That Awkward Moment When You're Having A Fairly Even Casual Match...

38 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok, so at this point in our game, the board's a bit clogged up. Seems like he's playing ... good stuff? Couldn't really pick out a theme. Had Predator Ooze with Rancor, Sigarda, Host of Herons, Serra Ascendant and Phytohydra, and Gideon Jura.

I'm playing Birthing Pod/Mimic Vat, and have 2 Wall of Blossoms, Birds of Paradise, Elderscale Wurm (pretty much only thing keeping me alive against the Ooze), Mimic Vat with Eternal Witness underneath and 2 Birthing Pods, as well as Sundial of the Infinite. Using Sundial to stop the turn early, to prevent a free, easy kill on the Wurm. He's got one card in hand.

He draws, plays a land, then Wheel of Fortune. As usual, seeing a vintage card in casual I grumble. Vintage cards have no place there. Yes, it's the deck's power level as a whole that mostly determine whether or not a deck is fine for a casual meta. But virtually every vintage-only card has a power level that's higher than is required in casual - there are perfectly adequate legacy versions of most, if not all effects. In any case, of course in his new clutch he draws into Wrath of God, and seeing as I don't have the mana to activate Mimic Vat (assuming I imprint Elderscale onto it), I lose.

I would've had no issue had he topdecked Wrath of God. Or Harmonize. Or Soul's Majesty. But Wheel of Fortune... every time a player plays a vintage card in casual, a kitten dies.

/endvent 
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
^^ sux

My group sticks to modern And newer for cards.
I could understand this attitude if you lost to a Power 9 driven Storm deck on turn 1, but a $10 Wheel of Fortune? How much would you pay for a shockland, or just about any modern Planeswalker? Thragtusk? Cavern of Souls? Would those cards be acceptable in your "casual" game? You're only upset cause you don't own the same cards. No pity from me. Casual MTG is NOT gimp Magic.

/endrant

I must have killed a lot of kittens. I once had a casual deck that was something along the lines of:

2 Mox Emerald
3 Channel
8 Blastoderm
5 Verdant Force
6 Rhox
3 Sol Ring
6 Berserk
4 Llanowar Elves...
Some Forests...

It gets hazy from there. Yes, those numbers are accurate. Fat dudes and fast mana. The deck was a ton of fun, and it didn't just steamroll people. I kinda wish I didnt trade out my second emerald, and instead got more emeralds for this deck. The point is: I played what I wanted with what I had and I didn't make something oppressive. People actually wanted to play against this speeding train wreck.
Level 2 Magic Judge Lite a man a fire, warm him for a day. Light a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
Rules are there to keep the game in check. Otherwise just run 30-40 black lotus and 20 or so draw/ storm cards.

Point being you can play anyway you like, sure. I just find agreeing to a format as a casual playgroup to be the only way to keep things in check.
^^This

Unless you agree to a format, any card is fair game, and there's little room for complaining. There's even less room if you're playing some random guy you don't know and have never played against. Find other people who are willing, for good reason, to restrict themselves to a certain format.
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
but where DID the other fork come from?
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
Explosive Peanut Lightning lands. Well, that's just what I call them.
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
And so the pot met the kettle.
Not to dredge up an old argument but, imo, casual is just non-sanctioned. The groups I play with use the Vintage b/r, and if you choose to use to use something other than the most powerful variant of a card for whatever reason, that's up to you. I fully understand that playgroups differ and the definition of casual varies wildly but, as far as I'm concerned, if you don't lay out limitations that prevent the use of certain cards, you shouldn't take issue with them being used.

And like Sacrifice said, Wheel of Fortune? Really?
IMAGE(http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/225/8/9/bloodgift_demon_sig_banner_by_voidelemental-d46gjhm.jpg)
Wheel is only restricted because of the,
20 mountain
32 lightning bolt (8 playsets of lightning bolt clones)
4 fireblast
4 wheel of fortune

Outside of that degenerate situation it is perfectly well balanced.

Our casual group is even more permissive then just stay within the vintage restricted list. We will let you go outside it with prior approval since most of the time the easiest way to let new players compete is just to let them play 4 sol rings or such.

