Experimental Roleplaying: Character creation

78 posts / 0 new
Last post

READ ME

This thread is part of an experiment. The goal of the experiment is twofold. Most importantly: participants in this thread need to have fun. The second goal is to create a (semi-)usable RPG system that works with  Magic: The Gathering Flavor. 

The second goal will sometimes run contrary to the first goal. This is something we have to accept.

If you join this experiment, it means that you understand this and are willing to accomplish both goals.

During play, we will create rules. I'm going to compile these rules in a separate thread, so we have something to fall back on, but these rules can be changed and adapted when needed. Changing these rules should also be done when it benefits the overall game and not just an individual player.

That's all for now. 

Welcome to Yxoque's Experimental Roleplay.

I'm not going to be very formal, since very little has been formalized. A crazy idea I had while slacking at my internship has gotten enough response to actually work through it. 

This thread will be dedicated to creating the characters. 

The story will be set in Zendikar, and for reasons that should be obvious, the players will be adventurers.

If you can't think of anything, here are a couple of resources that can help you out.

I'm also going cap the number of players at 6. I know this sucks if you can't make it, but if things work out, there will be more of these roleplays. And you can always comment on the rules in the separate thread and make the game mechanics better. The first six people to reply to this thread will be allowed to join, so don't post unless you want to play (at least until six people have posted).

I'm also going to give a couple of guidelines (these aren't rules).

1. Only sapient races. No playing an Ox or Baloth.

2. Don't pick a character that will be overpowered by default (sorry people who want to play sphinxes).

3. Try to include the colors of your character, and don't have more than three colors (As a first mechanic question: how should we handle this? I feel like we should encourage playing one color, without disadvantaging two or three colors.)

4. Don't be a planeswalker (You can have a latent spark as a trait, if you want. Second mechanic question: Are we going to give bonuses to traits? If yes, how should we handle this?)

5. I'd appreciate it if you had a "class" (such as cleric, scout, berserker...)

6. For the rest, post everything you think is useful, both for your character as for this game.

7. Don't hesitate to comment on other people's character and don't feel bad if someone criticizes your character. If you can't criticize, you can't optimize.

Edit: I know this is all pretty  disorganized, and I apologize for that, but this is how a big part of this experiment is going to be. Sloppy and disorganized. I'm pretty confident that things will improve as we get further along.

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

Ok, I'll put my character in the spoiler below, as well as all pertinent information.

@Colors: One color is, of course, mandatory. Two doesn't seem like it would be too much of a problem, given the setting, but three colors outside of Ravnica or Alara seems like a stretch for any one person. That is an awful lot of specialization to get through in one lifetime ona  highly volatile death plane.

Show

Name: Thaerven Uzmadi 

Race: Merfolk
Class: Lullmage (Wizard, as a more broad term.)

Colors: Blue

Appearance and Personality: Thaerven is a small merfolk who talks softly and carries a big stick - for calming the roil, of course. Every good adventuring group needs someone to tell Zendikar to back off, and Thaerven finds himself in the unenviable position of being the one to do so. He specializes in soporific magic, although he is fond of illusions and frost magic on the side. He is not particularly bulky, and has regularly been outed as a poor swimmer. Which is to say, a poor swimmer among merfolk; we could still outswim any finless human. He tends to keep mostly to himself, until a topic is broached that piques his interest, and the you can barely shut him up. He's a scholar first, and his primary motivation for adventurin' is to find lost bits of knowledge.

I don't plan on making him a planeswalker. His primary method when engaging in combat is to freeze/distract/put to sleep his assailant, so that others may handle the situation more, uh... readily.

In. Drelkon, Red based Warrior.
In. Drelkon, Red based Warrior.

Oh my, my character is going to LOVE you. ;)
1. You may need to edit the OP there because the spoilers aren't working.

2. I'll claim a spot, but I've got to go in like 8 minutes, so I'll come back to creating the character later. TTFN.

Profile Picture taken with implied permission from Trildar.

KeeperofManyNames wrote:

Alright, new theory: these forums are an experiment in ultraminimalism. By Monday everything--yes everything--will be the color white, and typing any character will simply produce a solid rectangle of variable height and width.

Thanks for the sign-ups so far.

I've just had a random idea (I hope I keep having them in regards to this experiment): How would you feel about post spells (including enchantments and artifacts and such) your character would have access to? And how do you see this vis-a-vis power level? What should be the amount of magical power a "level 1" character has access to? How many spells? Which converted mana-cost? Do Wizards and Shamans get more and Warriors and Paladins less? How do you see that balance-wise?

I'm also going to bed soon (in about an hour), so I'll probably won't come back to this thread until tomorrow.

