Help fine-tune my paragon Critvenger

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
starting campaign at 11th level, expected to end in high teens, maybe 20-21.
I've always wanted to try a crit-fishing build, so here is my attempt at it. I know this is pretty bad, so what can i do to make it better?

basic goal is: twin strike avenger with expanded crit range during paragon

a few notes to keep in mind for suggestions;
1) use LFR creation rules.
2) my goal is starting play with 19-20 crit range, but I would consider using Jagged enchant if there's a PP with expanded range at 16 that fits better.
3) prefer to be as item independant as possible.
4) priority to crit fishing, but I've chosen a strong secondary on DPR (as fits within above points).

what I have so far-

EDIT: changed a bit around based on feedback

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Ishmael, level 11 Half-Elf, Avenger, Draeven Marauder
Build: Pursuing Avenger
Avenger's Censure Option: Censure of Pursuit
Half-Elf Power Selection Option: Dilettante
Chessenta (Chessenta Benefit)
Theme: Sohei  

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 20, CON 13, DEX 14, INT 11, WIS 20, CHA 9  

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 17, CON 10, DEX 13, INT 10, WIS 15, CHA 8    

AC: 25 
Fort: 23
Ref: 20
Will: 23
HP: 87
Surges: 8
Surge Value: 21  

TRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +12, Athletics +15, Endurance +11, Perception +17, Religion +10  

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +5, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +6, Dungeoneering +10, Heal +10, History +5, Insight +14, Intimidate +4, Nature +10, Stealth +7, Streetwise +4, Thievery +7  

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Sohei Attack: Sohei Flurry
Avenger Feature: Abjure Undead
Avenger Feature: Divine Guidance
Avenger Feature: Oath of Enmity
Ranger Attack 1: Twin Strike
Avenger Attack 1: Overwhelming Strike
Avenger Attack 1: Radiant Vengeance
Avenger Attack 1: Angelic Alacrity
Avenger Attack 1: Aspect of Might
Avenger Utility 2: Holy Blessing
Avenger Attack 3: Fury's Advance
Avenger Attack 3: Relentless Stride
Avenger Attack 5: Living Death Strike 
Avenger Utility 6: Aspect of Agility
Avenger Attack 9: Blade of Repulsion
Endurance Utility 10: Enter the Crucible
Draeven Marauder Attack 11: Impaling Strike  

FEATS
Level 1: Spear Expertise 
Level 2: Weapon Focus (Spear)
Level 4: Unarmored Agility
Level 6: Two-Weapon Fighting
Level 8: Battle Awareness
Level 11: Versatile Master
Level 11: Two-Weapon Opening  

ITEMS
Prime Shot Spear +3 x1 
Magic Short Spear +3 x1  
Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier) x1 
Amulet of Protection +2 x1
Magic Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +2 x1
Magic Holy Symbol +1 x1
Adventurer's Kit
1025 GP 
====== End ======

Bane of Gnomes. "An angel of snuggles is a bad match for evil gods." -Mike Mearls (Worlds&Monsters, p.72)
That's a retrain.

(Erachima seemed to cover it.  As a crit fisher you have two goals:

1. Chuck as many d20s as possible to get more crits

2. Do something important with those crits

Extra attacks on crits meet both goals)

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

ok, I see Two Weapon Opening is very nice, changed that. I didn't realize the ogre gloves were rare, changed them.
the starting item rules I'm using is: 1 item of level+1, an item of level, an item of level-1, and level-1 equivalent gold plus 100.
I do have too many uncommons. change amulet to +2, swap with armbands. guess I have to drop the gloves.

anyway, about the method. Is this gythka/draevan marauder thing decent ? are there any other ways to approach this idea ? thanks, 
Bane of Gnomes. "An angel of snuggles is a bad match for evil gods." -Mike Mearls (Worlds&Monsters, p.72)
Personally I'm not a fan of Resonant escape.  I think the "kill and move on" potential of Holy Blessing  is better.

E7 I would go back to an E3 and pick up Relentless Stride.

If you have stride the U6 Aspect of Agility can be quite nice.  It also helps your defenses a bit.  You can also set up a situation to almost garuntee Relentless Stride if your target is being a dick and not dying so you can Holy Blessing someone on the other side of the map.

U10 Reactive Surge gets a lot of love on the forums sometimes, but I generally prefer Enter the Crucible.  Yes it is a daily so that is full of sadness, but you will already have several immediates (if you pick up BA thats another).  Resist 10 can do a lot of heavy lifting in paragon.  The number of multi-attackers, ongoing damage and aura damages goes up dramatically after you make the crossover into paragon. 
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
I can tell you for sure that auras become very troublesome, especially when mutiple enemies have them.
prepping for play, updated a bit, incorporated most suggestions. two very big questions remain for me:

1) Theme! Sohei for a second minor action attack, or Ironwrought for an extra reroll?
extra minor only usable on my turn, better for nova round, and it can proc TWO. however, the extra reroll is easier to use.

