Free Creatures! Aggro Aether Vial Tribal

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I wanted to make some sort of tribal deck running Aether Vial for quick creatures. I looked through the archetypes thread and decided Slivers would be a nice fit. Btw, if you got an idea for a better creature type that could also work with Aether Vial, let me know! maybe knights would work… Idk.

Creatures: 23

Total Spells: 15
[deck]
4 Aether Vial
4 Voltaic Key
4 Path to Exile
4 Spell Pierce
[/deck]
Lands: 22
[deck]
4 Cavern of Souls
3 Adarkar Wastes
2 Yavimaya Coast
2 Battlefield Forge
2 Underground River
2 Plains
2 Island
2 Forest
2 Swamp
2 Mountain
[/deck]

Also, one quick question. If i want to be running aether vial, should all my creature have the same CMC or can I have a couple creatures with a bigger/smaller CMC splashed in? 

Comments and suggestions greatly appreciated.
Dude! Please Learn How to Autocard!
To Autocard individual cards type [c*]Into the Maw of Hell[/c*] and remove the asterisks to get Into the Maw of Hell or Stuffy Doll. Ta-Da! Autocarded! When Autocarding a deck type: Yay! Now people are actually look at your decklist properly and help you improve it! Excellent! You can tell that I love exclamation marks!
Basics to Building a Solid Deck
1. Try to run playsets of cards (meaning 4 of a card). This way your deck will win more consistently and you will draw your better cards more often. 2. Make sure to focus your deck on one single idea that can win you the game and make sure all the cards in your deck contribute to that idea. You have a limited number of cards so make sure all of them count. For example, your deck could be a Elf Tribal deck, an Aggro aggressive deck or maybe a Control deck. 3. Card advantage is very important. You need to understand that cards the draw you more cards are extremely helpful. The more cards you have in your hand the more options you have. With more options you have a greater chance at winning the game. 4. Removal is also quite important. Most decks more or less should run at least some removal. 5. Last but not least, make sure your deck is exactly 60 cards! Even 61 is not acceptable. Good luck in deck building!
aether vial can be good in a variety of decks. Sliver decks tend to work best when you curve out well so I would suggest having some options. I think most successful aether vial decks have multiple mana costs. aether vial is at it's best when you're dropping CMC 4 creatures IMO. Look at Yasooka's modern deck from the player championship last year. Normally he'd use aether vial to drop his main deck creatures of 2 and 3 mana cost but there were many games where he was dropping huntmaster of the fells and glen elandra archmange off of his aether vial.

www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

It's tough to go wrong with slivers but having played them quite a bit I have a pretty specific idea of how I like my sliver decks. I go for the fastest options availible. TBH I feel like even aether vial slows the deck down too much, however, there are other ways of playing slivers so I won't hold you to "my style".

Generally speaking however, goblins decks have had some success in the past with aether vial and merfolk have also used the artifact but I don't think you're wrong for putting it into a slivers decklist. I do kinda think that voltaic key is a bad fit for the decklist. You will frequently draw it without an aether vial in which case it will be a dead card and a tempo loss if you try to cast it.
Don't be too smart to have fun

Ooohhhh, I see. Dropping 3-4 drops for free makes sense and takes advantage of Aether Vials ability better. But I still want this deck to be tribal, so what do you suggest? Werewolfs? Knights? Merfolk? My internet is being an ass right now and won't load Gatherer so I can't really search for anything right now...

To Autocard individual cards type [c*]Into the Maw of Hell[/c*] and remove the asterisks to get Into the Maw of Hell or Stuffy Doll. Ta-Da! Autocarded! When Autocarding a deck type: Yay! Now people are actually look at your decklist properly and help you improve it! Excellent! You can tell that I love exclamation marks!
1. Try to run playsets of cards (meaning 4 of a card). This way your deck will win more consistently and you will draw your better cards more often. 2. Make sure to focus your deck on one single idea that can win you the game and make sure all the cards in your deck contribute to that idea. You have a limited number of cards so make sure all of them count. For example, your deck could be a Elf Tribal deck, an Aggro aggressive deck or maybe a Control deck. 3. Card advantage is very important. You need to understand that cards the draw you more cards are extremely helpful. The more cards you have in your hand the more options you have. With more options you have a greater chance at winning the game. 4. Removal is also quite important. Most decks more or less should run at least some removal. 5. Last but not least, make sure your deck is exactly 60 cards! Even 61 is not acceptable. Good luck in deck building!
Goblins work well becuase by dropping goblins for free allows you to save mana for the burn that comes along with goblin decks. Same for merfolk, save the mana for counters. Slivers, usually being multi colored, allows you to drop slivers that you might not have the proper color mana for in paly yet. Vial Slivers are good. I've been experimenting with the Vial in a vampire deck and it's not bad. Using Vial in black means you should have stuff to spend the mana on like removal, disruption, or lifedrain effects. Vial didn't help my elf deck much, nor the soldiers. The secret to making Vial work effeciently is making sure you have a good use for the mana saved by dropping creatures for free, whether that be burn, disruption, counters, more creatures, whatever. But if you regularly have mana sitting around useless after using the Vial, then the Vial is doing nothing for you.
@Sacrifice, That is what was thinking! Thats why I was thinking about adding more counterspells and what not. I probably keep it slivers, and i'll change the decklist around. So Aether Vial basically allows you to use lots of control spells while still letting you constantly be able to put creatures on the board. Cool. I'll post a decklist soon.