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

There have been a number of games in YMTC that involved card design as a way of establishing the success of in-game actions. I don't think we would want to make things that stict, buuuut we are working with a trading card game, it makes sense to encourage card creation somehow. I don't think it would be too difficult to have kind of a democratic process where players could add new card designs for their character and get them approved...

Not sure I'll be joining, but I'll definitely be watching, and adding suggestions if they're welcome.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Agghhh Dibs.

Edit: Ok, not that I have reserved a spot, I can breath and actually think about my character for a while and post him/her/it. 
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Not sure I'll be joining, but I'll definitely be watching, and adding suggestions if they're welcome.

Most certainly.

What sort of time requirements do you imagine this will take up on a day to day basis?
How often do you plan to update? 
Depending on your writing speed, I'd guess somewhere between ten and thirty minutes every 48 hours. I was planning on updating every 48 hours or so, since I need to plan ahead and maybe adapt to the story and I want to give myself a buffer. If it's going too fast or too slow, things can be modified.

I want to get in on this, I will post my charecter in a bit.
Can I be a black white surrakar?
erint-ell, surrakar herald.
Mostly white aligned.
I have came from the swamps of the surrakers homes to the outside world. I want to introduce the surrakar to the rest of zendikar (hence the white magic). But I am still in touch with my rutes. (hence the black)

Character type: I am going to do one of these two.

Summoner: I would summon surrakar usualy.  I would be tribal.

More likly: battle-mage. I cast quick spells, and fight hand to hand, to defeat my opponents.

Would a Giant be OP?

Nevermind, Zendikar has trolls.
I'm in.
I see this thread when it's three minutes old, click the links to do research come back, and all the slots are taken.

Damn.

In case people drop, I'll go as Plik, a clever goblin shaman who has journeyed far from her warren to acquire all manners of shinies and make a name for herself.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
An Idea to encorperate is that we use existing cards to fit very narrow bounderies. To make it harder, we could only use spells from zendikar, worldwake, and rise of the eldrazi.
Have all 6 slots been taken? If not I'd love to give this a whirl.

Rajesh, a white-alligned Kor cartographer and weaponeer!

Show

Name: Rajesh en-Ondu
Race: Kor
Class: Cartographer and Weaponeer (A soldier/scout trained to map out the ever-changing landscape of Zendikar and an aspiring weaponmaster. Currently master of none.)
Color: White
Appearance and Personality: Average height, build, and appearance for a kor, with the typical pale skin, dreadlocked hair, and white eyes. A curious kor, Rajesh en-Ondu was trained to fill a specific niche as all Kor are. He was selected to be an explorer and cartographer, tasked with mapping Zendikar. He was trained with machete and grappling hook like all Kor soldiers and seeks to master them both as well as other strange and exotic weapons. He has a solid grasp on orienteering by both sun and stars and is learned in a few different languages. Unlike many Kor, Rajesh is friendly and extroverted as well as inquisitive. This can sometimes lead to what seems like fearlessness but is actually ignorance or tunnel vision.

He is trained for combat and armed with machete and hook. He is adept at scaling mountains and navigating jungles. He currently knows no magic spells and relies on physical and mental prowess when in a bind.
It doesn't look like there are slots left, but if people drop out or anything, here's my concept:

Faren Windrider

WB Kor,  Son of a prominent kitefisher, but he prefers the underground himself, becoming a guide to wealthy explorers.  He brings any spoils he accumulates back to his ttribe, to help sustain them from their losses.  He won't steal anything that you claim, but if he sees something first, he isn't afraid to quietly stake his claim to it. 
Susan Summerson from the Hell breaks loose Flavorful Voting Game http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29076567/Hell_breaking_loose:_an_Avacyn_Restored_voting_game?pg=1 Click here for more Forum Games:
Show
Susan Summerson also appeared in the Innistrad Mafia Game http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28609371/Innistrad_Mafia?pg=1 Writer of Nally Bear from The Gathering Flavorful Voting Game: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28846821/The_Gathering:_M12_flavorful_voting_game?pg=1 Writer of Phyrex the Myr from Phyrexia Reborn: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27993097/Phyrexia_Reborn:_A_Flavorful_Voting_Game?pg=1 Writer of Tinker the Myr from Legacy of Karn: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/26647005/Karns_Legacy_(A_flavorful_voting_game) Writer of Crusader Tolkana, who has appeared in: Eldrazi Awaken: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/24071149/Eldrazi_Awaken:_A_flavorful_voting_game?pg=1 Colors of Magic: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/25352501/Colors_of_Magic:_a_flavor_game?pg=1 Guildwars III: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/26082093/Guildwars_III:_Shattered_Pact_(A_flavorful_voting_game)?pg=1 Writer of Isaic from Treasures of Zendikar http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/22819881/Treasures_of_Zendikar?post_id=402182877#402182877
So, lesson 1: lots of people will be interested, including people who otherwise lurk. 0_o
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
Backup, Please?

