Which Warlock build for this party?

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I am looking for build advise for a friend who wants to play an arcane striker with some control.
He is looking into Warlock (any kind O or E class) and I wanted to help him optimize his PC and our team.

We will be 3 (with a possible 4th), already decided on the 2:

STR/DEX Half Orc Ranger
STR/INT or STR/CHA Warlord

So, I have never built a Warlock and would appreciate some basic info about which builds would best fit in this party.
If the info I provide is not enough to suggest one build over another please tell.
I am not asking for a complete build but rather the expert's advice on which 2-3 build choices we should consider so that we can then go do our homework.
Warlord build will be finalized depending on Warlock.

Would he consider playing a sorcerer instead?

A warlock is in no way a striker, it's an arcane controller with a few self-damage buffs. 
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Would he consider playing a sorcerer instead?

A warlock is in no way a striker, it's an arcane controller with a few self-damage buffs. 

That's not true. Warlocks won't reach the obscene amounts of damage Sorcerers deal, but basic curse optimization (Sorcerer-King pact, Mindbite Scorn, and Killing Curse or Vicious Rod) gets their damage up to benchmark. Or just Hellish Rebuke optimization, that works too. 

OP, if you guys never played a Warlock before, those two are the easiest O-Locks to optimize for damage.

Regarding whether the builds are suitable for the party, basically any Warlock works well with a Warlord since they all have good basic attacks. Keep in mind though that Warlords grant more MBA's than RBA's, so an Eldritch Strike build or a Hexblade might be preferable to a pure ranged Warlock. Added bonus is that the Warlock can then flank with the Ranger.
The clarification on hellish rebuke closed the door on hellish rebuke spam optimisation. The real issue that warlocks have no way of realiably inflicting multiple damage instance with their standard actions and they have few (or no, I haven't checked) minor action attacks. So, no, I doubt they can get to charOP striker benchmarks (30/60/90), unless you count the classless charge suit, but there are other classes that do that significantly better.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
they have few (or no, I haven't checked) minor action attacks.

Crown of Stars, Hunger of Hadar and Tendrils of Thuban would like a word with you.

Crown of Stars, Hunger of Hadar and Tendrils of Thuban would like a word with you.

Are we opping around dailies now?  Hybrid warlock, pimp your ES out or try this.
Eld Avenger
The clarification on hellish rebuke closed the door on hellish rebuke spam optimisation. The real issue that warlocks have no way of realiably inflicting multiple damage instance with their standard actions

That seems conflicting. Hitting with HR and then taking damage seems like a good way to inflict two damage instances for one standard action, so I'm not sure what you mean.
It used to be (mis)read as allowing to inflict damage each time you took damage.
I'd go with a Cha/Int build Warlock of some sort, probably Sorcerer King. Maybe go Human for a Binder at-will early on, and switch to either Eldritch Blast or Heroic Effort later once you've picked up some tools to deal with minions. Pick Delban's Deadly Attention, and pick other encounter powers that have good control and/or some multi-targeting. I'd MC Bard for a backup heal and power swap for Blunder if I felt I needed more "damage now". Maybe go Elemental Initiate theme for another immediate attack, and solid skill to boost the small party's skill repertoire, and I'm sure you can do something fun with the Ki Focus like Rain of Hammers for a daily minor action attack.
If you really want to pimp out your RBA, play a Eladrin Sorc'Lock with the Gifted Death Dealer feat. But if you're into that, it's easier to just play an Elementalist. 

Crown of stars: It isn't worth your minor action to have a non-100% chance of doing stat-damage, even if it is radiant damage.
Hunger of Hadar: Nice if you have a party member with good forced movement, otherwise useless. The minor action attack doesn't happen on the first round so you need someway to get them back into the zone.
Tendrils of Thuban: Same issue as Hunger of Hadar.

LuciousLeet: Warlocks are controllers that deal some minor damage. Particularly if you start at a low level, optimisng the curse damage is a non-starter from optimisation POV.

Arcane strikers are sorcerer, (dragonborn race, dragon soul style, or any dex/cha race, storm soul style). If you really want to crank the damage, go revenant genasi for doubling on the storm damage.
Alternatively, go mage (wizard) and pyromancer (genasic or tiefling race)

There are other, more complex versions, but for a first time player, let's not go there.       
If he wants a Warlock, then by all means let him play a Warlock. That said, he could probably get the most out of hybrids.

