Paladin boosting Leader capabilties as much as possible while still being a good defender

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I'm trying to build a Defender with some strong Leader capabillties for a friend...I tried a bunch of hybrids but the best fit seems to be Paladins since they naturally have some leader capabilities...my friend also requested as many fire powers as possible but that kind of fell flat so we refluffed any of his Radiant or Fire power to be "Holy Fire" thus both Radiant & Fire

Note: Items are based on a Lvl 9 character Lvl11 shown to allow discussion on Paragon namely the PP

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Devran Wolfblade, level 11
Tiefling, Paladin, Hospitaler
Build: Virtuous Paladin
Background: Merchant Prince (Merchant Prince Benefit)
Theme: Guardian

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 17, Dex 9, Int 11, Wis 18, Cha 21.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 14, Dex 8, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 16.

AC: 28 Fort: 21 Reflex: 20 Will: 23
HP: 92 Surges: 13 Surge Value: 23

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +10, Heal +14, Endurance +9, Diplomacy +15, Insight +18

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Arcana +5, Bluff +12, Dungeoneering +9, History +5, Intimidate +10, Nature +9, Perception +11, Stealth +2, Streetwise +10, Thievery, Athletics +2

FEATS
Level 1: Imperious Majesty
Level 2: Wrath of the Crimson Legion
Level 4: Virtuous Recovery
Level 6: Heavy Blade Expertise
Level 8: Resourceful Leader OR Any Daily Heal Multi-class Feat (Cleric, Bard, Etc.)
Level 10: Mark of Warding
Level 11: Honored Foe

POWERS
Lay on Hands: Lay on Hands
Paladin at-will 1: Virtuous Strike
Paladin at-will 1: Ardent Strike
Paladin encounter 1: Valorous Smite
Paladin daily 1: Majestic Halo
Paladin utility 2: Bless Weapon
Paladin encounter 3: Righteous Smite
Paladin daily 5: Unyielding Faith
Paladin utility 6: Virtue
Paladin encounter 7: Price of Cowardice
Paladin daily 9: Ray of Reprisal
Paladin utility 10: Wrath of the Gods

ITEMS
Heavy Shield, Firewind Longsword +2, Black Iron Plate Armor +2, Healer's Brooch +2
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======
Heavy Blade Expertise => Devout Protector Expertise.
Ardent Strike => Virtuous Strike
Bless Weapon => Call of Challenge 
Ray of Reprisal => Glorious Charge 
Price of Cowardice => Astral Thunder
Symbol of the Champion's Code. 
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Well, you're most of the way there already. Now take Auspicious Birth, Secrets of Belial, and swap in Mantle of Unity.

Also, just take the CHA MBA power instead of the CHA MBA feat. Way cheaper.

I have Virtuous Strike already, WotCL was taken for Paladin's Wrath, the 2nd At-Will and for minor RP reasons

Secrets of Belial is cool...can't find this mantle of unity though...whats it do?

Oh and Devout Protector Expertise is awesome
Lvl 8 feat: Divine Channeler - Healer's Mercy. Now you have an encounter heal all bloodied allies within 5.

Right Now: 
Get a shield for your offhand. 
Look into either Virtue (U2) or Deliverance of Faith (U6 - Religion) to give yourself a buffer of THPs and cut down on healing resources for the rest of the party, as you'll have surges to burn.
You've got decent wisdom, so consider a background that gives you Perception as a class skill and a bonus to it, something like Detective or Missing Master (which both also give you Insight and the bonus).
Get masterwork plate armor.  Rimefire for resist 1 all, or the AC boosting option.  Either is solid.

Mid Paragon: 
Superior Will and Dispater's Iron Discipline are an amazing combination for Tieflings.  Grab them at some point before mid Paragon.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
Bard U10, everyone in a CB5 pools the highest defences for a round per encounter.  Very nice.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Is there a specific reason that you rejected the hybrid options? Most of the Paladin|Leaders work strongly and then you have some actual Leader options as opposed to spending multiple feats to get them. Paladin|Lazy Warlord boosts party initiative, gets you Direct the Strike, and Vengeance is Mine when you get attacked by your marked opponent. Paladin|Ardent has Ire Strike to set up opponents, Forward-Thinking Cut to enable charging. Paladin|Bard has Blunder, Staggering Note, Mantle of Unity, Revitalizing Incantation. With Devout Protector Expertise, you have a feat bonus to the Bard Implement powers.