Power =/= cost or age. Several turn 2 aggro decks have been in standard RECENTLY, while turn 3 has always been common. Modern bans dark depths for a reason, it can produce a turn 2 20/20 indestructible creature every card from recent sets. (dark depths, urborg, tomb of yawgmoth, vampire hexmage).

People complaining about age are, always really complaining about power level, and frankly those people should just go play standard until they are ready to take the training wheels off.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Your only option is "please don't do that". 
Either the other guy doesn't do that, or simply goes away to play against someone else.  It may appear to be a win-win, but you've chased away potiential play about half of the time.
Would it have felt any better if he had drawn into a miracle Reforge the Soul and cast the same effect for 1 less mana? Or even if he had cast a non-miracle one?

I understand not wanting to see Legacy cards in casual games, but Wheel of Fortune really wasn't that bad. If you had said Balance, I would have agreed. But would you have a problem with seeing someone play Fork instead of Reverberate? I can't see holding the age of a card as important if there's not an obvious power level discrepancy.
skeindubh Thats why I just dont care any more, I have the cards I am going to use them, thats magic.

I am tired of building sub optimal decks, if I got some power(not p9) to it Im going to use it. 
And if I did have power 9 I would constrain it to a single deck.
Decks I play
Show
Legacy TezzFinityLegacy BurnModern Infect(need to break it) T2-dead
[sblock]
57307308 wrote:
Yes, but DOES HE PEE COLOURLESS MANA?
144543765 wrote:
144018173 wrote:
Serra Angel Serra Sphinx Serra Spider Though Vigilance is a poor fit for red, so I'm not sure if we'll ever see Serra Dragon. I could see Serra Demon, though.
Black Serra creature would have vigilance and fear. It would basically be Batman.
[//sblock]
People complaining about age are, always really complaining about power level, and frankly those people should just go play standard until they are ready to take the training wheels off.

+1 and a cookie for you, sir.

Standard. Training wheels. I almost snarfed my chocolate milk.  
magic with no/few restrictions is either vintage or retarded magic. use of vintage only cards in casual means ugly halfassed decks riding on the back of stupidly powerful cards that are relatively cheap because the vintage scene is pretty small.

id absolutely hate to play in a meta where every deck had a sol ring or four.

casual adheres to legacy restrictions, the alternative is just sad imo.
the beauty of this game is balance, why would you **** it up by throwing balance out the window?
magic with no/few restrictions is either vintage or retarded magic. use of vintage only cards means ugly halfassed decks riding on the back of stupidly powerful cards that are relatively cheap because the vintage scene is pretty small.

the beauty of this game is balance, why would you **** it up by throwing balance out the window? 

pml your serious right?
Decks I play
Show
[sblock]
57307308 wrote:
144543765 wrote:
144018173 wrote:
Serra Angel Serra Sphinx Serra Spider Though Vigilance is a poor fit for red, so I'm not sure if we'll ever see Serra Dragon. I could see Serra Demon, though.
Black Serra creature would have vigilance and fear. It would basically be Batman.
[//sblock]
magic with no/few restrictions is either vintage or retarded magic. use of vintage only cards means ugly halfassed decks riding on the back of stupidly powerful cards that are relatively cheap because the vintage scene is pretty small.

pml your serious right?

No, I would imagine he's quite serious...Tongue Out
Standard is actually a lot harder IMO that vintage/legacy. Here's why.

Standard is constantly evolving, with an ever shifting metagame that takes constant adjustment. Some of the games best players are in type 2, and they, as well as I, would think that it takes a great level of searching, testing, and skill to figure out the meta calls.

Legacy/vintage...is beyond stagnant. Every deck is known. Every proper sideboard is known. Sure JTMS and snappy mix up lists every now and then. But mostly it doesn't change.

How is that a challenge compared to the card whirlwind of standard?
To me, the challenge is to choose a dozen or so cards, out of 13,000(ISH), that is a CREATIVE answer to all those cookie-cutter decks. If you want to win a tournament, it's not much of a challenge (as long as you know HOW to play) to pick up a list off the 'net, except to your wallet, which applies to ANY format. The challenge is create something new and different that will excite and make people raise an eyebrow. To find that deck that ISN'T known yet. Or find the deck that steps outside the box enough to confuse and confound the cookie-cutters, and while they're trying to figure out how to deal with the mess that's in front of them, you just win. 

