Black Gauntlet Challenge

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Best Record: 6-1 by minddrifter (!Flush), Alejess

When dh50 came up with the "Gauntlet Challenge" I thought it was a great idea.  I use to do it all the time (just as a way to cycle through decks).  I also always do a "colored gauntlet" style.  In the "Black" challenge the way this works is to start with any Black deck and move to the right using a different deck with Black as a color until you have used every deck with Black in it.  Each opponent must be ranked (if applicable), random, and new from game to game (a different opponent each time).  Post your Black Gauntlets here!

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

"Black Gauntlet Challenge"

OD vs. SS = Loss.  I got mana screwed and he didn't.  By the time I recovered it was too late.

ED vs. SS = Loss.  My luck vs. SS continues.  This time I'm not doing too bad but he draws everything he needs to win.

SS vs. SS = Loss.  A good 'ol fashioned mirror match...He went first and stayed one step ahead the entire game.

GM vs. OD = Loss.  Finally, something other than SS...too bad I drew all Mountains and 1 Swamp...which he promtly destroyed on turn 4.  I woulda had this one too...oh well.

RG vs. BoF = Win.  I love this deck, and every game I play with it I am loving it even more, lol.  I was playing a rather odd VERY creature heavy deck...Let me put it this way, my Royal Assassin came out turn 3 stayed there until the very turn before I finished him off.  Note: Painful Quandary + Sangromancer is just pure brutality.  I love it!

MM vs. AW = Loss.  Weeee, one win under my belt and it's back to losing.  I was about to stomp this guy until the 'ol Fauna Shaman + Acidic Slime got me the turn before I was about to get going...

GP vs. AS = Win.  At least I got another win.  He was at 2 land for about 6 turns until he quit while I drew nothing but 1 land...but hey, a win is a win I suppose.

Overall Record: 2-5.  Wow...My worst Gauntlet by far.  I got screwed every which way possible.  Oh well, better luck next time I suppose.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

So I did these 5 gauntlets and boy did I have some bad luck on cards

Final scores recorded in 1 place, and posted within each thread with specifics:

BLACK = 4-3
RED = 2-5
WHITE = 5-3
GREEN = 0-7
BLUE = 2-5

BLACK:

GP vs CL = win
OD vs ED = loss
ED vs CW = loss
SS vs AS = win
GM vs AW = loss
RG vs BoF = win
MM vs BoF = win

Finally got this one in.

Not as happy as I could be but there were some fun games mixed in with one not so fun and two full of dicks.

Game 1:  OD  -  PK:  Win  With an Innocent Blood, a Crippling Blight and a Nantuko Shade I held my own as he wouldn't block my shade while trying to build up and army. Tendrils of Corruption takes Crusader of Odric and gains me some breathing space as I'm not holding the Shade back for blocking. He builds that beautiful army that PK is known for and Massacre Wurm had a great time with them. Now I know how SteelTownBeast keeps his rank. Not that he's good. Hell I've wupped on him more than once.... he concedes.

Game 2:  ED  -  BoF:  Win  Now this guy was a dick. I have an early Aven Squire and a Whispersilk Cloak and he wipes that after two turns with a Chandra's Fury and next he pulls out a Sulfuric Vortex and the next turn a Furnace Whelp that I promptly Pacifismed.
He then decides that if he lets the timer run out, I'm quit the game..... Ha!!!!!   Never. I'll get stuff done around the house. I drew into the other Whispersilk and Deathbringer Liege and bided my time until I had 7 mana. He smacked me with a little burn but nothing significant. 7 pops and I play the Deathbringer and Cloak it..... wait for it.... literally. 10 minutes later his turn ends and I play the Child of Night I drew and put the second Cloak on it. He let's the timer run down on his turn. My turn I go to swing lethal.... and he concedes..... What a Dick!

