cover and line of effect provided by arrow slit

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am confused about how arrow slits work. I understand how they work in real life. I cannot find any good information on how they work in 4e rules.

The only rule I could find was under the Cover section of the rules:

Superior Cover (-5 Penalty to Attack Rolls): The target is protected by a significant terrain advantage, such as when fighting from behind a window, a portcullis, a grate, or an arrow slit. 

1. Does this cover apply only to the person on the "protected" side of the arrow slit?

2. Does it apply only to ranged attacks through the slit or melee as well if the enemy is on the other side of the arrow slit and can reach the defender?

3. Does the arrow slit restrict the line of sight of the attacker on either side of the arrow slit that is in one of the squares adjacent to the arrow slit?  Same with line of effect.

4. Does the arrow slit restrict the line of sight of the attacker on either side of the arrow slit that is in a square other than one adjacent to the arrow slit? Same with line of effect.

1. Yes.

2. No it applies to any applicable attack types 

3. Hard to tell but i'd say yes. While arrow slits do not block line of sight or line of effect, its only a small opening in an otherwise blocking terrain and could presumably only allow  line of sight or line of effect in the square directly in front of it.

4. Yes since they're usually set into blocking terrain such as walls.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Are there official rules for arrow slits somewhere that you are referencing? Many of the answers you provided are common-sense interpretations that we made on the fly during our game, but also have strong common-sense arguments against those answers as well.

I personally feel that official game maps draw the arrow slits incorrectly. See an example of such a map below:

The map suggests that attackers stand in the squares adjacent to the arrow slit square, but actual arrowslits would require you to stand in the arrowslit square so that you can actually see and fire directly out of the hole in the wall.

Anyways, any official rules that anyone can reference? 
In the map above, walls occupy full square (5' wide) and thus are the arrow slits. In any case, the creature must be adjacent to the arrow slit's larger angle side, right in front, like the M.

Here's the entry for arrow slit under Terrain Features in the Rule Compendium;

RC 303 Arrow Slit: These small openings are designed to provide archers with maximum protection while they fire. An arrow slit grants a ranged attacker superior cover while granting him or her a view of the battlefield. The attacker determine the target's cover as if the attacker were in the square just outside the slit.

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Oh super awesome thanks!

I am subscribed to D&D Insider. Where did you find RC 303? I cannot find the search term "arrow slit" or "Terrain Features" in the Rules Compendium. What am I doing wrong?

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Oh I was thinking of the online Rules Compendium. I did not realize that the hard copy book had other stuff in it not available in the online version

But thanks for the info. That rule clarifies all of the line of site and line of effect issues I was having.
Oh I was thinking of the online Rules Compendium. I did not realize that the hard copy book had other stuff in it not available in the online version

Get yourself a Rules Compendium today, you'll be glad you did.  The online Compendium is a great reference, but it doesn't tell you all the rules.  And the Rules Compendium is not the live-all end-all of D&D either ... it's just the rules.  It doesn't have game elements like races, classes, feats, monsters, treasure, etc.

That having been said, when I DM the Rules Compendium is the only book I need to have at the table.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”