Thunder Storm

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
edit: updated

Thunder Storm
Sorcery
~ deals 1 damage to each player for each card named ~ in your graveyard.
If you would deal more than 5 damage you must pay or you deal no damage.
A deck can have any number of cards named ~.
Wrong color for flavor.  The hybrid cost needs to be instead of .  Also I almost feel thqat Multikicker would work better for you.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

This is a cool concept. I do have a question about the hybrid cost. Can you pay it more than once, because the way its currently worded its only once.

Edit: Fires of Undeath and Bump in the Night seem to show that black can multi with red for damage. Though I do agree that the "storm" flavour does imply blue. 
TY and fixed with blue.

I do intend it to be able to occur at most once.
Maybe Kicker could be used.
I'm wondering if and how it would be used in sets of more than 4.
wait why the hell would you make this blue?

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Also... Pyromatics, but only targeting players and no limit per deck.
Show
144902215 wrote:
Sometimes I imagine what Cisnero's life must be like. I imagine cargo pants - every pocket stuffed with coins. I imagine him (I almost said "him or her" but then I decided his gender with through the randomization of a small metal disk) - I imagine him, shopping, purchasing food, choosing which spot to park in, all through this meticulous flipping process. I imagine him asking a girl out, taking her to have a drink or whatever and then asking if she wants to play this fun game. When she responds "Sure." he removes a single quarter from one of his jingling pockets. Then proceeds to flip it repeatedly while she calls it - until she is able to make up an excuse to leave. Will he respond to this post? Only if the Chaotic Gods of Copper and Nickel deem it so. Someday many years from now, in the Dystopian future world, I'll ride my Billy Idol Unicycle past a bedraggled slumbub - He'll be clad in armor made all of the (now worthless) coins of yesterdecade. He'll grin a shiny grin at me as he flips another coin - and I'll know who it was. How could I not?
also, blaze.

but why is this blue.

Blue's his favorite color?
Show
144902215 wrote:
Sometimes I imagine what Cisnero's life must be like. I imagine cargo pants - every pocket stuffed with coins. I imagine him (I almost said "him or her" but then I decided his gender with through the randomization of a small metal disk) - I imagine him, shopping, purchasing food, choosing which spot to park in, all through this meticulous flipping process. I imagine him asking a girl out, taking her to have a drink or whatever and then asking if she wants to play this fun game. When she responds "Sure." he removes a single quarter from one of his jingling pockets. Then proceeds to flip it repeatedly while she calls it - until she is able to make up an excuse to leave. Will he respond to this post? Only if the Chaotic Gods of Copper and Nickel deem it so. Someday many years from now, in the Dystopian future world, I'll ride my Billy Idol Unicycle past a bedraggled slumbub - He'll be clad in armor made all of the (now worthless) coins of yesterdecade. He'll grin a shiny grin at me as he flips another coin - and I'll know who it was. How could I not?
Blue gets everything.
I do intend it to be able to occur at most once.

so it's a shock that costs 2 and only hits players?

Two posts sugested that I change from and to and so I did!

Yes, it's slightly weaker than Shock but can be used in any number in a deck, like Relentless Rats.
Two posts sugested that I change from and to and so I did!

if someone suggested you make naturalize blue would you do it?

Yes, it's slightly weaker than Shock but can be used in any number in a deck, like Relentless Rats.

but why would I use any? there's so many options for 1- and 2-mana burn that are better than this that there's no reason to use this. it's only useful to be able to run a 5th copy if I have a desire to run the first 4.

Dunno when I'd use this over Lightning BoltPillar of FlameShockBurst LightningFireboltGalvanic BlastAssault // BatteryFlame SlashMagma SprayForked BoltLava SpikeStrafe, or Tarfire.

Also, I couldn't care less what the hybrid mana cost of the ability is since you've already paid the to cast it, it basically is a Fireball after that, and no one cares what color of mana is spent on the X.

~SE++

http://forum.nogoblinsallowed.com/index.php

Also, I couldn't care less what the hybrid mana cost of the ability is since you've already paid the to cast it, it basically is a Fireball after that, and no one cares what color of mana is spent on the X.

still matters. would doom blade make sense if it cost ?

I only said that the flavour of a storm was somewhat blue. Honestly I would be fine with the additional cost being or for craziness. Also I would run this with Pyromancer's Ascension and burn the world.
It was AzureShade and dtolle reasoning about changing the secondary color, then razorborne and Cisnero reply as if they have not read the rest of the thread.

I can see how both seem reasonable flavor wise, I'm more in the direction of black mechanically, although if I changed it back maybe I would get "Why the hell is a storm black." and "Black is his favorite color?" posts.

Grats dtolle, good find. Along similar lines Search the City could be good as well.

It may be better in Standard, where far fewer of those burn spells are avaliable. I meant to make it slightly weeker than others, I may have misjudged by how much.

It could probbably benifit from a cumulative increase in power, as Relentless Rats does the more that are in play.
I meant to make it slightly weeker than others, I may have misjudged by how much. It could probbably benifit from a cumulative increase in power, as Relentless Rats does the more that are in play.

Maybe a jab at "storm" in the title? There are a number of cool ways you could do this:

As an additional cost to cast ~, you may pay (maybe just ) up to X times, where X is the number of cards named ~ in your graveyard. Copy ~ for each time this additional cost was payed. You may choose new targets for the copies.
~ deals 1 damage to target player.

Wording is a little off, and the ability is marginally anti-synergistic with the 'any # in deck' clause (because you are basically just casting another copy of the card, paying same costs).

Maybe this:

~ deals 1 damage to target player. Then you may exile any number of cards named ~ from your graveyard. ~ deals that much damage divided among any number of target players.

Certainly breakable, but also checked.
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
How about:

Thunder Storm
Sorcery
~ deals 1 damage to each player for each card named ~ in your graveyard.
If you would deal more than 5 damage you must pay or you deal no damage.
A deck can have any number of cards named ~.
Flame Burst was very much the same idea.  With Pardic Firecat, this card had the potential to do 9 damage for at instant speed.  With yours, you're dropping the bonus 2 damage but opening up the gates to having more copies, I think you could drop the funky excess color cost int he ability and just rebalance the mana cost.  I dunno.

~SE++ 

http://forum.nogoblinsallowed.com/index.php

Thanks I've updated the card to be this new design. I kinda like how the mana increases in two stages like that.
Thats interesting, so they were going for somthing like this with that combo.
again, though. why is it blue?

Sign In to post comments