My biggest problem with Standard is that once you pick a color and archtype, half your deck is already chosen for you, due to the limited amount of good, efficient cards in the card pool. Want to build a Boros deck? 6 or 7 of your cards are already chosen for you, and you're not gonna be competitive without them. I don't disagree that the excitement of the too-fast rotating Standard environment is a challenge to keep up with, it's just not as much FUN to me. So it just comes down to what individuals prefer. Beyond that, it's how individuals PERCEIVE the challenges in this game and which ones they enjoy tackling.

You're not wrong about anything. But it's only one point of view, as is mine. To each his own. I think it comes down to that stepping outside the box. If you can't do it, then Standard is more appealing, because the box is more easily defined. There's only so many good cards in the Standard cardpool. If you can ditch the box, then the vast cardpool of the older formats is more appealing. More room for creativity. It's an individuals choice, and there are very different challenges inherent to both.
t2 is whoever has the biggest stick wins.
It just like modern is a creature  format.

Just as boring, vintage and legacy are 2 very different animals just like modern and standard, t1/1.5 is a format where you have to think. You cant just dump creatures and durdle accrost the board.
Decks I play
Show
[sblock]
57307308 wrote:
144543765 wrote:
144018173 wrote:
[//sblock]
Sorry I haven't checked this since I posted. It was primarily a vent I needed to make, because it happens a *lot* on the forbidden program - probably, because, you're playing against a range of players, and many of them aren't quite yet aware of power level.

Honestly, and while I can't convince anyone of this, I'm being totally genuine and sincere here - I would not have had an issue if he had won in any other fashion. If he had drawn any other card draw to dig him into that Wrath of God, or even topdecked the Wrath of God itself, I would have had no reason to complain. However, what got him over the line was a vintage only card that always costs (ie. doesn't only cost that much via miracle), and can potentially get up to +7 card advantage on its own (hint: Timetwister, one of the power 9, generates the same potential level of CA).

The reason I go with legacy restrictions (sans Force of Will, which is pretty much the only legacy card I have an issue with in casual, unless the playgroup its contained within has a large number of combo decks) is pretty simple in the end: vintage is just a more hardcore version of legacy. Virtually every card that's banned in legacy is banned because of power level, and virtually all of those cards have equivalents at a much fairer mana cost. Demonic Tutor, Balance, Wheel of Fortune - insanely powerful cards, but there are legacy legal options which tone down the power level enough to be casual friendly (Grim Tutor, Reforge the Soul, Restore Balance). Of course, it all comes down to opinion, but I'm of the opinion that if you want so much power in your decks that you're including vintage-only cards, then you're probably getting too competitive for casual. After all, vintage is just hardcore legacy.

While I'll accept that some people disagree with my opinion of what constitutes a casual deck, I personally think it's very fair. It allows for a wide range of decks, and even some very powerful decks (which doesn't help the main issue in casual - power disparity), while still falling under a definitive set of guidelines that one can go back to if someone questions the casualness of their deck. The hardest guideline to explain on the spot is "the deck is not competitive in any format that it's legal for", and really that comes down to asking someone questioning the deck to show you a significant tournament result for the deck, or a decklist that is very similar.
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
where I used to play, if you played any deck that was super powerful or won off the back of overpowered cards like Wheel of Fortune, people simply wouldn't play you.  

See, the cool thing about casual, is you get to choose who/what you play against, where in a competetive environment you can't jsut say "I hate playing that deck, play something else." If you don't like someone's deck, don't play against it.  Pretty simple IMO.

I don't have any super powerful decks, but I do have decks that got "banned" in our circle for being too annoying/powerful compared to the other decks in my playgroup.  Sometimes people just don't want to play against certain types of decks too, like most new players don't want to play against a control deck, etc.

I mean, no one would complain if I were to drop, say, a Bitterblossom or a Thragtusk, or even a shockland, but it's their choice if they want to play me again after I drop those kinds of cards. That's the beauty of casual, no one's making you play anyone.  You can stop playing anytime you want
In my group, when someone has a powerful deck, we all try to make our's better able to combat it, or just make a new deck. Nobody really cares if a card is from the mid 90s (we do look at banded cards), so long as it's a running deck we'll play it. I still haven't been able to constitantly beat my buddies elf deck, but I'll still play it.
This is casual right? Many years ago, when I started playing (1994), I played against P9 or decks with dual lands and I sucked it up and then there were only (relatively) a handful of cards. We played in shops and no one ever asked what format are you playing? We simply got on with it. All play was casual outside tournaments.