Option 1: Melee Warlock|Executioner charger.
Option 2: Chat/Int Warlock|Swordmage (Assault), there you have damage, off turn attacks and control form your Defender side. Also, your group lacks a Defender, so it may be useful to have a hybrid one.
Option 3: Warlock|Paladin. There are some hilarious combos out there for the two classes together. See previous point for having a Defender.
Arel: all three of those are weapon wielders. I only suggested implement users on purpose. Though perhaps the OP can give us a better idea of what it is his friend is looking for.
Tbh, if your campaign won't go beyond mid-paragon, then a charging hexblade could be a viable option. It would certainly be a killer MBA for your warlord to exploit.
Arel: all three of those are weapon wielders. I only suggested implement users on purpose. Though perhaps the OP can give us a better idea of what it is his friend is looking for.

The campaign will start in paragon, aroud 12 to 14.
My friend initially wanted to play a wizard that does damage.
I suggested not to for several reasons:

small party => small number of monsters so value of AoE striker decreases
wizard options are enormous, I am worried he will quickly lose focus and be all over the place trying to do everything :p

I proposed Sorceror but was not really insisting because I was not sure if they have good single target damage options.
If yes, would there be enough control for him to consider and which build?

Regarding Warlock, he was looking at Hexblade, from what I gather that is not a terrible option and another option is Sorceror King Pact build or did I miss anything else?

P.S. ArelOfAikala I like your suggestions but I am not sure he will be interested in defender

Either a rebreather or a demonsoul bolts build.
Warlocks are perfectly fine strikers these days... ever since they got supplemental support from Dragon and, particularly, the two new pacts any of them can be built to hit the standard benchmarks and there are any number of ways of building them to hit the CharOp striker benchmarks. The idea that Warlocks aren't good strikers is 2-3 years out of date.
Alcestis: can you help me out with a rough worked example at say level 16?  Daily-nova drops at-level standard, and (practical) at-will DPR drops a standard ever 3rd round?

I don't see how to get that out of a (non-melee) warlock after low heroic, so would appreciate pointers. 

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

Alcestis: can you help me out with a rough worked example at say level 16?  Daily-nova drops at-level standard, and (practical) at-will DPR drops a standard ever 3rd round?

I don't see how to get that out of a (non-melee) warlock after low heroic, so would appreciate pointers. 

Hellish Rebuke is still a perfectly viable way of doing multi-attacking. Hit someone twice, damage yourself, do 4 damage instances. Quickened Spellcasting for minor attack in Epic for 6 damage instances. Boring as all get out, but...

Sure, it won't damage them again until you get to use it on your next turn, but... 
Hellish Rebuke spam on a SFW.  Ok.  That should certainly hit the Nova bar.  Will it hit the at-will bar?

Edit: and other approaches?

[sblock HR Spammer build outline]
18/14 array, Con/Dex.  Int just causes problems.
Race: fey, with Con bonus.  (Satyr, Wilden) Preferably small (Svirfneblin)
Theme: Sariel Feywarden
Feats:
  AIP (Light Blade)
  Superior Implement: Incendiary Dagger
  White Lotus Dueling Expertise
  Dual Implement Spellcaster
  Improved Defenses
  TBD
  Fiery Blood

Relevant Powers:
  Hellish Rebuke
  Ethereal Sidestep
Gear: 
  Highest-plus implement you can find for the main hand, or Goblin Totem if small.
  Shadowrift Dagger (off hand)
  Fire dragonshard
  Armor of "I have CA vs. cursed things"

1d6+Con(6)
Static @ 11: 3(enh)+2(DiS)+3(sup impl.)+3(Shard)+3(feat) = 14(+3 if Goblin Totem)

Nova Sequence, assume things cursed on round 1 (meep, hate that assumption)
Move: get concealment, and get close to dead thing.
Minor: Sarifel's Blessing
Standard: HR: 1d6+6+14+2d6+10(Vuln) =~ 40.5
AP: same, minus curse.  33.5
Free: teleport, and take damage
HR 1 kicker: same as  AP attack: 33.5
HR 2 kicker: same as  AP attack: 33.5

Total: 33.5*4+7 = 141  Level 11 standard is more like 120hp.

You're still a bit shy of actions: minors to curse, moves to get positioning benefits.  Eek.  You can pick up cunning stalker as your CA source instead of the armor, and just not curse... doesn't quite feel like a warlock then.
[/sblock]

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

P.S. ArelOfAikala I like your suggestions but I am not sure he will be interested in defender

Might check:
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Regarding the Warlock|Swordmage. Found in the Ultimate Defenders thread. But again, only useful if they want a defender. 
kilpatds> Don't forget twofold pact and elemental pact.  If the pact boon had gone off and you had not cursed someone, you could have the curse give vulnerable 10 vs your element.  It is easy with gloves of eldritch admixture to have your curse damage be that type.  I think only thunder is not applied.  And the elemental pact specifically stacks with all other vulnerabilities.

One possible option is a force weapon.