Game 3:  SS  -  SS:  Loss  A lot of trading back and forth of board presence with Scutes and Elders and Emissary's, Kill spells, Sac spells... all pretty even and we are ramping up our mana... and I have Grave Pact in play, so advantage is mine in life and board. Damnation, zealously one turn early on my part. Next he brings Morty and Lord and I only have on creature to block. He Go for the Throat's my creature, chooses Morty to sac and swings in with a 23/23 Lord..... oh Lordy Lordy Lord.

Game 4:  GM  -  MM:  Win  Draw into 1 mountain, 2 swamps, Vexing Devil, Hellhole Rats and 2 Demigod of Revenge's.
You have to keep that, right?  He starts ramping and I draw Chaos Warp but should I warp on of his two forests or his lone island? No, it would end up being something horrible I'm sure. I draw a Wrecking Ball and pondered destroying his island or his newly spawned Lightning Angel. I chose the Angel and he played Allied Strategies... a little late. Next turn I cast a Demigod and attack with Rat and Demi. He decides the next turn to Day of Judgment and, well.... I had that other Demi in my hand from the beginning............

Game 5:  RG  -  GM:  Loss  Don't have a lot to say about this one. I kept my head above water for a while using Agony Warp's to destroy his Hissing Iguanar's he played back-to-back while making his Blood Cultist a -2/1 for two turns. Not much to do against the Demigod he played other than to cast Abyssal Specter to block next turn that he Terminate's. Moroii didn't help much either.

Game 6:  MM  -  GG:  Loss  I don't even want to give this bringing out Goblin Balloon Brigade one the first turn, noobass, son of a bitch the honor of a rundown.   Hitting someone for 22 damage when they have 1 life, tapped out, and nothing on the battlefield......
I hope he feels good about himself.     I conceded before damage out of pure spite.

Game 7:  GP  -  GP:  Win  A good ol' how's your cut mirror match. I start with a Doomed Traveler and he plays the same. I attack as I have a Pillory, Unmake, and Bloodgift in my hand. We both get the flyer's and I get a bit jaunty and put the Pillory on his token. One of the best moves I've ever made. With the constant damage it just started the clock. He Pillory's my token... HA!!!!   I love it. I get to bring out a Mourning Thrull to help me make up for the Pillory. I play the Bloodgift Demon and it survives! It give me another Unmake next turn so I hold it. He plays Necromancer's Covenant one me the next turn and gains one lifelinker. Next turn, I unmake his lifelinker and my Pillory'd token and swing in with the Thrull and Demon..... Concede again dammit.

That gives me a 4-3.... damn.
Once I finish all the colors I want to do a phase 2 like drifter.
I think I could do better without the ****s.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

OD v GM: win
close win after some early  mana screw put me in a seriously bad position. The life gain/removal combo from tendrils is what saved me.

ED v Sas: loss
well,  lets see, any chance against a momir vig + fable when you're only drawing land? i don't think so.

SS v AW: win
complete and utter domination. He managed to get wild pair on the b/f but i'd been saving a maelstrom pulse

GM v SaS: win
singe-mind ogre was the MVP in this game (not without help from protean hulk though). 7 damage when I drop the first one, then got 1 attack in for 6 dmg, then shimmered the ogre for another 7 dmg.

RG v PK: win (via concede)
I was going to lose this game if my opponent didn't concede, but in one of his second main phases he just didn't continue to the end phase (he was top-decking and had no cards in hand; i.e. he had no plays to make), then he concedes. I didn't deserve to lose the game though, he just had the most insane luck and I was already down at the start having to mull twice (all land then no land) and going first.

MM v GP: win
slow start as I drew no ramp or card draw in my first 8 or so turns, but it was OK as I started with a cultivate and three land in my opening hand. It was a bit worrying when my opponent dropped their second falkenrath noble, I wiped the board the next turn which took me down to 5 life but managed to get an attack in with my steelwind shpinx before it was removed -- not that it mattered though, because I didn't lose any further life for the rest of the game.

