Do you think we'll ever see the Dragonborn in 5th Edition?

Or will Dragonborn fans be thrown under the bus?
Khyber is a dark and dangerous place, full of flame and smoke, where ever stranger things lie dormant.
I'm hoping the PHB will take the same track with races as they mentioned they planned to do with classes (that is, all of them from the first PHBs released with each edition).  Even if they aren't available at launch, I'd be rather surprised if they didn't appear at some point.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

Dragonborn are cool.
i think mearls has stated deveral times that dragonborn are definitely in the game. he's also said that they will be in the forgotten realms, and that the forgotten realms will be supported at launch.

so while they may not be in the first phb, i have faith they'll either be in the FR campaign book or in some other book that'll be out not long after launch.
I was kind of hoping that Dragonborn would be thrown under the bus, so to speak.
I was kind of hoping that Dragonborn would be thrown under the bus, so to speak.

And I'm hoping that everyone who thinks like that about any part of D&D is thrown under a bus.

And I'm hoping that everyone who thinks like that about any part of D&D is thrown under a bus.

So to speak.

Why is that exactly? If you don't like them, don't play them. And if another player in your group likes dragonborn, it seems petty to prevent them from playing what they want.
"So shall it be! Dear-bought those songs shall be be accounted, and yet shall be well-bought. For the price could be no other. Thus even as Eru spoke to us shall beauty not before conceived be brought into Eä, and evil yet be good to have been." - Manwë, High King of the Valar
I'd like both: for dragonborn to be thrown under a bus and for them to be included (in their bus-thrown-under state).
Ever? It's essentially a certainty. Even if they somehow don't make it into the first PHB, it's unlikely that they won't make one of the earliest waves of extra races.
Dwarves invented beer so they could toast to their axes. Dwarves invented axes to kill people and take their beer. Swanmay Syndrome: Despite the percentages given in the Monster Manual, in reality 100% of groups of swans contain a Swanmay, because otherwise the DM would not have put any swans in the game.
A game called dungeons and dragons that doesn't offer the opportunity to play a draconic race is missing something.

I didn't like the design of 4th edition dragonborns with their big beaks, and I didn't like their brute profile, but I think the game really need a draconic race.
In fact, I think that a draconic race with a lot of subraces would have made more sense in D&D than elves. 

If you think my english is bad, just wait until you see my spanish and my italian. Defiling languages is an art.

Yeah elves are way to mutable for a species that supposedly emphasizes long life span over fecundity. 

That said I hope they start making good races before they bring out the 5e d-born. Because I'd hate to see the travesty that would result if they wer like the races in the packets.

yeah, a draconic race - like kobolds!

/snark

I think it's pointless arguing for/against dragonborn because I'm sure they'll be in there somewhere.

I'd like to the the bus thrown under a dragon.

In all seriousness, the games need more fantastical races and less short human 1, short human 2, skinny human 1, skinny human 2, etc (ugh, halflings). 
Mearls has already said on Twitter that the Dragonborn will be in DDN, just not where they will be.  He did say they would be available close to the beginning if not in the PHB.

Personal opinion, races take a page each, cutting out the Dragonborn would serve only one purpose, spiting 4E fans.
CORE MORE, NOT CORE BORE!
Don´t worry, I trust we will can see the dracoborn sorcerer with levels of template half-dragon and the prestige class disciple of dragon..

(I wish a block for all half-dragons: oriental lung, planar, gem...). 

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

I can take or leave them, but I'm sure they'll be included.
Color me flattered.

LIFE CYCLE OF A RULES THREAD

Show
Thank_Dog wrote:

2Chlorobutanal wrote:
I think that if you have to argue to convince others about the clarity of something, it's probably not as objectively clear as you think.

No, what it means is that some people just like to be obtuse.

Dragonborn and half-dragons need to be merged into one race.  Tails, wings, breath weapons, dragon fear, dragon senses, etc. need to be options with the right investments by characters (feats, levels, or whatever).

