!FLUSH'S RANDOM STEAM 1V1 TOURNAMENT #3

212 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alright!!  We finally have all of our participants signed up and ready to go!  Give me about 20-30 min from now tomake a bracket and roll up some decks and we will be going full steam ahead!!

Cool. I assume we'll use the steam friends thing to start the matches? I joined the steam group, but it's 'too many members to show'...

Just click below where it says too many members on the "View all members" and then you can click on the person you need to get with and send a message that way/invite as a friend if you wish.

I agree, a "Spectate" mode would be awesome

All that being said...THE TOURNAMENT IS OFFICIALLY UNDER WAY!!!

Grab your partner and beat the snot out of him and/or her!  Remember to post your wins/losses here following the above guidelines (in bold red font).  It gets cluttered quick and this helps me operate a littler more smoothly.

Remember to always check back to the origianl post where I will be updating results, new matches, and new decks every day/when brackets are full enough for a new round to begin.

Everyone have fun and good luck!!

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

WAIT! I get to play the big stud in the first round? Come on, I wanted some consideration for my lack of skill. Or is this a seeding thing?

LOL 
Lol, it was 100% random.  Don't worry, I have a knack for losing in my own tournament for some reason.  I think I won 2 games in one of them. ;P  BTW I sent you an friend invite on Steam, I'm ready to roll whenever you are ;P

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Round 1!  Riddicukulose vs. Grunthex

This was an interesting round going in ... I had a bunch of decks in my deck list with wild variance, based on their starting draws, so not sure what to expect.

Game 1: Me (Collective Might) vs. Riddickulose (Celestial Light)

Early moves nothing unusual - a Jade Mage a Qasali Pridemage, and Midnight Haunting for me, a Knight of Meadowgrain and a Pridemate for him.  When I Marshal's Anthem'd to buff, he boardwiped with our old friend DoJ.  I Eladamri's Call'd into a Hero of Bladehold as he did it, but that got stumped with a Recumbent Bliss.

Then a Jade Mage and Intangible Virtue for me, and he landed another pridemage, and a Felidar Sovereign.  When I double-blocked to kill the sovvy, he Marshal's Anthem'd it back from the dead.  We stared off for a number of turns, Me steadily building a token army thanks to jade mage (3/3 vigilant tokens, thanks to my enchants), protected by a Loxodon Hierarch, and I *never* let myself not have the mana to sac him, so he couldn't board wipe.

Eventually, he got me down to 6 with a Seraph of Dawn swinging in the air that I couldn't block, but just too many tokens.  2 turns of attacks, the final turn boosted by a Guildmage, managed to punch through just before he lethal'd me.

Game 1 to Grunthex

Game 2: Me (Aura Servants) vs. Riddickulose (Crosswinds)

This was the match I was hoping for ... I prefer CW to DP, and got my wish.  This game was never much in doubt, although I had very few enchantments.  An early Mimeomancer made pokey threats, then I sac'd a Kor Spiritdancer to a counterspell to land an Invisible Stalker (promptly featherbuffed by the Mimeomancer).  His Talrand was matched by my Grand Arbiter, and although he managed to drop an Invocation for 3 drakes, I then Mind Controlled Talrand, and just beat in with the Stalker.

His last ditch play was a Bribery to steal a Sun Titan, but he had no perms to return, and I was able to feather buff Talrand, and griffin guide my arbiter to put too much in the air, and finish him off.

Good games, Rid!  At least we both got our pregame wish, no mana screwing, we actually played some Magic!

Grunthex wins 2-0 vs Riddickulose
Sidecutte defeats Slappywhite 2-1.

MM > PK
 DP < ED
 AoW > MM 

gg's 
Sidecutte defeats Slappywhite 2-1.

MM > PK
 DP < ED
 AoW > MM 

gg's 

GG's
I won the first one with 1 life left :D
Fun first  tournament experience. I wanna play more like this, but they're hard to find!
Round 1!  Riddicukulose vs. Grunthex

This was an interesting round going in ... I had a bunch of decks in my deck list with wild variance, based on their starting draws, so not sure what to expect.