R/W human Musician. (Human Bard Ally?)
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]

Again, thanks for the sign-ups, people. Glad to see people willing to try this. I'm really sorry for the people who didn't make it, but your ideas on characters and the rules regarding them are still welcome. I like reading character designs, and making them is one of my favorite things about roleplaying (which I why I usually don't like to DM).

Here are the people that are in:

1. Ruwinreborn, playing a Blue Merfolk Wizard

2. Deckhopper, playing a Red Warrior

3. Its_always-42

4. Dr_Demento

5. HairlessThoctar, playing a Troll (presumably Green)

6. froofroo, playing a Black/White Surrakar

Again, sorry everyone else. If this works out (and I'm hoping it will), we'll have more of these in the future.

I also have a couple of questions, already:

• How do you feel about tying races and classes to a color? Like, Merfolk have to be Blue and can't be Red.

• How do you think we should handle summoning? As a planeswalker, this has issues enough, but for planar natives, things get even weirder.

Also, since we don't have any rules at the moment, the more we know about your characters, the better we can give them abilities and powers and stats later on. It seems fair to prevent Deus Ex Machina-skills (Oh, didn't you know, my character has a hidden connection to dragons.)

Lastly, because I like it so much, this is how I would make my character:

Show

Name: Jorem of Many Paths
Race: Human
Human Versatility: Being a human gives you access to all colors of mana
Humans Are Bastards: Being a human gives you +1[unit] to intimidation
Human Spirit: Being a human give you a -1[unit] penalty to defense against mind magic effect and a +1[unit] against desperation
Color: White
[Insert standard blurb about White]
Class: Cleric (Requires White or Black)
As a cleric, your main task is defending and healing your allies. This mainly gives you access to protection and healing magic, but also allows you to grant temporary boosts to your allies and sometimes allows you to use more permanent enchantments.
Favoring the Meek: You deal 1[unit] less damage to creatures that share a color and 1[unit] more to creatures that have an enemy color. 
Optional: Protection From Harm: You gain protection from an enemy color
Optional: Group Support: (White) When an ally joins a fight, you may have a creature gain one life. (Black) When an ally joins a fight, you may have a creature lose one life.

Traits:
Zendikar Auromancer (Requires: Born on Zendikar): When a creature you've enchanted with an aura you casted dies, remove the aura instead and prevent all damage done to that creature that turn.
Motivational Speaker (Requires: White or Red or Black): You voice carries your convictions and this makes it easier to convince others. You gain +1[unit] to Speech.

Known Spells:
Hyena Umbra
Brave the Elements

Equipment:
An Ax and a Shield
Standard Adventuring Gear

Jorem has been traveling for as long as he can remember. His mother was a mercenary who would take him with her wherever she went, hiring a babysitter whenever she had an assignment. This experience had made him independent and made him tolerant to most races, since his babysitters were very diverse. From a young age, his mother prepared him for the difficult life on Zendikar, teaching him the necessary tricks and techniques needed to survive the Roil and other dangers. Jorem is proficient with axes and maces, often paired with a shield. When he was old enough to leave his mother, he joined a Kor cleric for apprenticeship. He also enjoyed helping people and wanted a path in life that would allow this. His teacher taught him of the three gods, but Jorem didn't care much for that. Rather than seeing the beauty in the gods, he saw it in the cooperation and resourcefulness of the people of Zendikar.

After his apprenticeship was over, he joined several minor expeditions in order to sate his wanderlust. 

Jorem is a dependable and loyal companion, willing to put the needs of the group in front of his own. He will never be the first to attack first, and will generally try to calm everything down without bloodshed. 

His major failings are a serious case of chronic hero syndrome and a need for feedback.

So, lesson 1: lots of people will be interested, including people who otherwise lurk. 0_o

I have learned that there are few absolute truths in this universe, but among them: Everyone likes to RP.

• How do you feel about tying races and classes to a color? Like, Merfolk have to be Blue and can't be Red.

I think it'd be fine to tue each race to its base color, but allow color bleeding as a secondary color. merfolk for example. There's only so many combinations possible if we stick to the defaults. Nissa was a Zendikar native and she taught herself , for example.

• How do you think we should handle summoning? As a planeswalker, this has issues enough, but for planar natives, things get even weirder.

Uhhhh, good question. Can someone share some precedent for non-walkers summoning?
In Teeth, Nissa summoned only creatures native to Zendikar, and they were all actual creatures not imprints, but, well, planeswalker.

I'm not going to provide any criticism on the game for the same reason that I don't stick around and watch my best friend eat her ice cream cone after the damn soft serve machine broke:  it would only make me upset because I didn't get to do it too.  Instead, I just wander off muttering something about how I didn't really want ice cream and it's probably going to give her diabetes anyways. 