The monster bestiary should be an open index to all possible PC races (assuming the DM allows it). It would not be complicated.  Just present each monster as 3 columns of stats: its most basic form as a 1 hit dice creature, its most standard form, its elite leader form.  DMs could then use the 1 hit die form for PC or NPC races with class levels, the standard form for most encounters, the leader form for boss or solo encounters.
I hope not. I was a little disappointed that the playtest packets still didn't have Gnomes, Half-Elves or Half-Orcs.

Dragonborn and Tiefling to me are not appropriate to the core setting.

I hope not. I was a little disappointed that the playtest packets still didn't have Gnomes, Half-Elves or Half-Orcs.

There is no core setting. Nothing is really "appropriate" for anything. If you don't like them, simply don't use them.

Personally, I would love to see the PoL return as the default setting. The system is supposed to be modular, and that setting is as modular as it gets. It would make sense. That way, you don't have any default lore telling you what races are part of the setting.
I want them included, but you must discuss similar races at the same time like lizard men, kobolds, etc. Much like discussing the different races of elves or dwarfs, you can not focus on lizard/dragon races like stove pipes that don't interact with each other. In fact once key aspect of a dragon race I would like to see is castes based on age brackets, if anyone remebers dragon newts from RuneQuest.
They should be in the first PHB.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

It is a good thing that there is no core setting.  The assumption that there should be needs to die in a fire.  The modular system, which DDN is supposed to be, should not make assumptions on the setting.  The more options in a modular system the better.  Leave what is or is not available in the game to individual gaming groups.
Isn't the wrecking of the flavor of Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms one of the big things 4E
did to turn people off them? All the new deities in 4E are...
Not good. Just IMO.

Points of Light would have been better served with Aasimar Paladin and Sorcerers than Dragonborn
Paladins and Tiefling Warlocks.

It seems to me like the story of Io bleeding would have been something that was supposed to get
around the half-orc **** scenarios, sanitize them and then they became Dragonborn just because?
Half Orcs could have been the conflicted antiheroes in the setting, not people who make pacts with fiends
and Outer Powers. 

Isn't the wrecking of the flavor of Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms one of the big things 4E did to turn people off them?

Greyhawk never existed in 4e, and I prefer the new FR to the old one.

Welcome to the world of subjective opinions.

And again, there IS no core setting, and even if there was, you are free to modify it in any way you see fit.  Just because something is in the initial outlay of rulebooks (aka 'core') in no way mandates its inclusion in any game world.
I really liked the Dragonborn artwork that made them look like birds and a Halo Covenant Elite. 

I kind of thought that maybe they'd be modeled after dragons and lizards with dragon in the name like bearded dragons?

Before you even get into the Chainmail Bikini stuff with a reptilian race that lays eggs. That isn't weird at all.

WebRep

currentVote

noRating

noWeight

You're right, that isn't weird at all.
Dragonborn are a perfect example of a Player's Handbook 2 race or a Forgotten Realms race.
They should not get in before gnomes or half-orcs.

Dragonborn are a perfect example of a Player's Handbook 2 race or a Forgotten Realms race.

Which is your completely subjective opinion.
I, personally, disagree.  I couldn't care less if gnomes or half-orcs EVER exist in the game.

Or, you know, they could include all of them. All races from a PHB1 should be in the core of DDN. Inclusion, not exclusion. "I don't like it, so nobody should play it" is not a good view to have. 

As far as how they look, that is completely irrelevant. Just change it. You can say that your Dragonborn are giant purple geckos with fairy wings and duck feet for all I care. Appearance is whatever you want it to be.

...thrown under the butlette?  or maybe, the purple worm

Or, you know, they could include all of them. All races from a PHB1 should be in the core of DDN. Inclusion, not exclusion. "I don't like it, so nobody should play it" is not a good view to have. 

As far as how they look, that is completely irrelevant. Just change it. You can say that your Dragonborn are giant purple geckos with fairy wings and duck feet for all I care. Appearance is whatever you want it to be.

What with the game being modular, and each race taking up only a page or two, removing one just to spite the 4E crowd would kinda take a big steaming crap on the whole idea of modularity.