All those builds do not need Strength - just need to spend your hybrid talent feat to pick up Paladin Armor.

In any case, I'd boost your NADs if you can. They're painfully low for a Defender. 
Is there a specific reason that you rejected the hybrid options?

I didn't reject them I just couldn't find anything that worked...I probably just sucked...I'll look into em though.

Anyways made some adjustments on suggestions for Paladin

Tiefling, Paladin, Hospitaler
Build: Virtuous Paladin
Background: Missing Master (Missing Master Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 17, Dex 9, Int 11, Wis 18, Cha 21.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 14, Dex 8, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 16.

AC: 28 Fort: 21 Reflex: 20 Will: 23
HP: 92 Surges: 13 Surge Value: 23

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +10, Heal +14, Perception +17, Diplomacy +15, Insight +19

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +4, Arcana +5, Bluff +12, Dungeoneering +9, Endurance +8, History +5, Intimidate +10, Nature +9, Stealth +6, Streetwise +10, Thievery +4, Athletics +6

FEATS
Level 1: Imperious Majesty
Level 2: Master of Stories
Level 4: Virtuous Recovery
Level 6: Devout Protector Expertise
Feat User Choice: Power of the Sun
Level 8: Divine Channeler (Cleric)
Level 10: Mark of Warding
Level 11: Honored Foe

POWERS
Divine Channeler (Cleric): Healer's Mercy
Lay on Hands: Lay on Hands
Paladin at-will 1: Virtuous Strike
Paladin at-will 1: Bolstering Strike
Paladin encounter 1: Valorous Smite
Paladin daily 1: Glorious Charge
Paladin utility 2: Call of Challenge
Paladin encounter 3: Righteous Smite
Paladin daily 5: Unyielding Faith
Paladin utility 6: Virtue
Paladin encounter 7: Price of Cowardice
Paladin daily 9: Ray of Reprisal
Paladin utility 10: Wrath of the Gods

ITEMS
Heavy Shield, Firewind Longsword +2, Black Iron Plate Armor +2, Healer's Brooch +2

I didn't reject them I just couldn't find anything that worked...I probably just sucked...I'll look into em though.

All you need to really do is:
Pick the Leader class you want to hybrid into.
Spend the hybrid talent feat on Paladin Armor
Pick sky blue options for your Leader choices based your stats. 

All you need to really do is:
Pick the Leader class you want to hybrid into.
Spend the hybrid talent feat on Paladin Armor
Pick sky blue options for your Leader choices based your stats. 

Is there anyway to get LoH back?
No.  But you get leader heals anyway.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
No.  But you get leader heals anyway.

+1.

And access to additional Leader heals that blow some of the Paladin options out of the water. Compare Virtue against Revitalizing Incantation...spend a surge to gain temp hp = surge or target spends a surge to gain temp hp = surge and heals a surge worth of hp on top of it...
Paladin|Warlord, pick mostly lazy warlord powers until you get DFTS (e13) using Virtuous Strike. You could also get a second (e.g. Hale of Steel (e17)) using Bracers of Mental Might.

Or of course you could have attack-standard strength and use the strength-based paladin powers. 
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Doesn't Sainted Justice cover pretty much what he wants?  Probably a few more options since it was made, but it's still a good framework to work from.
Doesn't Sainted Justice cover pretty much what he wants?  Probably a few more options since it was made, but it's still a good framework to work from.

Really only needs Sup. Will, Devout Protector, and a theme... for the most part it is otherwise still optimized.
Hmmm...looks pretty awesome actually....here's my attempt to update it (items assume level 8 start)

Note: Healer's Brooch and Mace of Healing have the exact same effect...do these stack?

Edit: Updated build based on suggestions

The Saint "Revised"
Tiefling, Warlord|Paladin, Hospitaler
Warlord Leadership: Combat Leader (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlord: Hybrid Warlord Fortitude
Hybrid Paladin: Hybrid Paladin Fortitude
Hybrid Talent: Paladin Armor Proficiency
Theme: Knight Hospitaler

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 16, Dex 9, Int 11, Wis 16, Cha 23.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 13, Dex 8, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 18.