GP v RG: loss 
things didn't go so smoothly for this game. First, I was mana screwed (2nd game in a row); second, I drew all three of my doomed travellers and other low CMC cards such as onyx mage, while I drew none of my game winners/changers (the other half of the deck); finally, at one point I skipped one of my turns by accident because the game didn't recognise my 5 pushes of the A button but decided to acknowledge my single push of the Y button that followed -- full credit to my opponent though, they played a very smart game.

final record: 5-2

damn, this was one of my best gauntlets, but my first loss with GP had to interfere 
I think I could do better without the ****s.

I always seem to run into complete and utter tossers on PS3. I've played against some of 65421 ranked people as well and they're horrible players who either solely run turbo mill or concede if things aren't going their own way.  

I did the black gauntlet today -

Game 1 – GP vs. CW – win.

Best game ever.  In general, this matchup is outstanding for GP because of the Ghost Council of Wrecking Talrand, and I had it in my opening hand.  Of course, they countered it, but I also had the Angel of Resurrecting the Ghost Council of Wrecking Talrand and she brought it back to me two turns later.  Three Rite of Replications into the game, the CW player had a single Bloodgift Demon (and I let him have it because at that point they were at 3 life).   I ended the game by sacking the Ghost Council on their turn, then sacking it on my turn, forcing them to give me the card from the Bloodgift since it put them at 1 life, then sacking the it again on their turn. 

Game 2 – OD vs. AW – loss.

Worst game ever.  I mulliganned to 5 and took a 1 land hand because it had a Sign in Blood, a medallion, and 2 Murders.  That one land, in 8 turns, was the only land I ever saw.  And it was destroyed by a slime. 

Game 3 – ED vs. PI – win

I was marginally winning this game, then my opponent quit (right after playing a Primal Huntbeast).  The next turn, the AI played a Dungrove Elder.  Those 2 had their way with me; I thought I was going to lose for most of it until, when I was at 2 life, I drew the 5th land and I could play a Battlegrace Angel.  I think if the human player had stuck it out, I would have lost.

Game 4 – SS vs. OD – win

A turn 2 Blood Artist was never killed.  It probably did 8-9 points of damage over the course of the game.  The OD player also played Grieselbrand, drew cards and took the life drain, putting them at 6 life.  I killed it, putting them at 5, then swung in with my Elder and my Troll Ascetic and that was that. 

Game 5 – GM vs. AS – loss.

I had 2 draws the entire game that were not land.  And neither of them was capable of dealing with a Daybreak Coronet on a hexproof creature.  This game makes me want to put Malefegor back in my deck.

Game 6 – RG vs. MS – win.

Nemesis of Reason for the win.  The MS player didn’t have burn strong enough to kill it.  It only milled them to 9 cards because I had lethal damage, but it would have milled them the next turn if I hadn't had lethal.  There was no world short of Insurrection that could have won them the game (although I didn't see it in their graveyard so maybe they still had a chance).

Game 7 - MS vs. DP - loss

I believe this is my first online loss with MM (I don't play MM anymore outside of these challenges though - playng it is like playing goblins - it feels dirty).  I think I also mis-played my last two turns; I should have brought Pernicious Deed back from the graveyard to get rid of a Font of Mythos - I needed one more turn to deal lethal damage, but didn't get it.  As it was, the DP player for some reason played his hand on the last turn even though I only had one card in my library and was drawing 2 - he played two crabs but had no land - so if I had played it correctly, I would have won.  Oh well.

Final record - 4-3 - two mana screws and one misplayed game. 

"Black Gauntlet Round 2"

OD vs. MS = Win.  Using a heavier creature build with MS, OD didn't have too tough of a time here to grab a win.

ED vs. GP = Win.  A Vindicate on GP's only Swamp ensured victory in this game.

SS vs. BoF = Loss.  I was stuck with 2 mana for too long (even with every freakin ramp in this build, lol).  Oh well, BoF is a worthy adversary anyhow.

GM vs. SS = Win.  SS didn't do too bad but GM was hitting fast and hard.  It's tough to beat GM when it is working so well.