2) am I actually accomplishing anything that a ranger|fighter/MC avenger doesn't? 
Disciple of Divine Secrets, Divine Channeler+Oath of Urgency, Acolyte Power+Holy Blessing; 6 rounds of rerolls? or is there a better way that uses less than 4 feats?
prepping for play, updated a bit, incorporated most suggestions. two very big questions remain for me:

1) Theme! Sohei for a second minor action attack, or Ironwrought for an extra reroll?
extra minor only usable on my turn, better for nova round, and it can proc TWO. however, the extra reroll is easier to use.

2) am I actually accomplishing anything that a ranger|fighter/MC avenger doesn't? 
Disciple of Divine Secrets, Divine Channeler+Oath of Urgency, Acolyte Power+Holy Blessing; 6 rounds of rerolls? or is there a better way that uses less than 4 feats?

I wouldn't do that as it takes a lot of feats for making you ok for 6 rounds (which you shouldn't need).  If you don't go avenger in any way you can take Acoltye + Holy blessing and that should be basically all you ever need.  2x 2 turn OoE will be good enough if you are adding in lots of extra multi-ttacks in there.

I'd consider looking at the Mia build, depending on if your group/dm can handle it.

For theme: I like Ironwrought.  It is simple, easy, does the job you want it to.  One of the other ones you could go for is Occulist although that burns your U2 (really not much else from the theme other than the U2) and is really only stellar if you have ways to recover surges (and you could look into vampire for that) and/or are in a campaign with short work-days.  Sohei also isn't bad, and since you are not going to be charging much it is the same number of extra rolls and an extra separte attack.

Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Ironwrought would also help you defensively. You will likely be bloodied very often with that AC.
Ironwrought would also help you defensively. You will likely be bloodied very often with that AC.

Do you see a way to fix the AC in there (without going charge and/or mauling his feats)?

UA would bring him to 25.  Which means at-level still hits him on a 9.  If he is specifically trying to avoid going charge-spam I don't see much of a way to really help his defenses...
Show
bloodthread enchant for armor gives +2 ac and saves when bloodied.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Which doesn't help him til bloodied, and also is uncommon so he can't get it starting out O.o
Show
also, since your DEX is kind of bad I would recommend going with censure of unity instead of of pursuit especially in paragon since the payoff of unity can be much better.  Personally I like having the extra minor action attack from Sohei, I find it very nice on my own crit venger.  Other things you could grab:  Wisdom of the Vault (training, gives +WIS modifier damage when you crit), Five Stars Five Strikes (has various readings of what it does, either it gives you 10 more attacks that you can crit on, gives you 10 attack rolls that can't crit, or gives you 10 attack rolls you can crit but not get your extra effects other than maxing the 1d8 it gives).

Don't know what's legal or not for you.

Erachima said most of the things I can think of other than that.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

Which doesn't help him til bloodied, and also is uncommon so he can't get it starting out O.o

Well the statement was that he would be bloodied a lot, so > bloodthread helps.  That said yeah, uncommon so no go.

My recommendation: Get a radiant weapon, take pact initiate and go Student of Caiphon for PP=good item bonus to damage (radiant weapon) & crit 18-20 at lvl 11. This means every time you twin strike you have nearly a 50% chance of critting.Never mind... need to get my errata update on. thx for heads up entropiccannuck... I'd wondered why no one had suggested it, now I know.
Student of Caiphon only works on warlock powers post errata.

Ironwrought also allows another shot at a crit, and comes with some survivability features.

@Gallard - Is the Gythka specifically for the PP & crit range?  Valanar  weapon training would give proficiency + focus, saving a feat, and as you mention you could get a Jagged Blade.  And, scimitars are high crit.

Student of Caiphon only works on warlock powers post errata.

Ironwrought also allows another shot at a crit, and comes with some survivability features.

@Gallard - Is the Gythka specifically for the PP & crit range?  Valanar  weapon training would give proficiency + focus, saving a feat, and as you mention you could get a Jagged Blade.  And, scimitars are high crit.

