someone to join one of my games.
I agree 100% that these networking issues need fixed.  I have been playing DotP since the original and these issues have been in the first game and are still in this one years later.  I really hope they fix this BS in 2014.  I also agree that this isn't a Steam problem as I have played DotP on PS3 and iPad and have had the same issues.  This is a DotP problem that has not been even remotely addressed in years.  I agree with Spoony, it won't stop me from buying and playing 2014...but this is getting stupid.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

I agree with Spoony, it won't stop me from buying and playing 2014

And that's exactly why these problems probably won't get fixed.  I'll also be there release day, spending my hard earned cash, bug fixes or not.

I don't know about that so much.  I know someone like me who loves MtG will not think twice because it is my only means to play MtG on an even level without spending tons of money.  For those who are new to MtG (which DotP is a target audience for as well) I don't think they would even bother after playing some crap buggy game.  I'm guessing their bad programming does not help with sales.  Perhaps it doesn't hurt a whole lot, but they I would guess there are those who say "forget this magic game, I can barely play it."  This is all speculation though.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

You did what I have done many times by not paying strict attention.
When you are cruising for a 1v1 custom and there aren't any game's active, then you back out and try again instead of pressing the square, it will send you looking for a 3ffa or a 4ffa if an open lobby exists but not a 1v1. If you stop and not just join right a way you'll see on the bottom all of the screen suddenly you are searching for one of those lobbies and not the default 1v1. So, when you press X you end up 3 or 4 instead of a 1.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

You did what I have done many times by not paying strict attention.
When you are cruising for a 1v1 custom and there aren't any game's active, then you back out and try again instead of pressing the square, it will send you looking for a 3ffa or a 4ffa if an open lobby exists but not a 1v1. If you stop and not just join right a way you'll see on the bottom all of the screen suddenly you are searching for one of those lobbies and not the default 1v1. So, when you press X you end up 3 or 4 instead of a 1.

As I said, I haven't seen this in DotP 2013, but I have in the older versions, and I play on steam, so no x button. And I did not what you indicate, i.e. I was in a 1v1 or 2hg lobby, but got in a different format game. It seemed it somehow lost track of where you were and just stuck you in the first quick game available. I don't know.

I have to say I'm disappointed that there's no sign of Wizards_Sean in this discussion so far. 
As far as I am able to tell (and I have been playing on Steam since the first DotP) there is no different lobby for 1v1 (technically "ffa"), 3ffa, and 4ffa.  It is a straight up "FFA Lobbby".  There is a separate lobby for 2hg and PC (or AE in 2012) but not for FFA.  So sometimes you join a game like any other game in the lobby but it is someone wanting to play 3-4 player ffa and not 1v1.  The same goes for the "quick match" option.  It just throws you in a game that is open in the same FFA lobby.  Now if this happened while trying to play 2hg that is just very strange.

So, yesterday, I played a bit again (I don't think I nearly play as much as some folks here, which probably means I'll be unceremoniously defeated in minddrifter's tournament). First two times I tried to join a 1v1, the dreaded 'your request to join is pending'. 3rd and 4th times, waiting and waiting and finally the message the game is no longer available. Than I played a number of enjoyable games with the same player after which I played with a family member (2HG) against the AI for a bit. She is in a different continent, and we had no problems starting or playing the games. As an aside, I also played this weekend with 3 other people (family and friend), planechase, 2HG and free for all and had no issues at all. It seems if you do private invites, things just work.

But given the lack of response by our friends at Wizards and Stainless, I'll just have to grin and bear it. That doesn't mean it doesn't stink.
So, yesterday, I played a bit again (I don't think I nearly play as much as some folks here, which probably means I'll be unceremoniously defeated in minddrifter's tournament). First two times I tried to join a 1v1, the dreaded 'your request to join is pending'. 3rd and 4th times, waiting and waiting and finally the message the game is no longer available. Than I played a number of enjoyable games with the same player after which I played with a family member (2HG) against the AI for a bit. She is in a different continent, and we had no problems starting or playing the games. As an aside, I also played this weekend with 3 other people (family and friend), planechase, 2HG and free for all and had no issues at all. It seems if you do private invites, things just work.

But given the lack of response by our friends at Wizards and Stainless, I'll just have to grin and bear it. That doesn't mean it doesn't stink.

Just wanted to let you guys know that the Duels team has been made aware of these complaints. I don't have anything right now to announce on their behalf, but the feedback is appreciated and I'm sorry you've ran into issues that lessened your enjoyment of the game. 