So I've actually decided to go with Faeries, since Black/Blue brings plently of removal and counter spells. This is just some cards that I think would work nicely. Really looking for some card suggestions. 

Creatures: 14

Total Spells: 25
[deck]
4 Aether Vial
4 Duress
4 Go for the Throat
4 Faerie Trickery 
4 Mana Leak
3 Phyrexian Arena
2 Bitterblossom
[/deck]
[deck]
4 Watery Grave
9 Island 
9 Swamp
[/deck]

I would preferably want to run more creatures, but I don't really know which ones. 

Here are some good faries:
cloud of faeries Payback creatures are a lot more helpfull then one would expect
spellstutter sprite You never know whne you might need a counterspell
sower of temptation a single one of these can help every now and then.

Well, theres much more to Vial than just that. You still have to have the creatures in hand to drop with the Vial. A deck with 14 creatures is going to be at a disadvantage. I'd run 20-22 creatures if you're gonn ago faeries. It's not a bad idea, cause one of them, Spellstutter Sprite IS a counterspell in and of itself, even if you drop it with the Vial. I'd definately give it a shot, but hook yourself up with some more creatures. The Cloud of Faeries isn't bad either, same CMC as Spellstutter, and can be mana acceleration. All 3 fae that Froo suggested would be awesome additions to your deck.

What to drop is an entirely different story...

I'd maybe drop Phyrexian Arena or Bitterblossom, cause they both cause you life loss. Get to many going at the same time and you can wipe yourself out pretty easy. I'd maybe drop Faerie Trickery cause of the 3 CMC cost. Remember that you effectively adding counterspells with Spellstutter Sprite.

I haven't heard of many Faerie Vial decks, it's be neat if you got this to work well.
Yeah, I was saying that barely was even a deck. Just some cards that seemed niceish. Here is the actual first draft. 

Creatures: 22

Total Spells: 19
[deck]
4 Aether Vial
4 Duress
4 Go for the Throat
4 Mana Leak
3 Phyrexian Arena
[/deck]
[deck]
4 Watery Grave
4 Secluded Glen
8 Island 
6 Swamp
[/deck]

I actually feel like I'm running too little spells. Idk. Comments and suggestions greatly appreciated. 

I see Allies being very good with Aether Vial actually.  Since all their abilities are EtB effects, which you can do at instant speed and for free with Aeither Vial, they could be insanely strong.

I can also see Clockspinning being pretty good with Vials 
vial is great wih any creature heavy deck with a low curve. I wouldnt run 4 though unless youre up against counterspell heavy deck (tbh beating control is vials main selling point), 2 or 3 is better as you just want 1 most games - if you get 2 you're likely to either have too few spells or not enough lands to cast you noncreature spells - alternatively run 4 vials, no spell/creature costing more than 3 (and most less) and run only 16-18 lands.
So I've decided to actually stick with slivers (sorry for constantly changing my mnd). Your suggestions have been great so far and this is what I've got.

Creatures: 24

Total Spells: 17
[deck]
4 Aether Vial
2 Oblivion Ring
3 Dreadbore
4 Spell Pierce
4 Mana Leak
[/deck]
Lands: 19
[deck]
4 Cavern of Souls
4 Hallowed Fountains
3 Breeding Pool
3 Sacred Foundry
3 Watery Grave
3 City of Brass
[/deck]

Questions: What do you think if Dark Confidant and Gaddock Teeg for this deck? Dark Confidant is for card draw and Gaddock Teeg is basically to stop warth of gods and further hinder control decks. Idk, I dont really want to run non-Slivers. 

Also, should I run more/less creautre or noncreature spells? Do the amounts I have right now seem okay?
the BR of dreadbore is a tall order for your manabase. Id go with lightning bolt instead, or swords if you can 

id prefer sidewinder sliver to plated - or maybe both

personally id prefer GWu - altho you are getting some for your splashes, and vial helps. teeg is great card and confidant also.
I think I might run Gemhide Sliver instead of Plated actually. Gemhide would help with your mana fixing, which looks scary. I say slivers are gonna explode fast enough that missing that 1-drop isn't so bad.

Also, I'm gonna go out on a linb and say this might be one of those times where a 62 card deck is acceptable with Dark Confidant drawing you an extra card every turn. Add 2 lands, put yourself at 21. That 19 lands scares me. In a mono or maybe 2 color deck, OK, but with 5 colors? You're gonna have mana issues.

Or, what else could be used for card draw? You could drop black completely. Go with the aforementioned Swords to Plowshares, and side a couple of Oblivion Rings if Planeswalkers are that much of an issue.

I do agree with Teeg. It's worth losing a sliver spot for. Good call.   
I agree with sacrifice on plated sliver, gemhide is a sliver that should be in every sliver deck.

Also Shadow Sliver over winged sliver.
I miss the old days.
Okay, so I dropped red. Made some slight edits. @Alias402, I'm not quite sure about Shadow Sliver, especiaslly since I dropped Heart Slive. If I run Shadow Sliver and Sidewinder Sliver is seems kind of pointless if they both hit the field. btw, Sidewinder Sliver is awesome now since I checked the ruling and it does stack! :D Love myself some stacking sliver abilities. 

Total Spells: 16
[deck]
4 Aether Vial
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Spell Pierce
4 Mana Leak
[/deck]
Lands: 20
[deck]
4 Cavern of Souls
4 Hallowed Fountains
4 Breeding Pool
3 Temple Garden
3 Watery Grave
3 City of Brass
[/deck]

I want to drop black to keep this Bant, but I don't know what else I use for card draw. The best colors for draw are either blue or black, but black is the only color that can provide good aggro card draw. idk
Updated the decklist above ^. Any ideas for an aggro card draw engine? Should I make room for Plated Sliver?
Plated is kinda weak if your already running muscle and sinew with sidewinder.

I would run remand or cryptic command over spell pierce any day, hell if your going with genhides why not just go with counterspell? I would still run heart sliver.

There is also the sliver cycling, ponder, preordain, brainstorm, take your pick of the 1cmc draw spells.

Me I'm in the camp of there should be at most 8 non sliver spells in a sliver deck. 
I miss the old days.
Did you just say Cryptic Command? I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think it would really work running Cryptic Commandhere. EDIT: Cryptic Command acutally seems okish here. I thought the CMC was     lol. 

I know about all of blue's one mana draw spells, but for those to be drawing me enough cards, which I will need since I want to be laying down as many creatures a I have with Aether Vial, I got to be running a ton of those cards and won't have room for much else.

Heart Sliver is nice, but Aether Vial decks want to be fast but I've realized that they are not that as fast as haste for everyone. Oh, and I dropped red since it was a hassle. 

I'm also not quite sure about 8 noncreature spells. Thats 4 Aether Vialss and only 4 of some other spell. I don't really see that working. 

So I'll cut Spell Pierce and replace them with 2 Cryptic Command and 2 Memory Lapse or 1 land and 1 more sliver. Would that work? I still sort of think Cryptic Command is sort of price even though it can set me up for the win. 

I just realized i can't cast Cryptic Command with Gaddock Teeg out. Herp Derp. So probably 4 Rune Snag or 4 Memory Lapse
Homing Sliver is one of my favorites.  I also love Virulent Sliver (which I believe also stacks). with Aether vial you could make a more awesome version of the old sliver poison deck from TS block.  Go Naya colors, run Virulent and Two-Headed Sliver and fill in with a bunch of cheap slivers like Sidewinder Sliver.  No one expects a fast sliver deck that wins with poison, especially not an Aether vial sliver poison deck.
Homing Sliver is nice, but i think the deck is a bit too slow for talking a turn to tutor a sliver into my hand. Oh, and Virulent Silver does stack and could really help quicken things up. Running Shadow Sliver and Heart Sliver could really pump up the tempo while I'm hitting for posion. However, if I do that I probably want to cut black and run only 4 colors. But cutting black means no more card draw for me and running a 5 mana land base is tough in an aggro deck. Idk, I don't really want this deck to be that fast. Any more suggestions? Do you agree with El_Pared?

Not many changes.

[deck]
4 Aether Vial
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Memory Lapse
4 Mana Leak
[/deck]
Lands: 20
[deck]
4 Cavern of Souls
4 Hallowed Fountains
4 Breeding Pool
3 Temple Garden
3 Watery Grave
3 City of Brass
[/deck]

Help anybody?
Slivers look good, but I think you got enough blue mana going on just to play good ole Counterspell instead of Memory Lapse.
okay.
More Suggestions?

Some slight edits after playtesting.

Creatures: 26

[deck]
4 Aether Vial
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Memory Lapse
3 Mana Leak
[/deck]
Lands: 19
[deck]
3 Cavern of Souls
4 City of Brass
4 Reflecting Pool
4 Ancient Ziggurat 
4 Hallowed Fountains
[/deck]

Hello?
Hello?

You can't really go wrong with slivers. You've got the main ones muscle sliver, sinew sliver, crystalline sliver, and gemhide sliver. After that it just comes down to personal preference and metagame choices. aether vial can help a sliver strategy but I mostly play slivers without aether vial (e.g. I play more of an all in slivers strategy). Any changes that people could suggest would be based on the decks they expect to face (metagame).

remand might fit the decklist better than memory lapse
Don't be too smart to have fun
I've playtested it a bit and it works quite well. Thanks for all the input! I guess I was just asking if there were any obvious problems left. 
Sign In to post comments