Now, there are thousands of cards, I always get asked what of a myriad formats my deck is (they are casual, I play with the cards I have, using type 1 B/R) so I tell them kitchen table vintage since I have old cards. And they play or not, usually play because they get a kick out of seeing some of the old cards in action. Truth is most of the new cards are so much more broken than anything I board but a balance sure does shake it up!

When did mtg become so format snobby? If you ask me it's just sore losing. I didn't win because of a wheel of fortune? Hell, back in the day that card was ho hum if you pulled it, you rolled your eyes and wished you hadn't wasted the dosh on the booster.
Except these days, the potential of a +7 CA card for 3 mana in one color with very low commitment is huge, with how powerful cards in general are (go go power creep). While I agree that the power level of the deck as a whole is the most important factor, there are two things here:

1) a well constructed deck doesn't have a bunch of weak cards, pulled to 'decency' by some absurdly powerful cards. If you construct your deck well you shouldn't need vintage only cards.
2) a deck that already consists almost entirely of good/great cards doesn't need the addition of very powerful cards like Wheel of Fortune. As I believe I mentioned in my OP, the only 'bad' card I saw the opponent play was Life Burst. Everything else was, at the least, solid. 
Wheel is not overpowered, it should not be restricted in the first place. It is NOT as good as reforge the soul and here you are saying it is better. that is just flat out wrong.

Reforge is the better card, it is more powerful and has a wider application. brainstorm and scroll rack make sure of it. Not only is it cheaper to actually cast, it can be used in the other guys turn which lets you have the mana you would have used for the wheel to be used on 3 burn spells instead.

A wheel/burn deck is better with reforge then it ever was with wheel. It was never competitive in vintage as a deck type. It is only restricted as a legacy. Complaining about an unpowerful card is just silly.

You can make a real wheel burn btter then the one that caused the old wheel to get restricted and do so while staying completely legacy legal.

4 lightning bolt
4 chain lightning
4 brainstorm
4 reforge the soul
4 bonfire of the damned
4 thunderous wrath
4 temporal mastery
4 disrupt or gitaxian probe
2 Gustha's Scepter
2 fireblast
2 shield sphere
1 elixir of immortality
1 scroll rack

4 volcanic island
4 steam vents
4 scalding tarn
4 mountain
4 island
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Wheel is better, IMO. Reforge requires either a) luck, or b) additional cards in order to make it one mana cheaper. Wheel always costs 3.

I'd be interested to hear your reasons that a 1 mana saving some of the time that is dependent on points a and/or b is better than a 2 mana saving the rest of the time. 
Firstly, you think too much. Have fun. 

Secondly, are you suggesting that all us old timers simply bench all our old cards, which we have spent years collecting I might add, so casual can be kept as some poor man's format?

My opinion is that the focus on tournaments and their formats has created this expectation of fair and unfair cards and probably even created the stupid prices some of my cards are worth. It's a vicious cycle.
Poor mans format?! Alpha tundra averages what? $1100 USD? Man Idk what richie rich boyz y'all play with, but if I run a 3 color deck, that could be 12k in just original dual lands! If that's chump change and us "poor men" should just deal...well damn, send me a freebie or 2!
Hey, if you've got them, run them. I'd love to see some of those old cards again.

If you had them from the beginning they didn't cost 1k each, you probably won them as Ante. I wasn't around for Alpha but I have plenty of Revised which the 'boyz' I play with don't but they still whip out playsets of big buck cards they have from swapping and pulling them from boosters. And if they beat me when I have my duals in play they hang it on me and shuffle for the next game.

I'll go back to my initial point casual should be fun not professional. If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

I'll go back to my initial point casual should be fun not professional. If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong.

A million times this.  Just talk it over with your playgroup.

What worked for us was to divide our decks into "Tier 1" and "Tier 2" categories (each of us has between 10 and 24 decks each).

