Token Rules

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Some players in my local area have been having disagreements about the state of newly acquired token creatures. I just wanted to try and get an opinion on this from outside my area.
The issue they are having is whether or not Token Creatures come into play with summoning sickness. One side is saying that they do, because they are creatures. The other side is saying that they don't because they are placed on the field and not summoned/cast.
Some players in my local area have been having disagreements about the state of newly acquired token creatures. I just wanted to try and get an opinion on this from outside my area.
The issue they are having is whether or not Token Creatures come into play with summoning sickness. One side is saying that they do, because they are creatures. The other side is saying that they don't because they are placed on the field and not summoned/cast.

Yes they have summoning sickness.

The rule is that when a creature comes under your control, it has summoning sickness. The same rule applies if you steal a creature with control magic or anything that takes control of another persons creature. Unless the card that creates the token (or the card that takes control of a creature from an opponent) actually gives it haste, than it has summoning sickness.

The name summoning sickness often causes this confusion and many years ago you would have found this ruling going back and forth and a variety of house rules to cover such situations. Control magic used to often be played and ignore summoning sickness because you werent actually summoning. Regardless, the rules have been clarified (and have been clear for quite a few years now); summoning simply no longer has anything to do with summoning sickness.

Summoning sickness applies anytime a creature comes under your control, unless it has haste.
One side is saying that they do, because they are creatures.

This side is correct. 
The other side is saying that they don't because they are placed on the field and not summoned/cast.

This side is misinformed.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Here's the official rule.

302.6. A creature’s activated ability with the tap symbol or the untap symbol in its activation cost can’t be activated unless the creature has been under its controller’s control continuously since his or her most recent turn began. A creature can’t attack unless it has been under its controller’s control continuously since his or her most recent turn began. This rule is informally called the “summoning sickness” rule.

The other side is saying that they don't because they are placed on the field and not summoned/cast.

"Summoning" does not means "cast". In fact, 'summon' is not part of the rules anymore. It has no meaning.

Summoning Sickness applies to a creature if its controller hasn't controlled it continuously since that player's most recent turn - in short, to creatures entering the battlefield or changing controller.
It doesn't matter if they were cast as spells from hand, put into the battlefield directly (Elvish Pipper, most tokens), changed controllers (Mind Control), or even entered as something else and then became a creature the same turn (Gideon Jura can't become a creature and attack in his first turn).

[<o>]

Ask the side that is wrong to explain Thatcher Revolt. ;)

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
You can't attack right away with the creature you put on the battlefield with Elvish Piper.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

Sign In to post comments