Why was the meta so unprepared for the Naya Humans deck?

76 posts / 0 new
Last post
Does anyone know how this deck surprised everyone? When Gatecrash was first spoiled, the hype for Burningtree Emissary was already pretty widespread. Everyone I talked to was dreaming of the perfect T1 Champion of the Parish into T2 Burningtree Emissary+Lightning Mauler. Swing for 7. Yet watching the GP this weekend, it seemed like it took everyone by surprise. I dont understand this. If this was new tech I could, but people have been playing this deck since Gatecrash was released. Why was the meta so unprepared for this?
------------------------------------------------------------- Decks that I play Legacy- Ravager Affinity Modern- Standard- RWU Flicker EDH/Commander -RWU Numot
I don't think it was so much that it took people by surprise, I think its just a good deck.

I still feel a little bad for Reid Duke.  I love Naya Humans, but my God that match was brutal.  Topdecked Searing Spear to lose game 1.  Lose to nut draw game 3.  Good thing he's Reid Duke.  Otherwise, tables would have surely been flipped.
I don't think it was so much that it took people by surprise, I think its just a good deck.

Going to have to agree.  Certain starts can just be straight up unbeatable, and even running something like 8 early answers to its threats won't guarantee you draw them early enough to matter, let alone at all.
I think it was because the old Naya Humans was a really bad deck. Like completely awful. They're finally tuned it to not be such a piece of garbage which is why it did so well. In a format such as this one I think it will be rotating between which aggro decks are the best for a while. 
The meta isn't unprepared.  This is just the best deck.

Rip up your Revelations and throw them away.  That card is hot garbage.

Yes, this is what I'm playing now.

Those who know me can count the time I've given up on brews on two fingers:

Ravager Affinity
Delver

Even during Caw, I was roflstomping with Brews.

I'm playing this now.  It's absolutely degenerate.
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.

Ravager Affinity
Delver

Try to resist the urge to jam in 4x Tibalt.

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl

Ravager Affinity
Delver

Try to resist the urge to jam in 4x Tibalt.

lol I can't stop laughing...

Ravager Affinity
Delver

I picked this deck up as well after running 0-2 drop with Boros Humans two weeks in a row.  I looked at this list and just couldn't find anything two colors was better at other than slightly more consistent mana and spell lands.

At FNM, I put a guy to 2 life on turn 3, and mind you, that was through an Azorius Charm.  I'd have had a turn 3 kill otherwise.  This is the most punishing aggro deck in the format.  Slip up at all and you just might find yourself dead or in an unwinnable board state by turn 4.  I went 5-1 that night, losing to a version of the deck running Avacyn's Pilgrim, Silverblade Paladin, and Domri Rade, so he was able to go a little bigger than me and I didn't get an explosive enough draw.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing
The deck is really fast, but to be fair, Mr. Nico got some searingly hot draws during the final rounds. In general, very good openers with Champion, Emissary. I believe it was G3 of Semis vs Reid Duke; Duke was at like 1 life but had stablizied the board with Olivia. Nico topdecks Spear for the win, but imagine if he didn't get the nut topdeck and instead Duke peels a thraggy or something--Duke wins instead.

Naya humans is really mediocre if the opener isn't top-notch; it doesn't have the late/midgame potential that BR aggro has. That said, there isn't a lot that can disrupt a nut draw on the play (take 7+ right after you play your first land). I wonder if R&D considered reprinting shock to deal with the absurd speed potential of Emmissary, Mauler. 

Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
Of course Naya Blitz smashes people; 4 Blue Sun's Zeniths with a bit of life attached does not sound like a good plan in most formats for a control deck to rely on. Midrange decks are everywhere. Why do ya'll think I've been playing BUG this whole time? Not as a parlor trick I tell ya.
More 1 cmc answers to champion and experiment would be nice. In testing the deck is far less of a threat if you can pillar or tragic slip champion or experiment when they are 1/1s. Of course you still need a rolling temblor or other sweeper spell to back it up when they refill their board thanks to emissary, but its a lot different game then.

