Should there be a Previous Editions Character Development board?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Or should I just go to somewhere else like "Previous Editions General" or "4E Character Development"?

Founder - but not owner - of Just Say Yes!

Member of LGBT Gamers

Odds are, if 4-6 people can't figure out an answer you thought was obvious, you screwed up, not them. - JeffGroves
Which is why a DM should present problems to solve, not solutions to find. -FlatFoot
Why there should be the option to use alignment systems:
Show
If some people are heavily benefiting from the inclusion of alignment, then it would behoove those that AREN'T to listen up and pay attention to how those benefits are being created and enjoyed, no? -YagamiFire
But equally important would be for those who do enjoy those benefits to entertain the possibility that other people do not value those benefits equally or, possibly, do not see them as benefits in the first place. -wrecan (RIP)
That makes sense. However, it is not fair to continually attack those that benefit for being, somehow, deviant for deriving enjoyment from something that you cannot. Instead, alignment is continually attacked...it is demonized...and those that use it are lumped in with it.

I think there is more merit in a situation where someone says "This doesn't work! It's broken!" and the reply is "Actually it works fine for me. Have you considered your approach might be causing it?"

than a situation where someone says "I use this system and the way I use it works really well!" and the back and forth is "No! It is a broken bad system!" -YagamiFire

Previous Editions General Discussion would be the appropriate place.  Or What's a Player to Do?  Personally, there will probably be another forum reorginzationw hen the next edition releases and I hope that Character Developement is either merged with What's a Player to Do? or made edition-neutral.

The only edition-specific forums needed, I think, would be:

1. Next General Discussion

2. Next Rules Q&A

3. Next Character Optimization

4. Previous Editions General 

5. Previous Editions Rules Q&A

6. Previous Editions Character Optimization

If you have a mechanical rules question regarding a character from a previous edition, that should go in Previous Editions General or What's A Player To Do?.
 If you have an edition-neutral roleplaying question about your character's personality or backstory, 4E Character Development is as good a place as any...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

If you have an edition-neutral roleplaying question about your character's personality or backstory, 4E Character Development is as good a place as any... 

Most of my question did seem edition neutral, but the "Paladins can fall" and "Dragonborns used to be something else" seemed fairly non-transferable. Should I double-thread anyway?

Founder - but not owner - of Just Say Yes!

Member of LGBT Gamers

Odds are, if 4-6 people can't figure out an answer you thought was obvious, you screwed up, not them. - JeffGroves
Which is why a DM should present problems to solve, not solutions to find. -FlatFoot
Why there should be the option to use alignment systems:
Show
If some people are heavily benefiting from the inclusion of alignment, then it would behoove those that AREN'T to listen up and pay attention to how those benefits are being created and enjoyed, no? -YagamiFire
But equally important would be for those who do enjoy those benefits to entertain the possibility that other people do not value those benefits equally or, possibly, do not see them as benefits in the first place. -wrecan (RIP)
That makes sense. However, it is not fair to continually attack those that benefit for being, somehow, deviant for deriving enjoyment from something that you cannot. Instead, alignment is continually attacked...it is demonized...and those that use it are lumped in with it.

I think there is more merit in a situation where someone says "This doesn't work! It's broken!" and the reply is "Actually it works fine for me. Have you considered your approach might be causing it?"

than a situation where someone says "I use this system and the way I use it works really well!" and the back and forth is "No! It is a broken bad system!" -YagamiFire

Most of my question did seem edition neutral, but the "Paladins can fall" and "Dragonborns used to be something else" seemed fairly non-transferable. Should I double-thread anyway?

I would avoid double-posting.  What's a Player to Do? is a generally friendly place that has so far escaped edition warring.
Sign In to post comments