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
I think on-plane creature summoning is less "summoning" and more akin to having it as a constant companion. Like a pet.

A big, twenty foot tall baloth pet. I'm looking at you, Thoctar. His name should be Lothums.

Unless we're talking about magical/artificial constructs, like elementals or illusions. Maybe even some constructs, depending on the character.

Also, what do you think about a three part statistic system? Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence. Should keep it simple.

Here is some more stuff for my character.

Show

Small frame: Thaerven is a lightweight, and so receives -1(unit) to Strength based actions, but gains a  +1(unit) to Dexterity based actions.

Gills: Naturally, Thaerven can breathe underwater.

Lullmage (Requires Zendikar, Requires Wizard): Tharven's calming influence over the roil spreads to his demeanor and inerpersoanl interactions. He gains +1(unit) to Diplomacy actions, but due to his perpetually calm nature, a -1(unit) to initiative.

Knowledgeable (Requires Blue): Being the scholar that he is, Thaerven gains +1(unit) to intelligence based actions.

Known spells:
Narcolepsy
Fleeting Distraction
Trapfinder's Trick
Twitch

Equipment:
Diviner's Wand
Blazing Torch
Spellbook

So someone needs to do this on Ravnica for the rest of us.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]

I think it'd be fine to tie each race to its base color, but allow color bleeding as a secondary color. merfolk for example. There's only so many combinations possible if we stick to the defaults. Nissa was a Zendikar native and she taught herself , for example.

Sounds fair enough. Most races are flexible enough to spread, anyway.

Uhhhh, good question. Can someone share some precedent for non-walkers summoning?
 In Teeth, Nissa summoned only creatures native to Zendikar, and they were all actual creatures not imprints, but, well, planeswalker.

There's Talrand and his ilk. Talrand for example, seems to call his drakes from the depths of the sea. Illusionists will probably conjure up their illusions. And as Ruwin said, we could probably allow pets. We are probably going to restrict those at some point. We can't have a starting character with a baloth for example. Maybe we can include a trait called "X Summoning: You are now able to summon an X. X is a non-legendary creature that has a converted mana-cost no higher than your level upon taking this trait." That covers a lot of ground and the individual player can flavor it however they like.

Also, what do you think about a three part statistic system? Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence. Should keep it simple.

Could work, but it also could be rather limited. I sometimes feel like the D&D system with 6 (or so) stats is too limited, because each  stat has to cover a lot. On the other hand, if we can keep it simple, we also make it pretty accessible. 

We could tie it to a power toughness system? Your Strength covers power/toughness with physical attacks, your Dexterity with ranged and your Intelligence for magical attack.

Also, three mana seems a bit excessive for a starting character, but that could be me. How about, no spells higher than you level? Or do we tie it to intelligence? But the second option would screw non-magical characters, and that's something I really want to avoid.

@Cato: I understand. No hard feelings.

@EyeHunter: I feel Ravnica is a more advanced setting, so in order to go there, you'd need a robust system in place already.

I'm somewhat concerned about the idea of summoning other sapients, in Teeth at different points Nissa summoned an entourage of elves and a troll.
And there's just all sorts of issues to that. 
Summoning Sapients is an issue we've debated before. For this game, we should probably choose an interpretation and stick to it. I suggest the "magical constructs" theory, since it lets us use creatures as in the game without ethical issues.
Check out my cube!
Show
57193048 wrote:
56663526 wrote:
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
56734518 wrote:
@Stat systems: Keeping it simple is best, but it definitely doesn't have to be how I described. It would just be a good baseline to extrapolate ideas from. I like the idea of Strength effecting power, but not intelligence. I sort of feel as though an intelligence character would have a higher density of low mana cost, low impact spells, and a strength character would have a high attack (Aka repeatable source of free damage) but a lower density of low mana spells.

@Mana costs: I'm not going to lie, I was just looking at spell effect and not cost at all. The fact that they were all 1 or 2 mana was complete coincidence. Excluding Twitch, of course. I'm sort of thinking, though, what if we do rate spells by effect rather than cost? Tapping a creature isn't a very powerful effect at three mana; especially when I can do it every turn for two. Sure, I'm paying for the instant speed of it, but still.

We don't want 4th level characters casting Day of Judgement do we?

If we set up a sytem where, say, blue mages at level 1 can use spells that reduce power, tap creatures, and can summon/command creatures that are 1/1.

But a green mage at level 1 can summon/command 2/2 creatures, and grant them various combat bonuses.

A red mage would have access to a 2 damage burn spell at level one, as well as 2/1 creatures, and haste effects. (Intiative bonus?)

Black would get 1/1 creatures with a special ability (Swampwalk, deathtouch, lifelink), Small time kill spells, like Disfigure , and minor mind alteration/destruction magic ala Duress

White can only command 1/1 creatures, but can command up to 2, they have access to healing spells, and protective wards.