RG vs. PI = Win.  I don't think I would have won this one if PI had stuck around but for some reason he left.  I guess a win is a win though.

MM vs. CW = Win.  I had to mul to 6 but it was no problem after a couple Cultivate and Allied Strategies.

GP vs. DP = Win.  DP was stuck at 2 mana for a couple turns then 3 mana.  He did some bouncing but it wasn't enough.  Not 1 mill sighted.

Overall: 6-1.  This is more like it from a black run, lol.  SS is typically my strongest deck too!  Always something keeping me from that perfect run!  Perhaps in round 3. ;P 

I really enjoyed the main Gauntlet challenge, so once I got over the shock of seeing my PS3 die on me, I decided to give a couple of the colour specific ones a go. My red challenge didn't go well, but the black one was smooth sailing all the way: black is arguably the ‘strongest’ overall colour in 2013, and the challenge certainly seemed to go that way for me.

Obedient Dead wins vs. Goblin Gangland. Managed to survive until Massacre Wurm hit the deck: I owe so many wins to this card it’s unreal.

Exalted Darkness wins vs. Aura servants. No idea what opponent had in his hand, because he hardly played a single card.

Sepulchral Strength wins vs. Celestial Light. Top tier deck vs. bottom tier deck, and it showed in this match.

Grinning Malice wins vs. Beserker Rage: Ashenmoor Gouger plus Goblin Deathraiders plus Ashenmoor Liege did the damage. Very quick win

Rogues’ Gallery wins vs. Rogues’ Gallery. Unremarkable match: only noteworthy thing is that not a single card was discarded throughout the whole game!

Grim Procession wins vs. Grim Procession. Another mirror match. I drew Stillmoon Cavalier and my opponent didn’t.

Mana Mastery loses vs. Grinning Malice. Thought I had this one in the bag, and that the 7-0 clean sweep was mine. I was down to 3 life, but had established a board presence with flyers, and my opponent had no creatures and no cards. He then top decked into a Blightning, thereby ruining my record and my day!

Overall: 6-1. Very pleased with that: by far and away the best gauntlet that I’ve run. And soooo close to 7-0 too.

Black Gauntlet #2.

Little disappointed with this one as I suffered through a week of bad internet and two days trying to get the MM game in as I kept getting kicked off the servers. Finally got the net back and did the MM to a quick concede that I was not very happy with.

Game 1:   OD   -    RG    Win:
Classic game of a person not exactly getting what their card does or if they do, not knowing what yours does, or a combination of the two.
He cast first Mask of Riddles. Next turn I cast Underworld Dreams, he casts Crafty Pathmage. Next he hit's just not getting it yet. I cast Nantuko Shade on my endstep. He casts Helm of the Ghastlord on the Pathmage and swings... still not getting it. Next turn I get a bit of damage in with the Shade. He casts Royal Assassin which I Murder the next turn. He attacks again!
Then he gets it and concedes most likely out of embarrassment but I can't know for sure.

Game 2:   ED   -   DP   Win:
People seem to love quitting on me.
I cast Cathedral of War and he cast Jace's Phantasm. Next he mills I get out a Darklit Gargoyle. He stays. Next he mills more, I cast a second Gargolye and attack with the first. He let's me through and plays Font of Mythos....excellent. Mu hah hahahhhaaaa. Next he cast Hedron Crab and Sword of Body and Mind. I swing with both Gargoyles and he decides to chump his Phantasm. Next he equips the Crab and I give it a bit of Doom Blade. Hah!
Next he cast Telemin Performance milling me for one card and gets Sublime Archangel. Next turn Doom Blade.
He concedes.