AC: 28 Fort: 24 Reflex: 21 Will: 25
HP: 79 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 19

TRAINED SKILLS
Insight +15, Heal +13, Diplomacy +16

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Arcana +5, Bluff +13, Dungeoneering +8, Endurance +4, History +5, Intimidate +11, Nature +8, Perception +8, Religion +5, Stealth +2, Streetwise +11, Thievery, Athletics +1

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 4: Devout Protector Expertise
Level 6: Imperious Majesty
Level 8: Superior Will
Level 10: Improved Defenses
Level 11: Combat Commander

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Enfeebling Strike
Hybrid at-will 1: Direct the Strike
Hybrid encounter 1: Vengeance is Mine
Hybrid daily 1: Majestic Halo
Hybrid utility 2: Call of Challenge
Hybrid encounter 3: Valorous Smite
Hybrid daily 5: Stand the Fallen
Hybrid utility 6: Inspiring Reaction
Hybrid encounter 7: Price of Cowardice
Hybrid daily 9: Warlord's Recovery
Hybrid utility 10: ???

ITEMS
Healer's Brooch +2, Benefactor Layered Plate Armor +2, Shield of Deflection Heavy Shield (heroic tier), Vigilant Blade +2

Hmmm...looks pretty awesome actually....here's my attempt to update it (items assume level 8 start)

Note: Healer's Brooch and Mace of Healing have the exact same effect...do these stack?

The Saint "Revised"

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

TRAINED SKILLS

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Arcana +5, Bluff +13, Dungeoneering +8, Endurance +4, History +5, Intimidate +11, Nature +8, Perception +8, Religion +5, Stealth +2, Streetwise +11, Thievery, Athletics +1

FEATS
Level 8: Improved Defenses
Level 10: Improved Inspiring Word

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Enfeebling Strike (retrained to Enfeebling Strike at Level 2)
Hybrid utility 10: Fight on, Friend

ITEMS
Healer's Brooch +2, Benefactor Layered Plate Armor +2, Shield of Deflection Heavy Shield (heroic tier), Mace of Healing +2

I wouldn't take Improved Inspiring Word. +Cha hp once per encounter isn't particularly strong. Superior Will is much more important.

Also, Winter's Arrival means that if say you're immobilized or find yourself in difficult terrain, you can mark with Divine Challenge, teleport next to your mark, and then do something. Or if your mark gets away from you and you don't have an easy way to attack it and that's the target you want challenged for Hospitaler, you can still get next to it to maintain your challenge.

It won't be critical in every fight, but when it is, it is omg critical.

The Saint "Revised"

FINAL ABILITY SCORES

STARTING ABILITY SCORES

TRAINED SKILLS

UNTRAINED SKILLS

FEATS
Level 8: Improved Defenses
Level 10: Improved Inspiring Word

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Enfeebling Strike (retrained to Enfeebling Strike at Level 2)
Hybrid utility 10: Fight on, Friend

ITEMS
Healer's Brooch +2, Benefactor Layered Plate Armor +2, Shield of Deflection Heavy Shield (heroic tier), Mace of Healing +2

No they are both adding an enhancement bonus so the higher of the two would apply

No they are both adding an enhancement bonus so the higher of the two would apply

I figured just the creator seemed to be stacking them (I'll change the weapon when I get a second)

I wouldn't take Improved Inspiring Word. +Cha hp once per encounter isn't particularly strong. Superior Will is much more important.

IIW I agree feels kinda meh...I'm looking into another feat now but SW really...a +1 Will save IMO is so minor I don't get the love fest this forum seems to have with it (I see it suggested constantly) the

Also, Winter's Arrival means that if say you're immobilized or find yourself in difficult terrain, you can mark with Divine Challenge, teleport next to your mark, and then do something. Or if your mark gets away from you and you don't have an easy way to attack it and that's the target you want challenged for Hospitaler, you can still get next to it to maintain your challenge.

I agree its a nice ability but honestly so is being able to use a ability which is essentially the Resurrection spell from 3.5 as a minor action

I figured just the creator seemed to be stacking them

I would switch to Superior Will or make it a priority at 12. Improved defenses is really nice but could wait until a little later but getting dazed for a leadfender will suck. Lets remember that dazed only allows for one action and Direct the Strike is ranged attack so it would provoke. Those are pretty good defenses so it may not matter to much but really, why risk it if you have another option.
Edit
Maybe it is because one, Weapon of Healing, specifies item bonus equal to enhancement whereas the Healer's Brooch just specifies the enhancement bonus. Adding ITEM to the weapon may change the type of bonuses.
You add the brooch's enhancement bonus, which is a value - e.g. 4. It's not adding it as an enhancement bonus. Even if you read it the other way, weapon of healing is definitely an item bonus.