Just spitballing some dieas.

@Sapients: Uh, perhaps we should just be incapable of summoning/commanding those, and instead we can have them as allies who we meet over the course of the adventure? 
Couple thoughts here, not sure if any are good, but could spark ideas.

1. For race/class color alignment: I recommend a philosophy similar to D&D alignments.  Races tended to be 'usually' or 'always' of a certain alignment.  In those cases, there were only rare exceptions to that case.  I figure you can have, for example, a non-blue Merfolk.  However, that difference would have to be explained, and likely be a central aspect of the character.

2. For stats, what if Colors were the stats.  To put in perspective, here's my character's potential stat breakdown:

5 W
1 U
5 B
0 R
0 G

Then, whenever you tried to take an action, you would claim what color it applied to and why (I'm going to curse my opponent, which is obviously black; I'm going to attack with my sword, based on training I had, which is white.  Potentially the DM would intercede if that wasn't the case: I attack using white.  No you don't have a weapon, so an unarmed attack like that would probably be Green or Red)

3. I'm not sure that summoning is worth dealing with at this phase.  I'd focus on the more limited aspects of individual characters, without trying to bring in pets or minions.
Susan Summerson from the Hell breaks loose Flavorful Voting Game http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29076567/Hell_breaking_loose:_an_Avacyn_Restored_voting_game?pg=1 Click here for more Forum Games:
Show
Susan Summerson also appeared in the Innistrad Mafia Game http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28609371/Innistrad_Mafia?pg=1 Writer of Nally Bear from The Gathering Flavorful Voting Game: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28846821/The_Gathering:_M12_flavorful_voting_game?pg=1 Writer of Phyrex the Myr from Phyrexia Reborn: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27993097/Phyrexia_Reborn:_A_Flavorful_Voting_Game?pg=1 Writer of Tinker the Myr from Legacy of Karn: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/26647005/Karns_Legacy_(A_flavorful_voting_game) Writer of Crusader Tolkana, who has appeared in: Eldrazi Awaken: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/24071149/Eldrazi_Awaken:_A_flavorful_voting_game?pg=1 Colors of Magic: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/25352501/Colors_of_Magic:_a_flavor_game?pg=1 Guildwars III: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/26082093/Guildwars_III:_Shattered_Pact_(A_flavorful_voting_game)?pg=1 Writer of Isaic from Treasures of Zendikar http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/22819881/Treasures_of_Zendikar?post_id=402182877#402182877
Depending on your writing speed, I'd guess somewhere between ten and thirty minutes every 48 hours. I was planning on updating every 48 hours or so, since I need to plan ahead and maybe adapt to the story and I want to give myself a buffer. If it's going too fast or too slow, things can be modified.

I don't know about the rest of you, but my average time in writing an email is half an hour. Writing a post on these forums: between half and hour to an hour. Writing an flavorpost: 2 hours+. I'm going to appreciate the two-day update schedule, because I normally have like 3-4 hours a day to myself which I can do that.

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true">I also have a couple of questions, already:

Also, since we don't have any rules at the moment, the more we know about your characters, the better we can give them abilities and powers and stats later on. It seems fair to prevent Deus Ex Machina-skills (Oh, didn't you know, my character has a hidden connection to dragons.)

1. The way you have it lined up in your character makes it rather intuitive. Like, clerics being white or black; illusionists being blue; soldiers being red or white, etc. all makes sense. I'm for it on that side. On races:color, I think like its beens suggested there needs to be a base but you are allowed to bleed.

2. I would think summoning would first of all be emphasized with certain classes (like necromancers, artificers, illusionists, druids, etc.), while others would only maily have access to non-creature spells, and still others would have no spell access at all (my character will be a Minotaur Warrior Ally, so I'll be a fighter without spellcasting abilities).

Now, I make the distinction of "spells" rather than "magic" because presumably we will all be questing for treasure, and:

A) Some of us will have magical tools and/or gear

B) There will be magical treasure, probably including spells, that we find along the way and add to our repetoire.*

*IDEA TIME: Yxoque, I'm assuming you're DMing this, or that there's going to be more than "My character finds this, greatly increasing his power," so I've got this idea where the treasures we find are randomized so that sometimes, someone finds a great treasure that's usesless to them. They can decide to take it or leave it (or destroy it). If they take it, that could be used as a bargaining chip with other players' characters. For instance, my spell-less minataur finds a spellbook. He takes it, though the best he could hope to accomplish with it is using it as toilet paper. Later, he meets Ruwin's character, who notices the book among my stuff and asks about it. We then trade, my book for something he owns or some treasure he's found.

IDEA TIME: Perhaps every X amount of days, players are required to make for a city of some kind to restock and whatnot? And/or every X amount of updates, players are required to make camp, where they may meet others doing the same?

