Devotion the Cleric, and Phaleg the Tiefling

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Greetings fellow adventurers!

I have a Tiefling Cleric by the name of Devotion. Devotion named himself to get away from his birthname, Phaleg. Phaleg is the Demon of Discontent. As such, he hates himself and who he is. He turned to the clerical ways so he would be even farther away from his demonic bloodline. After many years as a Cleric of Pelor (diety subject to change as i do some research), his physical body started to change. His skin turned from a brick red to a more pale tone, his horn growth stunted, and his eyes went from black globes to a more human like appearance.

Sooner or later, however, he's going to snap due to stress or some other factor. His demon side that he's been suppressing for years will come back with a vengance, and he will go from Devotion the calm Cleric to Phaleg the murderous Demon. His skin will turn back to his brick color, his eyes will go back to soulless orbs of black, and his horns will grow to full size. He will also turn against his party for (i'm hoping) a rather difficult encounter. How this will work, is that Phaleg will attack and try to kill his party, while the party defends himself. If they drop him down to 0 HP, then Devotion will take over again and Phaleg will stay dormant for an undetermined amount of time. If they succeed in (INSERT NUMBER HERE) Religion(?) checks, they will discover his name, and get a bonus to damage against him. Also, i think i'll roll a save at the start of Phaleg's turn, as if Devotion is fighting Phaleg back. If the check succeeds, then he'll have a -2 penalty to attack or something of the sort. I also may or may not make another saving throw after his HP drops down to 0, like a Death saving throw but seperate. If he fails these throws (Probably 3), then the stress of being taken over by Phaleg eventually kills him, even if he succeeds on his Death saving throws. Perhaps a Cleric or some other member could help him through with either a Heal or Religion check? Any suggestions on anything will be greatly appreciated here.

My question to everyone is: What's a good class to make Phaleg? I want something tanky; something that'll make a good challenge for the party and something that'll make death either party a very serious threat. As of now, Phaleg is a Paladin. But a lot of his more usefull skills are for healing allies, and not damage dealing or self-buffing. I could make a Fighter with a shield and mace, but i want Phaleg to do a damage type like Fire, Necrotic, or perhaps even Psychic. Perhaps a tweaked Avenger? As Devotion is more of a ranged Cleric, i want Phaleg to be a melee class.

Thanks in advance to everyone. 

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Are you the DM running this character as an NPC, or a player playing this character?

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

Are you the DM running this character as an NPC, or a player playing this character?

I am the player playing this character. I asked our DM if i should make a monster for Phaleg, but she told me to make a character sheet to use for that, which is why i'm asking for a class suggestion.

I am the player playing this character. I asked our DM if i should make a monster for Phaleg, but she told me to make a character sheet to use for that, which is why i'm asking for a class suggestion.

Then you should talk to your group and your DM about this. Do not spring this on them. None of the editions handle PC vs. PC combat that well, so the battle you're imagining will be awkward at best, and divisive at worst, if the DM is having to make calls in favor of one player or another. Unless everyone is absolutely on board with this, it is likely to go badly.

Then you should talk to your group and your DM about this. Do not spring this on them. None of the editions handle PC vs. PC combat that well, so the battle you're imagining will be awkward at best, and divisive at worst, if the DM is having to make calls in favor of one player or another. Unless everyone is absolutely on board with this, it is likely to go badly.

I don't mind if the DM goes against me, but i'll ask the group anyways. I'll stress the point that Phaleg is a demon, and is trying to kill everyone in the vicinity, and that there is a good chance that one of our characters will die. If Devotion dies, then that'll be a good way to go down to me. If they don't like it, then i won't do it. If they're on board, i'll plan it out with the group.

If they don't like it, then i won't do it. If they're on board, i'll plan it out with the group.

Soonds good. It's a cool idea, so I hope they're on board with it. If they are, I bet they'll find a way to make it even cooler.

In the Neverwinter Campaign Guide, there is a character theme called Devil's Pawn that gives you demonic powers. Assuming you are playing 4E, you could use your regular character and just add this theme for when he transforms. In fact, there is a lvl 10 utility power that actually transforms your character:

Pit Fiend Harbinger

Glorious pain rips through you as your skin blackens and hardens into devilish scales and great black wings, a crown of fire wreathing your brow.

Daily        Arcane, Polymorph
Minor Action      Personal

Effect: Until the end of your next turn, you gain a +2 power bonus to AC, a fly speed equal to your speed, and fire resistance equal to 5 + your level (if you already have fire resistance, increase it by 5). While this effect persists, you cannot spend healing surges, and you must make an attack on your turn each round or take damage equal to your level at the end of your turn. This damage cannot be prevented or reduced in any way.

Sustain Minor: The effect persists until the end of your next turn.

Infernal Pact: You gain 10 temporary hit points each time you sustain this power.