Help Needed: Changing from Ranger to Leader

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, in the Eberron campaign I play in, there's a player who is changing characters. She's changing from being the cleric to being a defender, leaving us leaderless. I am willing to take on the part of the leader, and the option is there to do anything I want with my character, the DM said. Currently we are in the astral sea, so anything is possible, I'm sure, storywise to explain this.  Below is my character, currently a ranger, for referrence. Please advise me how to make her some kind of decent leader, or if it's even possible. She hasn't used her dragonmark much, so I'm not opposed of getting rid of that if need be. Thanks so much for the help

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Phaedra Volar/Drayel d'Medani, level 20
Half-Elf, Ranger, Medani Trueseer
Build: Archer Ranger
Fighting Style Option: Hunter Fighting Style
Ranger Option: Prime Shot
Half-Elf Power Selection Option: Dilettante
Associate: Trained Fey Panther
Xen'drik (+2 to Nature)
Theme: Fey Beast Tamer

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 11, CON 13, DEX 22, INT 9, WIS 23, CHA 12

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 10, DEX 17, INT 8, WIS 16, CHA 11

AC: 35 Fort: 28 Ref: 31 Will: 30
HP: 130 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 32

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +21, Dungeoneering +21, Nature +23, Perception +29, Stealth +26, Thievery +21

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +9, Athletics +10, Bluff +11, Diplomacy +13, Endurance +11, Heal +16, History +9, Insight +22, Intimidate +15, Religion +9, Streetwise +11

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Hunter's Quarry Power: Hunter's Quarry
Seeker Attack 1: Biting Swarm
Ranger Attack 1: Twin Strike
Ranger Attack 1: Fading Strike
Ranger Attack 1: Singular Shot
Ranger Utility 2: Stalker's Mist
Ranger Utility 6: Healing Lore
Ranger Attack 7: Spikes of the Manticore
Ranger Attack 9: Attacks on the Run
Ranger Utility 10: Root Gate
Medani Trueseer Attack 11: Medani True Strike
Medani Trueseer Utility 12: Medani Foretelling
Ranger Attack 15: Confounding Arrows
Ranger Utility 16: Stalker's Senses
Ranger Attack 17: Pounding Barrage
Ranger Attack 19: Surprising Arrow Stance
Medani Trueseer Attack 20: Disruptive Premonition

FEATS
Quick Draw
Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Greatbow)
Level 2: Bow Expertise
Level 4: Lethal Hunter
Level 6: Weapon Focus (Bow)
Level 8: Mark of Detection
Level 10: Armor Finesse
Level 11: Distant Advantage
Level 12: Sneak of Shadows
Level 14: Treetop Sniper
Level 16: Alertness
Level 18: Danger Sense
Level 20: Toughness

ITEMS
Scimitar
Adventurer's Kit
Arrows
Lifedrinker Scimitar +1
Travel Papers
Identification Papers with Portrait
Eavesdropper's Foil
Scry Trap
Banish Illusions
Magic Greatbow +4 x1
Ritual Book
Steadfast Amulet +4 x1
Sylvan Earthhide Armor +3
Climber's Kit
Bracers of Archery (paragon tier) x1
Endless Quiver
Hood of the Wolf x1
Feytouched Feyhide Armor +4 x1
Solitaire (Aquamarine)
Gloves of Ice (epic tier) x1
Elven Chain Shirt (paragon tier)
Ring of Action Reversal x1
Greater Ring of Invisibility x1
Horreb Ritual Cube
====== End ======

I won't be able to help you much, but some information that would help:

What are the other characters in the party?
Have you looked into warlord or bard?
What other functions do you need to fulfill? Are you the party scout for example? 
Going from striker to leader seems like a step backwards to me.
How does the team benefit from this ranger being exchanged for a leader?

What does the rest of the team look like, so that we can best advice you what leader to bring?

Are you open to a change in race, stats, background, theme, gear, etc ?
Do you want to remain ranged, is melee an option ?     
A reasonably straightforward way would be to become a Ranger|Leader hybrid who mostly focuses on being the kind of Ranger you are now rather than on the Leader qualities. So Ranger|Lazy Warlord or Ranger|Wis Cleric as examples.
If healing is what you want, go hybrid Ranger|Cleric. You've got the WIS for it. You should remain ranged and put more of your powers and feats towards healing. You can take a multiclass feat which gives you another healing word to use daily: Sentinel Initiate. You could powers such as Resurgent Strength, Word of Vigor, Divine Power, Stream of Life, Spirit of Healing. You could even consider taking Healer's Lore if healing is your main concern and you're confident you can keep from being targeted.

Here's a Bow Cleric guide: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Ranger|Cleric is one of the most effective, easiest to build hybrids out there.  And it patches the melee ranger's AC very nicely.  There are a number of Strength Cleric powers to choose from, and some excellent choices too.  By Paragon, you can pick up some extra healing if you find your party needs it.  And some Ranger powers even have a Leader bent to them, like Lashing Leaves.