Note: whenever I come up with a thought about the game rules/workings, I'll write "IDEA TIME:" in all capital letters so you know I'm not responding or talking normally. Also; I'm writing my character's profile now, maybe post it tonight or even in an hour (if not in an hour then in 10). I'll be playing a Minotaur Warrior Ally, so you know.

EDIT: could someone direct me (or explain to me) on how exactly to post a specific card incidence (in other words: How do I make Prophetic Prism the Zendikar one?). I was there when it was discovered but I didn't experiment myself, so I don't know what to do exactly.

EDIT2: Does anyone (perhaps Barinellos or Thoctar) know how Minotaur names went in Zendikar? I'm not sure where to start for my guy.

KeeperofManyNames wrote:

Alright, new theory: these forums are an experiment in ultraminimalism. By Monday everything--yes everything--will be the color white, and typing any character will simply produce a solid rectangle of variable height and width.

@Mandatory colors: I think having a baseline color for creatures is the best idea. In extreme cases and with permission from the DM you could potentially play a mono-White Minotaur, but you're always going to have weird cases.

@Stats: We could have simple stats for combat, and then whole list of other skills for non-combat, like D&D 3.5 has, but this is rather inelegant. And isaic, I'm sorry to say, but I'm not really in favor of that (but if everyone else, I won't fight it), because it lends too much power towards interpretation, and it also encourages having a lot of colors to some extent. 

I kinda do want to keep the terminology of power and toughness. It would make things feel more magic-y.

There are other things I want to say, but that'll have to wait, since my girlfriend finally agreed to watch Iron Man with me. I'll post them later tonight (hopefully).

Edit:

Further thoughts:

@Summoning sapients: We can rule that summoning actual living creatures with a will of their own is evil, and will probably need an exterior motivator to make them go along with it. Making it possible, but also morally reprehensible and more difficult than summoning mana-imprints.

@Spells/power: No, Day of Judgement at level 4 is definitely not something we want. Suggestion: We do away with a level-based skill progression, and just make a list of traits you can "buy". You start with, say, five points, and "One-mana-spells" (giving you access to spells that cost one mana of a color you have) costs 2 points, "two-mana-spells" costs 4 and so on. Then we just have to find a balance that will give you four-mana at some point, but pretty late on the curve. 
And more martial-oriented characters could choose things like Lifelink and Double Strike.

We could also do what Ruwin suggested, and that approach would allow a lot of flavor to come from the players and would also be pretty adaptable. The only reason I don't like 100% is because I like the idea of using actual Magic-spells.

Also, 42: Your ideas are noted. "Useless Useful Loot" is something I'll keep in mind, and the restocking thing would certainly work on Zendikar (on Ravnica I probably wouldn't do it, for example).

Alright, just so I don't get overwhelmed by all this crap and waste the slot, what do I need to do/know?
There's something that's been bothering me while thinking about my character today. This is Zendikar, which eventually has leveling, so I can understand the use of levels here over anywhere else in Magic. BUT, in the future we maybe should come up with a different way to balance the game, because levelling is a rather un-Magic thing. I'm not good at coming up with balancing mechanics, though.

Also, I've been thinking over my character but haven't solidified anything yet. Sorry about that. I was going to use Yxoque's outline and substitute out my ideas, but A) I'm not good at D&D style character creations because I've never played D&D, and B) because I need to silidify the character's personality (and maybe backstory) before I start suggesting off-the-wall abilities.

KeeperofManyNames wrote:

EXCUSE ME.
For the issue of casting spells, we can have the level tie to mana cost, and then have a set level when you can cast uncommons, then rares, and we can also have a set amount of mana that one person can have per day.

Okay. In order to speed things along, I'm going to do a big suggestion on how to create your character, in the form of a template. Feedback is encouraged. And this is really just a suggestion (if a somewhat wordy one). This is not at all mandatory.

Template

Basic character facts:

Color(s): (Options: White, Blue, Black, Red, Green). [Color is pretty important in Magic: The Gathering, so I feel it should come first. I would rule that having only one color is encouraged, and having more than three is heavily discouraged.]
Race: (Options: Any sapient magic race that wouldn't be blatantly overpowered (you can't really imagine a 1/1 Sphinx).) Each race has a color tied to it and that race has to have that color (This would be pretty self-explanatory for most people here. [Maybe we need to make a list at a later point, though.) Each race also provides a couple of small, situational benefits.]

Examples:

Elf(Requires Green): 
Lay of the Land: Your familiarity with the land you live on allows you to easily see what wrong.  You gain a +2 bonus to your perception while in a land associated with your color(s).
Agile Climber: Having a preference for large trees, you are able to scale them with ease. While climbing, you move at your regular speed. You also have a +2 bonus to succeed climbing.
Sylvan Training: Your ancestor's training lives on in you. Once each fight, you can add a +1 bonus to both your attack roll (chance to hit) and your damage of an Intelligence or Dexterity based attack.