Tier 1 decks include cards like Necropotence, Glimpse the Unthinkable, Vengevine, Thragtusk, Arcbound Ravager, Sol Ring... basically any power card you can think of.  These games tend to become degenerate pretty fast due to the sheer number of power plays.  For example, a friend put out 32 Plants with Avenger of Zendikar (he had 2 Parallel Lives out) intending to boost them the following turn, only to have me follow it up with Demonic Tutor => Pyroclasm.  As you can probably tell, we don't adhere to any of the banned / restricted lists set by WOTC - the only rules we really have are "either a maximum of two colored-mana-producing artifact lands or up to four Darksteel Citadel per deck" and "no planeswalkers except in Commander".

Tier 2 is anything not in tier 1, which typically end up being budget builds or decks that showcase a novel combo.

So before our group starts playing a given game, we just agree on what kind of match we want to have and it usually works out pretty well.  Blowouts aren't fun for either side.

My EDH decks:

Erebos ()

Damia ()

Ghave ()

Sliver Overlord ()

Well, I guess this is a good example of what happens when an evolving game turns multi-generational...
Yep.

Whenever I play casually, anything goes. Buddy of mine still has this obscene Buried Alive/Nether Shadow/Ashen Ghoul/Necropotence deck that wrecks anything else we play, but its a great benchmark and its funny as hell to watch him play it.

The old days of magic were pretty nuts. 
My group plays anything goes in casual.  We have guys like myself who have dual lands from when we first pulled them, and most of the old stuff everyone here has mentioned, and we have guys who don't.  We basically have a "don't be a d***, (at least not on a regular basis)" rule.  When playing against new people, or people we don't know, then we play our standard, or newer block set decks.  Now if we have a new guy who comes in talking a bunch of smack, we may do fun things like put [C]Elvish Piper[/C] on the board turn one, but no one ever really gets upset about what we play.
My Decks
Show
UR Counter Burn
Show
Creatures - 16 Spells - 19 [deck] 4 Cryptic Command 4 Incendiary Command 4 Cancel 4 Unsummon 3 Banefire [/deck] Planeswalkers - 3 [deck]3 Chandra Nalaar[/deck] Lands - 22 [deck] 7 Island 5 Mountain 4 Cascade Bluffs 4 Reflecting Pool 2 Sulfur Falls [/deck] Sideboard - 15 [deck] 3 Swerve 3 Boomerang 3 Oona's Gatewarden 3 Twincast 3 Mirror Sheen [/deck]
Boros
Show
Creatures - 23 [deck] 4 Champion of the Parish 3 Legion Loyalist 3 Daring Skyjek 3 Firemane Avenger 3 Wojek Halberdiers 3 Frontline Medic 2 Odric, Master Tactician 2 Aurelia, the Warleader [/deck] Spells - 15 [deck] 4 Mizzium Mortars 3 Boros Charm 3 Arrows of Justice 3 Oblivion Ring 2 Aurelia's Fury[/deck] Lands - 22 [deck] 8 Mountain 8 Plains 4 Clifftop Retreat 2 Sacred Foundry[/deck]
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
I feel like people are not understanding what "casual" means. It means "realaxed and unconcerned". If you want to complain about old cards being played and restrict your opponents to legacy, then you're not ****ing playing casual, you're playing legacy! Besides, if you don't tell your opponent what arbitrary definition of casual you use, it's your own fault when a vintage card gets played, so make sure you and your opponent are on the same page before you start playing.
Ok, so at this point in our game, the board's a bit clogged up. Seems like he's playing ... good stuff? Couldn't really pick out a theme. Had Predator Ooze with Rancor, Sigarda, Host of Herons, Serra Ascendant and Phytohydra, and Gideon Jura.

I'm playing Birthing Pod/Mimic Vat, and have 2 Wall of Blossoms, Birds of Paradise, Elderscale Wurm (pretty much only thing keeping me alive against the Ooze), Mimic Vat with Eternal Witness underneath and 2 Birthing Pods, as well as Sundial of the Infinite. Using Sundial to stop the turn early, to prevent a free, easy kill on the Wurm. He's got one card in hand.