Game 1: Me (Collective Might) vs. Riddickulose (Celestial Light)

Early moves nothing unusual - a Jade Mage a Qasali Pridemage, and Midnight Haunting for me, a Knight of Meadowgrain and a Pridemate for him.  When I Marshal's Anthem'd to buff, he boardwiped with our old friend DoJ.  I Eladamri's Call'd into a Hero of Bladehold as he did it, but that got stumped with a Recumbent Bliss.

Then a Jade Mage and Intangible Virtue for me, and he landed another pridemage, and a Felidar Sovereign.  When I double-blocked to kill the sovvy, he Marshal's Anthem'd it back from the dead.  We stared off for a number of turns, Me steadily building a token army thanks to jade mage (3/3 vigilant tokens, thanks to my enchants), protected by a Loxodon Hierarch, and I *never* let myself not have the mana to sac him, so he couldn't board wipe.

Eventually, he got me down to 6 with a Seraph of Dawn swinging in the air that I couldn't block, but just too many tokens.  2 turns of attacks, the final turn boosted by a Guildmage, managed to punch through just before he lethal'd me.

Game 1 to Grunthex

Game 2: Me (Aura Servants) vs. Riddickulose (Crosswinds)

This was the match I was hoping for ... I prefer CW to DP, and got my wish.  This game was never much in doubt, although I had very few enchantments.  An early Mimeomancer made pokey threats, then I sac'd a Kor Spiritdancer to a counterspell to land an Invisible Stalker (promptly featherbuffed by the Mimeomancer).  His Talrand was matched by my Grand Arbiter, and although he managed to drop an Invocation for 3 drakes, I then Mind Controlled Talrand, and just beat in with the Stalker.

His last ditch play was a Bribery to steal a Sun Titan, but he had no perms to return, and I was able to feather buff Talrand, and griffin guide my arbiter to put too much in the air, and finish him off.

Good games, Rid!  At least we both got our pregame wish, no mana screwing, we actually played some Magic!

Grunthex wins 2-0 vs Riddickulose

GG as usual Grunt...good luck!
Concerning the "spectator mode", I'll do my best to record and upload the games I'm playing as per usual, and of course to the extent that my opponents agree to be vidcapped and exposed to the world.
Fun first  tournament experience. I wanna play more like this, but they're hard to find!

Keep in mind it's a double elimination tourney, so you're still alive, and you get to play someone else who lost next game.

Oh hey the tournament has started! I'll just log online and check out my decks: Exalted Darkness, Rogue's Galley, Act of War.

Well... errr that could be better... What did my opponent get? Crosswinds & Goblin Gangland

!Flush I think I may hate you and your random deck generator with the burning fury of a thousand suns.

I joke ofcourse. But in all seriousness see you guys in the losers bracket!

Welcome! I'm Garren and I'll be your designated villain for the evening.

I, Garren, will knock you all down!

I got SaS and MM, the two decks that have refused to save my deck progress since I got them :/
!Flush vs. Eikeltje 2 - 1
LOL MvdL, I certainly saw that one!!  Good games vs. a good opponent.

Game 1:  RG (!Flush) vs. SaS (Eik) - Eik started out with 3 lands and but had some trouble getting much more.  I was getting mana flooded but had 2x Agony Warp to stall his early game.  By the time he was getting what he needed I was bringing out the big guns such as Ashling, the Extinguisher, Ghastlord of Fugue, along with a couple unblockables.  It was too little too late for Eik.  !Flush wins.

Game 2:  MM (!Flush) vs. BR (Eik) - Even though Eik was stuck at 3 mana again, I mulled down to 6 and couldn't ramp fast enough or get the needed sweepers for BR's relentless assault (no, not the card ;P).  A well placed Fling finished me off.  Eik wins.

Game 3:  MS (!Flush) vs. GG (Eik) - I won't lie, of the 3 decks I was hoping to get this matchup for GG and I was lucky enough to get a great hand after 1 mul vs. Goblins.  An Electrolyze, Arc Lightning, and a Wand of the Elements with mana to keep it up was enough to keep the pesky goblins at bay (including 2x Goblin Piledriver).  Once the Gobs were basically topdecking it was just a matter of time before MS was able to take control and win.  !Flush wins.

