Poker with Enchantment

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok so I have a Prodigal Sorcerer that is a creature type wizard that has an ability where you tap it and it does 1 pt of damage. I enchant it with Lavamancer"s Skill which give enchanted creature this ability" If enchanted creature is a wizard it has (tap) This creature deals 2 damage to target creature(If its not a wizard it only gives it one damage. Does the Prodigal sorceror now do 3 pts of damage seeing as its a wizard?
No. The Sorcerer now has three activated abilities. Activating one ability does not mean you activate all of the abilities. So you can either tap the Sorcerer to deal 1 damage to target creature or player, deal 1 damage to target creature, or deal 2 damage to target creature, not all three at once.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

Ok so when a card has inate ability and is then enchanted with something that also requires it to tap you can only pick one thing for it to do. The enchantment doesn't do the damage then the creature does. I think I got it.
Don't even worry about the enchantment.  You can only do things if you can pay the cost, and when you pay the cost you get the one effect associated with that cost.  If the cost of anything is "tap this creature", then you can only use a "tap this ability" once because after once, you no longer have an untapped creature.  If you have one dollar, and a taco costs a a dollar and a burger costs a dollar, you can't buy both a taco and a burger, nor can you buy two burgers nor two tacos.

But don't think this is special about enchantments.  You can only use one of Deathrite Shaman's abilities per instance of tapping it, also, and there's no enchantment there.  Just different abilities that each include tapping as part of the cost.
Ok so when a card has inate ability and is then enchanted with something that also requires it to tap you can only pick one thing for it to do. The enchantment doesn't do the damage then the creature does. I think I got it.

Enchanted with the Lavamancer's skill, your Sorcerer has actually this in his rules text:
T: this deals 1 damage to target creature/player
T: this deals 2 damage to target creature

Two separate abilities that you have to activate separately, but if you pay for one, the Sorcerer will be tapped and you'd normally be unable to activate the other ability (or the other again even, it's just the same) unless you can untap it some other way.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

Ok so I have a Prodigal Sorcerer that is a creature type wizard...

Just for information, take note that Prodigal Sorcerer has been updated and now has two subtypes: Wizard + Human.

Wizards of the Coast: outsourced to Elbonia

Sign In to post comments