Looking for some thoughts on what character would be best for our party

20 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my post!

A new game is on the horizon for me and a few friends, but alas I am the last one who still remains unsure of what to make. While I have a load full of ideas RP-wise, I remain somewhat confused when the time comes to actually decide and build a character.

So, here I came, to you, Char Ops, to hear your thoughts on what would go well with the following level one party. Currently we have an (I think) all human party of:

- A wizard who (will) enjoys thunder wave. Semi-optimized and currently the only ranged character.

- An assassin, not very likely to be optimized.

- A melee bard, not much optimization here either.

- Lastly, a battlemind who, again, is not likely to be optimized.

As you can see, the party is far from being optimized, and that is quite fine with everyone. While I may have some preferences in terms of races, or even classes, I seem to have thought about practically everything, but, obiously, I have not been able to settle on anything. A good thing to note is that I am not looking to surpass any of my fellow players, but would really like to have some sort of synergy with them, or at least to help fill in the gaps of our party.

You can post builds or anything you like (though I can make characters myself... just need to decide on what to build), but remember that it is for very low levels (we are starting at level one) and it is not likely to go up very fast (as in, we're staying in heroic for a long time).

With that, if anything crosses your mind, I would certainly like to hear of it.

Thank you once more for reading my post.

some sort of striker
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
The usual answer to arbitrary "what should I play" questions is a Warlord.  In this case, you'd need one can grant ranged-basic attacks (assassin).  That should help convince the battlemind that he wants an MBA to get in on the fun... at which point you're helping him do his job anyway.

That said ... doesn't look like there's too much absolutely required, depending on how the DM plays.  Defenger is what's coming to my head (flail avenger, Power of Skill. Prone early and often) 

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

An avenger would fit in pretty well, possibly a barbarian as well, would cover the str or wis skills, and both are competent strikers with proper power selection.
I'd say leader. Maybe a striker|leader like Cleric|Ranger.
I'd say leader. Maybe a striker|leader like Cleric|Ranger.

There's a bard.  There's a striker with a small side of defender.  There's a controller.  What's need are strikers.
So a striker-ish.

I've been staying away from Avengers because of personal taste... and that I tend to make bad characters, roleplay-wise, when I make one on paper.

Other than that, I've been quite interested in Shifters and Genasi.
Since elemental weapons are not quite there yet (starting at level one and all), I'm assuming it'd be better to pick a class like sorcerer, or wizard with that feat for Genasi, in order to get the most out of it as a Genasi.

On the other hand, I've been recently looking at the knight and slayer, but I am unsure of whether or not our DM would accept those (his material is quite "old", but he still has a lot).

Hmm, a striker... I'm realy unsure of what to do. Ah, choices, limited choices, what a peaceful life I would live without you~

Thanks for the anwsers and I'll keep looking here and around for ideas, so if any come through your mind, please do share.

With Genasi you could go Barbarian, Wizard (blaster), Sorcerer, Warlock or if you feel like a more complex character, Barbarian|Sorcerer, Swordmage|Warlock.

In an unoptomized group you could really go any number of directions and a Sorcerer 16(18)STR/16 CHR  would likely be fine though you'll likely want to pay particular attention to accuracy boosts. 
Genasi Bookish Barbarian(swordmage|barbarian).

Dragoborn Sorcerer.

Longtooth Shifter Ranger|Cleric(go frost or radiant when that comes online) or Fighter|Cleric and go for some polearm momentum type fun or spiked chain/flail proning.

Razor Claw Shifter Archer Ranger. 

"Something, something, something, Darkside. Utini."

Human Slayer. Easy peasy. You'll cover Strength/Athletics. On the occasion the bard wants to hand out an attack, you'll be a good target for it. You won't severely outshine anyone else, and you have an all human party for something rarely seen.
Thanks for all the great ideas~!

While I still haven't decided, I'm looking at a Genasi Barbarian (possibly hybrid with something else) or a Wizard|Swordmage or something of the like.
That, or a polearm LShifter, figther or possibly even a slayer, though that still remains to be clarified with my DM.