No one is making the argument that gnomes and half-orcs won't be in the game.  That is just a ridiculous straw man argument.  As is the idea that a page or two for ONE race means the books is going to be 8000 pages and the size of Texas (someone brought that argument up in the Warlord thread, another attempt to take a dump on the 4E crowd just out of spite).

Bottom line, if you don't like a race or class, don't use it.  When the goal of the game is to be modular enough to capture the feel of each of the editions, making that impossible just to spite a sizeable fraction of the fanbase seems ludicrous.
Dragonborn should be warn-blooded (and all true dragons). A brain as intelligent need burn lots of calories, a higher metabolism.

Scalles? Like pangolin

Eggs-laying? Like platypus.

I think Dragonborn are mammals.

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

Dragonborn are mammals.
I'd love to see dragonborn get a makeover. The froglike brutes always seemed a bit... frogborn and not dragonborn to me.
"What's stupid is when people decide that X is true - even when it is demonstrable untrue or 100% against what we've said - and run around complaining about that. That's just a breakdown of basic human reasoning." -Mike Mearls
Not really a fan of the race but personally I wish they weren't called Dragonborn since it sounds like a cheesy title. Why not go back to its roots call them Draconian like it was in Dragonlance instead? The whole lizardman look should be thrown out or at least toned down and altered. Aesthetically 4e's Dragonborn art doesn't look dragon-like enough IMHO. I would much prefer them to be more human looking  with draconic features.  I also beleive it shouldn't be a standard race in the core book and should be an option in a future module since it depends on the setting.
For all those who say "Dragonborn have no place in the core game," your Edition Warring is showing.

I have yetto see ANY reason why they don't belong in the core game, other than "X was my favorite edition, and they weren't in that, and I refuse to like anything that isn't in X."

So please provide some logical reasons for why they don't belong. I, for one, think they provide a very interesting race in a game where a lot of races have nothing interesting going for them, and seem to only be included because  of tradition. 
Not really a fan of the race but personally I wish they weren't called Dragonborn since it sounds like a cheesy title. Why not go back to its roots call them Draconian like it was in Dragonlance instead? The whole lizardman look should be thrown out or at least toned down and altered. Aesthetically 4e's Dragonborn art it doesn't look dragon-like enough IMHO. I would much prefer them to be more human looking  with draconic features.  I also beleive it shouldn't be a standard race in the core book and should be an option in a future module since it depends on the setting.

Everything depends on setting. They're a very popular race among 4e fans, and they appeared in the PHB1. There's really no good reason to exclude PHB1 races from any edition. "I don't like it" is not a valid reason. The way to solve that is to not use it. Dragonborn have been in 2 editions now, and were a core race in one.
Not really a fan of the race but personally I wish they weren't called Dragonborn since it sounds like a cheesy title. Why not go back to its roots call them Draconian like it was in Dragonlance instead? The whole lizardman look should be thrown out or at least toned down and altered. Aesthetically 4e's Dragonborn art doesn't look dragon-like enough IMHO. I would much prefer them to be more human looking  with draconic features.  I also beleive it shouldn't be a standard race in the core book and should be an option in a future module since it depends on the setting.

Because Dragonborn are completely unrelated to Draconians, as evidenced by the fact that weird things don't happen when they die, and their standard origin has nothing to do with corrupting dragon eggs.
The art doesn't matter because your character can look like anything you want it to.
Any race's availablity is dependent on campaign setting, so that is a non-argument.
Before you even get into the Chainmail Bikini stuff with a reptilian race that lays eggs. That isn't weird at all.

Some folks are into cloaca. Don't be discriminating against cloaca-sexuals!

Dragonborn should be warn-blooded (and all true dragons). A brain as intelligent need burn lots of calories, a higher metabolism.

Scalles? Like pangolin

I think Dragonborn are mammals

I think this sort of art is precisely why folks hate dragonborn. The artwork needs to be rethought.

Scalles? Like pangolin

I think Dragonborn are mammals.

I think this sort of art is precisely why folks hate dragonborn. The artwork needs to be rethought.

Again, the art is irrelevant.  Your character looks like whatever you want your character to look like.
Sign In to post comments