Ranger|Warlord is also a more aggressive choice, depending on party composition.  If you've got other people who can make basic attacks, I would consider this over Ranger|Cleric.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
Ranger|Cleric is one of the most effective, easiest to build hybrids out there.  And it patches the melee ranger's AC very nicely.  There are a number of Strength Cleric powers to choose from, and some excellent choices too. 

Except this is not a melee ranger, and the PC has no strength
Ranger|Cleric is one of the most effective, easiest to build hybrids out there.  And it patches the melee ranger's AC very nicely.  There are a number of Strength Cleric powers to choose from, and some excellent choices too. 

Which is why she should stick to ranged. Ranged Cleric|Ranger's are better at the Cleric part anyway.
Ranger|Cleric is great, but it's a STR|WIS melee build. If you want to keep some continuity to the character, I'd second the Ranger|Warlord suggestion. You can keep your bow and low strength and just take enabling powers. Warlord also allows you to pick up an extra heal via Fight On, which is nice for hybrid leaders.

It does depend a lot on your party though, and whether or not you're trying to turn your existing character into a leader, or just chucking it out for a whole new one.
and the option is there to do anything I want with my character, the DM said. Currently we are in the astral sea, so anything is possible, I'm sure, storywise to explain this.

Ranged Cleric|Ranger means you're splitting attack stats between Dexterity and Wisdom, as co-primaries.

Melee Cleric|Ranger lets you go full Strength with Wisdom as a secondary.

What does the rest of the party look like?

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?

And as i have found recently that it is pretty hard to combo a Ranged Ranger|Warlord unless you have a STR/DEX boosting race to start with. Ranged Ranger|Lazylord could work but...
Your stats are already not optimal for being a ranged ranger so you could try to go for a Ranger|Shaman w/ 17DEX/15+2WIS/13+2CON and get the bow as an implement and throw a MC Seeker in for a smidge of control.(The last bit is for fun and none of this will be optimal, i think, but what do i know i'm not really an optimizer so...)
Ranger|Cleric is great, but it's a STR|WIS melee build. If you want to keep some continuity to the character, I'd second the Ranger|Warlord suggestion. You can keep your bow and low strength and just take enabling powers. Warlord also allows you to pick up an extra heal via Fight On, which is nice for hybrid leaders.

It does depend a lot on your party though, and whether or not you're trying to turn your existing character into a leader, or just chucking it out for a whole new one.

Ranger|Cleric does not have to be a STR|WIS build at all. It can be DEX|WIS as co-primaries with an implement bow.

And as i have found recently that it is pretty hard to combo a Ranged Ranger|Warlord unless you have a STR/DEX boosting race to start with. Ranged Ranger|Lazylord could work but...

Vengeance is Mine is a fine power for a Ranged Ranger|Warlord - someone hits you, you shoot them and then your melee ally moves up and swats them as a reaction. The Utilities are again, fine. Exhorted Counterattack is a solid daily choice for a 20th level character.

There really shouldn't be any problem making them work.

Vengeance is Mine is a fine power for a Ranged Ranger|Warlord - someone hits you, you shoot them and then your melee ally moves up and swats them as a reaction. The Utilities are again, fine. Exhorted Counterattack is a solid daily choice for a 20th level character.

There really shouldn't be any problem making them work.

I really like the combo of Ranged Ranger|Warlord. The Bow or throw lord has really nice enabling powers in heroic but i don't know about paragon and epic . Definetly not up to snuff with a melee lord but comboing TS with Create Opportunity is pretty sweet.

A melee version would work best more than likely though. 

Ranger|Cleric does not have to be a STR|WIS build at all. It can be DEX|WIS as co-primaries with an implement bow.

And what ranged cleric powers would you say makes this a strong build?

Ranger|Cleric is rated so highly because the STR powers complement Ranger melee powers perfectly. It would still be okay as a ranged build, but only because Ranger and Cleric are both beastly hybrids. You can do a lot better if you want to stay back.
Ranger|Cleric is rated so highly because the STR powers complement Ranger melee powers perfectly. It would still be okay as a ranged build, but only because Ranger and Cleric are both beastly hybrids. You can do a lot better if you want to stay back.

Death Surge is great as an encounter, divine reprisal as a daily. Even if you miss with Death Surge, you get benefits to your next attack roll.

It is not really a ranged build at all - it has got a base AC of 20 at 1st level with Hide/Dex 20/Wis 16/Battle Cleric's Lore. It can be in the forefront of every battle.

And what ranged cleric powers would you say makes this a strong build?

Uhmm, every single non-weapon and wisdom implement power, or which there are many great ones, for example the healing related ones I mentioned earlier.
All of those powers mean you're not using Twin Strike. So why even be |Ranger? Spending a standard to heal someone and MC Sentinel for a daily heal are not exactly optimized choices.

