Pixie Party

17 posts / 0 new
Last post

So I was glancing over the cover for the newest issue of Dungeon and I saw thsi adventure:

Glitterdust
By Will Doyle
King Sunfire, the lord of the pixies, has a most important quest for you. Watch out for giant snails, hungry bats, and screaming scarecrows! A D&D adventure for 1st-level pixie characters.

I've got a group of friends who would love to give this a spin once we have access to it, but we're looking for suggestions on what to comprise the party of.  Right now, out only ideas are as follows:

-No Divine Characters.  (We feel Pixies lend themselves more to Primal, Arcane, and Marshal power sources flavorfully.)
-We already have one Pixie Barbarian as our Striker. (The girl playing it has a real thing for Barbarians and so we just went with it.)

Anyway, these don't have to be optimized out the wazu or anything since they are mostly just going to be used in a one-shot adventure.  Just, if you could have a group of four or five Pixies run through this, what classes do you think would work out well?

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Bard is a token leader that the Pixie would really adapt well to. Pixie Swordmage is a great defender (we've got one of those in our current adventurer in fact). Wizard or Hunter could do well for a controller. As for a fifth class, Anything that uses Dex or Charisma is a good idea to try and fill out skill usage. Rogue as a secondary striker is often good for this.

Happy Gaming
What about Pixie Shaman?  Being a Pixie that can summon and ride around on a spirit cat or other beast sounds neat, and they make decent Leaders too.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Shaman spirit is a conjuration, you can't ride it.

Pixie LazyLords are surprisingly good though.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Pixie Monk - about the most mobile character in the game.

Pixie preda-charger Druid - The stats aren't quite a perfect match, but it's a solid striker. with a bit of control as well.
 Wanna play a druid who can turn into a flying bird without using up a utility power? I think(?) I might have the one that first mentioned back when the pixie was released that pixies can wildshape into birds that can naturally fly. Playing a talking crow is awesome. Charging in three dimensions is fun and avoids lots of OAs from people between you and the target. Seriously, vertical charge, how fun is it to repeatedly have your little guy jumping up and down on the opponent's head for major damage?
Hell, charging pixie anything is effective, since they can charge twice in a round with an action point with the right equipment and can charge through or even just into another creature's space...

Pixie Grappler Fighter - Any pixie fighter is nasty because you can just stay in the space above your target's head and it eats your punishment no matter where it moves to. Add insult to injury by being a foot-tall fairy tossing ogres and dragons around like cupcakes...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Pixie Monk - about the most mobile character in the game.

Pixie preda-charger Druid - The stats aren't quite a perfect match, but it's a solid striker. with a bit of control as well.
 Wanna play a druid who can turn into a flying bird without using up a utility power? I think(?) I might have the one that first mentioned back when the pixie was released that pixies can wildshape into birds that can naturally fly. Playing a talking crow is awesome. Charging in three dimensions is fun and avoids lots of OAs from people between you and the target. Seriously, vertical charge, how fun is it to repeatedly have your little guy jumping up and down on the opponent's head for major damage?
Hell, charging pixie anything is effective, since they can charge twice in a round with an action point with the right equipment and can charge through or even just into another creature's space...

Pixie Grappler Fighter - Any pixie fighter is nasty because you can just stay in the space above your target's head and it eats your punishment no matter where it moves to. Add insult to injury by being a foot-tall fairy tossing ogres and dragons around like cupcakes...

Any type of charging pixie is great.  Although the main reason is that Streak of Light is pretty damned excellent.  And you can mount a Feybeast and go to town.

Also I second the idea of a Pixie Lazylord.

Here is my list of possibles, in no particular order:
Barb
Slayer with Babau Gauntlets
Thief
Artful Dodger Rogue
Lazylord
Bard (I like the lazylord better)
Storm Sorc
Warlock|Executioner
Artificer|Bard - No good secondary stat bump, but you'll survive.
Psion
Wizard

Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
Personally, I would want to play a minotaur that thinks he is a pixie in this party.
LOLing out loud at Aranador!!!!!

That concept would be hilarious!  The other pixies keep telling him he's a minotaur, but he just laughs at them and keeps thinking he's floating on air.....

Personally, I would want to play a minotaur that thinks he is a pixie in this party.

Give him an encounter power called "Not-Quite-Flight." PC shifts three squares into the square of an enemy, pushes target 1 square, 2d8 dmg, both fall prone. The color description could be something like "So this big brute comes at me flappin' his arms like a bird, falls on me and then gets angry. Says I ruined his takeoff!"

Have the minotaur max out his jumping ability and yell out cheesy flying cliches while jumping...

(Technically, at Epic level with revenant shenanigans you could be a minotaur that's also a pixie...)