IIW I agree feels kinda meh...I'm looking into another feat now but SW really...a +1 Will save IMO is so minor I don't get the love fest this forum seems to have with it (I see it suggested constantly) the

You get to save against stunned/daze at the start of your turn. If you're dazed/stunned and can't get to your challenge target during your turn, you lose divine challenge...

Not to mention, when you eventually pick up Hero's Poise and Dispater's Iron Discipline, if someone dazes or stuns you, you will nearly auto-save against them at the start of your turn and then hand out +Cha to all saves for allies within 5 of you.

I agree its a nice ability but honestly so is being able to use a ability which is essentially the Resurrection spell from 3.5 as a minor action

? Fight On Friend is surgeless healing, heal 2 surges, and make a save as a Daily. It is an effective power, but it isn't the resurrection spell by any means.
Mmmmm...start of turn save...missed that...I'll change that than...also changed Utility 10 to ??? while I mull over the various possibilities
But you're a Tiefling:  that means Secrets of Belial will let you poach any utility from another class.  So you can be a Paladin|Warlord and still snag a Cleric utility to save an ally (as if a Hospitaler didn't have enough healing), if that's the direction you want to take the build.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
But you're a Tiefling:  that means Secrets of Belial will let you poach any utility from another class.  So you can be a Paladin|Warlord and still snag a Cleric utility to save an ally (as if a Hospitaler didn't have enough healing), if that's the direction you want to take the build.

Any suggestions...theres ALOT of non-Paladin|Warlord Utilities...there's GOT to be a hidden gem in that sea...also which utility would you drop

Any suggestions...theres ALOT of non-Paladin|Warlord Utilities...also which utility would you drop

If looking for healing from the cleric you could go for Bastion of health(lvl 6 minor healsurge + CHA mod). I guarantee i'm missing an obvious awesome choice though. 

Any suggestions...theres ALOT of non-Paladin|Warlord Utilities...also which utility would you drop

If looking for healing from the cleric you could go for Bastion of health(lvl 6 minor healsurge + CHA mod). I guarantee i'm missing an obvious awesome choice though. 

Yeah thats a nice one...also the DM is saying that he might make it so "Secrets of Belial" just grants a free Utility (from any class) as opposed to replacing one (done so in builder by using SoB normally than granting a extra utility of that level to ttake the original utility)

It doesn't need to be healing either if its awesome enough...I'm sure there's a Utility out there that Paladin's or Warlords would kill to have
Yeah thats a nice one...also the DM is saying that he might make it so "Secrets of Belial" just grants a free Utility (from any class) as opposed to replacing one (done so in builder by using SoB normally than granting a extra utility of that level to ttake the original utility)

Wow...

First person I've ever heard of who thought Secrets of Belial wasn't sufficiently overpowered already... 

Wow...

First person I've ever heard of who thought Secrets of Belial wasn't sufficiently overpowered already... 

Were not gonna complain when the DM grants something extra :P

Any suggestions on a power to choose I'm going through the list but it will likely take hours to do that than more hours to narrow the choice down to one
Use your utility slot for an in class utility power that can add something different to your repetoir and the use secrets for the Bard level 6 Revitalizing Incantation.

Were not gonna complain when the DM grants something extra :P

Any suggestions on a power to choose I'm going through the list but it will likely take hours to do that than more hours to narrow the choice down to one

As a Chaladin- maybe Eagle's Splendor (Druid 6, from HotFK).  Minor action, daily (but lasts until next extended rest), +1 power bonus to attack and to Will, +2 power bonus to all CHA based skill and CHA ability checks.
You could take Tactical Orders @10 and then retrain your level 6 utility into something like virtue for some extra survivability on your front line character.
Or Slick Concotion to replace Reorient the Axis...

The possibilities are nearly limitless, and will depend a lot on what you find yourself needing.  My suggestion would be play a few encounters and see what you find your party coming up short on.  Could be healing, or save granting, or positioning, or enabling.  You get the idea.  Then use Secrets of Belial to patch that deficiency.

Bargle wrote:

Zelink wrote:
Or Slick Concotion to replace Reorient the Axis...

The possibilities are nearly limitless, and will depend a lot on what you find yourself needing.  My suggestion would be play a few encounters and see what you find your party coming up short on.  Could be healing, or save granting, or positioning, or enabling.  You get the idea.  Then use Secrets of Belial to patch that deficiency.

+1
So I went through various possibilites than used the various char-op guides to narrow down the choice I've made, unfortunately I still have 6 possibilities.

