YMt3CM #2: Still a Contest for Everyone

67 posts / 0 new
Last post

IMAGE(http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l300/idiotic_puppy/YMt3CMbanner_zpseb9a2816.png)

Welcome to You Make the Three Card Magic, a weekly design contest I plan on running until I get sick of it.

To those of you unfamiliar with 3CM, it is a format that is exactly how it sounds: you use only three cards! I've attempted contests before that forced competitors to design for specific formats, but 3CM is ideal in its limited scope and precise quality with which criteria can be given. If you know how 3CM works, you can skip ahead to the contest rules. Otherwise...

How 3CM works
1. Each deck consists of exactly three cards. Any cards not banned in Vintage or by the 3CM banned list are allowed. Cards on the Vintage restricted list are allowed to be used in multiples.
2. Two deck types are disallowed:
- Decks that can force an opponent to remove two or more cards from his or her hand in a single turn.
- Decks that end the game before the opponent has had a full turn.
3. Each player starts the game with all 3 cards in their hand. Matches are played in two games with each deck getting a chance to play first. Perfect information is used to determine the outcome; that is, each player knows exactly what the other player's deck consists of and what choices can be made.
4. Players do not lose for drawing a card from an empty library. Draws are not skipped, though; if a card somehow gets into a library, it may be drawn or interacted with by ordinary Magic standards.
5. If a random choice is required, the opponent of that effect's owner chooses its outcome.
6. Cards outside the game don't exist. (i.e. Living Wish gets nothing.)
7. Players are awarded 3 points be game win, 1 per game tie, and 0 per game loss. The max score per match-up, therefore, is 6.

Contest Rules (Short version and long version)
Brief rules if you're in a hurry: 3cm is just Magic with only 3 cards. Decking is not a win-condition. Your job is to fulfill the design constraints below to make your own 3cm deck (usually only creating one card). Grading is based on quality of design and your deck's match-ups with 5 3cm decks of my choosing from 3cm history (everyone plays against the same decks).

1. Anyone may participate at any time. If I feel the need to limit submissions, I will say so.
2. Criteria is based on the 3CM format. You don't have to know the format intimately to partipate and do well, but there's a chance it could help. Here is a link to the thread Purple_Shrimp ran and one to the thread I'm currently running. Each contains spreadsheets with past rounds of the competition, including the decks themselves.
3. During each contest, I will give you an incomplete 3CM deck. Your goal is to design a card that works in that deck. 
4. Two scales will be used for grading. The first is the design scale.
- 4a. The design scale has a maximum score of 70 points: 30 points for Idea; 20 points for Flavor; and 20 points for Developemt.
- 4b. "Idea" measures the general creation of the card: the innovation, the fun, and so on.
- 4c. "Flavor" measures the theme of your card: the name, the concept, the extra parts tying it together.
- 4d. "Development" measures the balance of the card as though it were printed in a modern Magic set. Yes, the 3CM is better with the existence of  Black Lotus, but this is still a design contest that measures your understanding of the design process. So, keep that in mind; it will be at conflict with the other grading scale.
5. The second grading scale is the competition scale.
- 5a. The competition scale has a maximum score of 30 points. It involves using your design in a round of 3CM.
- 5b. Your deck will compete against 5 unnamed 3CM decks of my choosing as though playing an actual round of 3CM. Each participant in the contest plays against the same 5 decks.
6. The winner is the contestant with the highest combined score between both grades.

Contest #2: The Alternative
In the same vein as exploring the format's mana, looking at the alternative play options also allows for quite a number of decks to exist. Chancellor of the Forge, Pyrokinesis, Leyline of the Meek, and many others pop up regularly, offering a style of play unlike the rest of 3cm. Your deck will contain three similar cards: two from real Magic and one of your own design. No card in your deck may be cast for its mana cost. No lands may be in your deck. I'm looking for cards that are either cast/put onto the battlefield in an alternative manner or cards that affect the game state from somewhere other than on the battlefield. The above three cards are an example of an acceptible deck (though, of course, you have to replace one with your own design).

alternative, alternative, [YOUR CARD]

Post your card and the two cards you intend to use it with in your 3cm deck.

Submissions will be accepted until Sunday, 3/3/13, 11:59 pm. Have fun!
Can we use the same card twice?

For instance, two of the same chancellor. 
Can we use the same card twice?

For instance, two of the same chancellor. 

Yes, absolutely.
For what it's worth, Mind Sword is also banned under the multiple hand disruption rule.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

I didn't see the last grades, how do grades effect the matches? Cause I can just wait until the end and submit something that beats everyone...
I didn't see the last grades, how do grades effect the matches? Cause I can just wait until the end and submit something that beats everyone...

They're in the op, under previous round.