From what it looks like he is doing that to have a double weapon that is a spear for the purposes of the PP expanded crit range.  I might be wrong.  If so, he is kinda locked into them.
Show
the main purpose of the character is native expanded crit range at level 11.

the gythka is mainly to prevent buying 2 weapons during creation. upon further review, I guess it's not really necessary; I'll miss the darth maul style feel of wielding it though. may be better to just use Spear+Short Spear, and use the saved feat on Unarmored Agility. I'm so hesitant to use Jagged weapon because I want to leave weap enchant open for party optimization (frost, radiant, etc).

speaking of defenses, I know they're really (really) low, but should be better by 12. expecting to get/upgrade both neck and armor from +2 to +3, add the elven chain shirt, and get either imp defenses or sup will. with that and swapping gythka for UA, I think I'm looking at 28/27/24/28 for ac/f/r/w. not good, but better.

while I'm here, future item selection: suggestions for mid-upper end paragon? I'm horrible at item knowlege. 

one question: I found 'Symbol of Censure' with property "when you crit, target is dazed until start of your next turn" (paraphrased). will this work with my weeapon attacks? it lacks the very specific wording of "when you XXX with this implement, etc etc"; in fact, that wording IS present on the daily power for it, which makes me think the property does apply to my weapon.
the main purpose of the character is native expanded crit range at level 11.

the gythka is mainly to prevent buying 2 weapons during creation. upon further review, I guess it's not really necessary; I'll miss the darth maul style feel of wielding it though. may be better to just use Spear+Short Spear, and use the saved feat on Unarmored Agility. I'm so hesitant to use Jagged weapon because I want to leave weap enchant open for party optimization (frost, radiant, etc).

speaking of defenses, I know they're really (really) low, but should be better by 12. expecting to get/upgrade both neck and armor from +2 to +3, add the elven chain shirt, and get either imp defenses or sup will. with that and swapping gythka for UA, I think I'm looking at 28/27/24/28 for ac/f/r/w. not good, but better.

while I'm here, future item selection: suggestions for mid-upper end paragon? I'm horrible at item knowlege. 

one question: I found 'Symbol of Censure' with property "when you crit, target is dazed until start of your next turn" (paraphrased). will this work with my weeapon attacks? it lacks the very specific wording of "when you XXX with this implement, etc etc"; in fact, that wording IS present on the daily power for it, which makes me think the property does apply to my weapon.

You have to use the item for the attack iirc.  However I may be incorrect.

Many people default to Symbol of Victory.  Because more APs is more good. 
Show

Rule specifically applies to weapons, when making weapon attacks. AV. Really if it weren't for that one obscure line properties that didn't specify would just always work, instead they only work for Implements and/or on Implement attacks.

Rule specifically applies to weapons, when making weapon attacks. AV. Really if it weren't for that one obscure line properties that didn't specify would just always work, instead they only work for Implements and/or on Implement attacks.

Gotcha.  Rule is different than I remembered, but still makes it useless for this build.
Show
Even the argument that it can be done with implements requires willful blindness to the fact that the rule is by its own description a non-exhaustive example.

What? No. It limits itself specifically to weapons, is in the section about Magic weapons (each Implement section in the book has its own section, which doesn't mention the idea at all). Really they should have put something like that in the RC.

Many weapons have properties that provide a
constant benefit. To gain the benefit of a weapon’s
property, you must be wielding the weapon. Unless
specified otherwise, a property affects only the
weapon to which it’s attached. For example, a +2 cunning
dagger, which bestows a –2 penalty to an enemy’s
saving throws against your weapon powers, affects
only powers that are delivered using that weapon.
You couldn’t hold the weapon in your off-hand and
gain the benefit of the property on powers delivered
using a main weapon.
Is there a single definition of 'weapon' in the game? In other words, does it always mean light blade, heavy blade, hammer, polearm, etc. thus excluding implements, or can/does it also mean, "the thing you make an attack with?"
Is there a single definition of 'weapon' in the game? In other words, does it always mean light blade, heavy blade, hammer, polearm, etc. thus excluding implements, or can/does it also mean, "the thing you make an attack with?"

Weapons and implements are different categories.

Things that are in the category "Weapons." Mundane equipment section defines, if you're actually curious.
Even the argument that it can be done with implements requires willful blindness to the fact that the rule is by its own description a non-exhaustive example.

Except the PHB FAQ suggests otherwise:

"Can a Warlock benefit from holding two rods?
Yes, a warlock can gain the properties from two rods but he still can only use one to make an attack."

Things that are in the category "Weapons." Mundane equipment section defines, if you're actually curious.

Unless it happens to also be a class' implement (see dagger for a sorcerer).  You should be able to hold a cunning dagger implement in your off-hand and still benefit from the cunning property in conjunction with your primary hand implement used in the attack.  The AV verbiage doesn't apply to implement properties, since you never wield implements (you only 'hold' them).

Correct.
Sign In to post comments