Merfolk(Requires Blue):
Water creature: Being born in the water gives you a natural advantage while submerged. You can breath underwater and your underwater speed is the same as your land speed.
Affinity for the Mind: Gives you a +1 bonus to mind-magic, both offense and defense.
Island-dweller: While on an island, gain a +1 initiative bonus

Aven(Requires White):
Flying: Having wings, you can fly. You can fly at a speed equal to your walking speed. 
Special Blink: You have a +2 bonus against effects that would blind you.
[I'm too lazy to came up with more, sorry]

Class: Your class is what your character chooses to excel at. Some classes are restricted by color, while others aren't. Your class also decides (in part) your skillset, gives you a few abilities and sometimes gives you traits. [I would give each class two passive abilities and two free traits to start out with]

[Spolier=Examples:]

Cleric (Requires White or Black): 

You have the following passive abilities:
Favoring the Meek: You deal 1[unit] less damage to creatures that share a color and 1[unit] more to creatures that have an enemy color. 

Pick one of the following:
Optional: Protection From Harm: Once each turn, instead of moving, you may have a creature gain protection from a color that is your enemy.
Optional: Group Support: (White) When an ally joins a fight, you may have a creature gain one life. (Black) When an ally joins a fight, you may have a creature lose one life.

You gain the trait: One-Mana-Spells (common)
You gain the trait: Orator

Berserker (Requires Red)

You have the following passive abilities:
Smell of Blood: When a creature in your vicinity has taken damage this fight, you gain a +1[unit] bonus on attack rolls and to damage.

Pick one of the following:
Battlesinger: When you attack, each friendly creature gets a +1[unit] bonus to his attack rolls until the beginning of your next turn.
Vandalism: You can destroy an artifact as a [major action/for 2 action points/whatever other system for managing turns there is]

You gain the trait: Eager for Combat
You gain the trait: Extra Power

Traits: Traits are bonuses that help you flesh out your character. They are often tied to specific races or classes and are sometimes required to take other traits. Some traits will help you in combat, others will help you overcome other challenges altogether. Each character starts out with 5 trait-points [7 might be better, but would be harder to balance, probably] and can use these to "buy" traits. Your DM can give you a new trait point when you complete a noteworthy challenge, or multiple, when you do something truly amazing. 

Examples

Zendikar Auromancer (Requires: Born on Zendikar, One-Mana-Spells (common), 2 trait-points): When a creature you've enchanted with an aura you casted dies, remove the aura instead and prevent all damage done to that creature that turn.

One-Mana-Spells (common) (Requires: 1 trait-point): You can now use one-mana spells of common rarity.

Orator (Requires: White, Red or Black 1 trait-point):  You voice carries your convictions and this makes it easier to convince others. You gain +2[unit] when trying to convince others.

Eager for Combat (Requires: Red or Green, 1 trait-point): When able, your first move during a fight has to be attacking. You can +2 initiative [Initiative is generally used to decide the order of attacks].

Extra Power (Requires: 1 trait point): You gain 1 extra Power. You can take this trait multiple times. Each time you take it, you add your current (base) power to the previous cost. (So if you have 0 power, it costs 1. If you have 1 power, it costs 2) If you have two power it costs 4, etc.)

Extra Toughness (Requires 1+your current toughness trait point(s)): You gain 1 extra Toughness. You can take this trait multiple times. 

Haste (Requires Red/Green/Black, 3 trait points): You are always first on the initiative order.

Four-mana-spells (Rare) (Requires: Four-mana-spells (Uncommon), 20 trait-points).

Armament Master (Requires: Kor, 4 trait-points): You can carry two additional weapons.

Magical knowledge (Requires: One-Mana-Spells, 2 trait points): You know 2 spells. You can take this trait multiple times.

Equipment: I'm not sure if we need specific rulings for this. Each character just carries either a Two-handed weapon, or a main-hand and an off-hand. And maybe a smaller sidearm. 

Stats: Ruwin suggested 3 stats: Strength, Dexterity and Intelligence. I've never seen a system with only 3 stats, so I'm not sure what would be balanced here. I'm also not sure if we really need it with the idea I have for power/toughness being trait-based.

Spells: You can take spells according to your traits (and if we're using Intelligence, that will probably also decide how many traits . Try to be a little common-sense in this, as in not summoning Angels if you're a necromancer, or using traps as a cleric, stuff like that. 

[/spoiler]

Ok, I like most of that. Here's my critique.