MwaO makes a better point, but I still don't see it standing up to something like |Warlord.
I was talking about encounter and daily powers. Of course you're twin striking when you're not using them. What the hell dude.
So was I... maybe you need to check out the Ranger handbook. Rangers and |Rangers Twin Strike all day. They pick minor action and off-action encounters so that they can do so. If you want to cast Bane or something, don't bother being half Ranger.
Not seeing much in the way of minor/immediate archer-usable powers, and the guy talking about implement powers was also talking about a ranged ranger|cleric.
So was I... maybe you need to check out the Ranger handbook. Rangers and |Rangers Twin Strike all day. They pick minor action and off-action encounters so that they can do so. If you want to cast Bane or something, don't bother being half Ranger.

You still have access to your ranger powers, you just cherry pick the cleric ones most beneficial to your party as a leader, especially if you want healing. Not seeing your point. If you wanted to maximize nova you wouldn't be considering hybridizing into Cleric as a ranged ranger. But if you needed a leader with a bit more muscle, it's a great choice for ranged. Many of the cleric's leader powers are minors.

You still have access to your ranger powers, you just cherry pick the cleric ones most beneficial to your party as a leader, especially if you want healing. Not seeing your point. If you wanted to maximize nova you wouldn't be considering hybridizing into Cleric as a ranged ranger. But if you needed a leader with a bit more muscle, it's a great choice for ranged. Many of the cleric's leader powers are minors.

I think if you're going Ranger|Cleric, the point is that you're attempting to be a more heavily defended Striker who happens to heal and hit things more easily. If you're going Ranger|Lazy Warlord, the point is to be a Striker who heals and enables for more damage.

The one big issue is that Combat Commander triggers off of just Cha and Int, not Wis, where Cleric has more issues with the powers. I think the Cleric is the easier hybrid and the Warlord the more complicated one. If comfortable with complexity, go Warlord. If not, go Cleric.
Ranger|Bard works pretty well too... Grab Rhyme of the Bloodseeking Blade and Arrow of Warning as the mandatory Bard powers (though you might find some minor action Bard Daily attack powers to be better than Ranger daily attacks as well), and spam twin strike and other ranger powers to your heart's content. A Majestic Word and a Revitalizing Incantation every encounter is decent healing for a hybrid, you could complement it with maybe a MC feat, or a few items for emergency healing like a Healer's Sash. You could even stay half-elf, the character wouldn't have to change all that much (though undead half-elf may be mechanically better if you're fine refluffing as needed).
Wow! Thanks for all the replies! 

Right now I am leaning toward a Prec. Bard/Ranger Or Prec Bard/Cleric (why? I love being the perception queen & using a bow)

Here's the rest of the party:

Lvl 18 Shade Rogue
Lvl 18 Eladrin Wizard, Enigmatic Mage
Lvl 19 Warforged Fighter
Lvl 19 Warden
Lvl 17 Longtooth Shifter Fighter (Slayer) 
Lvl 18 Halfling Fighter of some type

A Ranger|Bard really might not be too bad if you are allowed to rework your stats to Dex/Cha. 

There are plenty of good basic attacks in your party.  If one or two of your mates are willing to take Agile Opportunist you could do a lot of easy enabling while still spamming Twin Strike.  Bard has plenty of off-turn attacks to pick from, and if you can find a Weapon of Speed, the Dimensional Step line is a great match for it.   Bard also offers plenty of healing, but it looks like at least half your party is rolling in scale with sheilds available so that shouldn't even be much of an issue.
If you have 6 people already and none of them are leaders, you're in desperate need of a strait leader, don't diminish your healing potential by Hybriding (even Leader|Leader). I'm in strong disagreement with pete about how sturdy that party is, outside the Wizard the party is burst-bait and while vs Ref attacks aren't the heavy status carriers (typically), they are full of anti-melee prone/prone/slow; special sadface for shade rogue . Basically bravelord, taclord, or valbard are your good choices.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
If you have 6 people already and none of them are leaders, you're in desperate need of a strait leader, don't diminish your healing potential by Hybriding (even Leader|Leader). I'm in strong disagreement with pete about how sturdy that party is, outside the Wizard the party is burst-bait and while vs Ref attacks aren't the heavy status carriers (typically), they are full of anti-melee prone/prone/slow; special sadface for shade rogue . Basically bravelord, taclord, or valbard are your good choices.

Yeah, I know that we have probably one of the least optimized parties in existance. After playing with this all night, I think I'm going to kill this one off and start at 18 like the newbies in our party with an optimized pure leader, no hybrid anything. I'm leaning toward a Kalashtar Pre-Bard or Templar at the moment, but I wasn't happy with any of the options I tried. I need optimum, not workable. Cool 
Good Leader with Good Perception that uses a bow? Killswitch.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
I "second" the Killswitch motion :P.
Sign In to post comments