He draws, plays a land, then Wheel of Fortune. As usual, seeing a vintage card in casual I grumble. Vintage cards have no place there. Yes, it's the deck's power level as a whole that mostly determine whether or not a deck is fine for a casual meta. But virtually every vintage-only card has a power level that's higher than is required in casual - there are perfectly adequate legacy versions of most, if not all effects. In any case, of course in his new clutch he draws into Wrath of God, and seeing as I don't have the mana to activate Mimic Vat (assuming I imprint Elderscale onto it), I lose.

I would've had no issue had he topdecked Wrath of God. Or Harmonize. Or Soul's Majesty. But Wheel of Fortune... every time a player plays a vintage card in casual, a kitten dies.

/endvent 

Seriously?

This complaint gets more annoying every time I hear it.  People play with the cards they want.  Who decides the power level of casual games?  No one except the people playing.  If that person plays with cards that bother you, then don't play with that person.  Would I want to play against the P9 in casual?  No, but if someone had them I wouldn't stop them; I just wouldn't play with them.  

Nebac said it the best:  Just have a "don't be a d***" rule.  I've seen "casual" decks that run Hymn to Tourach and play Hypnotic Specter turn one.  That, to me, is a d*** move in casual.

I ran into this problem a lot on MTGO before they came up with the Modern format.  You see, when they power rotated Extended to start at Lorwyn, all my old extended decks were only legal in Legacy (even the casual games online have to be in a format).  So I'd consistently run into decks that played a turn 1 Volcanic Island and then Force of Willed anything remotely threatening (which was nothing my silly extended decks could possibly come up with except for my bant blink deck).  That is NOT fun to play against.

There's a fine line between playing "casual" and just being an ass is my point I guess.
My playgroup is pretty small and fragmented, but the people I play with tend to have not played for nearly as long as I and have newer cards, so I just watch myself and keep my decks sane and things work out '-')b

I'm just happy I can get away with playing with cards like Dreams of the Dead. :3
El_Pared, Under our "don't be a d***" rule, people I play with know that every know and then they are going to receive a completely unfair smackdown with old cards.  There is also the understanding that when someone does this, they owe you a fair game afterwards, and it's all in fun and usually people (even those receiving the beatdown) just kinda laugh at whatever ridiculous combo is happening   When someone new comes in, they only receive one of the breatdowns either a) when they are part of the group or b) if they talk way too much smack their first day hanging out with us.  However, we have the cards because we pulled them, not because we bought them later.  If I played someone online playing with them (I have no idea how MTGO works btw, never tried it) or some dude who bought the cards on ebay just to carry a bigger stick than other people, yeah I'd probably get a little annoyed.

When I go to a new shop, I ask around what styles/sets people play before choosing what I play, not so they don't get upset, I just find it boring to play a completely overpowered deck against someone playing a standard deck that can't compete with it. 
My Decks
Show
UR Counter Burn
Show
Creatures - 16 Spells - 19 [deck] 4 Cryptic Command 4 Incendiary Command 4 Cancel 4 Unsummon 3 Banefire [/deck] Planeswalkers - 3 [deck]3 Chandra Nalaar[/deck] Lands - 22 [deck] 7 Island 5 Mountain 4 Cascade Bluffs 4 Reflecting Pool 2 Sulfur Falls [/deck] Sideboard - 15 [deck] 3 Swerve 3 Boomerang 3 Oona's Gatewarden 3 Twincast 3 Mirror Sheen [/deck]
Boros
Show
Creatures - 23 [deck] 4 Champion of the Parish 3 Legion Loyalist 3 Daring Skyjek 3 Firemane Avenger 3 Wojek Halberdiers 3 Frontline Medic 2 Odric, Master Tactician 2 Aurelia, the Warleader [/deck] Spells - 15 [deck] 4 Mizzium Mortars 3 Boros Charm 3 Arrows of Justice 3 Oblivion Ring 2 Aurelia's Fury[/deck] Lands - 22 [deck] 8 Mountain 8 Plains 4 Clifftop Retreat 2 Sacred Foundry[/deck]
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
@Nebac: That makes sense.  I think after I complete the couple decks I'm working on, I may have to focus on a  couple more generic one.  The few I have planned are not entirely broken but they are all strong decks.  Though I can't claim to have pulled the strong cards I have/plan to get: they don't print most of them now and for the most part, I only buy singles.  

I do agree that if I'm playing someone I don't know(or even someone I do)  I'd like to have an idea so I can base my choice on it.