------------------------------------------------------------- Decks that I play Legacy- Ravager Affinity Modern- Standard- RWU Flicker EDH/Commander -RWU Numot
I believe it was G3 of Semis vs Reid Duke; Duke was at like 1 life but had stablizied the board with Olivia. Nico topdecks Spear for the win, but imagine if he didn't get the nut topdeck and instead Duke peels a thraggy or something--Duke wins instead.

G1
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
More 1 cmc answers to champion and experiment would be nice. In testing the deck is far less of a threat if you can pillar or tragic slip champion or experiment when they are 1/1s. Of course you still need a rolling temblor or other sweeper spell to back it up when they refill their board thanks to emissary, but its a lot different game then.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card in standard and is seeing too little play. He's nuts against Naya Blitz. Snapcaster + any removal spell is a blowout, especially if it's of the 1-mana variety including Tragic Slip and Human Frailty among others.
times suck when crapy removal like human frailty  is even mentioned to be a possible answer to a problem in the meta game...
Human Frailty isn't a horrid sideboard card. There are a a good amount of fairly relevant targets to hit.

http://community.wizards.com/play-by-post_haven The Play-by-Post recruitment hub for the forums. Stop by, join us, and sign up for some games while you are there

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
I was playing BUG for a bit.  It's no Naya affinity.
Show
I was playing BUG for a bit.  It's no Naya affinity.

If that's your answer I'm sure you werent too invested. The more you BUG the more doors will open. I'm guessing that Burning-Tree Emissary has you infected.
I love Snapcaster =[
Show
John is many things, but he isn't a person who gives up on decks easily, nor is he one to readily play decks that run forests and/or plains.

Anyways, the problem with human frailty is that it does jack **** against decks that aren't naya humans. 

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
John is many things, but he isn't a person who gives up on decks easily, nor is he one to readily play decks that run forests and/or plains.

Anyways, the problem with human frailty is that it does jack **** against decks that aren't naya humans. 

For starters, it DOES do things against other decks, but that's not the point. The point is, the only decks you need additional removal for, particularily in the early game, are currently Human-based. It's the nut sideboard card.
Ways to kill that annoying T1 creature.

Pillar of Flame
Mugging
Dead Weight
Human Frailty
Tragic Slip
Geistflame
Forge Devil
Righteous Blow
Ghoulflesh
Guise of Fire
Crippling Blight
Electrickery

I was playing Human Frailty in my BUG SB.

Show
Why'd you give up on BUG? It had to be Emissary.
Synergy
Show
Esper is fine against anything but the nuttiest of nut draws from Naya, from what I've played against. 

(at)MrEnglish22

I've not tested against it, but I've seen it played enough. Your great hope is that you don't miss relevant Turn 2's, and that by turn 3, they aren't clearing the board with a sweeper. If neither of these things happen, you are likely to win.

I'm going to admit that right now, my current pet brew will probably lose straight out to Naya. Even with an ideal curve out, I don't think my lifegain can outpace their Aggro.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
This kind of deck is the reason that at the PT everyone was playing some midrange deck that makes quick damage bad.  What makes it good though is that it's an aggro deck that doesn't have to play a 4-drop and punishes dumb wrath-based removal packages. I'm much more excited about a meta that requires playing Pacifism and Dead Weight than one where sitting behind a wall of lifegain and drawing my opponent into oblvion is the average.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
Amazing what the lack of pyroclasm does to a format...

Also, 4CC ftw. 

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

Rolling Tremblor does the job absoloutely fine, but nobody wants to play red control decks.

(at)MrEnglish22

Also, 4CC ftw. 

Rolling Tremblor does the job absoloutely fine, but nobody wants to play red control decks.

There's a big difference between 2 and 3.
1:  Costing 3 means that sometimes they can get their experiment or champion out of range before you get the mana
2:  They can kill you before you even get a chance to cast it. 