Thanks for the games MvdL and good luck in the games ahead!

!Flush wins: 2-1.

Thanks for the kind words Garren. ;P  I'll try to randomize your decks better next time!

I have had some issues with deck saves before as well Kanger, but never to the extent that I never got to unlock them 100%.  I am not really aware of any ways to fix the problem...I just kept trying until it was finally all unlocked.

I eventually found a workaround, but I have to re-edit my decks every time I open the game. Not the end of the world, but a pain in the butt to say the least. Luckily, that deck planning tool on here has a "quick build" function to tell you exactly how to build it in the game as quickly as possible.
Mr. P is the man for sure!

Nunezilla vs. Multeyemeteor

Game 1: GM (nunezilla) vs CW (mult)

Land was not an issue for either side early on as we each had land drops for the first 5 turns.
My early plays of Ashenmoor Gouger and Blazing Spectre were respectively repulsed and mana leaked.
On turn 5 Multeye dropped a Future Sight; I responded with a Hellhole Rats that forced a discard of Panoptic Mirror
and reanimated my spectre to swing for 4 and force another discard (Gravitational Shift)
Multeye played a Talrand's Evocation but the drakes were quickly dealt with by a lucky Bituminous Blast that cascaded into a Wrecking Ball opening the way for another rat/spectre swing that forced his last card (Bribery) out of his hand.
The game was over quickly after this point as Multeye top decked mostly islands even with Future Sight in play.

Game 2: PK (nunezilla) vs PI (mult)

I opened up with a turn 2 Accorder Paladin followed by a turn 3 Honor of the Pure and Elite Vanguard - Paladin swings for 4.  Multeye drops a turn 3 Dungrove Elder.
Turn 4 my paladin and vanguard swing for 8 and I drop a Crusader of Odric.  Things get interesting now as Multeye puts a Blanchwood Armor on his elder and proceeds to make a nice light snack out of my paladin with a Prey Upon.
Turn 5, I play Captain's Call, take one look at the 8/8 elder across the way and decide not to attack.
Multeye plays a forest and a Timbermaw Larva and makes a slightly larger meal out of my crusader with another Prey Upon.
Turn 6, I Oblivion Ring the slug and swing with everything. My vanguard is predictably crushed by his elder but my token soldiers get through for 6 bringing his life total down to 2.
With no reinforcements on the way, the now 12/12 Elder swings with a Primal Bellow for 18 to the face, nearly crushing the life out of me with a single blow! Unfortunately for Multeye it's too little too late and my token soldiers finish him off next turn.

nunezilla wins: 2-0.

Just confirming the overwhelming beatdown!

Keep in mind it's a double elimination tourney, so you're still alive, and you get to play someone else who lost next game.

Right! Awesome.

Right! Awesome.

Slappy, we're paired in the next round, so in preparation I sent you a friend invite on steam. You're going downSmile

Thanks for the games MvdL and good luck in the games ahead!

!Flush wins: 2-1.

Thanks. I had a good time. It was frustrating that I had to mulligan at least once in every game and although the best matchup for flush was for Mind Stroms, it wasn't much of a game since I had to mulligan twice, down to 6 cards for the Goblin game. I ended up with 2 lands and missed two turns for being able to put mana down. But I'm confident the best player won.

We played a bunch of random games after that and it seemed each and every one I was low on mana. But the one I remember most is when Flush was also low on land (3 white mana), but he puts down 2 Soul Wardens and 3 Ajani's Pridemates to beat me to pulp. As I said to him during the game, this is how cheating rumors start! Wink
My hax are > than your hax!!!  Lol.  That was about stupid though.  I was topdecking pridemates like it was going out of style that game. ;P  I swear luck goes in waves.  I have days where I am winning 90% of my games and the the next day I can't get more than 2 mana (unless it is 15 lands in a row) for the life of me while losing 90% of my games.  That and I have more mistake prone days than others as well, lol.  I think I remember a couple areas where we both made some minor mistakes, I just can't remember what or when now.  I'm sure you will get your revenge if we play again.  Until next time Eikeltje!