@Traits, Races, and Classes: We'll need a fairly comprehensive list of all of these. I think, instead of having things like "Zendikar Auramancer" in general, we should have a large list of race, classes, and traits, and then do this. First, when we start a campaign, list what races are available based on the plane. Then we can list a series of bonus traits the characters can acquire based on the plane as well. That way, we aren't bogging down the "general" list, but we still have that plane specific flavor. So, on Zendikar the options for races are obviously:

Ogre
Elf
Vampire
Human
Merfolk
Goblin
Troll
Surrakar
Colorless Mana-Drinking monstrosities from outside of planar reality
Kor

Since these races exist on multiple planes, each race would have single special trait it would only recieve on Zendikar. For instance, on Zendikar, Merfolk have legs, so they wouldn't suffer a movement penalty on land.

And then, each color would have three or four "bonus traits" based on the setting, like the Zendikar Auramancer trait above. Maybe something like this. 

White: Zendikar Auramancer, Landfall (Gain Life), Emergency Preparedness

Blue: Cast Through Time, Landfall (Card Draw [Alternatively, how are we going to handle card draw effects?] ), Trapmaker/Trapfinder

Red: Thirst for Adventure, Landfall (First Strike, Intimidate, Direct Damage), Volatile Elemental Mastery

Green: Poison Blood, Landfall (Bonus Power, Vigilance, Creatures), Sudden Adaptation

Black: Sangromancy, Landfall (Deathtoch, Lifelink), Trapmaker/Trapfinder

If you like this system I can go in to more detail about what the traits do, but I think it is important that we make each setting unique. Since, you know, each setting is unique.

One last thing, how do we go about getting trait points? 

Ogre
Elf
Vampire
Human
Merfolk
Goblin
Troll
Surrakar
Colorless Mana-Drinking monstrosities from outside of planar reality
Kor

There were also giants, of the regular and hurda varieties.
Although, I think the hurda are about as smart as livestock.

Zendikar sphinxes and kraken are sapient, but OP for the purposes of an RP. Likewise angels (most of which are basically robots), archons and demons.
There is also a shapeshifter population of unknown scale and culture.
Hey! There were also minotaurs! Or are they considered overpowered?

On the general setup there with the fancy traits and whatnot: That's definitely useful. I haven't been posting anything about my character because I largely haven't finished him. I've got a bit of backstory and personality thought out for him, but I need to write it out correctly and it's just not coming.

At this point I think having 4 stats might be useful, unti we get a feel for how this will actually play. Power (strength), Toughness (HP), Intelligence (spell access), and agility (speed). Agility I suggest because it makes more sense for a place like Zendikar to be able to get out of traps and catch the edge of cliffs, etc., than Dexterity. Dexterity would work well for a more urbanized plane with more rogues and theives but I think the adventure should be the spotlight on this one.

Ruwin brings up a point though; How do we handle Landfall? If we're going to be exploring, I imagine as we explore new lands, that can be what triggers it, but I can't see it coming up in combat much that way.

KeeperofManyNames wrote:

If you like this system I can go in to more detail about what the traits do, but I think it is important that we make each setting unique. Since, you know, each setting is unique.

One last thing, how do we go about getting trait points? 

I think we should have general flavor traits and setting specific ones.

As for races, I'd like some consistency in the races across the planes, but we could go 50/50 on that, with 2 generic and two plane specific racial traits. 

Five trait points are given during character creation, the rest are given by the DM during the story for minor and greater accomplishments. Say, crossing an ocean, winning an important fight, completing a quest...

Here's how I see basic game elements converted to an RPG setting:

Card Types:

• Planeswalker: N/A

• Instant: A quick spell that you can cast without much preparation (can be cast as a response to an enemy action)

• Sorcery: A spell that takes a couple of seconds to cast

• Enchantment: An effect that last until the end of an encounter

• Artifact: a physical thingy

• Creature: the player characters and most allies and enemies you encounter

• Land: I was thinking of having lands be represented by the locale you're in. So each place would have a land-type associated and that would effect some abilities (Landfall, by the way, is movements in the roil, so you could represent this by having the DM do a "landfall" check, which would either cause the terrain to deform, or the type of land to shift)

Other game concepts:

• Mana: I was thinking (but this was last night, so it could be a terribly idea) that it could represent a type of "action points" you can spend each turn. You start with 1 colored mana and then you can get more by some process (I have an idea for this, but I need to test it first.)

• Card draw: I have no idea on this actually. It should give you more options in some way, though.

• Power/Toughness: I see power as something that decides how much damage you do. There's a Star Wars system that uses flat numbers to deal damage, instead of rolls, and this would be pretty useful in a text-based system, since we would have less dice to roll. Toughness is harder. I've had several ideas, but they all sucked. For some ideas it would kill the players too fast (Toughness as HP) and others made Toughness to different from the card game (Toughness as damage absorption)

Sign In to post comments