Green Mill deck

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
While trying to build a cheap mill deck I thought: Why not build a green ramp deck that uses a few High CMC but low $$ mill cards that are pretty powerful? This is what I came up with, still looking for other high cmc mill or draw cards(that can target an oppnent) to add, any ideas? Any other suggested improvements are welcome.

why not: because ramp is vulnerable and mill slow

why not keep it monogreen with artifacts? sands of delirium and others...

ive always wanted to use nature's resurgence in mill
True What rawsugar said. Lets try to keep it mono green. I dont really like mana elves for mana ramp, so why not just Nature's Lores, Oracle of Mul Daya, Vernal Bloom, Search for Tomorrow and what not. Then have some early game defenses like Wall of Blossoms and what not. Then have some control spells, even though green doesent have a ton, you have Fog and Tanglesap which can help. After that, you can cut Worldspine Wurm, seems kind of contridicting, and probably cut Asceitism. And maybe Witchbane Orb for more protection. 

All in all, mill decks are slow and got to have control elements in it. Good Luck! 
Dude! Please Learn How to Autocard!
To Autocard individual cards type [c*]Into the Maw of Hell[/c*] and remove the asterisks to get Into the Maw of Hell or Stuffy Doll. Ta-Da! Autocarded! When Autocarding a deck type: Yay! Now people are actually look at your decklist properly and help you improve it! Excellent! You can tell that I love exclamation marks!
Basics to Building a Solid Deck
1. Try to run playsets of cards (meaning 4 of a card). This way your deck will win more consistently and you will draw your better cards more often. 2. Make sure to focus your deck on one single idea that can win you the game and make sure all the cards in your deck contribute to that idea. You have a limited number of cards so make sure all of them count. For example, your deck could be a Elf Tribal deck, an Aggro aggressive deck or maybe a Control deck. 3. Card advantage is very important. You need to understand that cards the draw you more cards are extremely helpful. The more cards you have in your hand the more options you have. With more options you have a greater chance at winning the game. 4. Removal is also quite important. Most decks more or less should run at least some removal. 5. Last but not least, make sure your deck is exactly 60 cards! Even 61 is not acceptable. Good luck in deck building!
Green goes in a mill deck for mana acceleration, so Worldspine, Feed the Pack, Ascetisism and Momentus Fall need to go. Recomend blockers like Fog Bank or Guard Gomazoa, or repeatable mill like Sands of Delirium (I know it conflicts with Increasing Confusion a bit but it's worth looking into). With all these permanents Spiral isn't going to net you much so swap out for anything appropriate.
If we are going to be splashing in blue why don't be just go mono-blue since its a lot more effective and will be better? Exactly. Casual decks are suppose to be unique, cool, different and fun to play with. Ths is gonna be challenge but thats the fun part. Stay mono-green. 
Dude! Please Learn How to Autocard!
To Autocard individual cards type [c*]Into the Maw of Hell[/c*] and remove the asterisks to get Into the Maw of Hell or Stuffy Doll. Ta-Da! Autocarded! When Autocarding a deck type: Yay! Now people are actually look at your decklist properly and help you improve it! Excellent! You can tell that I love exclamation marks!
Basics to Building a Solid Deck
1. Try to run playsets of cards (meaning 4 of a card). This way your deck will win more consistently and you will draw your better cards more often. 2. Make sure to focus your deck on one single idea that can win you the game and make sure all the cards in your deck contribute to that idea. You have a limited number of cards so make sure all of them count. For example, your deck could be a Elf Tribal deck, an Aggro aggressive deck or maybe a Control deck. 3. Card advantage is very important. You need to understand that cards the draw you more cards are extremely helpful. The more cards you have in your hand the more options you have. With more options you have a greater chance at winning the game. 4. Removal is also quite important. Most decks more or less should run at least some removal. 5. Last but not least, make sure your deck is exactly 60 cards! Even 61 is not acceptable. Good luck in deck building!
My favorite Mana ramp for green is Arbor Elf, Garruk Wildspeaker, Wild Growth, and Overgrowth. Easily broken but this combo can produce mass mana earlier than most things I have come across. It is not uncommon to have upwards of 10 mana available on turn 3, more is possible but not as probable.
if you go mono blue very easy to mill for example use the pili-pala and grand architect and sands of delirium combo and there are cards like tome scour and psychic spiral and jace's erasure

BTW if you dont understand the pili-pala, grand architect, sands of delirium combo, pay to turn pili-pala into a blue creature then pili pala to add mana to your mana pool then use pili-pala's ability to and add any colour then repeat process infinite amounts of times and you get infinite mana then use sands of delirium to and completely mill opponents deck this combo is good in multiplayer as well

Kinda defeats OP's desire to play a green mill deck. Blue mill is stupid easy. Maybe he just wants a challenge. Which it certainly is. Tongue Out
Sword of Body and Mind? Makes wolf tokens for the wolf deck, too.
IMAGE(http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/225/8/9/bloodgift_demon_sig_banner_by_voidelemental-d46gjhm.jpg)
have you considered Twelve-/Eight-Post/Urzatron alongside green's landfetch capabilities? again with Sands of Delirium as mill card. Mulch, Ancient Stirrings, Sylvan Scrying, Expedition Map for landfetch (stirrings looks for sands too).