Just for the record, !Flush is making stuff up!  I play him all the time --- he never goes on losing streaks! :P
Losing 90% of his games doesn't necessarily mean he goes on losing streaks. With him, it's more likely that he loses the first 90% of any given match up before he reaches into his bag o tricks and topdecks something to help him win the last 10% of that match up and snag the victory :P
Lol.  I challenge all of you n00bs to a duel!  I'll win every game.  Stacking my decks right now!!

My hax are > than your hax!!!  Lol.  That was about stupid though.  I was topdecking pridemates like it was going out of style that game. ;P  I swear luck goes in waves.  I have days where I am winning 90% of my games and the the next day I can't get more than 2 mana (unless it is 15 lands in a row) for the life of me while losing 90% of my games.  That and I have more mistake prone days than others as well, lol.  I think I remember a couple areas where we both made some minor mistakes, I just can't remember what or when now.  I'm sure you will get your revenge if we play again.  Until next time Eikeltje!

As we're all human, our tendencies are to remember the outliers. Just this last weekend I was playing with my son (2HG), and I drew 7 lands, mulliganned (that can't be a word) to 6 lands, mulliganned to 3 lands (which seemed pretty good) and than I proceeded to draw 5 lands in a row. What sort of chance is that? That whole night I felt like all I drew was land. It happens.

Funny enough I was play testing my Sky and Scale build earlier that afternoon and it was running smooth as butter against a variety of decks. Winged Coatl when I needed it, Momir Vig, Simic Visionary at the right moment, Overbeing of Myth popping to the top of the deck twice, etc. And when I played !Flush, I was struggling to even find anything useful to do! Oh well.

As far as mistakes, the main one I remember is when I played SS, and putting out the Blood Artist after I kill two of your creatures. Doh!

Garren_Windspear defeats Loukoumas 2-

Well Isn't my face red? After calling !Flush out on my terrible deck choices I go and win with them. Now I just look foolish.

Round 1 - Exalted Darkness (Me) vs Crosswinds (Lou)
Honestly this was the match-up I was hoping for for ED sinse you usually get enough time to build your forces up without harrasment. An early Knight of Infamy back up with a few other exalted got the damage rolling. It didn't help that I managed to glue a Whispersilk Cloak to him. Loukoumas did Bribery my Battlegrace Angel to stabalize his life points and deal some impressive damage, but thats nothing a quick Mortify can't fix (after Pacifism failed to solve the problem). While Lou did manage to summon a whole boatload of drakes in the end Silent Arbiter prevented him from pushing the damage through before I finished him. Round 1 to me.

Round 2 - Act of War (Me) vs Goblins Goblins Goblins Goblins (Lou)
Lifegain I think I love you. While my usual only hope expert strategy in this situation is to drop a few firststrikers and cry in the corner until its over set up a powerful defensive line, the cards were cruel and refused to give me a single creature below CMC 4 until like turn 6 (by which point it didn't need it *sigh*). Loukoumas opened proceedings by beating me about the face with goblins (as they are known to do) but I was able to hold out long enough (due to a steady supply of lifegain cards) to drop Sunblast Angel and give her a Scourge of the Nobilis. After that the goblins just coudn't get their steam back. Round 2 to me.

Round 3 - Rogue's Gallery (Me) vs Pack Instinct (Lou)
For fun we played the last round. I can't say for sure but I think Lou might have had a bad hand here sinse he couldn't seem to get any real threats on the board for the longest time (his bigest creatures being a Garruk's Companion and Primal Huntbeast) and while he did drop a Primalcrux I was in too strong a position for it to put up any real resistance. Round 3 to me.

All in all some very fun matches against a skilled opponent. Good luck in the losers bracket Loukoumas!

Welcome! I'm Garren and I'll be your designated villain for the evening.

I, Garren, will knock you all down!

Just confirming the overwhelming beatdown!