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Just wanted to let you guys know that the Duels team has been made aware of these complaints. I don't have anything right now to announce on their behalf, but the feedback is appreciated and I'm sorry you've ran into issues that lessened your enjoyment of the game. 

Sean, thanks for the response. I think that it is very important for a community manager to at least let the players know that their issues are being made aware of to the developers, so I appreciate that this is what you have done.

I understand that some bugs are harder to address/reproduce than others, but at least knowing that someone at the source is aware makes me more inclined to continue my use of future version of the product, since I'm always optimistic that developers have pride in their product and want it to be as bug free and joyful for their customers as possible. I hope that the team at stainless at least can find the source of the problem and suggest some work arounds. Especially the 'your request is pending' followed by a forced restart of the game is extremely off putting. I'm glad I stuck with it in the end since I did have a good time. Playing with someone in a different continent, with working interrupts, etc. is pretty amazing when you think about it.

Really? They didnt know about the issues till now? 
They've been aware for a while.
Sean is just popping in.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

I am being sarcastic devil. What Wizards_Sean said sounded like typical answer you would expect. Politicians speak the same way, don't they? 
I am being sarcastic devil. What Wizards_Sean said sounded like typical answer you would expect. Politicians speak the same way, don't they? 

Not really sure what you mean, Mad_WoodElemental. I'm guessing my post seemed overly formal to you or something. In any case I don't have anything to add to it right now. I just wanted to let everyone in the thread know they're not talking to a brick wall and that their complaints had been heard.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Lay off Sean people.  Not like he made the game, he's a forum moderator.

I just don't get my hopes high lads. There are lots of bugs that have been present for ages now and this forum had well documented most of them. Not much has been done towards fixing them. But it is all cool, I still enjoy the game very much.

Ramblings of old mad treefolk. 
I agree 100%.  The same issues have been here through mutliple versions of DotP starting with the original years ago.  That being said it changes nothing about Sean not being able to personally fix these problems.  I agree that it is frustrating that Stainless/Wizards seemingly doesn't care enough to spend the time and/or money to resolve these issues.

What's most frustrating to me is the same thing that frustrates me about most annual releases. They work so hard to make a new "hook" to reel in new sales that they stop worrying about polishing their game. I know that DotP is still new (relatively, compared to other annuals), and can probably build more upon their franchise by drawing in users than most others, but once every few iterations, companies need to sit back and polish their game. If they don't, they wind up with 84237894238 half working features, instead of a smaller number of perfectly functioning ones.

This is the problem that the NHL series (my other baby, if people haven't caught on by now) has, and it doesn't take more than a quick scan of the front page of their official forums to realize that they are really, truly alienating the fans of the series by doing this. And that's hockey....their game is the only way fans can get their "not real hockey" fix. There are other ways to get your MtG fix, and people might start exploring them if Stainless/Wizards don't stop and polish their game and get the current features working as near to flawless as possible before worrying about big new features.
I agree 100%.  The same issues have been here through multiple versions of DotP starting with the original years ago.  That being said it changes nothing about Sean not being able to personally fix these problems.  I agree that it is frustrating that Stainless/Wizards seemingly doesn't care enough to spend the time and/or money to resolve these issues.

I'm of two minds here. In my opinion the quality of 2013 was significantly higher than the previous releases. There are a few bugs left in the card behaviors, but overall to me it feels more solid. However, the whole lobby and match making experience is still putrid and it has been since the first version.

It would be real nice if we'd see some updates as to the priority updates/bug fixes that stainless are planning, but that clearly will never happen.
What's most frustrating to me is the same thing that frustrates me about most annual releases. They work so hard to make a new "hook" to reel in new sales that they stop worrying about polishing their game. I know that DotP is still new (relatively, compared to other annuals), and can probably build more upon their franchise by drawing in users than most others, but once every few iterations, companies need to sit back and polish their game. If they don't, they wind up with 84237894238 half working features, instead of a smaller number of perfectly functioning ones. 

Agreed as well. I'd pay for a new game with just some new decks, no changed game play (personally I care little for the archenemy, and planechase modes) but with significant improvement around the fringes, such as the lobby and overall quality of the network behavior. I play chess on the free chess server and their stuff is simply rock solid and the information you can get about matches, ratings, etc. is light years ahead of this (I do understand this is a different game, but my point is that improving that would significantly enhance the overall experience).
Sign In to post comments