Yxoque wrote:

2 x Chancellor of the Forge
1 x Gravelinker Martyr
BoardFlood.dec

Gravelinker Martyr
Creature - Zombie Wizard

When you cast Gravelinker Martyr, you may discard any number of creature cards. Gravelinker Martyr costs less for each creature card discarded this way.
Sacrifice ~, pay X life: Put target creature card with converted mana cost X from your graveyard onto the battlefield under your control. It gains this ability.

"One life for another."

0/1

It should work this way

Turn 1: Get 2 goblins from the chancellors, discard chancellors, cast Gravelinker for free. Pay 7 life and sacrifice Gravelinker for a Chancellor. You get 3 goblins. Sacrifice the Chancellor and pay 7 life to get another Chancellor. You get 6 goblins. Swing with your 11 goblins for 11 damage.
Turn 2: Swing for 16 damage. Win
1 x Chancellor of the Tangle
1 X Leyline of the Meek
1 X Secluded Sanctuary
Secluded Sanctuary 1
Enchantment
Whenever a forest enters the battlefield under your control, put a 1/1 green dryad creature token with forest walk onto the battlefield. 2: Populate
 IMAGE(http://imageshack.us/a/img526/2121/secludedsanctuary.jpg) Uploaded with ImageShack.us' alt='IMAGE(IMAGE(http://imageshack.us/a/img526/2121/secludedsanctuary.jpg) Uploaded with ImageShack.us)' />
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

I'd advice you to read up on the guidelines of 3CM. Your deck is currently unable to do anything.

Yxoque wrote:

You aren't facing against the other decks posted here, but from a gauntlet of five regular 3cm decks of my choosing. Your goals are (1) to design a good card that could be printed in a modern/future set, and (2) to earn more points against that gauntlet than the other contestants with their own decks.

Okay, I might try to make something actually good, but the idea I have currently is really neat. Besides, extremely hard to make something that isn't forced.

Dryad Arbor & Reverent Silence

Intangible Serenity ()
Instant
Convoke
Target permanent becomes an enchantment until end of turn. (It's doesn't retain its previous types.)

Yxoque wrote:

I'll think about Dryad Arbor and get back to you. It's not allowed under a strict reading of the rules, but I'm not sure how strict I want to be.
ah ok, the rules are a little confusing :/
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I forgot I didn't have any mana to cast my last entry, which is embarassing. Here is my amended submission:

Chancellor of the Forge
Lotus Bloom

and

Anachromaton

Artifact Creature-Construct
You may put a suspended card you control into its owner's graveyard rather than pay Anachromaton's mana cost.
It's time for dinner.
2/1

ah ok, the rules are a little confusing :/

Basically, its a game of Magic played using only 3 card decks. All the rules for Magic apply save the decking rule. For this round, your deck is made of three cards you that can't be cast in the traditional sense (at least, not in your deck): two from MTG history, and one of your own design. Examples of cards that fit this theme include Lotus Bloom, Chancellor of the Dross, Leyline of the Void, Basking Rootwalla, Disrupting Shoal... and so on.

That mostly covers it.
FYI, leyline of anticipation is banned, not singularity.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Salvage Titan
Chancellor of the Forge

This thing:

Suffer for Art

Sorcery
As an additional cost to cast Suffer for Art, sacrifice a creature.
Put three artifact tokens named Still Life onto the battlefield. (They have no abilities.)
"In true art, the subject 
is the object. Paint with crushed bone pigment, my treasures! Moisten the eyes with tears."
~Slendev Sjak, Bon Mourir

heh 

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]

1X Chancellor of the Dross
1X Delraich
1X Cursed Vampires.

Cursed Vampires |
Sorcery
You may discard a Vampire card from your hand rather than pay Cursed Vampires cost.
Put three 1/1 black vampire creature tokens into play.
Cursed for feeding on brethen these vampires are often on the front of all battlefields.

1X Chancellor of the Spires
1X Leyline of Meek
1X Fairy Lord Mir

Fairy Lord Mir | :U:
Legendary Creature - Fairy
Flying
If an opponent discards a card this turn, put a 1/1 blue fairy creature token into play for each card discarded.
Madness 0
1/1

Show
Turn 1. drop leyline, and play Fairy Lord Mir, reveal chancellor of the spires and put 7+ fairy creature tokens with +1/+1 into play. Turn 2 wreck face

op fairy is op.

That doesn't work, at all. Your opponent has no library for the chancellor to mill, you have no way to play the fairy without mana or a discard outlet, and mill isn't the same as discard anyways.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
quick question. how does one link a card. similar to turnips salvaged titan?
quick question. how does one link a card. similar to turnips salvaged titan?