They were actually good games, but GM and PK were just too aggresive to keep up with.  I've posted some play by play of the matches in my original post if anyone is interested.  I'm pretty sure Multeye has video too if my memory was not so accurate.

KUPO TROOPER defeats KANGERMU (2-0)

So I'll do the write ups a little later(if Kupo doesn't beat me to them), but we had one good game and then he crushed me in the second.

Game 1 OD (Kupo) def SS (Kang)-
Long story short, tight game, until mana flood+corrupt=gg 
Game 2 SS (Kupo) def MM (Kang)-
Never got my forest until it was too late. Got my Maelstrom Archangel down which was quickly Diabolic Edict'd, and he just had too many wolves and whatnot for me to drag the game out to the point I would be able to do anything.

Games well played, Kupo, but unfortunately you fell into my trap! For you see, last tourny was won by 4nothin9, who lost the first round and managed to glide to the championship undetected. So now, I, too, can cruise along to the championship and win! It's a flawless plan! 
Kupo Trooper defeats Kangermu 2-0

The powers of darkness hath not failed me!

Duel 1: Obedient Dead vs. Sepulchural Strength (1-0)

I started with Obedient Dead mostly because it was the most fun to play out of my three decks, but also because it has a good matchup against all of Kangermu's decks.

As I thought he might, Kangermu started with SS and I am always eager to put these two decks against each other because of how almost everyone says SS is better (I have always disagreed). It was a good duel, and I had a powerful starting hand of three swamps, the Obliterator, Vampire Nighthawk, Tendrils of Corruption and the pay two life draw two card. Can't ask for a much better starting hand than that!

Anyway, I knew the infamously imba Obliterator wouldn't be much good once I saw my opponent had chosen SS (removal heaven) but went at it anyway. The duel actually ended up with mega mana flood for me...I drew a swamp...paid two life to draw two swamps. I drew another swamp. And another. Yay Murder! Swamp. Mire's Toll discards a Milotic Slime (thank god that card is a nightmare for this deck, especially with a Blood Artist out!)...Swamp. Swamp. Until I was at 10 and then I drew the winner himself, Rune Scarred Demon. A tutor into Corrupt won me the duel after a bit of shenanigans with holding a swamp back in my hand to make Kang think I couldn't kill him with Corrupt. Good choice, it turns out.

Whilst my drawing and swamp proliferation was going on Kang played a steady game, with an early Blood Artist being a pain in the neck and two Go for the Throats dealing with my Nighthawk and Obliterator. He got out a couple of bombs, one of which had regeneration so I thought I was a goner but OD's versatility with its removal, lifegain, bomb combo won the game for me. Lucky!

Duel 2: Sepulchural Strength vs. Mana Mastery (2-0)

This duel was unfortunately rather quick thanks to Kang not drawing a forest until it was too late. Still, things could have turned out very differently if I had made a different choice I was considering on turn 5 (he had that angel that allows you to cast a card from your hand for no cost when it hits your opponent...I could remove it or Mind Rot his hand, the latter being so tempting as he only had three cards in it. However, I knew that meant he'd keep the best card and play it for free next turn so I chose to remove the angel).

I actually mulliganed away from a very tempting hand, was worried that would destroy me but thankfully my second hand was more well-rounded if a bit thin on mana. Thankfully SS's copious amounts of creatures that allow you to ramp/search for lands gave a nice buffer and comfort zone. Basically I beat down my opponent with that ugly elf mutant thing (2/1) and Master of the Wild Hunt and in my hand I had a couple of bombs waiting and some more removal. I personally find that building SS as a faster deck with some bombs to back it up works wonders.

Great duels, thank you Kangermu and best of luck to you.
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
To make things easier for participants to get together I made a new group for the tournament.  The Planeswalking Dead group is still a great group for DotP people to meet and play, but it is getting crowded (as some people have pointed out to me).  So to help everyone out in finding their respective opponents I made a new Steam group aptly named: Flush's 1v1 Random DotP Tournaments.  I hope this helps!  Please join to help things run a little smoother for everyone involved!