Or use walls/defenders instead of elves to have some defense vs aggro (Vine Trellis, Wall of Roots, Axebane Guardian, Overgrown Battlement, Wall Of Blossoms)
it's 16-post now thanks to Thespian's Stage ;)

I like the Nature's Resurgence idea.  Might also be fun to use Timbermare and Mesmeric Orb.

IMO if you're going green mill, then you're NOT allowed to splash blue.  It's only a challenge if you can do it without resorting to using a color that's already good at it, which means no blue and no black. 
When I first started this deck I wanted it mono green but didn't know about the sands, so now it's mono green with a few changes.

Arbor Elf should replace Llanowar Elves. It comboes with Elvish Guidance and Wirewood Lodge to produce tons of mana. Other than that I like what you have other than Momentous Fall. If you are going for card draw then Harmonize. If you want life why not Wellwisher, or even Stream of Life would be a good target to dump all of that mana into. I don't quite understand why worldspine wurm is in this deck. He seems out of place, Elderscale Wurm would be better defensively, if your plan is to mill your opponent. Also some form of artifact or enchantment removal should be added to help keep your opponents from using their own Elixir of Immortality, or worse Wheel of Sun and Moon. Also I echo what the other guy said about the defender creatures used as mana ramp. They might not be as fast but they will protect you alot better. Pyroclasm or Slagstorm or Volcanic Fallout, the list goes on would completely destroy your plans.
Elven Warhounds with Nemesis Mask might be awful and too junky to include, but it would be pretty funny :v
Arbor Elf should replace Llanowar Elves. It comboes with Elvish Guidance and Wirewood Lodge to produce tons of mana. Other than that I like what you have other than Momentous Fall. If you are going for card draw then Harmonize. If you want life why not Wellwisher, or even Stream of Life would be a good target to dump all of that mana into. I don't quite understand why worldspine wurm is in this deck. He seems out of place, Elderscale Wurm would be better defensively, if your plan is to mill your opponent. Also some form of artifact or enchantment removal should be added to help keep your opponents from using their own Elixir of Immortality, or worse Wheel of Sun and Moon. Also I echo what the other guy said about the defender creatures used as mana ramp. They might not be as fast but they will protect you alot better. Pyroclasm or Slagstorm or Volcanic Fallout, the list goes on would completely destroy your plans.

The elder already combos with the Guidance & Lodge, and gives you inf. mana. The Fall lets you split the Wurm, which gives you 3 very solid defenders(not to mention 15 life and 15 cards). The Wurm itself was better when I still had Feed the Pack in here, but still serves it's purpose aswell as being an Alt. win condition on it's own. The good thing about this deck is even if they do use thier own vial you can just keep milling them. True this deck is weak to mass sweepers but every deck has weaknesses, you can't stop everything. That's actually one of the main reasons for the Elixir, to get everything back. Plus the druids get most stuff out of atleast damage sweep range. I wanted to add Strength of the Tajuru but can't find room.
Elven Warhounds with Nemesis Mask might be awful and too junky to include, but it would be pretty funny :v

An easier and even funnier route(at least I think so) is Taunting Elf+any venom effect(ex. Venom, Venomous Breath, Gaze of the Gorgon), I actually have a whole deck built around the idea.
It is true that every deck has a weakness, but limiting as many as possible is always a good thing. I agree with what you are saying about the Wurm, but withouth the Momentous Fall he is really a waste especially with a well timed Oblivion Ring. I just think running Elderscale Wurm and dropping the Momentous Fall all together would be a better plan. Harmonize can quickly draw you 3 cards, without anything else dependent on that. The Elderscale wurm serves as better protection than worldspine wurm, especially if he is not dealt with. Regardless of what choices you make for your deck they are yours, I am just giving my opinion for what it is worth. I can't see any logical argument for Llanowar Elves to be played over Arbor Elf in a deck with 16 forests and enchaments that enhance them. The potential for Arbor elves is much greatuer than llanowar elves and the downside is small. I like your build all in all I would just make these changes but to each is own. Good luck.
I wasn't trying to argue Llanowar over Arbor (in fact the Arbor IS better here), just pointing out that I already had a combo that produces a ton of mana. As for the Elderscale, I like the Worldspine better because he keeps coming back. Also I already have him where as I don't know how much the other would cost me, or even if the local shop has them.