CKY's Fool's Gold: Meager Pickings

9 posts / 0 new
Last post

A small set based on destruction, sacrifice, and Victorian science gone wrong.

Day 4, early dawn
The earth here is rough and pockmarked. I doubt I will be able to sleep for a while, not as long as I am this unused to the wild.

Everything is so much more difficult without my formula tome to memorize glyphs from each day, without the Judgment Staff to focus the mana in the air. I have had to relearn everything – how to strike a fire without a pinch of caloric on hand, how to fend off roving beasts without so much as a spell of warding. How to write my journal by inkpen and hand, and have my longhand be comprehensible even after years of disuse.

I threw away my heels after the first mile or so south of the city walls; there uneven rocks and dead roots supplanted the level, cracked ground, and I would have slipped and broken my leg then and there if not for a lucky handhold. I sipped from still pools of water that reeked of muriaticum, and supped miserably at the corpse of some fallen creature that miraculously had not been picked clean. At the mouth of a cave, I saw the remains of a Kardiapolis battlement sniper, and unceremoniously looted his bow and off-weapon. Sooner or later I will have to learn to shoot straight.

I wonder if Philosopher Haereticus – no, Philosopher Lacertus – could have survived the magical fallout that lingers here in clumps and stains, or evaded the horrific affronts to physics that emerge from tears in the plane, or stood his ground against the weird shapes that seem to stalk around the periphery of my vision in the fog. I can already feel the horrible itching, burning sensation of the aberrating field eating at my skin. I plan to kill myself before I mutate; it will be with a shard of hematite at the base of the animic cord. Quick and painless.

At the top of a mound that burst pustule-like out of the rock, I spied the northern gold front glittering in the dead air, inching its way slowly towards the city I once called home. Kardiapolis is doomed, I expect. There will be no way to go but south.

Magnus Preceptor
Magnus Preceptor

Creature – Human Wizard (U)
2/2

: You may tap or untap target permanent.

"If you recited the formula without error, you should now feel a tingling sensation in the cores of your palms. This betrays the existence of the positive and negative galvanomotive matrices, as detailed on page 166 of Introductory Galvanic Manipulation..."

Wailing Wavefront
Wailing Wavefront

Creature – Weird Horror (U)
5/4

Haste
Catalyze – At the beginning of the first end step after Wailing Wavefront enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you reveal three cards that share a card type from your hand.

Where it passes, air melts and earth boils.

Colony Tumor
Colony Tumor

Enchantment – Aura (U)

Enchant permanent
Enchanted permanent has ": Put a 1/1 green Mutant Worm creature token onto the battlefield."

"Kill... me... now. Before... the larvae... mature..."
–Pudicius, final-stage parasitic host

And a rare:

Saturation Point
Saturation Point

Enchantment (R)

Exile an instant or sorcery card from your graveyard: Until end of turn, you may cast any card from your hand as a copy of the exiled card. If a spell you cast this way would leave the stack, exile it instead of putting it anywhere else. (You still pay all costs to cast such spells.)

"Too much firepower? Kid – when you see the first wave of muties, you'll understand there's no such thing as too much firepower."
–Manus, railcannon operator

Comments and criticism appreciated.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

I think people will be confused at the fact you have to pay the mana cost of the exiled spell for your copies.
Saturation Point + Manamorphose = lol

I really like Catalyze.

http://nogoblinsallowed.com/

I think people will be confused at the fact you have to pay the mana cost of the exiled spell for your copies.

Reminder text added.
Saturation Point + Manamorphose = lol

I hate Manamorphose so much. Solphos block does contain a lot of anti-combo tech, and eternal formats tend to be naturally self-regulating, so I'd cross my fingers and hope it worked out. If it hypothetically did cause problems in Modern or Legacy, there's always the banhammer.

Embrace imagination.

Manamorphose replaces itself at no cost + benifits

a card strictly better than itsself

"some stones should be left unturned" ~Urlock
a card strictly better than itsself

Embrace imagination.

Lol
I'm loving your story, and the way your cards show off your world. Really nice work, CKY.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
I'm loving your story, and the way your cards show off your world. Really nice work, CKY.

Thanks!

Embrace imagination.