Shuffling Issues

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey all,

I've been having a bit of a problem with shuffling - specifically I can't find a way to sufficiently randomize my decks either immediately after being built or after a duel.  The result is my deck being quite badly clumped up with blocks of just land, or otherwise leaving me land starved.

I can't get the hang of riffle shuffling, and would rather not do so anyway (it looks too much like it would damage the cards over time).

I've been overhand shuffling, but no amount of doing so makes much of a difference.

I had a look into mana-weaving before shuffling, which seems like it would work but for the most part is frowned upon as "giving the appearance of cheating"or the consensus is that if you sufficiently randomize after weaving it renders the process useless.

So does anyone know any alternatives I can try?

P.S sorry if this is in the wrong forum
disclaimer: this could be considered cheating

seperate all your lands and your other cards
then count them down on 6 different stacks, first the nonland cards, then the land cards

then just go on shuffling from there
if you don't shuffle properly or just do a stack shuffle all your opening hands will have 3-4 lands

other than that
if you have the space, lay all the cards facedown on the table and just mix them up on the table, like you see them doing on poker tournaments
this should be the best way to actually randomize the deck

with a proper randomized deck you WILL get mana starved or mana flooded from time to time, that's not because you shuffled badly, but that's because you shuffled well.
if you don't believe me head over to the Magic Online forum and find the very very long thread about the shuffler ;)
proud member of the 2011 community team
First off, dont mana weave. It will either be cheating (because it helps) or a waste of time (because it doesnt)... or cheating (because wasting time is stalling). And either way it will look suspicious.

Use sleeves, and try mash shuffling. Mix in overhand shuffles and pile shuffles (these help ensure no cards are missing and that none of them are stuck together, but by themself wont actually randomise your deck), and cuts. The more you shuffle the better, and the more you practice at it the better you will get (not at influencing the outcome, but at not dropping the cards etc).

Eventually it will become second nature and you wont even remember having a problem with it.

~ Tim     
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
I'm also really bad at shuffling. I watch the pros and more experienced players shuffle and I'm in complete awe. Here is what I do: I quickly sort out the cards into four piles of 15 (this also helps verify that I have 60 cards). Then I take two random piles and shuffle those overhand for about 10 times. Then I do the same with the other two piles. Then I take the two piles of 30 and shuffle those.

If it is a new deck, I repeat this process. Test play at home and shuffle in between games. It will become randomized over time.

Also, when I'm done play I interleave the cards from the battlefield, hand, and graveyard into the remainder of the library, a few cards apart depending on how many cards have to be shuffled back in. Then I shuffle as above.
Are portable card shuffler machines aloud? I have one and it even works on my cards in sleeves. I'm just returning to the game and all the cards that make you shuffle your library mid match are a bit of a pain.
Are portable card shuffler machines aloud?

It would probably be up the the head judge, if they are allowed at all. However, how do they verify that you havent programmed the machine to stack your deck?

~ Tim   

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Sign In to post comments