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

It looks like my party has solidified around this:

Pixie Barbarian (Striker)
Pixie Swordmage (Defender)
Pixie Warlord (Leader)
Pixie Wizard/Witch (Controler)

I may have a fifth member joining up, but these are my core four. 

It looks like my party has solidified around this:

Pixie Barbarian (Striker)
Pixie Swordmage (Defender)
Pixie Warlord (Leader)
Pixie Wizard/Witch (Controler)

I may have a fifth member joining up, but these are my core four. 

Please do some sort of session report. I'd love to hear how it went.
I want to say it'll be about a week or two before we actually run the game since we're doing it on a night that we normally have another game going.  But, sure, if it is something you'd be interested in hearing about, I'll post up a session report when we're done.

Rogue with weapon finesse rapier - like Peter Pan

Wingless Rogue Pixies - like the brownies in the movie Willow

Sorcerer with lots of enchantments - like Tinkerbell

I could see a druidic pixie, perhaps, shaman-like or go against type and have a Pixie Paladin (ignoring the human requirement of older editions, obviously, but retaining the traditional Lawful Goodness or Monk... either one comically out of touch or looked at with great esteem and wonder (or both). Or if you want something more dark... maybe a necromancer or a conjurer... something out of a Grimm's fairy tale... a rumplestiltskin-type bard or some malicious throwback from the darkest memory of medieval german forests, an evil ranger or druid fairy accompanying a wolf or riding an owl, the traditional signifier of ill omens, or perhaps a dionysian hedonistic bard fairy could be a two-edged sword, urging you to join in bacchanalean revelry, if only for your own good.... that's what I'd play, I think...

Although a certain level of divine magic DOES detract from the flavor you're creating, some things might actually be additive, most likely the lower level versions. What about getting their 'divine' power from an Oberon-like being? Being chaotic, ritual and dogma would take a back seat to a general idea of freedom and goodness, but they could still be interesting within the milieu. Being a one-shot deal, I wouldn't worry too much about the milieu being broken by a divine caster being out of sync. If the characters are low-level they're not going to have a whole lot of 'that didn't fit the scenario at all' stuff they can do, anyway.
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.

For those that care, I'll be running this for my group next Thursday and will have a write-up of our shenanigans shortly after that.  Also, we've picked up a fifth member to the party; a Pixie Fighter (Slayer).

Very cool. I am looking at running the Pathfinder module We Be Goblins using 4E, so I am eager to see how your all-pixie game works out ;)
Glitterdust Session Report: (Part 1)

The Heroes
Sparrowhawk – Male Pixie Wizard (Witch)
Nettle – Male Pixie Warlord
Ivy – Female Pixie Swordmage
Brenna – Female Pixie Barbarian
Staabs – Female Pixie Fighter (Slayer)

The Quest
Rescue one Glitterdust, fairest of Fairy King Sunfire’s court, who was recently captured by the meanest of bog hags, Rotten Ethel and end the evil swamp witch’s encroachment on King Sunfire’s lands.

The Synopsis

Opening Act: Choose your weapon.
-Having been summoned with all the other pixies to King Sunfire’s courtly pixie hollow, the party quickly leaps at the chance to do a favor for the king and rescue Glitterdust from the clutched of Rotten Ethel.  Well, most of the party.  Brenna decides that she's actually jealous of Glitterdust and how much everyone fawns over her all the time and so she’s glad that glittery trollop got kidnapped.  She comes around though when she hears rumor that Rotten Ethel turns princes into frogs and keeps them as her lovers.  Brenna always wanted a frog prince to order around and killing off a bog hag seems a fair price to pay for getting her own stable of frog-men. 

-The party is rewarded for their brave volunteering for this fool’s errand by getting to pick one item from the king’s personal stash to use during the adventure.  After ogling the overflowing treasure chest for a few minutes, the party narrows down their selections to five items:  Nightspider Silk, Owlbear Musk, a Pixie Music Box, a Senaliesse Chrysanthemum, and a pair of Tattlebugs.  Having been granted their boons, the party hits up the local pixie rumor mill for some juicy gossip and then heads out to save Glitterdust.

Act One:  Court of the Bullywugs
-As the pixie party leaves the enchanted forest and enters the swampy domain of Rotten Ethel, they hear cries for help coming from a copse of trees nearby.  Fluttering over to investigate, more out of curiosity than concern, our heroes spy a perplexing sight.  Two oafish frog-men are twisting and swinging a crude net containing a captured human above a pool of bubbling green muck.  Nearby, another frogman with a leashed giant frog monster in one hand and a carved staff in the other belts out charges of “unconscionable cleanliness” and “gross trespass” as if he were some stern judge admonishing the captive. 