Since the game hasn't started, I'm not deciding as of yet so feel free to add whatever thoughts may cross your mind, but this has greatly helped me. Thanks again
Dragoborn Sorcerer.

Longtooth Shifter Ranger|Cleric(go frost or radiant when that comes online) or Fighter|Cleric and go for some polearm momentum type fun or spiked chain/flail proning.

If you go dragonsorc please play a tame version of it at a low-op table.  My dragon sorc made another sorc at the table say "I... curl up into a ball and cry in this corner because Im useless compared to that" this weekend.  Its cool and fun at a table that can handle it, but please make sure everyone at the table can hit benchmarks before you toss one of those in the mix.

For encounters I'm playing a Wizard|Cleric Genasi with Power of Storm for fun non-sense at will (turns it into thunder so you can use racial from L1 up and granting people big +attack bonuses which helps with low-op stuff). 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
If you go dragonsorc please play a tame version of it at a low-op table.  My dragon sorc made another sorc at the table say "I... curl up into a ball and cry in this corner because Im useless compared to that" this weekend.  Its cool and fun at a table that can handle it, but please make sure everyone at the table can hit benchmarks before you toss one of those in the mix.

Quoting for emphasis, just recently ran into this same problem, though with a Storm variant. Playing a powerful character isn't worth alienating the rest of your table. 
Well contrary to some there is a way to be a really good party member without ganking your fun and everybody elses. This is the Optimization forum but there is varying degrees of this. When i suggested the Dragon Sorc it was one of the first semi-ranged blast/burst striker to fit with the party. I really never even thought to suggest a Re-Breather type. 

If you want to play a relatively opp'ed character in a low op group, I recommend playing a hybrd split across roles.  In this party, I would recommend hybrid striker/leader.  You will not outshine any of the single role characters, but you will contribute more than your share.
That party seems weak on the front line, so I would play something beefy:  warlord, runepriest or battle cleric mixed with barbarian, avenger or ranger. 

While I still haven't decided, I'm looking at a Genasi Barbarian (possibly hybrid with something else) or a Wizard|Swordmage or something of the like.
That, or a polearm LShifter, figther or possibly even a slayer, though that still remains to be clarified with my DM.

Since the game hasn't started, I'm not deciding as of yet so feel free to add whatever thoughts may cross your mind, but this has greatly helped me. Thanks again

I recommend this thread. It's chock full of some really great builds for you to start working with.

Elysian_Fields,_Resting_Place_of_Heroes_and_Timeless_Builds.

If you want to go Genasi Barbarian with a Hybrid why not Hybrid Cleric, take Battle Cleric's Lore feature and Hybrid Talent for Thaneborn. Take Elemental Initiate for your Theme. Go STR 16(18), CHA 15, INT 14 (16) and dump DEX. Boost STR/CHA every time. Take the Resourceful Warlord (or other) Multiclass at some point. You'll be good at a number of skills, have some buffing/healing for when the group gets in to trouble and you'll be solid without severely outclassing anyone else. Dumping DEX also means you're less likely to go in first and whack something down before others' turns.  
Well contrary to some there is a way to be a really good party member without ganking your fun and everybody elses. This is the Optimization forum but there is varying degrees of this. When i suggested the Dragon Sorc it was one of the first semi-ranged blast/burst striker to fit with the party. I really never even thought to suggest a Re-Breather type. 

It's worth noting that the best way to be super-optimised without screwing everyone else's fun is to be a really good lazy leader.  You make the entire party win.  Admittedly, the DM might get a little sore...
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

I recommend this thread. It's chock full of some really great builds for you to start working with.

Elysian_Fields,_Resting_Place_of_Heroes_and_Timeless_Builds.

Thanks, this will surely be helpful as I tend to get easily lost into flavour stuff when it comes to feat and the likes~

Once more thanks to everyone. It's really a big help since I'm so easily lost when it comes to choosing from a certain, wide yet restrained, selection (like classes in D&D).

Anyways, still looking around since my group is quite lazy and all, but this thread has been more help than I thought it would be.
Sign In to post comments