Path to Exile
is
Path to Exile in c tags
[c^]Path to Exile[/c^]
minus the ^'s
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Commandeer
Misdirection

Dreamform Wisp
Creature - Illusion (color indicator - blue)
You may exile a card facedown from your hand rather than pay Dreamform Wisp's mana cost.
Pay 2 life: Return Dreamfrom wisp and all cards exiled by it to their owner's hand.
1/1

Meh, not sure if I should give this a mana cost or not, definitiely going to hammer out the flavor and wording sometime though.
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Commandeer
Misdirection

Dreamform Wisp
You may exile a card facedown from your hand rather than pay Dreamform Wisp's mana cost.
Pay 2 life: Return Dreamfrom wisp and all cards exiled by it to their owner's hand.
1/1

Meh, not sure if I should give this a mana cost or not, definitiely going to hammer out the flavor and wording sometime though.

what would you do with this trio of cards O.o
Chancellor of the Forge
Blazing Shoal

Cunning of the Meek
Enchantment - Aura (R)
Enchant creature.
You may cast Cunning of the Meek without paying its mana cost if it targets a 1/1 creature.
Enchanted creature has first strike, vigilance, and hexproof.
Commandeer
Misdirection

Dreamform Wisp
1/1

Play wisp, if they attempt to cast something deadly, either redirect it, or return wisp to hand and gain control of it. Unfortunately it folds to any creature based deck.
Commandeer
Misdirection

Dreamform Wisp
1/1

You play the dreamform wisp (exile Misdirection), then if they play a threat you can return it to your hand and commandeer it.
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
1 x Chancellor of the Dross
1 x Chancellor of the Forge
1 x Time Warden

Time Warden
Creature - Human Wizard
Hexproof
You may put Time Warden from your hand onto the battlefield without paying its mana cost at the beginning of your first main phase of your first turn.
Each of your turns is your first turn.
2/2

Potential new entry since update

1x Unmask
1x Leyline of the Void
1x Misthollow Nightmare

Misthollow Nightmare :ubm::ubm::ubm:
Creature - Nightmare Horror
Flying, Deathtouch
You may cast ~ from exile by sacrificing a black permanent and paying 5 life rather than pay its mana cost. 
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may play target exiled card without paying its mana cost. 
5/7        
Wow, I am really terrible at this. I can't even pick two alternates. This is what I had.

Rooftop Storm
Ghoultree

Leyline of Light |
Enchantment
If Leyline of Light is in your opening hand, you may begin the game with it on the battlefield.
You may cast enchantment spells without paying their mana cost. If you do, exile that enchantment at end of turn.
The golden light allows even the simplest of ideas to take shape before they fade with the dusk.
I'm considering changing the criteria since it's a bit... uglier than I intended. If I do, hopefully I do so before tonight ends.

EDIT: I'm just gonna let it ride. Good luck. See below.

Dreamform Wisp
1/1

Completely overpowered in constructed. But you already know that.
EDIT: Sorry, I think I must have misread. It's not overpowered, ignore this post. 
Blazing Shoal
Chancellor of the Forge

Moment of Truth -
Instant
If this is the only card in your hand, you may pay rather than pay Moment of Truth's mana cost.
Target creature you control gains protection from the color of your choice until end of turn.
I've updated the rules to make some things a bit more clear. Please look at them and update your decks/designs accordingly. I'll also send PMs to those no longer fitting the parameters. My apologies if this causes any inconveniences.
I'll think about Dryad Arbor and get back to you. It's not allowed under a strict reading of the rules, but I'm not sure how strict I want to be.

The card I was actually going with was Reverent Silence.
Edit: Didn't read that it was supposed to affect both of them.

Yxoque wrote:

Deck:
Demon of Death's Gate
Dread Return
Demonic Devotion

Card:
Demonic Devotion
Sorcery
You may pay rather than pay ~'s mana cost. If you do, discard your hand at the end of turn.
Put six 0/1 black thrull creature tokens on the battlefield.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?

Demonic Devotion
Enchantment
You may discard a black card and put six 1/1 black thrull creature tokens under an opponents control rather than pay ~'s mana cost.
If you would sacrifice creatures to pay for a cost, you may have another player sacrifice that many creatures instead.
"After a certain treshold, excessive sadomasochism starts looking like altruism."

You must realise this is broken, surely?
It is broken, yeah, but the best thing you can do with it actually is Dread Return a Griselbrand or something, which is a 3 card combo at sorcery speed, and there are far more broken things in Legacy. And 3CM is a broken format by itself. I feel my card is well within this contests guidelines, though that is for Rush_Clasic to decide.

192884403 wrote:
Okay then, new submission.

Snapback and Unmask

Doubtstalker ()
Creature - Spirit
At the beginning of your upkeep, put ~ onto the battlefield from exile unless an opponent exiles a card from his or her graveyard.
2/1

Yxoque wrote:

It's not as broken as mine though. 

Is that supposed to be a good thing?

Yxoque wrote:

Is that supposed to be a good thing?

Depends. Mine is not broken in constructed, and while it IS broken in 3CM (Thragtusk, Thragtusk, Martyr), it isn't given the criteria for this round.
Ok, I now realize it was much broken than what I thought. Edited my submission.

192884403 wrote:
Sign In to post comments