-Ivy and Staabs notice petrified statues of small woodland creatures sticking out of the churning mud and Sparrowhawk quickly identifies the substance and deadly Gorgon Mud!  Prolonged exposure to the mud is dangerous, and the party decides that saving this poor human before he is forced to take the plunge is the thing to do. 

-Quickly, they spread out and hide amongst the tall grasses and tree branches while the Bullywugs are distracted with their prey.  Unfortunately, however, Sparrowhawk is not sneaky enough and the frog-men’s leader spies the errant pixie.  Releasing his toad-beast, he command it to gobble up the interloper and it pounce-hops into action, just narrowly missing Sparrowhawk and signaling the start of combat.  Brenna is the MVP of this fight, criticaling first all over the face of one of the Bullywug guards and then again through the giant frog beat’s soft squishy parts.  Sparrowhawk and the Bullywug’s leader magic duel’d mostly to a standstill until Ivy brought the Muck Lord crashing down from his toadstool perch with a crash of her spelled blade while Nettle and Staabs made short work of the final Bullywug mook.

-They cut down the human, saving him from his eventual fate as a muddy lawn ornament and tried to have a conversation with him, much to his superstitious dismay.  They learned his name was Brendle, and that he had come to the swamp to rescue the love of his life, Luella, who had been captured by the bog hag just the night before.  He had proposed marriage to Luella and she had turned him down.  In his rage he bent the wedding ring at cast it into the river.  In the morning he found it mended and lying upon his pillow, so he grabbed it and rushed to Luella’s cottage in hopes that it was a sign.  When he got there, he found evidence that the witch had captured his love as recompense for fixing the ring and returning it to him.  Heartbroken, he ran home to dust off his grandfather’s old sword and armor from the war, and come to Ethel’s to win back Luella.  The pixies were somewhat impressed with this tale, and offered to help Brendle rescue his love, because, honestly, why would you turn down another 29 hp meat shield?  It took some convincing from Sparrowhawk, showing Brandle his poor fate should he try to fight the hag alone, but eventually, the wayward hero came around and joined the party; mentioning that there was a pier nearby  and that the locals used an enchanted boat there to visit Ethel’s home. 

Act Two:  Crazy ****-a-doodle
-Making their way to the pier, the party finds a mentally unhinged chicken locked in a cage dangling on a post by the farthest plank.  Trailing from one of its legs is a length of twine tied to a severed human hand.  Dismayed by the deplorable conditions of the poor bird, Ivy and Brenna get to chopping away at the twine while Sparrowhawk and Staabs try to comfort the chicken.  They are rewarded for their efforts when, in a brief moment of lucidity, the cockerel squawks “She needs her cane to see, don’t you see?” before descending back into madness once more.  They get the chicken to crow a bit, calling forth the magical boat lit by jack-o-lanterns, and after some discussion, the group boards the rickety rowboat and glides off into the mists.  They have Brendle move along the coastline to as not to be seen.

Act Three:  Otters in a Net!
-As the boat drifts along, Ivy and Nettle notice a trail of otters moving back and forth from the mists of the lake to the shoreline with random junk that they seem to be sorting into piles.  The otters are silent and seem to ignore the pixies’ calls.

-Up ahead there seems to be a bit of commotion.  A poor otter is trapped in a great dragnet that spans the lake!  The pixies rush to its aid, assessing the situation and doing their best to free the caught cuddly critter before it is crushed between the cords and cable and drowns.  Sparrowhawk finds the net anchored along the shore to the back of a gigantic Snail.  Using his vast knowledge of natural things, he shows Brendle that stroking the horn-tusks of the creature will slow it down, easing the stretched line and buying the rest of the party more time.  Brenna, Ivy, and Staabs strain to loosen the tangled netting and free the poor otter while Nettle tends to the creature’s wounds as best he can under all the struggling and water.  After some seriously close calls, the pixies free the injured otter and help the other otter’s carry it back to the shore.

-While tending to the otter’s wounds, the pixies are rewarded by a visit from Goodberry, a magical grasshopper spirit wreathed in emerald mail, who benevolently looks after all of the creatures enslaved in Rotten Ethel’s domain.  Goodberry is happy that the pixies saved the poor otter and offers them a bit of information and a boon.  He will magically cloak their presence from the eyes of Rotten Ethel’s spies and give them bonuses to Stealth checks as long as they are in the fetid swamp.  He tells them of how Ethel stole the voices of the otters and locked them away in a magical music box.  As long as she has their voices, the otters must serve the wicked witch and spend their days gathering up junk form the river that empties into the lake for the hag to then fix up and claim her prices from those who foolishly threw away things that were still mostly good.  If the party could steal the music box and return the voices to the otters, they would be free of Ethel’s control!  The pixies jump on this side-quest, because otters are adorable and enslaving them is mean.

*Intermission*
-I’ll post the rest of the adventure later when I have more time.

Sign In to post comments