Game 3:   SS   -   PI   Win:
This was a fun, interactive game.
I start off with Blood Artist and a Viridian Emissary while he ramps. Hit him with Mind Rot, discards Prey Upon and a Forest.
Next he plays a Sentinel Spider and I cast Creakwood Liege. He attacks with the Spider and I block with the Emissary. He cast another Spider attacks and I block with a 3/3 token... loving the Artist, I cast Grave Pact. Next he cast Primeval Titan and I another Emissary. Next he attacks with both spiders. I block on with the Emissary and Go for the Throat the other. He sacs the wounded Spider.
God I love Blood Artist. Yup, if he hadn't discarded Prey Upon I probably wouldn't have it anymore.
Next he blows in an Avenger of Zendikar for 7 then plays a land. Cast Primal Bellow on the Titan and swings. I block with the Emissary and a token and he sacs a few plants.
Next I topdeck Damnation for perfect lethal.   GG.

Game 4:   GM   -   Sas   Loss:
Needs no in-depth. It was a long, interactive game but I lost it as I stupidly thought in the heat of the moment I could give my 7/6 Demigod haste and attack using Sootsoak while it had Claustrophobia on it.
DUH  D  D   DURP
Would have won me the game if I could have hit with it.

Game 5:   RG   -   PI   Loss:
Couldn't get Ashling through while he had a hexproof with Blanchwood.

Game 6:   MM   -   PK   Win:
Sucks. He cast Spectral Rider. I cast Cultivate.... He concedes.

Game 7:   GP   -   BoF   Loss:
Hard won loss.
Vampire Nighthawk gets Searing Spear. Blaze for 5. Deathbringer Liege - Chandra's Phoenix. Cast Bloodgift Demon killing (hah) the Phoenix, attack with Liege. Chandra's Outrage on the Liege. Cast Falkenrath Noble hit with Demon. Unmake Phoenix.... Chain Reaction?!!!!. Leaves him with one life and my 5. Unmake Fire Servant. He Spears me for 3 on his endstep. I cast Divinity of Pride and he hits me with a Zenith and get the game.

4-3

Ouch!

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

I just updated my gauntlet results. I bit the bullet and downloaded deck pack 2, so now I'm playing through to complete all the gauntlets. Unfotrunately, in this case I lost with GP to RG after some mana screw to end with a record of 5-2.
"Black Gauntlet Challenge Round 3"

Game 1:  OD vs. AS = Win.  AS said they were playing a W/U deck but he had all plains and played a white card every single turn, lol.  Black wins.

Game 2:  ED vs. DP = Win.  DP was milling like usual but didn't get past 3 Islands the entire game.  Black wins.

Game 3:  SS vs. CL = Win.  CL started off a little slow and by the time a Sewer Nemesis + Vulturous Zombie came out he was to scared to cast anything to win, lol.  Black wins.

Game 4:  GM vs. MS = Win.  I was mana screwed at 2 mana for 2 turns, then 3 mana for another 2 turns (finally 4 in the end).  MS was in the opposite boat doing next to nothing other than laying down land after land.  I did Terminate 1 Wee Dragonauts during my scre/his flood.  I won by casting a Blightning during my 3 land phase.  Then when he finally busted out a Conquering Manticore I Heat Shimmered it and went in for 10 (that was awesome).  He threw down a Sphinx of Jwar Isle but it was too late as my 4th land finally came in and I won with a Singe-Mind Ogre.  What a game!  Black wins.

Game 5:  RG vs. DP = Loss.  I was at 3 mana for two turns after my third and wasn't able to bounce back.  Will there ever be a game without some mana issue on either side?  Not looking like it so far.  Black loses.

Game 6:  MM vs. PI = Win.  Finally, no land problems.  Unfortunately for PI I ramped up into a Sphinx of the Steel Wind that pretty much sealed the deal.  Black wins.

Game 7:  GP vs. SaS = Loss.  Again, no land problems.  GP wasn't doing perfect, but it wasn't doing bad.  SaS on the other hand was drawing like a god.  He got everything he needed every freakin turn, it was killin me.  Black loses.

Overall:  5-2.  Again, I can't complain about 5-2...but man that last game was so close and he just topdecked everything he needed.  Oh well.  It's still killin me, lol. 

Sign In to post comments