Absorbing Powers and using them yourself

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
I need help with a character for my wife.

I asked her if she could have a character than could do anything what would she like the character do be able to do.  After giving it quite a lot of thought, she said she would like a mage type character that absorbs differnent elements from around her and uses them as powers.

I am pretty sure that you can create any character you want in Dnd with a little thought but am a little stuck on this one!

The absorb could be enemy attacks or just drawing power from the elements around.

The character has to be level 11. Other than that it is a free for all.

My first thoughts were a Genasi Elementalist am sure there is something out there that will fit the bill better.

Thanks in advance as always.

Honestly, this just isn;t something you can do in D&D.  You could get some inelegant reflavouring of a few dominates and retargetting interrupts, but PCs simply aren't build to use monster powers and vice versa.

Maybe a swordmage with lots of retargetting interrupts...
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

The character doesn't need to have monsters powers, it just needs to be able to either:

a) when hit by a monster absorb some of the attack, and then use a similar attack back. So could have lots of resistances, and lots of different elemental attacks.

So is attacked by fire, somehow resist it, then next attack uses a fire attack. For example

b) Draws magical energy from things around them to cast different spells in different environments.

Maybe just a wizard with some refluffed defensive interrupts, like shield.

Sorcs have innate resists, and there are plenty of ways to match that damage with magic weapons and the like.
It doesn't work for all elements, but can be done easily enough for lightning or fire with the respective soul feats in paragon. Take lightning damage, some arc's back at another enemy, or take fire damage and some explodes back at adjacent enemies. There is even a particular bladesinger build for that known as the generator. The Breach Warden PP will also give a similar benefit against a single chosen element, whenever you take damage of that type, certain other enemies also take some of it.
It doesn't work for all elements, but can be done easily enough for lightning or fire with the respective soul feats in paragon. Take lightning damage, some arc's back at another enemy, or take fire damage and some explodes back at adjacent enemies. There is even a particular bladesinger build for that known as the generator. The Breach Warden PP will also give a similar benefit against a single chosen element, whenever you take damage of that type, certain other enemies also take some of it.

This sound good!

What source are these in?
I think Dark Pact Warlock fits the retribution part, Gloves of Eldritch Admixture can flip Curse damage to 3 energy types.

You could refluff getting more powerful for being hit, as turning the attack against the enemy. Several builds can do that, Wrathful Runepriest and Retribution Avenger come to mind.

Maybe a white Lotus Riposte build could be refluffed to do this as well? A straight up or hybrid Warlock? Maybe a Hexblade, maybe a Half-elf Knight?

Making enemies attack you so you can trigger some actions or bonuses is difficult for a ranged "mage type" character. I think refluffing an "up-close type" character is much easier for the task at hand.
Or you can play the humble homebrew class; the Blue Mage, which is built around absorbing monster powers.
I am currently playing it in a game and have had lots of fun so far ((note you have to work with your DM abit but it's proven no biggy on my end))

It's hard to find now adays since FFshadow has removed all his content (*waves angrey first*) but I have a copy DLed/Scanned if you want it (just PM me)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/1.jpg)

This sound good!

What source are these in?

Ah, the Generator, almost forgot about that one. You can find the basic premise and further optimization of the concept with Breach Warden somewhere down this post.
This is just flavor, right? So why all the trouble? You can describe any power as taking energy from your surroudings or enemies.
This is just flavor, right? So why all the trouble? You can describe any power as taking energy from your surroudings or enemies.

It would be nice to have some back up to it mechinical. I think one of the main things will be being able to use lots of differnt elemental types of damge

Optimisation is much easier if you choose one element and get all your stuff to buff that element. If you are divided then you will be conquered.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
The Rod of Absorption may be a good fit thematically.
Genasi, Elemental Tempest, Storm + Fire for Shocking Flame boost and double defense bonus I suppose.
A couple more options:

If you're willing to use Wilden as your race, you could take the Aspect of the Elements feat.

Elemental Pact Hexblade Warlocks get access to powers like Elemental Wrath. And all Warlocks have access to the Chaos Armor 6th level utility. 
Refluffing a "Charm" power that makes a monster
use an MBA against it's boys/dawgs = close enough.

"Human As Monster" as a Companion Character
could snag a couple of MM3 abilities.  I posted
this about 3 years ago ... I'm sure I meant something.
(as a tangent, I had to order a pizza since then)
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
Grab the Varoot Neera and the Serpent Of Nihal powers.

Here comes your 19th forums breakdown ... ohh who's to blame, it ain't 5E driving you insane.

My first thought was also the Generator. Well, that and the fact that this can be done just fine entirely through fluff. Maybe get that sword that can switch between three elemental types?
What is this sword called? And what source is it in?

When is anything in any of your posts NOT a tangent Tongue Out
What is this sword called? And what source is it in?

Guess I could have taken the 10 seconds to look it up, huh. 

Spellsoul Blade, level 14+, Dragon 414

DM chooses three of acid, cold, fire, force, lightning, necrotic, radiant, and thunder when the item is made. It has an encounter power that lets you pick one of those three types to apply to all your attacks.

I'd imagine you could houserule out the "DM chooses three" part to make it even more versatile without really making it much stronger.

When is anything in any of your posts NOT a tangent

See ... with 2 tangents I have contact
and according to 2e this means I can
tag Telepathy powers on the contactee.

Its a secret plan to dominate the (oops)

Here comes your 19th forums breakdown ... ohh who's to blame, it ain't 5E driving you insane.

When is anything in any of your posts NOT a tangent

Well tangents have to at least touch on the actual topic at hand, so I'd put it at about 50/50...
Well it stops your DM from being a dick and choosing acid, force and necrotic.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein