Prerequisite on same levels

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I did some google search on the question and i know it works for feats, but we had a question about it in the last session:

If you take a maneuver or a stance, for example a second level Swordsage wants to take Assasin stance, can you take the prerequisites you need on the same level. So if he took no Shadow Hand maneuver on first level, and one on the second level, could he learn Assasin stance on second level too?

Thanks in advance
Seeron
I recently asked the same. The answer is "yes".

Prerequisites

Some feats have prerequisites. Your character must have the indicated ability score, class feature, feat, skill, base attack bonus, or other quality designated in order to select or use that feat. A character can gain a feat at the same level at which he or she gains the prerequisite.

You need to have all the requirement for a PrC BEFORE you can take a level in that class but as far as how things are done after you have a level in a class you can mix and match as needed.

If you take a maneuver or a stance, for example a second level Swordsage wants to take Assasin stance, can you take the prerequisites you need on the same level.

Absolutely.
So if he took no Shadow Hand maneuver on first level, and one on the second level, could he learn Assasin stance on second level too?

Provided he meets the requirement of "Swordsage Initiator level 5", yes.
"Today's headlines and history's judgment are rarely the same. If you are too attentive to the former, you will most certainly not do the hard work of securing the latter." -Condoleezza Rice "My fellow Americans... I've just signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. Bombing begins in five minutes." - Ronald Reagan This user has been banned from you by the letters "O-R-C" and the numbers "2, 3, 4, and 6"
User Quotes
56788208 wrote:
I do, however, have one last lesson on this subject. That last one? The only build in this post that can one-shot average opponents[by dealing twice as much damage as they have HP? I would argue that it is not optimized. Why isn't it optimized? Because it's overkill. Overkill is NOT optimizing. This means that there are portions of this build dedicated to damage which can safely be removed and thrown elsewhere. For example, you probably don't need both Leap Attack AND Headlong Rush at the same time. You could pick up Extra Rage feats for stamina, feats to support AoO effects, feats that work towards potential prestige classes, and so on. However, you could also shift our ability scores around somewhat. I mean, if you're getting results like that with 16 starting Strength, maybe you can lower it to 14, and free up four points to spend somewhere else - perhaps back into Charisma, giving you some oomph for Intimidating Rage or Imperious Command if you want. You can continue to tune this until it deals "enough" damage - and that "enough" does not need to be "100%". It could easily be, say, 80% (leaving the rest to the team), if your DM is the sort who would ban one-hit killers.
Tempest_Stormwind on Character Optimization
So when do you think Bachmann will be saying she met a mother the previous night that had a son who got a blood transfusion using a gay guy's blood, and now the son is retardedly gay?
When she meets CJ's mom?
Resident Pithed-Off Dragon Poon Slayer of the House of Trolls
thx, i knew there was an exception but didnt know anymore that it were prcs. thanks fo the clarification
It may be a bit confusing but you can take something at the same time you meet the prereqs.  The catch is that you need to actually "level" by taking a class before you can do ANYTHING else but if you don't already meet a PrC's requirements you can't take it as the level.  A simple example of this would be any class that requires basic spellcasting but grants spellcasting; why would you need to know spells to take the class if you could just count the spells that the class would give on its first level?

As StevenO said. Here's another way to look at it:

You don't gain anything (HD, BAB, Saves, class abilities, skills, or feats) until you level up.
Therefore, if the prerequisite must be in place before the level itself is gained (like needing a feat or a skill, etc, to take the first level in a prestige class) then you are out of luck. You cannot apply things gained by a level up to allowing that level up to happen in the first place.

If the prerequisite is something you gain at level up, and the thing that needs that prerequisite could, by the numbers, be taken at the same level up, then you are fine. For instance, you can take two feats where one requires the first as a prerequisite, providing you were at a level situation that allowed you two feats (like human 1st or some fighter levels, etc.)
Other examples would be Mounted Combat: as long as you have a feat available, you can take it on the same round as you put that 1 point into Ride; or Two-Weapon Fighting, if you're at DEX 14 at say level 12, you can put your ability point increase into DEX, making it 15, and take the feat at the same level.
Sign In to post comments