Fiend hunter

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can i exile a creature indefinately if i cloudshift a fiend hunter before its first ability resolves?
yes
Thanks for the reply can i get a second opinion. My friend wants confirmation
Gatherer has a ruling entry that confirms this:

9/22/2011: If Fiend Hunter leaves the battlefield before its first ability has resolved, its second ability will trigger and do nothing. Then its first ability will resolve and exile the targeted creature indefinitely.

Keep in mind, though, that exiling is optional with Fiend Hunter (hence the "may"), and the decision of whether to actually perform the exile is made when Fiend Hunter's ability resolves.  This can be useful to know to prevent creatures from being exiled permanently when you didn't want it to happen (such as your opponent using Cloudshift Searing Spear on your Fiend Hunter at an inopportune moment). 

Edit - Whoops, reading is tech, as usual.  >_<

But yeah, changed it to an example that works, such as the one that rezzahan posted.
Yes, it work. It's even addressed in the Gatherer rulings for Fiend Hunter:

If Fiend Hunter leaves the battlefield before its first ability has resolved, its second ability will trigger and do nothing. Then its first ability will resolve and exile the targeted creature indefinitely.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

Keep in mind, though, that exiling is optional with Fiend Hunter (hence the "may"), and the decision of whether to actually perform the exile is made when Fiend Hunter's ability resolves.  This can be useful to know to prevent creatures from being exiled permanently when you didn't want it to happen (such as your opponent using Cloudshift on your Fiend Hunter at an inopportune moment). 

This can't happen, since Cloudshift can only target a creature you control. But a simple removal spell like Searing Spear is all that it takes to fix the statement.
Sign In to post comments