True_believer_02 > 2 Vs 1 < Dh50

First game: PK vs GP: It was a fast game. I think Dh50 had a mana screw.

Second game: SS vs SS: It was one of the best games I ever played. We trade creatures and destruction spells until each one has more or less 15 cards left. SS is a deck I don't play much and Dh50 outsmart me. He won fair and square.

Third game: GG Vs PI: It was a really fast game. I won the game before Dh50 played his second creature at 4th turn. And I didn't even draw any of the best goblins.

My decks in this round were just insane. I hope I had at least half the luck next round.

My congratulations to Dh50. He was a good opponent and taught me a very instructing lesson in how to play with SS.
Yxanthymir defeats dh50 2-1.

Game 1 - GP(dh50) vs. PK

I cut my GP deck to have nothing over 4 mana given that I was facing goblins and peacekeepers.  Unfortunately the only lands I drew were the 3 in my opening hand and I had a hand full of 4 mana cards - like, all of them in my deck I think except one.  Oh well.  Let's face it, I also made some dumb plays and it's possible had I been able to delay another turn I would have drawn the fourth mana to get off the Damnation in my hand.  Honestly I might have been able to stall for 2 more turns actually if I had played this a little better.  Winner: Yxanthymir

Game 2 - SS vs. SS

This game was crazy.  I thought I might lose by decking myself.  The basic pattern was, play a creature, have the opponent kill it.  This continued until both of us were down to about 17 cards left in our decks and almost all of our mana on the table.  Although at one point, I had to kill a huge regenerating Mortivore the turn after I played Damnation.  It only took 2 Pernicious Deeds and 2 Maelstrom Pulses to do it (across multiple turns; Pernicious Deed was my only way to prevent 13 points of damage 2 turns in a row).  A slight misplay by Yxanthymir meant after I played a creature, he killed it, leaving him with only 1 swamp open, when I had 2 Maelstrom Pulses in my hand, allowing me to kill Mortivore.  Barring that, I would have lost.  In the end, Penumbra Wurm was removed once but came back to seal the deal.  Ridiculously, despite all of the removal played by both sides, I won the game with 2 Go for the Throat still in my hand.  Winner: dh50

Game 3 - PI (dh50) vs. GG 

I had a decent, low cost hand with ramp, a Leatherback Boloth, and a Dungrove Elder, but goblins went first.  I did not live to see a 4th turn.  Winner: Yxanthymir

Good games - they were really fun and Yxanthymir was a great opponent - good luck in your future matches, now I'm looking forward to the loser's bracket! 
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />
Games well played, Kupo, but unfortunately you fell into my trap! For you see, last tourny was won by 4nothin9, who lost the first round and managed to glide to the championship undetected. So now, I, too, can cruise along to the championship and win! It's a flawless plan! 

Oh great, all us winners should just concede right now, we screwed up!
Haha....it sure would save me a lot of time and trouble! (explaining why I was wrong and lost again, more likely, but hey)

I started with Obedient Dead mostly because it was the most fun to play out of my three decks, but also because it has a good matchup against all of Kangermu's decks.

As I thought he might, Kangermu started with SS and I am always eager to put these two decks against each other because of how almost everyone says SS is better (I have always disagreed). 

I'd like to prove you otherwise, how about 10 quick games and we settle this once and for all!! :P 
!Flush, just fyi, I added Yosiel on Steam two days ago and posted on his wall. Can't see him online, hope everything turns out well until tomorrow.

As I thought he might, Kangermu started with SS and I am always eager to put these two decks against each other because of how almost everyone says SS is better (I have always disagreed). 

I'd like to prove you otherwise, how about 10 quick games and we settle this once and for all!! :P 

I'd actually love that, even if I'm proved wrong it would be an interesting experiment! Feel free to poke me when I'm online.
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
!Flush, just fyi, I added Yosiel on Steam two days ago and posted on his wall. Can't see him online, hope everything turns out well until tomorrow.

Thanks for letting me know d3s.  Hopefully he will be online today.  I'll try to get a hold of him as well.