Eagle's Splendor - Daily but is essentially permanent(Druid) +1 Attack, +1 Will, +2 Cha Skills
From the Brink - Daily (Ardent) If Dying Heals 2D10+Cha Mod+Surge and Free Action to stand up
Energy Conversion - Encounter Imm. In.(Artificer) Resist 5+Wis Mod, gain same THP after attack
Mantle of Unity - Encounter (Bard) - Everyone (in burst 5) share best NADs/AC until EoNT  
Word of Life - Daily (Bard) - Imm Rea to target dying, target spends healing surge
Word of Vigor - Encounter (Cleric) - User and adj. allies regain heal surge + 2D6

What do you guys think?

Honorable Mentions (for being cool)
Winged Weapon - Encounter (Battlemind) Think Jedi Saber Throw
Slick Concoction - Encounter (Artificer) Portal Fast Slide Goo
You take Mantle of Unity, then at 22 you revel in changing it to Chlimactic Chord, which is one of the Bard's best enabling daily attack powers, only it's a utility...
You take Mantle of Unity, then at 22 you revel in changing it to Chlimactic Chord, which is one of the Bard's best enabling daily attack powers, only it's a utility...

Oh yeah I saw Climatic Chord...it's amazing and will definately retrain if we make it that far

Can't argue with this.
Or take the runepriest one that lets you pass out a crapload of healing scrolls.
Or take the runepriest one that lets you pass out a crapload of healing scrolls.

This is a pretty legit option that needs to be mentioned here.  If you are going to be poaching and being the main leader this can go a long way towards not having to buff up your healing side.  You can pretty much take this, tell everyone to heal themselves and proceed to build yourself as a defender/striker with a drizzling of enabling/healing instead of having to building specifically into leader.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
I kinda like the idea of the combination of Paladin with a Warlord so i made a build till level 11. a bulwark with healing abilitys and offering the striker a free basic attack if needed.

i only have trouble with Warlord Attack 5: Stand the Fallen cause it is the only Strength vs. AC attack and that has a very low hit chance (like the most other powers available on this level). any ideas for improvement ? - maybe a good retrain ?

Show
Brimstone, level 11 Tiefling, Paladin/Warlord, Hospitaler Hybrid Paladin
Option: Hybrid Paladin Fortitude Warlord Leadership
Option: Combat Leader (Hybrid) Hybrid Warlord
Option: Hybrid Warlord Fortitude Hybrid Talent 
Option: Paladin Armor Proficiency Merchant Prince (Merchant Prince Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 11, CON 16, DEX 9, INT 11, WIS 16, CHA 23  

STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 10, CON 13, DEX 8, INT 10, WIS 13, CHA 18    

AC: 28 Fort: 25 Ref: 21 Will: 26 HP: 79 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 19  

TRAINED SKILLS Diplomacy +16, Heal +13, Insight +15  

UNTRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +0, Arcana +5, Athletics +1, Bluff +13, Dungeoneering +8, Endurance +4, History +5, Intimidate +11, Nature +8, Perception +8, Religion +5, Stealth +2, Streetwise +11, Thievery +0  

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack 
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Knight Hospitaler Utility: Shield of Devotion
Paladin Feature: Divine Challenge
Warlord Feature: Inspiring Word
Feat Utility: Paladin's Wrath
Paladin Attack 1: Enfeebling Strike
Warlord Attack 1: Direct the Strike
Warlord Attack 1: Vengeance is Mine
Paladin Attack 1: Majestic Halo
Paladin Utility 2: Call of Challenge
Paladin Attack 3: Righteous Smite
Warlord Attack 5: Stand the Fallen
Warlord Utility 6: Inspiring Reaction
Paladin Attack 7: Price of Cowardice
Warlord Attack 9: Warlord's Recovery
Diplomacy Utility 10: Noble Sacrifice
Hospitaler Attack 11: Warding Blow  

FEATS
Level 8: Superior Will
Level 10: Improved Defenses

ITEMS Helm of Opportunity (heroic tier) x1 Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier) x1 Healer's Brooch +2 x1 Shield of Deflection Heavy Shield (heroic tier) x1 Vigilant Blade Longsword +2 x1 Benefactor Plate Armor +2 x1 Breaching Gauntlets (heroic tier) x1 Symbol of the Champion's Code +2 x1 Belt of Vim (heroic tier) x1 Boots of Eagerness x1 ====== End ======

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/23.jpg)