Original damage type > force weapon > force damage > elemental pact makes it match your damage type anyways and use the element you apply the vulnerability to.   
But then you give up the option for the element-relevant superior implement, and the paragon elemental damage feat.  And that still requires that you only use your nova in later rounds, vs. when you can be confident you'll have the freedom to do so.

The Elemental Pact is a lot easier to manage than people make it out to be. At the end of a rest you roll a die. You get whatever. You use your Second Wind. It is now exactly what you want it to be and stays that way till you take another rest. Don't rest till the next encounter is over. Basically you have a 0% chance of not having what you want and a 20% chance of having your SW available in an actual fight. That is a damn nice trade-off, with the caveat that the Vuln only works on the 2-X enemies that you curse in a fight and you are using a Force weapon, so you probably lack an item bonus to anything but either Eldritch Strike or Eldritch Blast. You do have to spend a surge when you SW, but past the first encounter of the day you probably need to spend a surge to get back up to full anyway. It isn't as surge efficient as multiple short-rests and letting your leader get those extra dice, but most groups don't bother to do that anyway.

You also don't need to use a move action to gain Shadow Walk in the first round of a fight, you were after all probably walking into the fight.

So something like... Tiefling Warlock with Sorcerer King+Elemental Pact/Seer of Endings

Minor: Curse
Minor: Gaze of Ruin, Inflicting Vuln 20 (half-level+int+int) to all damage.
Eldritch Blast via Deathly Glare (Seer of Endings encounter power): +24 (CA+Prime Shot) vs Ref, 1d10 (base), +2d10 (Deathly Glare)+3d8 (Curse/Mindbite/Wrath), +4 (Enhance), +3 (Incendiary), +3 (Khyber), +3 (Elemental Focus), +6 (Cha), +5 (Called Shot), +20 (Vuln). 74 average damage and hitting on a 4+.

An AP would add another attack and another instance of Vuln 6 (from the PP's AP feature) which would kill a standard handily.

Now is that top-class? No. You run into action economy issues constantly, you do lack minor action attacks (though not off-action attacks, Warlocks have some stunning good IR and II encounter powers), etc., but it does meet 30/60/90 at-will benchmarks (toss on some RBA gear and it does, really), and you can one-round a standard every other encounter (as long as you don't miss, but that is a standard caveat). It isn't even fully optimized, that is a Blue PP that you have to take a feat to access, I just like the theme of inflicting vulnerabilities.
Can't Gaze of Ruin can only target objects?

The campaign will start in paragon, aroud 12 to 14.

Could you maybe give us an idea of the optimization level you guys play at? For example, are you basing the warlord and ranger on CharOp builds, or playing it more loosely?

People saying that warlocks can't be strikers and advising things like rebreathers are giving you really high-end op advice. In what I would consider a "regular" game, he can do fine by just following the handbook and making good choices based on the ratings there. So it can be important to distinguish between "I want to build a good warlock" and "I want to build the best arcane striker/controller possible." Because most of the posters here will be giving you the latter.
Actually, looking at the at-will, I'm thinking "just cope with not knowing your element".  You lose the damage bonus from your superior implement (just take "accurate").  You take a shard-of-the-mage, so no change there.  You lose your elemental "soul" feat, but replace it with Implement Focus(-1) for a net -3/4/5 damage.

Called Shot is kinda required, but since it adds to both taps of your at-will it makes up for the rest.

In return, it's an at-will two-tap, with vulnerability for role-appropriate damage multiplication.  Chose psychic/poison damage powers or a psychic/force/poison conversion weapon, and just be happy.  Your nova is, admitedly, a little lacking. SFW will help get the first creature down and get the party started after that.  Use encounters (with elemental conversion to force|psychic) when you need control, or your at-will when it's just damage.

I'm not convinced it hits "par" with enough room to spare, but I think it can hit par in multiple forms, and will feels like a ranged warlock.  LFR problems (if you play with another warlock), but not an issue for a "normal" D&D party.

[...]
I proposed Sorceror but was not really insisting because I was not sure if they have good single target damage options.

That smells like "Sorcerer" to me.

Yeah, sorcerers don't have too great single-target damage options (Demon Bolts comes to mind as one great single-target option).  They just have broken-good AoE damage options such that single targets still die.  (SFW, Flame Spiral, Fire Optimization).  I'm not seeing the problem.

"Firegoat"?

Can't Gaze of Ruin can only target objects?

Ah, damn, forgot that. What I get for building things in my head.

@Kilt: You're also losing SIPs 2/3/4 damage bonus. So net -3/4/5 to damage. And, in the case of Tieflings, you could also be losing +1 hit/+1 damage. Though if you don't need a conversion weapon of any kind it opens up using Staff of Ruin, which adds back an easy item bonus to all damage.
Yeah, I was including the SiP loss, just had the numbers wrong.  Didn't include Tiefling fire issues.