Books you'd recommend for an essentials game?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
We've decided to go against the seemingly conventional wisdom, and try an essentials game.
That said, I honestly find the world of 4e books to be confusing as heck now.
What other books/accessories would be cleanly, simply and without any confusion boons to the endeaver?

I know my core 4e books are technically compatible, but part of the impetus for this experiment is that I have a whole gaggle of new players who've never played before and my core books don't have any of the errata. I don't want to waste any time or energy confusing new players by explaining what is and isn't in the books.
I'm assuming they haven't re-released the core books with updated info, but maybe other books make essentials more interesting without forcing me to bring a laptop to the gaming table? It might be good to know even just for future adventures when players get a bit more experience.

I apologize btw, because I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times, but I  have trouble finding it in a search. 
A few guidelines for using the internet: 1. Mentally add "In my opinion" to the end of basically anything someone else says. Of course it's their opinion, they don't need to let you know. You're pretty smart. 2. Assume everyone means everything in the best manner they could mean it. Save yourself some stress and give people the benefit of the doubt. We'll all be happier if we type less emoticons. 3. Don't try to read people's minds. Sometimes people mean exactly what they say. You probably don't know them any better than they know themselves. 4. Let grammar slide. If you understood what they meant, you're good. It's better for your health. 5. Breath. It's just a dumb game.
From the Essentials line of 10 products i'd suggest going with;

Rule Compendium
DM Kit
Monster Vaults
Heroes of Fallen Lands 
Heroes of Forgotten Kingdom

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

From the Essentials lines of 10 products i'd suggest going with;

Rule Compendium
DM Kit
Monster Vaults
Heroes of Fallen Lands 
Heroes of Forgotten Kingdom

This is exactly what I have so far.
A few guidelines for using the internet: 1. Mentally add "In my opinion" to the end of basically anything someone else says. Of course it's their opinion, they don't need to let you know. You're pretty smart. 2. Assume everyone means everything in the best manner they could mean it. Save yourself some stress and give people the benefit of the doubt. We'll all be happier if we type less emoticons. 3. Don't try to read people's minds. Sometimes people mean exactly what they say. You probably don't know them any better than they know themselves. 4. Let grammar slide. If you understood what they meant, you're good. It's better for your health. 5. Breath. It's just a dumb game.
Ok then, i'd consider these post-Essentials release;

Monster Vaults: Threat to the Nentir Vale
Mordenkainen Magnificient Emporium
Heroes of the Feywild
Heroes of Elemental Chaos
Heroes of Shadow

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Great suggestions, PS. I came here to suggest those very things.

Personally I think that:

• Monster Vault

• Rules Compendium

• Heroes of the Fallen Lands

• Heroes fo the Forgotten Kingdoms

Are some of the best published 4e books out there. The others really expand upon your options and can help fill out a game.

Good luck and happy gaming! 
Since you already have the same things Plaguescarred mentioned the first time, I'd suggest his second list, with the caveat that you probably don't need/want Heroes of Shadow (a few interesting ideas but most of it is painfully bad).  Feywild is a lot of fun, and Elemental Chaos opens up some interesting options, including a useful ranged essentials striker. 
RC + MV1 or MV2.

Everything else can be found via a search engine. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
We've decided to go against the seemingly conventional wisdom, and try an essentials game.
That said, I honestly find the world of 4e books to be confusing as heck now.
What other books/accessories would be cleanly, simply and without any confusion boons to the endeaver? 

That was kinda the point of Essentials, to make getting started a simpler matter.  It didn't work so well, but:

The Essentials books are very easy to spot, they're smaller soft-cover books and say "Essentials" somewhere on them.  All 3 books that are sold individually - Heroes of the Fallen Land, Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdom, and the Rules Compendium - are worth having.  The first two are the books for players, with races and classes, the third is an all-inclusive reference manual.  

Two more books are hidden in boxed sets:  The DM Kit and Monster Vault.  The Monster Vault is essential (unlike about half the Essentials products), it gives you stuff for you players to fight.  The DM Kit is supposed to be helpful to the new DM, too, and contains some rules/guidelines the DM will need that aren't in the RC.

That's it.  The other 5 Essentials products are at best 'nice to have.'  3 tile sets you can use to create play surfaces, a set of dice if you don't already have some, and the Starter Set, which is designed for really novice players who have no idea what an RPG might be, but is otherwise redundant.

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

• Monster Vault: Threats to the Nentir Vale

• Monster Manual 3

• Mordenkainen Magnificient Emporium

That's about the extent to what I'd recommend. If you've got the Essentials line, the group should have plenty of stuff to work with, save perhaps monsters and magic items. I still think having the original Player's Handbook (plus errata) around for the Ritual chapter & original classes would be handy, though.
4e D&D is not a "Tabletop MMO." It is not Massively Multiplayer, and is usually not played Online. Come up with better descriptions of your complaints, cuz this one means jack ****.

The Character builder.