Optimizing skills for Mid combat skill challenges.

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
In my campaign it is very common for a fight to require some type of ritual or skill challenge to complete. Common Skills required are Nature, Religeon, Arcana, Theivery. My character is a striker so often I am out killing but now and then I am needed to help but as a Thaneborn barbarian I have an int of 10 and a wis of 12 at level 21. My dex is 17 for Mastery but is un likely to increase as my charisma is my secondary. 

Is there a way that I could with some minor investment hit a hard DC Religion or Nature roughly half the time? I have the skills to train either one.
Failing that is there a way to hit hard DC Thievery at least half the time? 
Last resort. Is there a way to hit hard DC arcanas about half the time?

Thievery is marginally appropriate to the character but Arcana is right out as I am suspicious of magic.
What are your trained skills?
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
I am currently trained in Athletics, Acrobatics, Endurance, Intimidate and I have 2 trainings that I can move around to pretty much wherever so I could be trained in virtually any skill if needed.

I had considered taking Streetwise and Secrets of the city but there is rarely an opportunity to Streetwise to trigger it when fighting in the planes during epic games. 
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
I would talk to your DM about mixing up the skill requirements a little bit. I keep track of what skills my players have and try to pose challenges that give everyone something to do - pretty much to avoid situations like this where the barbarian feels like he needs to be good at religion. There's no reason a couple Athletics or Intimidate checks can't be fit in somewhere.
We play LFR so the skills are often not up to the DM to a point. For more detail I am a Barb/ranger mc Warlord so many of those skills could fit just fine they just did not fit my build as is. Since many LFR authors have been afraid of alpha striking they are constantly putting in skills that must be completed before the fight can be completed ensuring the enemyu gets a round of combat in. I don't mind an ablaitive approach to encounter building but it has gotten a bit heavy handed and I would like to help the rest of my party get through it since I have 6 trained skill slots I thought I could loose one to a group friendly skill. Religion would be my preferred skill but sadly as we know in 4e clerics cannot do religion as well as an untrained wizard after heroic. anyhow it's not a deal breaker but if there is a way to be good at one of these skills I would at least make the effort to do so. I guess I'll just have to yell at the portal till it closes.
Yup, Intimidate portals until they close. LFR DM's can take liberties to make unlisted skills work. There are often notes to that effect but even when there aren't, if the Barbarian wants to yell at the ritualists to hurry up and finish already "or else", it just might count as a success.

Nature may be easiest, go Iron Wolf Warrior, pick Dalelands background. If you have Student of the Sphinx from CALI4-2, you're in decent shape. If not, slap forehead, go back to paragon, play that mod, and come back to epic. 
hmm ... this is weird.

Trying to do a Ritual in the middle of combat
causes a yes/no result.  Is the ritual interrupted?
Yes = large amount of lost actions.
No = near dm fiat happens anyway.

Trying to do Skill Challenge(s) in the middle
of combat, seems to me to be an interesting
way to lower the number of actions avaiable
to the PCs.  But I wonder how you or they
would regularize this?  I think the DM is just
gonna wing it, until the general results work.

??

Here comes your 19th forums breakdown ... ohh who's to blame, it ain't 5E driving you insane.

Sign In to post comments