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:

Also, 4CC ftw.

1: Costing 3 means that sometimes they can get their experiment or champion out of range before you get the mana
2: They can kill you before you even get a chance to cast it.

your still killing every other weak creature they summoned up until your 3rd turn, they keep their champion but you kill the majority of their board presence; and by turn 3 they've destroyed most of your life... isn't haste great...

Also, 4CC ftw.

1: Costing 3 means that sometimes they can get their experiment or champion out of range before you get the mana
2: They can kill you before you even get a chance to cast it.

your still killing every other weak creature they summoned up until your 3rd turn, they keep their champion but you kill the majority of their board presence; and by turn 3 they've destroyed most of your life... isn't haste great...

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention that they can giant growth to save a guy if they have extra mana.

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:
Cutting Green is just absolutely wrong. Farseek is almost necessary for control right now, and Thragtusk is about as vital.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

Cutting Green is just absolutely wrong. Farseek is almost necessary for control right now, and Thragtusk is about as vital.

That's kind of BS, if you cast your Thragtusk, or virtually any other 5 drop against Naya, you've won already. The only place to interact is with 1-3 drops, and every time you play farseek is another time you aren't playing a removal spell to stop their clocks before turn 5.  Factor in sideboarded Aurelia's Fury for them to keep you off of wrathing strategies and it becomes clear that what's vital to survive the matchup has changed. Even t2 Loxodon Smiter and Centaur Healer simply aren't enough to meatstall the board.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
So, with all the different variations with this deck, which is the best version?
I've been testing grixis control on cockatrice and I find that rolling temblor is enough for me to stabalize against all but the nuttiest draws.  That being said deck just plays so many 2/2's i would kill for pyroclasm.
I hope they print a :U::B: sweeper in DGM, mutilate  is too unreliable in a multicolor block, you have to make 16 of your lands swamps at the very least, for it to even be semi effective...

I would think esper would be good against this match up, just throw down a blind obedience  and laugh at all their hasty creatures, throw down some walls like vampire nighthawks and wipe the board as soon as possible.
Relevant shock/clasm spells being out really hurts.

Next set? We can hope!

It seems to me that 1 of 2 things are occurring at WotC (or a combination of them).
1. Control/spell based decks are being de-emphasized by printing less powerful spells
2. Midrange/aggro is being beefed up by extremely aggressive and resilient critters.

What I wouldn't do for my gut shots back :/ stupid aggro decks.

Above everything it seems as though they want to make it harder on control players, as they have had pretty easy goings for years and years now.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/12.jpg)

Whatever the deck the beats Naya ends up being, I do not believe blitz will have a very long time in the sun.  It just seems so easy to go over the top of a bunch of 2/2's.  I feel like Loxodon Smiter just laughs at all of Naya's humans.
Having tested against it for a little bit, the deck does seem a little more resilient than I first suspected. I'm going to assume the downfall of Golgari Zombie is what allows this deck to truely exist. Any significantly resilient creature deck should eventually overcome this one, even with it's nut turn 2's.

What amuses me is that Bant Enchantments probably is in a good position against the deck, with a descent speed engine, and first strike capabilities. Just splash in some Ranger's Guile for round 2, and you will be in position to swing a win.

A GB Control deck shell using something similar to Conley Woods/Sam Black designs might do okay, also. At least they'd have the removal elements.

Overall, I just want to be aware of the design, but not thing about it too much, as it leads to games of Magic that I tend not to enjoy, and Standard still has that element of having matchups that I can enjoy.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
I've been testing grixis control on cockatrice and I find that rolling temblor is enough for me to stabalize against all but the nuttiest draws.  That being said deck just plays so many 2/2's i would kill for pyroclasm.

I stopped reading after "I've been testing... ...on cockatrice"

Show
139359831 wrote:
166199665 wrote:
Sign In to post comments